• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

I like the game so far but I definitely prefer the more arcadey racing controls in Burnout to the more 'realistic' weight found here. It's just more fun to me, and I definitely miss the cutscene-type things you get when you take down other drivers in Burnout. I hope someday we get another real Burnout game :(
I'm definitely missing the takedown cameras too. I feel as if that's Criterion's trademark.

lepo

iOS has better shadows from that footage (I think) then the vita version...can sort of let that slide...but it has the ground reflections (wet look) too! Little disappointing vita missed out on that as it does look like it makes a difference.

I am happy we got the vita version the way it is. It would have been very disappointing to get the ios version ported to vita

that said it would have been great to have more lighting & shaders effects, but I guess Criterion didn't have enough resources and time

I know I know. One is a open world game, the other isn't. One is still better graphically overall (Vita version) than the other. But I swear I do not understand how can those Vita shadows be so low res. I'd prefer no shadows over that eyesore. Clearly EA couldn't be bothered much by the Vita release. The Vita could do more than this. Maybe not much more, but it could do a bit. .

Low res shadows have been an issue in a few games on Vita, Uncharted and i think MGS HD & Ninja Gaiden as well. Hope it's just inexperience and will go away with 2nd generation titles. But yeah a shame cause it's fairly obvious, when i think Wipeout has nice shadows.

CaLe

Try repair install, might be corrupt files preventing the game to launch.

Yeah tried that, still nothing... Seriously pissed.

I even tried running in compatibility mode, doesn't work.

I really don't know what the problem is, and I doubt very much I'd get a refund...

Wonko_C

I'd like to buy my own cars, have insta-challenges like in TDU and Forza Horizon, and buy items like spike strips of my own, mods, more mods like increase the number of strikes a car could get, etc, etc, etc.

They streamlined the game too much from what I can see.

Agreed 100%. I find it funny that people expected a Burnout Paradise sequel from a friggin' NEED FOR SPEED game, this doesn't even deserve the Most Wanted subtitle: No visual upgrades (neon, spoilers, rims, vinyl stickers), no pursuit breakers, no speedbreaker, no tollbooth and speedtrap races (AFAIK), no drag races, no knockout races, no pusuit challenges, no impound strikes, where is Razor Callahan? Where is Sgt. Cross!?

This fucking sucks... Is the game not compatible with Windows 8 ? Been trying to launch it for the past 20 minutes, nothing.

An origin popup appears saying something related to Cloud Syncing, it closes, and that's it...

Putting my personal feelings for Windows 8 aside, is there even a stable release of Windows 8 out?

Xander51

Putting my personal feelings for Windows 8 aside, is there even a stable release of Windows 8 out?

Yes. The final version has been out since Friday.

This thread has discouraged me on this game. I was thinking of getting it but now I think I'll pass. Glad I read these impressions! Sounds like there's just not enough content here, especially compared to Forza.

OmegaZero

Agreed 100%. I find it funny that people expected a Burnout Paradise sequel from a friggin' NEED FOR SPEED game, this doesn't even deserve the Most Wanted subtitle: No visual upgrades (neon, spoilers, rims, vinyl stickers), no pursuit breakers, no speedbreaker, no tollbooth and speedtrap races (AFAIK), no drag races, no knockout races, no pusuit challenges, no impound strikes, where is Razor Callahan? Where is Sgt. Cross!?

Criterion's been pretty clear that this was their own take on the Most Wanted concept and that they were not trying to emulate the previous one.
Just saying.

GiLL7486

Neo Member
This fucking sucks... Is the game not compatible with Windows 8 ? Been trying to launch it for the past 20 minutes, nothing.

An origin popup appears saying something related to Cloud Syncing, it closes, and that's it...

Works for me running Windows 8 Pro x64.

Have you tried redownloading/reinstalling? Or maybe try turning off Cloud Sync?

Mairu

Yes. The final version has been out since Friday.

This thread has discouraged me on this game. I was thinking of getting it but now I think I'll pass. Glad I read these impressions! Sounds like there's just not enough content here, especially compared to Forza.

I wish I read these impressions before buying into the pre-launch hype. If any game journalist described this as Burnout Paradise 2, they should be fired and banned from writing about racing games. The more I play it the more I get frustrated with it :|

AND WHY IS THIS WORLD FULL OF SO MUCH BLOOM EVERYWHERE

I'm getting 30-50FPS on my 680 with everything jacked to the max, but the game isn't fully utilizing the gpu. Shit sucks.
sds.png

well that game is now a 5$ steam sale bargain bin for me... Nice try EA.

CaLe

Works for me running Windows 8 Pro x64.

Have you tried redownloading/reinstalling? Or maybe try turning off Cloud Sync?

Actually I just figured out the problem... Believe it or not, the game won't launch if you have multiple monitors.

I actually had to disable all my monitors except the main one.

Sigh...

Actually I just figured out the problem... Believe it or not, the game won't launch if you have multiple monitors.

Sigh...

I have 2 monitors and the game launched, I'm on Windows 7 though.

Just clarifying.

Coen

Are the communities more akin to something found in Mario Kart 7, or do I need to manually add people to my friendslist to populate my game? Because I don't have many friends with a Vita and setting up a neogaf community like the one in Mario Kart 7 sounds like it'd be perfect for a game like this.

DonMigs85

Ya know, I think I found Burnout Paradise more visually pleasing despite its lower polycount and simpler textures. Sometimes all the deferred lighting in the world can't make up for a silky framerate and cleaner edges.

KePoW

Banned

Sigh...

I have dual monitor and the game runs fine for me. I'm glad you found a solution for yourself though, nothing worse than buying a PC game you can't even play.

