• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

Gerstmann said the Xbox One version looked kind grimy compared to the PS4 version on the podcast I think.
That's what he told me which is why I picked up the PS4 version but everything else I've read says they're practically identical.

Decider for me is online player base/friends and it's so much tougher this gen! I actually have a real friends list on PS4 that I never had on PS3 and I don't know how many of my 360 friends are upgrading yet. This used to be easy!

Commodore

That's what he told me which is why I picked up the PS4 version but everything else I've read says they're practically identical.

Decider for me is online player base/friends and it's so much tougher this gen! I actually have a real friends list on PS4 that I never had on PS3 and I don't know how many of my 360 friends are upgrading yet. This used to be easy!

Definitely a sea change going on. Parity in many ways between the new consoles is gonna amp up competition and we're all going to enjoy things more. Decisions being hard are likely one of best things with this Gen.

Anyhow got my PS4 copy yesterday, took it for a spin, reading up on a few tips now. Sounds like going cops at first and racers later might might provide a better route into the beginning of the game. Cops were busting me like crazy. The thrill of barely squeaking to a garage to bank SP is gonna be some good times.

PSN: Inventive, if anyone wants to add me

Digital Foundry's analysis said the PS4 version had some small advantages.

The whole AI cop force targets you instead of other racers in a race. Mixed with racers using pursuit tech against you, stray civilian cars and helicopters dropping spike strips. Getting 500k in one run is going to take a while. You're doing good on a open long road with heat level 10 and over 250k points, no cops, but you're eventually led to winding roads that spawn a whole fleet of cops and helicopters. Stay south and you're golden, but move north and you're dead.

How are people feeling about the inability to pause?

Annoyed. Crtierion has a history of creating games with rigid rules in place because their design doc said so. Burnout Paradise launched with the inability to quick retry an event, because they didn't want a single load screen.

Now they decided this entire game had to be built around this online concept, so you can't even pause your game, even if you have the entire game set to offline mode. This is no good reason for that.

Frustrating that they're pushing the online thing so damn hard. It would be nice if there were some kind of offline mode were pause was viable.

That said, I'm having a good deal of fun just driving around and completing various objectives. While the game doesn't look amazing graphically, there are some nice environments to drive through.

I can barely play this game =/

The pursuit tech does fucking nothing to get cops off of me, and they have so much HP I can't do jack shit to them. They also seem to be able to go arbitrarily fast, to the point where you don't outrun cops so much as you hope their AI fucks up so you can get away.

Chucker

To everyone complaing about the pursuits and giving the game negative feedback because of it, I find that the more you play and get better at the game the more enjoyable and easier some of these pursuits become. Also learn to use your GPS while driving and always be on the lookout for repair shops and then hit your hide out ASAP if you want to get out of the pursuit.

Get creative, I have a slightly modified 458 and sure I get hammered on occasion but my last session (about a hour) was very enjoyable and I had no problem with any pursuits.

Give the game some time and don't get frustrated because you get busted a lot early on. I'm really really enjoying this game and I haven't even begun my cop career yet.

My 458 (almost all 5's on upgrades) is a damn War Machine. I love it to death. I'm upgrading my McLaren, but I keep finding myself going to the 458.

A necessary restriction in online modes, inexcusable in offline/single player.

One nitpick: I wish the easy drive controls stayed consistent. When I'm trying to evade the cops I know that its right + right + right on the dpad to set a course to the nearest hideout and right + down + right to get the nearest repair shop. But if you do any events right + right + right puts you in a load screen before resetting you at the start of that event. The lack of consistency slows me down and leads to mistakes.

When on the road as a cop nothing should be easier than finding the next pursuit to join, and when racing there should always be a quick and consistent way to map out the nearest hideout.

Inconsistent UIs bug me.

sangreal

I can barely play this game =/

The pursuit tech does fucking nothing to get cops off of me, and they have so much HP I can't do jack shit to them. They also seem to be able to go arbitrarily fast, to the point where you don't outrun cops so much as you hope their AI fucks up so you can get away.

try playing the cop campaign first to get good at the game without the stress

I have no problems with AI police whatsoever, but I did 30 ranks of cop before starting racer

My amazon preorder (lol f u amazon) FINALLY came today. I only got to play a hour but its been really fun. I think I'm going to stick to playing as the popo and hunt down people.

Is that Overwatch app out yet? It was supposed to be out on the 19th.

It is, look for "Need For Speed Network" on the app store. Functionality is a little odd though. If you are actively playing NFS on your console, you can use it as a second screen or play overwatch with the people in your game, including giving yourself boosts. It seems to connect once if you have it open on your tablet and exit the garage, but I couldn't get it to reconnect when I had to reboot it once to fix a bug. But if you aren't playing, it defaults to your origin friends list for overwatch targets, not your normal ingame PSN friends. You will have to double invite friends.

