• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

FatBaby

Really frustrating when in race and get disconnected, how do you play this offline?

There is an option for it when you are in the garage I think. I am at work right now so I can't tell you where it is, but I think if you keep on hitting R2 to change menus, you eventually get to a screen where you can set online options or something.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I'm playing on PS4 and it runs like a champ for me.

I think this might be a thing where some people can't see it, but there is a bug in this game where it display frames out of order, and it causes a stuttering effect quite regularly. A patch is coming soon that will fix it.

Digital Foundry did an analysis of the game and explained this.

molnizzle

It's under the AllDrive settings.

Pro tip: start your game in offline/friends only mode, then switch it to public once you're driving around. Congratulations, you can now play multiplayer while always being the host.

Also, does this game use the "power of they cloud" to spin up dedis on Xbox One? If so...

I think this might be a thing where some people can't see it, but there is a bug in this game where it display frames out of order, and it causes a stuttering effect quite regularly. A patch is coming soon that will fix it.

Weird. I guess I should be thankful that I don't notice it. It's crazy how something like this can be imperceptible to some people and game ruining to others. I have great vision and I notice frame rate issues in games when they exist, but haven't noticed this particular issue at all. I'm glad for your sake and others that it's gonna be fixed.

I've compelted that opening speed list 2 times now but have had to quit each time shortly after. Each time I boot up the game, it does that unskippable BS that takes 5 minutes before I can play. I'm pretty much fed up.

How do I get this piece of crap to save my progress?

I'm kinda happy they do that 24 hour refund policy because this is stupid.

I've compelted that opening speed list 2 times now but have had to quit each time shortly after. Each time I boot up the game, it does that unskippable BS that takes 5 minutes before I can play. I'm pretty much fed up.

How do I get this piece of crap to save my progress?

I'm kinda happy they do that 24 hour refund policy because this is stupid.
The game only saves when you enter your command center or safehouse (which makes sense, especially considering the way the racer career works). If you've been quitting out before doing that, that's the problem.

If entering one of those locations initiates a cut scene, after it plays out just leave the garage and enter right back in. That'll force a save that's post cut scene.

Weird. I guess I should be thankful that I don't notice it. It's crazy how something like this can be imperceptible to some people and game ruining to others. I have great vision and I notice frame rate issues in games when they exist, but haven't noticed this particular issue at all. I'm glad for your sake and others that it's gonna be fixed.

Yeah, it's weird. I wouldn't say it's ruining the game, but I'm definitely finding it distracting, and because I know a fix is coming I feel like waiting for it. But at the same time I really want to play more of the game!

The game only saves when you enter your command center or safehouse (which makes sense, especially considering the way the racer career works). If you've been quitting out before doing that, that's the problem.

If entering one of those locations initiates a cut scene, after it plays out just leave the garage and enter right back in. That'll force a save that's post cut scene.

That's annoying. I figured all I had to do was finish the first 4 objectives. When I have more time I'll do it all again and try and get to a safe house.

Thanks!

anddo0

Losing money sucks. I completed 4 straight events to reach lvl 16.. I had the cops all over me (heat lvl 7).. As I'm dodging the cops, some random wants to do a head to head. I ignore him, which makes him upset. He then decides to join the cops in chasing me, unleashing all his pursuit tech.. Needless to say, I didn't make it back to the hideout, losing 185 SP in the process. I think I've lost more than I've banked in this game. It's like the game knows I'm carrying over 50K and wants to screw me over. :(

Losing money sucks. I completed 4 straight events to reach lvl 16.. I had the cops all over me (heat lvl 7).. As I'm dodging the cops, some random wants to do a head to head. I ignore him, which makes him upset. He then decides to join the cops in chasing me, unleashing all his pursuit tech.. Needless to say, I didn't make it back to the hideout, losing 185 SP in the process. I think I've lost more than I've banked in this game. It's like the game knows I'm carrying over 50K and wants to screw me over. :(

Wow that really stinks. That's why I only do private lobby for now. However if you have 50k+ you most likley have a high heat level which attracts the crazy cops. Try banking points as soon as you can. I'm level 15 and have only been busted twice. One was 39k and the other was 40k. I'm having a blast though.

