• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Hmm bit confused now :

Do you mean the road designs and that? So just a lack of extra fun areas? Or is it the style of the environment in BP that you preferred?
Its hard to explain but i just preferred the environment in BP. Also I wanted to collect EVERYTHING in that game but don't have the same drive (pardon the pun) in this game.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Should I be at all concerned that EA is basically pulling the same "throw it to the wolves" approach to marketing this as they did to Medal of Honor? I want to pick the game up - I liked Hot Pursuit, I loved Burnout Paradise, and if this game is a suitable mix of qualities of either/both games I'll probably walk away happy... but there are zero reviews out, and after the crap that was pulled with MoH I'm worried there's a reason no one seems to have received review copies.

Should I be at all concerned that EA is basically pulling the same "throw it to the wolves" approach to marketing this as they did to Medal of Honor? I want to pick the game up - I liked Hot Pursuit, I loved Burnout Paradise, and if this game is a suitable mix of qualities of either/both games I'll probably walk away happy... but there are zero reviews out, and after the crap that was pulled with MoH I'm worried there's a reason no one seems to have received review copies.

It's far far better than a 5/10 game; it's a solid 8. Good combo of BP, HP but not as good as either.

Visit the first post in this thread. There are reviews with very high scores.

Also, they allowed a bunch of media outlets to post gameplay videos in the past week. They're not handling it like MOH at all.

netBuff

There are a few reviews already out, reviewers do have advance copies of NfS: MW. General review embargoes ending at the same time a games releases are extremely common and typical even for very good games. There are also plenty of long-form videos of the game on the net, take a look at GameSpot's great "Now Playing", for example: http://youtu.be/-f-X_kvp-Pg

MoH was handled completely differently, with no advance copies given to reviewers so they couldn't be put up in time for the game's release.

One thing I'd like to know: Is DJ Atomika on Crash FM back?

Played about an hour so far, unlocked 2 most wanted challenges and beat one and took the car out. This game is fun! I love all the autolog stuff for speed cameras and billboards. I am glad I added all of you guys :lol tried to jump into a public multiplayer game but because it technically isn't out in the US or Europe it was dead :lol

FStop7

Banned
So I went to Gamestop to reserve AC3 and I'm not sure exactly what happened, but somehow I walked out of there with a receipt for both AC3 and NFS:MW.

newsguy

So I went to Gamestop to reserve AC3 and I'm not sure exactly what happened, but somehow I walked out of there with a receipt for both AC3 and NFS:MW.

I almost did the same but I really want to get the most out of Horizon before moving on to another open world racer.

Can someone with the PS3 version report whether or not you noticed any framerate issues?

We've had 360 users report some drops are noticeable, and I'd really like to know if the PS3 is any better.

Are these actual dips in frame rate, or is it a hitch in the streaming of data in a new area? Don't know if anyone can truly answer that, but the latter seems more likely to me. In any case, it's disappointing.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nope, and there's no VSync option, so I'm locked to 60 FPS. On my 680 SLI system I'm getting a few drops when going down long view distance streets, with the lowest FPS being 45 so far.

I take it SLI simply doesnt work right?
Cuz two 680s should struggle to play any game with no AA even at 4K resolutions.
I imaging you dont play at past 4K resolutions right?

Terribly optimized.....god no!

So it is Frostbite.
It is Frostbite.
Criterion have jumped the shark. The beginning of the end.

Its not FrostBite just look at the file structure and hunt for a FrostBite credit or splash screen you wont find one
Its the newest version of Chameleon which in turn was a modified version of the Paradise/Renderware engine. (they didnt name shit before Chameleon)

I'm pretty sure that thise Postprocessing dust filter can be turned off in POSTFX.BNDL but how to tweak?
edit: ok switching thread

Id would be one hell of a mission to backwards engineer the post fx bundle.....im sure someone will eventually check each and every file finding what each one actually does....i can almost guarantee without some sort of passive file replacing what you take out the engine will crash quite brutally.

Opening Bundle files isnt the problem its figuring out what the files within the bundle actually mean.....without someone to test crash the game or the developer notes to tell us we are running blind randomly removing/replacing files hoping the one we remove is the dust filter assuming the dust filter is just one file.

ismaboof

Are these actual dips in frame rate, or is it a hitch in the streaming of data in a new area? Don't know if anyone can truly answer that, but the latter seems more likely to me. In any case, it's disappointing.

PS3

I have literally run out of road & city because the game could not stream it in fast enough. Froze for a couple seconds and then mad pop in. Happened once in the approx. 3 hours I played tonight.

Also just finally finished a 30 min pursuit because the cops would not leave me the fuck alone. I'm just trying to go to bed!