I jumped into a game with Gaz_RB earlier to try it out...not sure I'd call it fun, though it was useful, and necessary to unlock some stuff. Felt like a total stalker tracking Gaz and sending buffs (and one accidental debuff, sorry!), but hopefully it seemed useful.

Edit: Maybe it does use your psn friends as well as origin? Just had it update with one of my Psn friends, but it took a day to register.

neshcom

Banned
Been playing for about an hour or two and I can only describe my experience as bittersweet disgust. Racing, at its core, works and plays well, but all the bullshit in-between just sours the whole experience. The mandatory AllDrive video every time you leave the garage, the idiotic doubled tutorials, the cluttered HUD, to the worst offender: the SP banking system. This game is fundamentally setup for you to lose anything you win. Banking wouldn't be a bad experience if I could skip the (not a loading screen) AllDrive video, so I want to stay on the road as long as possible, but that has to be its own post-race-race to a gas station, but you're fucked either way if you're at critical damage. This is to say nothing of the worthless endeavor of integrating Origin for online play and he constant pitches the game makes about AllDrive, SpeedWalls, SpeedLists, Overwatcher, companion apps, websites, social integration, and anything I missed. I just want to do these races in the open world and not have to stop every 15 minutes to keep what I earned. You'd think I was playing a F2P game with all the mandatory waiting you have to do.
There's a really beautiful arcade racer under here, but I don't want to find it.

A necessary restriction in online modes, inexcusable in offline/single player.

One nitpick: I wish the easy drive controls stayed consistent. When I'm trying to evade the cops I know that its right + right + right on the dpad to set a course to the nearest hideout and right + down + right to get the nearest repair shop. But if you do any events right + right + right puts you in a load screen before resetting you at the start of that event. The lack of consistency slows me down and leads to mistakes.

When on the road as a cop nothing should be easier than finding the next pursuit to join, and when racing there should always be a quick and consistent way to map out the nearest hideout.

Inconsistent UIs bug me.

Totally agreed with the easydrive controls. My biggest gripe is that the list isn't doubly linked at the top and bottom, i.e. I cant press up once to jump to the bottom. I've been playing as a cop, and my most frequently used easydrive options are the last two, routing to command posts or player racers to bust. It's so many inconsistent presses that I usually end up pulling over or poking along while I use easydrive, which seems completely opposite the idea of having a menu that is supposed to be easy to hit while driving as opposed to bringing up the full blown map.

Enjoying the game so far, but I dearly miss the insane event intros from Most Wanted. Really helped to spice things up. If recent years I've found that "presentation" is a big factor in racing games for me (unfortunately meaning Gran Turismo makes me want to jettison myself into deep space).

Been playing for about an hour or two and I can only describe my experience as bittersweet disgust. Racing, at its core, works and plays well, but all the bullshit in-between just sours the whole experience. The mandatory AllDrive video every time you leave the garage, the idiotic doubled tutorials, the cluttered HUD, to the worst offender: the SP banking system. This game is fundamentally setup for you to lose anything you win. Banking wouldn't be a bad experience if I could skip the (not a loading screen) AllDrive video, so I want to stay on the road as long as possible, but that has to be its own post-race-race to a gas station, but you're fucked either way if you're at critical damage. This is to say nothing of the worthless endeavor of integrating Origin for online play and he constant pitches the game makes about AllDrive, SpeedWalls, SpeedLists, Overwatcher, companion apps, websites, social integration, and anything I missed. I just want to do these races in the open world and not have to stop every 15 minutes to keep what I earned. You'd think I was playing a F2P game with all the mandatory waiting you have to do.
There's a really beautiful arcade racer under here, but I don't want to find it.
If you get a mandatory alldrive video more than once I don't know what's wrong with your play session. That's not normal.

If you want to keep driving in an open world, be a cop.

Is there a way to play with friends and then both join a public game together? Me and my friend got it to work once but we haven't been able to do it again.

jaypah

It is, look for "Need For Speed Network" on the app store. Functionality is a little odd though. If you are actively playing NFS on your console, you can use it as a second screen or play overwatch with the people in your game, including giving yourself boosts. It seems to connect once if you have it open on your tablet and exit the garage, but I couldn't get it to reconnect when I had to reboot it once to fix a bug. But if you aren't playing, it defaults to your origin friends list for overwatch targets, not your normal ingame PSN friends. You will have to double invite friends.

I jumped into a game with Gaz_RB earlier to try it out...not sure I'd call it fun, though it was useful, and necessary to unlock some stuff. Felt like a total stalker tracking Gaz and sending buffs (and one accidental debuff, sorry!), but hopefully it seemed useful.

That was a nice breakdown. Thanks for taking the time dude/tte

dantehemi

My 458 (almost all 5's on upgrades) is a damn War Machine. I love it to death. I'm upgrading my McLaren, but I keep finding myself going to the 458.