... As I'm dodging the cops, some random wants to do a head to head. I ignore him, which makes him upset. He then decides to join the cops in chasing me, unleashing all his pursuit tech.. Needless to say, I didn't make it back to the hideout, losing 185 SP in the process.
Its also possible that racer had a speedlist objective to take another racer down. You can't be too sure what motivates the different players on a server, and unless they're your buddy, you have to be ready for anything.

Cop is a safer career path if you don't want to get hunted down so often, and it also has its share of super cars and point-to-point races.

I should hide here with a green car. They'll never see me.

10987310603_f452894ea2_o.jpg

dantehemi

To everyone complaing about the pursuits and giving the game negative feedback because of it, I find that the more you play and get better at the game the more enjoyable and easier some of these pursuits become. Also learn to use your GPS while driving and always be on the lookout for repair shops and then hit your hide out ASAP if you want to get out of the pursuit.

Get creative, I have a slightly modified 458 and sure I get hammered on occasion but my last session (about a hour) was very enjoyable and I had no problem with any pursuits.

Give the game some time and don't get frustrated because you get busted a lot early on. I'm really really enjoying this game and I haven't even begun my cop career yet.

dantehemi

any tips on tiers for cars? what things should I look to upgrade if anything or save money for better cars later on?

I haven't put a whole lot of time with the game yet, but it seems like you will be able to blast through the car tiers very quickly and being able to afford the best car won't be too much of an issue.

I am just playing with the car I like best right now (Ferrari 458) and putting sp points into mods and pursuit tech.

My advice would be to play with the car you like and if you want to move to the best car in the game don't mod or put any money Into lower level cars because you can really fly up the racer rank and be able to buy upper tier cars very quickly.

Eusis

Anyone else unable to log into EA servers right now? Hate how they and other publishers, even some smaller ones, insist on their own server crap to be a middle man and mess with things that would've worked smoothly otherwise.

Finally got my copy today from the B2G1 free deal last week. I spent my first batch of points on the handling, acceleration, and speed. Didn't buy a single "weapon" upgrade." Huge mistake. I've yet to take any points back to the garage before being busted. It's so discouraging to see a bunch of cops on your ass and knowing that no matter how hard you try, you're fucked. WHY DIDN'T I BUY THE EMP???

Finally got my copy today from the B2G1 free deal last week. I spent my first batch of points on the handling, acceleration, and speed. Didn't buy a single "weapon" upgrade." Huge mistake. I've yet to take any points back to the garage before being busted. It's so discouraging to see a bunch of cops on your ass and knowing that no matter how hard you try, you're fucked. WHY DIDN'T I BUY THE EMP???
You don't necessarily need items to make an escape. Quick last minute turns, braking and then doing a 180, going off-road, jumps, pure speed boosting on the straightaways, it all works, and it's all necessary.

Human players will be more aggressive with their weapons but they are just as easy if not easier to fool through trick driving.

sangreal

Any advice on PS4 version vs Xbox One? I picked it up on PS4 but am still considering getting the Xbox One version instead.

they're (pretty much) identical

the game has a heavy focus on online though, so if you play with friends online with one console more than the other, I'd go with that one

DarkJC

I'm having way more fun with this game than I thought I would (PS4). The risk / reward aspect with the racers is really fun, and also really frustrating when I get busted with 180k SP on me.

Not sure if it'll keep me enthralled enough to complete every speedlist for both cops and racers but definitely money well spent. I haven't played a Need for Speed game since Criterion (now Ghost?) took over and this is really scratching the itch.

the game has a heavy focus on online though, so if you play with friends online with one console more than the other, I'd go with that one
Well it's interesting. I have no idea how many friends I will have on Xbox One yet - and I think that player base is more likely to be split with Forza while NFS is the only driving game option on PS4 right now.

Eusis

Yeah, they seem closer than most multiplats so go where your friends are. Else default to PS4 I guess, wait a day or two and see the XBOX pickup in here.

Finished the racer campaign. The last mission was such a challenge.

The far north portion of the map is so chaotic with helicopters and other racers, and their cops and your cops, and spike strips, etc. Never, ever, ever drive north with 8 heat or higher. Just spent 30 minutes straight with 10 heat, but I drove north and got caught in all the traffic and winding roads.

The final racer car is incredible once you've fully upgraded, but it's a little too good. Sort of removes the challenge of getting away from cops.

