• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Man, opinions are going to be all over the place for this. Starting to sound like 'not really Paradise 2', which will not sit well with some of us Paradise fans.

It's still a similar game. Not exactly the same but definitely similar.

Any word on which is the better sku?

The consoles are going to be very similar. Probably best to make your decision based on controller and friends list for multiplayer.

Of course sound will be better on PS3, and it's possible it could have tiny graphical advantages. But most people won't even notice such things.

This is the first game I'm paying full price for in a long time. BP is probably my favorite arcade racer ever, and HP was incredibly good as well.

Little nervous hearing about the structure and lack of content in these early impressions (combined with alleged poor PC performance), but I'd be surprised if Criterion could make a "bad" arcade racer, or even an average one. When they make primarily A++ racers and this one is an B++, I'll still be happy with it.

Huh? Sorry, I missed that. Are folks claiming that this doesn't have a fair amount of content? Everything that I've read and heard makes it sound like a pretty big game.

Mikeside

I'm not being defensive at all. I'm just not understanding your comments about Autolog having problems because people don't have friends who play the game.

It's like saying Halo 4 has problems, because you don't have friends to play co-op with.

I don't think Hot Pursuit was built around Autolog at all. It's an awesome racing game, with lots of events to race. On top of that great game is this thing called Autolog, and if you have friends it make the game even better, but the game was already awesome without Autolog.

At least they're being up front about it, and it was probably a wise move on EA's part as it's getting the game a lot of attention on YouTube.

Co-Op isn't QUITE the same, because you only need 1-3 other people to fully enjoy most co-op games and you don't generally build a community around co-oping the same campaign multiple times.

A better comparison would probably be Borderlands 2. I think it's a shame that B2 doesn't have some kind of group/clan system where you can compare characters and loot, arrange co-op sessions, etc in the same way that I think it's a shame Autolog doesn't help pull you into a similar community.

I'm not shitting on the game, but I DO think it's a huge missed opportunity.

I played exclusively Red Alert 2 for YEARS. The game wasn't THAT good, it's because I found a community built around it and it was the thing we had in common, so we played a lot. People will be doing that with games still now, but if the game provides all of the tools to meet other players and build a community all from in-game/on a menu, imagine how powerful that could be?

Edit: The other half of my argument is still that whilst I really enjoyed Hot Pursuit, I felt it was an incomplete experience because I didn't have that same community topping each other aspect that I felt with Motorstorm RC, and thus I only played it for a few weeks. I still crack Motorstorm out to see if there are anybody's times I can beat

But, the Vita's small screen will lead to more head-on collisions than you might like. It can be really hard to see what's coming up - the horizon just looks like a blur of pixels and blue headlights, shortly before you slam into a tree or a lorry.

no gates and no dirt.

doesn't sound fantastic. No gates to smash through would be a real downer, was one of the most enjoyable parts of BP

Gates and Dirt confirmed. Vita saved.

2012-10-29-211152.jpg

2012-10-29-211215.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, I want three versions.

PS3 for more friends times to beat and multiple accounts so my son can play his own save game without messing up mine

Vita because it just looks great

PC because even on my laptop I should be able to run it in 1080p with low details and still be better looking than console.

Spookie

Added a bunch of people to my Origin friends list. Mine is tehspookeh.

My quick initial thoughts so far (PC)

There is not enough content: So far it's been unlock car see another 5 races, all the races feel the same with only variety in the locations that you drive. Compared to Forza with it's closed circuit races, street races, various PR events, off road racing and on road racing. It feels like there is more content in the latter. The way the cars have different characteristics really emphasizes this. While I'm speaking of Forza while it shares it's love for comparing you to your friends it doesn't feel like the core of the game. It feels like something that complements the core package while in here it feels like if you don't have a populated friends list you're missing out on other race modes and things to do.

It doesn't have the different types of cars present in Paradise. Which means cars so far feel familiar the only difference being which is more squirely in the corners. Speaking of cars- what is with you having to unlock nitro in EVERY FUCKING CAR.

Performance on the PC so far is OK but spotty with some significant FPS drops.