Yeah, this game is fun. Technically, it's disappointing. I would have rather had less lighting effects and better performance, but this game's fun. I can't wait to crack open multiplayer challenges on Saturday.

EDIT: Framerate problems seem to happen when many cars are getting damage modelled. Road blocks, and particularly busy crash scenes for me.

And my trophies won't sync. I assume this will be fixed tomorrow?

Happens in 360 version too. ALWAYS at roadblocks.

Do you play using optical audio by chance? Have you noticed any sound dropouts when these big pileups occur?

I experienced that playing Hot Pursuit on 360 using an optical audio cable. During some intense scenes the sound would cut out for a split second. I'm curious to know if this is still an issue with Most Wanted?

PS3

I have literally run out of road & city because the game could not stream it in fast enough. Froze for a couple seconds and then mad pop in. Happened once in the approx. 3 hours I played tonight.

Also just finally finished a 30 min pursuit because the cops would not leave me the fuck alone. I'm just trying to go to bed!

Yeah, this game is fun. Technically, it's disappointing. I would have rather had less lighting effects and better performance, but this game's fun. I can't wait to crack open multiplayer challenges on Saturday.

EDIT: Framerate problems seem to happen when many cars are getting damage modelled. Road blocks, and particularly busy crash scenes for me.

And my trophies won't sync. I assume this will be fixed tomorrow?

I'm still kinda shocked Criterion shipped a game in that state.

Is the framerate generally stable when driving around and racing? Are the drops mainly limited to big police pileups?

Your trophies will sync whenever Sony's people get around to it. For some strange reason this continues to be a problem years after trophies where introduced.

ismaboof

Is the framerate generally stable when driving around and racing? Are the drops mainly limited to big police pileups?

Your trophies will sync whenever Sony's people get around to it. For some strange reason this continues to be a problem years after trophies where introduced.

There was 1.01 patch when I popped it in my ps3 too. Have no idea what it did. Framerate is generally stable when driving around and racing. I wouldn't call it smooth per say, but it is very much playable. Note that I was playing Paradise last night, so the transition from Paradise smooth to this is quite jarring. Especially with colour. Fuck is this game stale. I can't tell what's a gate and what's a barrier when driving. It's all brown.

But I also just played this game single player for 3hrs straight. Maybe I'm partly running off Paradise highs, but I do find this game fun. If I didn't get this game for free (gift card) I'd be chapped though.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm relieved I decided to buy a physical copy. I don't know if this game will suck me in or if I'm better served trading it in for $40-$50, waiting for it to hit $20, and buying it again once some time (and hopefully patches) goes by. We'll see how multiplayer is when I get into it this weekend.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
AC3 might be in trouble, too. The dev who ported From Dust and Future Soldier is handling the PC port.

God no?
Is AC3 DX11....cuz if it is i am very very scared....DX9 im okay cuz they did AC:R.
Future Soldier at launch that was straight up unplayable.
Unless im mistaken the 1.4 patch doesnt actually solve the DX11 issues it simply turns down the settings.

I'm getting 30-50FPS on my 680 with everything jacked to the max, but the game isn't fully utilizing the gpu. Shit sucks.
sds.png

demolitio

we talked about this on the Steam thread. Im not too worried cause they also ported AC: Revelations and that was totally fine.

I hope so. That news almost makes me want to pick up the console version tomorrow and just save the month wait.

Is it worth it to just get the Vita version of Most Wanted? I'd like to have another Vita game, but don't want to feel I'm compromising on much. I know they did a good job, but is the lack of traffic a huge difference in races?

Do you play using optical audio by chance? Have you noticed any sound dropouts when these big pileups occur?

I experienced that playing Hot Pursuit on 360 using an optical audio cable. During some intense scenes the sound would cut out for a split second. I'm curious to know if this is still an issue with Most Wanted?

I use optical audio, havent noticed any sound dropouts

There was 1.01 patch when I popped it in my ps3 too. Have no idea what it did. Framerate is generally stable when driving around and racing. I wouldn't call it smooth per say, but it is very much playable. Note that I was playing Paradise last night, so the transition from Paradise smooth to this is quite jarring. Especially with colour. Fuck is this game stale. I can't tell what's a gate and what's a barrier when driving. It's all brown.

But I also just played this game single player for 3hrs straight. Maybe I'm partly running off Paradise highs, but I do find this game fun. If I didn't get this game for free (gift card) I'd be chapped though.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm relieved I decided to buy a physical copy. I don't know if this game will suck me in or if I'm better served trading it in for $40-$50, waiting for it to hit $20, and buying it again once some time (and hopefully patches) goes by. We'll see how multiplayer is when I get into it this weekend.