As a tip: don't waste money on fast cars. Buy the few with good durability and upgrade them. The Aston Martin and Ferrari F12 were the only cars I bought for the racer campaign. It made surviving until the next repair shop much easier.

Codeblew

I had cruised around for a good 10 minutes or so before seeing any cops and starting the long pursuit. The world seems big enough that you can avoid cops for a good while.

The problem is that once you are pursued and lose them, they keep repursuing so it is hard to do events. This happens more at higher heat levels.

BTW, friend MidBoss so I have people to help through the online app.

Is it happening to everybody? It seems like something I would notice.

any tips on tiers for cars? what things should I look to upgrade if anything or save money for better cars later on?

I only bought 2 cars while playing race mode through the first time. The first porche and then the last ferrari. I just spent my money maxing them. Now half way through my second playthrough and have 6 cars (although, not maxed) at about 1500000 SP.

Look at it this way. Cop side, 50k is a really really high score. Your normal cop runs are 10-40k. Maybe you should just turn in the 40-50k scores as a racer?

arrrgh another doublepost

...so are my speed points useless as a cop?

Also, it keeps telling me I unlocked new pursuit tech. But... there's never anything new in there. Just the same four things.

Seems like they really undercooked the cop side, tbh. Not sure why they're telling me there are new pursuit tech things when there aren't actually new items. Or why I can't buy upgrades or cars or anything.

Don't half-ass one half of the game if you're going to make it an option. LOVING the game, but c'mon.

Also, where's my android app? :p

I beat racer mode with the Ford Mustang. Just kept upgrading it. But I knew the tips and tricks of the game from 25~ hours as a cop already. I'm just saying it's possible to stick with any car you like and beat the game with it. You might have to adjust your goals (pick a different of the three mission trees) but it's possible.

I'm just making this up but I think it might even be easier to stick with low heat cars and upgrade them,a s low heat means you're less desirable to cops and won't see a lot of high level cops using teir 4 pursuit tech on you as much.

I beat racer mode with the Ford Mustang. Just kept upgrading it. But I knew the tips and tricks of the game from 25~ hours as a cop already. I'm just saying it's possible to stick with any car you like and beat the game with it. You might have to adjust your goals (pick a different of the three mission trees) but it's possible.

I'm just making this up but I think it might even be easier to stick with low heat cars and upgrade them,a s low heat means you're less desirable to cops and won't see a lot of high level cops using teir 4 pursuit tech on you as much.

Can you explain any of the above for me? Am I missing something somewhere..?

...so are my speed points useless as a cop?

Also, it keeps telling me I unlocked new pursuit tech. But... there's never anything new in there. Just the same four things.

Seems like they really undercooked the cop side, tbh. Not sure why they're telling me there are new pursuit tech things when there aren't actually new items. Or why I can't buy upgrades or cars or anything.

Don't half-ass one half of the game if you're going to make it an option. LOVING the game, but c'mon.

Also, where's my android app? :p
I love the cop side. It's probably "gimped" to try to balance it? I didn't know how hard being a racer was trying to get away from cops until I tried it.

Each time you beat a mission list, you unlock the next set of missions, a new car, and ON THAT NEW CAR, there's possibly new pursuit tech. That's what the announcement is for. And by 'new pursuit tech' they can mean either something you haven't seen before, or a higher level of something you've seen before. And yeah, speedpoints aren't needed as much. It's only needed for pursuit techs on a cop. But cops can't make as much as racers as quickly, so it's hard enough buying pursuit techs for each new car unlock. And you have to use better cars as a cop, as that's the only way to get better stats. But using better cars will set opponent cars as better, too making it Harder. Whereas in a racer car you can stick with low heat cars and as such have low level cops spawn around you.

Cops and racers can have lvl 1 - 4 of pursuit tech. Cops can have EMP, ESF, 'Front Slam', Roadblocks, Helicopters, and Spike Strips. Racers can has EMP, ESF, Shockwave, Turbo, Jammers, and Stun Mines. I remember later cop cars unlocking helicopters, and later racers unlocking Jammers?

Huh. I never have had any issues yet staying with the default car. every one I've unlocked since has worse strength and durability.