Again I should point out this is only a hour of play and I've only done one most wanted race. But so far it hasn't gripped me like Forza did last week. I put that disc in and didn't move for 4 hours. I've happily just put NFS down after a hour feeling ok with waiting till other people pick it up to populate my autolog.

Edit: Sorry to be a downer guys but Forza really spoiled me last week. Had I not been playing it over the weekend I can't help but compare the two. Especially since they are released within a week of each other.

Does the Vita version have traffic at all? I already feel like the console/PC version looks a little anemic, population-wise.

Not much. It's really a shame too. The city really feels lifeless in the videos I've seen.

It looks quite nice with the lighting and all, but damn is that missing traffic noticeable.

ttocs

Anyone know when the day 1 digital version on the PSN becomes available? Is it a midnight download or does it come out next day during it's normal update of the store?

OmegaZero

Trying to decide whether to go Vita or console for this one. My understanding is the vita version is the same?

It has some of the longer races removed (with exclusive races added to make up for removed content) and multiplayer is limited to 4 players (console has 8), but other then that it is the same.
Well, the visuals have been downgraded too but that's obvious.

Man, opinions are going to be all over the place for this. Starting to sound like 'not really Paradise 2', which will not sit well with some of us Paradise fans.

I've heard of not liking a sequel because it strays too far from the original, but this is an entirely different franchise. Why are gamers so self entitled?

I've heard of not liking a sequel because it strays too far from the original, but this is an entirely different franchise. Why are gamers so self entitled?

Nah, not trying to be 'that guy', but Paradise really, really busted my very old racing game cherry, and I want Criterion to top that, is all. I LOVED Paradise, and you never forget your first...

Well, I just preordered the PS3 version on PSN. I figure it's actually 10 dollars off since there's no tax. If I went retail it'd be $63 as opposed to $53 online with Plus. I just wish they let you preload the game.

Skyzard

Banned
What's the verdict on the setting/map ? Have you guys uncovered fun areas to mess around in like BP? I remember in the interview it was made out to be packed with may more jumps and that but someone described it as BP's little bro..

BTW, are all the stunt missions online?

VanWinkle

What's the verdict on the setting/map ? Have you guys uncovered fun areas to mess around in like BP? I remember in the interview it was made out to be packed with may more jumps and that but someone described it as BP's little bro..

Yeah, I want to know if there's a decent variety in locales, like BP.

Nowhere near as fun to explore as BP, IMO.

Skyzard

Banned
:'(

Explored it all? ... must be something we're missing :S Maybe it needed to be simple for NFS :/ But with the all the simple wide ass roads...it's looking a little stale in SP :S Needs more fun loops and that..Hmm will still get it, hopefully not so bad..

:'(

Explored it all? ... must be something we're missing :S Maybe it needed to be simple for NFS :/ But with the all the simple wide ass roads...it's looking a little stale in SP :S Needs more fun loops and that..Hmm will still get it, hopefully not so bad..
Its very similiar to Paradise, just not having as much fun with it.

Main problem with the game is the variety just isn't there. Takedowns aren't nearly as fun as BP (no takedown events, no cinematic replays) and pursuits aren't as exciting as HP without items or being able to play as the cops. Also, I have 34 cars but since the one I'm using is outfitted with good items - I don't want to drive anything else since they're so inferior.

ismaboof

You know what's really annoying? Hitting traffic in a race because the game wants to tell me SLAM YOU TOOK DOWN THAT CAR and puts that info right infront of my car.

Otherwise, game's fun. Cars do not handle like BP. This is not BP. I wish this was BP2, but it's not BP2.

Skyzard

Banned
Its very similiar to Paradise

Hmm bit confused now :

you just earlier :P said:
Nowhere near as fun to explore as BP, IMO.

Do you mean the road designs and that? As in a lack of extra fun areas? Or is it the style (island-ish) of the environment in BP that you preferred?

ismaboof said:
You know what's really annoying? Hitting traffic in a race because the game wants to tell me SLAM YOU TOOK DOWN THAT CAR and puts that info right infront of my car.

There's no need to centre that info so much...in a high speed racing game with lots of collisions that are drawn out and punishing -- just makes you question why the hell that made it into the final game. It's not exactly a small distraction. Just dumb.

Top Bottom