Interesting what you said about it looking bland. I noted a page or two back in this thread how the 360 version looked notably more vibrant than the PS3, in a like for like video. I noted that it could have just been a difference in the capture method, but now I'm beginning to wonder if the two versions really are that different.

I use optical audio, havent noticed any sound dropouts

Thanks!

Lothars

I got it earlier today and it's really good, I've only played a couple races but it definitely reminds me of Burnout Paradise.

ismaboof

I noted a page or two back in this thread how the 360 version looked notably more vibrant than the PS3, in a like for like video. I noted that it could have just been a difference in the capture method, but now I'm beginning to wonder if the two versions really are that different.

lol what the hell is going on with this game? All these impressions are very un-criterion.

Skyzard

Banned
iOS has better shadows from that footage (I think) then the vita version...can sort of let that slide...but it has the ground reflections (wet look) too! Little disappointing vita missed out on that as it does look like it makes a difference.

Game runs fine for me on PC, phew. Anyone know how to do custom soundtracks on PC? That was a thing, right? I swear I heard they'd be supporting that.

lol what the hell is going on with this game? All these impressions are very un-criterion.

Yeah, it's all very strange. I'll be very curious to see the Digital Foundry analysis in a few days. Maybe even tomorrow, but I doubt it. The game doesn't come out in the U.K for a few more days.

iOS has better shadows from that footage (I think) then the vita version...can sort of let that slide...but it has the ground reflections (wet look) too! Little disappointing vita missed out on that as it does look like it makes a difference.

It's not really a fair comparison. The Vita version has the entire open world to render. The iOS version does not. That's a big difference.

It looks pretty good. And yes I noticed the wet reflections! The iPad3 houses the same GPU as the Vita, but Vita is a dedicated gaming machine with like 4x less the pixels to push, yet it doesn't have *some* graphical features that, by the iOS video above, should be more than capable of handling!

I know I know. One is a open world game, the other isn't. One is still better graphically overall (Vita version) than the other. But I swear I do not understand how can those Vita shadows be so low res. I'd prefer no shadows over that eyesore. Clearly EA couldn't be bothered much by the Vita release. The Vita could do more than this. Maybe not much more, but it could do a bit.

But being arrested means what exactly?! I've seen videos and from what I've seen being busted does nothing! I saw a guy losing a 10 minute chase only to be dropped on the road with... No consequence. I really liked the car strikes in MW... I liked I won money to buy things... This game lacks in progression. It's just mindless single races and single pursuits. In the meantime you can definitely have fun exploring billboards/gates/jumps, but it's just shallow. I'd like to buy my own cars, have insta-challenges like in TDU and Forza Horizon, and buy items like spike strips of my own, mods, more mods like increase the number of strikes a car could get, etc, etc, etc.

They streamlined the game too much from what I can see.

Playing now on PS3. Only notable issue with framerate is when tires smoke. Game looks pretty awesome though, especially while racing. Doing a 180 to evade cops and watch them smash into walls or drive off hills/freeways is hilarious.

CaLe

I can't launch the game on Origin... I press play, nothing happens. The game just doesn't launch.

Grr.. Is this happening to anyone else ? Any fix ?

Ferny

Im loving the game right now its awesome. Feels much like BP but the driving has more weight to it. Going to need to add some you buddies to really get into all the records and autolog stuff though.

Im loving the game right now its awesome. Feels much like BP but the driving has more weight to it. Going to need to add some you buddies to really get into all the records and autolog stuff though.
Your description of how it feels is spot on. I can't access the gamertag/PSN list in this thread but I'll get to it later. My PSN name if anyone wants to add me is McWorked_You.

Mairu

I like the game so far but I definitely prefer the more arcadey racing controls in Burnout to the more 'realistic' weight found here. It's just more fun to me, and I definitely miss the cutscene-type things you get when you take down other drivers in Burnout. I hope someday we get another real Burnout game :(

CaLe

This fucking sucks... Is the game not compatible with Windows 8 ? Been trying to launch it for the past 20 minutes, nothing.

An origin popup appears saying something related to Cloud Syncing, it closes, and that's it...

Just played for about an hour (PC) and loved every minute. Can't wait to dive in seriously this weekend. Added my info to the Google Docs list, I've never had anyone actually in my Autolog so feel free to add me! Origin handle is "babydhibs."

Luckily I got OK performance, despite playing on our secondary rig (5770 and Phenom II X3). Had to turn off AO and drop shadows to medium but framerate seemed generally fine with occasional drops. Still, planning on installing it on our heavy-duty gaming PC this weekend, and seeing how that goes!

Top Bottom