Ketch

Damnit, I need to stop reading this thread or I'm gonna go "waste" money I don't have... only 6 months until the games stop coming out again, can I make it while still affording to eat lunch?

Woo-Fu

Banned

Sigh...

I have multiple monitors, game launches fine. It is the first game that is really making me feel like I need to upgrade my 4800 series videocard, though.

Really? I played for an hour and got in 5 or so chases and never got caught. Just slow down or stop when you get a cooldown, it's easy.

I'm talking about some of the event chases, not just running around in the environment. The one I was doing - Double Parked, I believe - was utter horseshit. The AI feels really skeevy in this game. Watch the cop AI on the minimap in pursuits, so much rubberbanding and quick directional changes.

That being said, enjoying the game so far.

peetfeet

Any screens of Autolog via the NFS website?

I just get a message saying that i havent got a copy of the game yet... would be interesting to see what info it displays.

AwShucks

I wish I read these impressions before buying into the pre-launch hype. If any game journalist described this as Burnout Paradise 2, they should be fired and banned from writing about racing games. The more I play it the more I get frustrated with it :|

AND WHY IS THIS WORLD FULL OF SO MUCH BLOOM EVERYWHERE

Thus is disheartening. Guess I'll go play Burnout Paradise some more.

JJD

Man, this is stupid...

AC3 is already up on the US PSN store but Most Want isn't.

Couldn't you press the button two times Grace??? :-(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Im loving the game right now its awesome. Feels much like BP but the driving has more weight to it. Going to need to add some you buddies to really get into all the records and autolog stuff though.

If autolog is so important, there should be a way to join a group like in forza, or just see data from the top 10 near your time. Something other than relying on your friends list which may be sparse or full of people that don't play racing games

Oersted

Added a bunch of people to my Origin friends list. Mine is tehspookeh.

My quick initial thoughts so far (PC)

There is not enough content: So far it's been unlock car see another 5 races, all the races feel the same with only variety in the locations that you drive. Compared to Forza with it's closed circuit races, street races, various PR events, off road racing and on road racing. It feels like there is more content in the latter. The way the cars have different characteristics really emphasizes this. While I'm speaking of Forza while it shares it's love for comparing you to your friends it doesn't feel like the core of the game. It feels like something that complements the core package while in here it feels like if you don't have a populated friends list you're missing out on other race modes and things to do.

It doesn't have the different types of cars present in Paradise. Which means cars so far feel familiar the only difference being which is more squirely in the corners. Speaking of cars- what is with you having to unlock nitro in EVERY FUCKING CAR.

Performance on the PC so far is OK but spotty with some significant FPS drops.

Again I should point out this is only a hour of play and I've only done one most wanted race. But so far it hasn't gripped me like Forza did last week. I put that disc in and didn't move for 4 hours. I've happily just put NFS down after a hour feeling ok with waiting till other people pick it up to populate my autolog.

Edit: Sorry to be a downer guys but Forza really spoiled me last week. Had I not been playing it over the weekend I can't help but compare the two. Especially since they are released within a week of each other.

Exactly my thoughts. And it is not wrong to be spoiled by the better game ;)

Oersted

Don't do that. They're too different.

It is not that difficult to see that Forza Horizon got more content, better track design etc. than Need for Speed Most Wanted. And no, I´m not saying this NfS entry is totally bad. With, don´t know, 3 more months development, it could have ended up in the Forza Horizon league.

It is not that difficult to see that Forza Horizon got more content, better track design etc. than Need for Speed Most Wanted. And no, I´m not saying this NfS entry is totally bad. With, don´t know, 3 more months development, it could have ended up in the Forza Horizon league.
They are completely different in design. Forza's track design is more like that of a racing game. NFS is a playground. There is a lot of content, but MOST of the fun and content is for online with your friends. I don't think yopu can just say Horizon has more content.

One thing that Really stands out as better imo are the graphics in Horizon. I wish NFS had clean graphics like that. But then again, there is more going on in NFS.

Very different games. You're just shouting "better" because at this point you PREFER horizon.

For what it's worth, i certainly share some of the worries about NFS:MW

Saying one game is better than another is fanboyish now?

LOL

depends at what point in time you say it and in what context.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
-bakalhau- said:
And yes I noticed the wet reflections! The iPad3 houses the same GPU as the Vita, but Vita is a dedicated gaming machine with like 4x less the pixels to push, yet it doesn't have *some* graphical features that
Yea wet reflections were in most PS2 NFS games - clearly Vita is around PS1 levels based on this.

Oersted

They are completely different in design. Forza's track design is more like that of a racing game. NFS is a playground. There is a lot of content, but MOST of the fun and content is for online with your friends. I don't think yopu can just say Horizon has more content.

One thing that Really stands out as better imo are the graphics in Horizon. I wish NFS had clean graphics like that. But then again, there is more going on in NFS.

Very different games. You're just shouting "better" because at this point you PREFER horizon.

For what it's worth, i certainly share some of the worries about NFS:MW

depends at what point in time you say it and in what context.

Both games are racing games. Both are open world. If one game´s track design is more designed like a racing game than it is better.

Horizon has also a huge online part, in many parts bigger, especially in the variety. NfS is pretty repitive.And no matter what yu think, Forza got a way bigger SP part.

Both games are racing games. Both are open world. If one game´s track design is more designed like a racing game than it is better.

Horizon has also a huge online part, in many parts bigger, especially in the variety. NfS is pretty repitive.And no matter what yu think, Forza got a way bigger SP part.

You don't read do you? Just buy the game you like best. And that's Forza Horizon.
It's a great game i think. Seems like an awesome racing game. And it looks fantastic.

NFS is not just a racing game though. Did you play Burnout Paradise online with friends?

Top Bottom