I made the jump to the 599 (love Ferraris) and I'm not sure I like it too much, gonna level up to get the F12 and I think I might fully mod that.

I decided to play a quick game of Rivals while taking a break from packing for a move. Well, an hour and a half later, I had to rip myself from the controller.

This game is so much fun.

I feel badly busting players who are clearly struggling. That said, it is a lot of fun to stalk them as an undercover cop without initiating a chase!

After realizing that the hideouts are just like one building or such, the game has become much easier, and Im starting to bank tons. Trying to fully upgrade each car before moving on.

bigmf

So I did the Futureshop trade in anyhing for all three titles (cod, ac & bf), and spent the 10 bucks to upgrade them all. I also needed Killzone. With three shooters and no racers, I had a problem. So I traded in CoD and Beyond (lets not kid anyone I was never going to go back platinum it). I got this and damn it, after finishing the tutorials and installing the update, I know I made the right decision. It's strange, I don't like sim racers or kart racers, but I always liked ride racer and Burnout. This is my first NFS title, and I think I've been missing out.

Gaz_RB

God this game is a blast, and once you get a handle on the controls you can do really awesome stuff. I just got done with getting a million speedpoints in one run. That was scary as hell haha.

Tried out cop for a little while last night and spent all night with these two random guys. We would all just wait on the side of the road until a racer came by and then we'd all turn on our lights and chase him down. After we got him we would just find a new spot and just wait. It's not exactly good for points but for some reason it's so fun being a group of cops just doing our job. The coop that develops in this game is awesome. I didn't even finish the 1st cop speedlist I was having so much fun.

Edit: Maybe it does use your psn friends as well as origin? Just had it update with one of my Psn friends, but it took a day to register.

I was so confused for awhile but those buffs definitely came in handy! Thanks man. I have this one guy on my friendslist who just constantly steals my nitrous and puts up roadblocks and summons helicopters on me, it's hilarious and kind of exciting. Overwatch seems like a cool little one off thing. Does it work on Vita? Or just tablets?

socialQ

Banned
This is the op for the game? There's another one.

Anyhow, great game... Is there a way to bring up the full map during the game so you can tell where the real people are? The mini map isn't going it for me

I'm playing racers and not having too much problems

PSNid snarkkaybob

Ps4 version

I was so confused for awhile but those buffs definitely came in handy! Thanks man. I have this one guy on my friendslist who just constantly steals my nitrous and puts up roadblocks and summons helicopters on me, it's hilarious and kind of exciting. Overwatch seems like a cool little one off thing. Does it work on Vita? Or just tablets?

Not sure if there is a vita version, I don't have a vita, so I didn't check. I think you can use Overwatch from a PC browser (linked off the nsfnetwork.com page maybe?) if you don't have a tablet though.

Is there a way to bring up the full map during the game so you can tell where the real people are?

Press Options, it's one of the tabs. You can set routes and the like there, same as in the garage.

Fusebox

Banned
God this game is a blast, and once you get a handle on the controls you can do really awesome stuff. I just got done with getting a million speedpoints in one run. That was scary as hell haha.

Tried out cop for a little while last night and spent all night with these two random guys. We would all just wait on the side of the road until a racer came by and then we'd all turn on our lights and chase him down. After we got him we would just find a new spot and just wait. It's not exactly good for points but for some reason it's so fun being a group of cops just doing our job. The coop that develops in this game is awesome. I didn't even finish the 1st cop speedlist I was having so much fun.

Yessss, love doing cop co-op. Nothing better than rolling with another real life cop when a racer blows past, I always think to myself 'Not on my highway, pal!' as I throw on the siren and peel after them, so intense.

Love the game and played a ton only as racer, up to level 20 but this game needs a patch, crashed three times on me, constantly disconnects you and is a bit buggy at times, got stuck in rocks a couple of times and really bad lag another, had to quit games, besides that its a very good game. I havent played a NFS in quit some time, the last one was underground, I also loved Burnout paradise.

I give the game a solid 8.

crozier

I want to like this game, I really do, but losing 70k points because you couldn't enter your fucking safehouse fast enough is NOT fun. Neither is punching it into your GPS every time you accumulate any pitiful amount of points for fear of losing them. It's like having a "quicksave" option that takes like 2-3 minutes to utilize. Not fun. At all.

I'm extremely tempted to cash in on Origin's return policy for once.

I want to like this game, I really do, but losing 70k points because you couldn't enter your fucking safehouse fast enough is NOT fun. Neither is punching it into your GPS every time you accumulate any pitiful amount of points for fear of losing them. It's like having a "quicksave" option that takes like 2-3 minutes to utilize. Not fun. At all.

Yeah. The most annoying part about this game is that you're encouraged to stop playing.

Rather than just drive around at your leisure racking up points, you're constantly faced with the decision of whether or not you should end your play session to store your points.

Top Bottom