Huh. I never have had any issues yet staying with the default car. every one I've unlocked since has worse strength and durability.
What tree are you completing? For racers, all three trees unlock the same car. For cops, each tree unlocks one of three different types of cars. (Blank) Normal cop cars have high speed, low durability, (UC) Undercover cars are kinda in the middle, and lights/ sirens are inside the car, and (ENF) ENforcers have low speed and high strength/durability. The higher teir cars are useful for completing MED/HRD difficulty events, as well as the higher level pursuit techs can become very very very useful. Roadblock is the easiest example. Lvl 1, 2, and even 3 are pretty shitty, but lvl 4 road block is amazing. It's a difficult pattern to dodge, and the respawn timer is so quick you can set two right next to each other. Helicopter 1 and 4 are a huge difference too (but I hate helicopter because I keep blinding myself with it and crashing). The otehr cop techs are varying levels of 'useable' at any level.

How I cheated end game missions (13+ missions)
Cop-
missions that need to catch someone, use lvl 4 roadblock and lvl 4 (anything, I suggest EMP). Spam roadblock as much as you can as soon as you can, even before you start moving when the event starts. On hot pursuit, two roadblocks right at the start catches 4 of the 5 racers. Use EMP to catch the last person, as they like to turbo away, EMP is my preferred method of catching up. quick response, just use a good car and race well. But I would avoid quick response when I can as my roadblock method made the other event types so easy.

Racer-
okay cop didn't really need help but here's a really cheap way I won as almost all racer missions. pick the "gold any x missions/interceptor" instead of "gold a race" or "gold hot pursuit". I used a lvl 1 mustang with Jammer and turbo. This helps keep the cop car low level too. any heat 1 car will probably work. start at the giant bridge in the middle of the map that has roadblocks keeping normal traffic out. there's a hard interceptor mission in the middle of that bridge. start it, and a cop car jumps down at you from behind. move forward, drop once, and the construction narrows before a jump to the dirt ground. use the e-brake and 180 turn around right beofre the jump. The cop will speed past you and jump. activate jammer now/right before this and turbo away. this prevents him using a helicopter to chase you. you should be able to drive straight and escape and gold the mission in 30 seconds. This area also has space for most other objectives, like 200yard~ jump, or get X speed, or get x drift yards while at y speed

my biggest advice I can give to anyone new to this is that X is for nitro. I never learned that as a cop, so I'm at lvl 10+ pulling my hair out because there timed missions are so hard to catch up to anything. then I found out cops had nitrous too and it was like goku stepping out of the gravity chamber.

Edit- vvvvvvvv---- ah, my cop career was all UC, all 20 missions. I loved the look. Just note when a mission doesn't NEED any pursuit related goals, you can just not buy tech for that new car and save those points for the next car you unlock.

Are there alternative game modes where you simply pick up a car, a track, and race against the CPU?
No, bu you can technically, from your garage, change the game to private, and then chose to spawn directly at a race/track start point. Then start the event as soon as yo load in. Technically that'd be what you're asking for? But you unlock more races as you progress throug missions, so at the start there's only 2 races you could do.

No, bu you can technically, from your garage, change the game to private, and then chose to spawn directly at a race/track start point. Then start the event as soon as yo load in. Technically that'd be what you're asking for? But you unlock more races as you progress throug missions, so at the start there's only 2 races you could do.

Staying offline and picking the races from the garage SORT OF is like that. At least you spawn at the start line then activate the event.

I can do the events and all to unlock things, but it's good to know that I can just race if I want to :)

J-P

Neo Member

I see it all the damn time and it definitely bothers me. Seems like i notice it less in the bumper cam view, which i prefer but sometimes can't use if i'm trying to see how close the cars behind me are.

It took me twenty minutes to lose the cops once at heat level 4 and 5 is it, and that pesky helicopter (though it looks nice on ps4 in the dark and rain going on), but still I just wanted to do a simple race.

Most annoying thing is still trying to make it back to a hideout after doing lots of stuff and then being caught and losing all the SP.

Chorazin

Played this again last night after knowing what to expect and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. Just knowing that after a race I need to high tail it back to a hideout made it way better.

This also plays AMAZINGLY using remote play on the Vita, it looks great and is just as responsive as using the DS4. The controls also automatically change to a Vita configuation when connected, and show that in the control options!

molnizzle

Anyone get this on Xbone? Does it use Azure to host multiplayer games, or is it p2p like on PS4?

This also plays AMAZINGLY using remote play on the Vita, it looks great and is just as responsive as using the DS4. The controls also automatically change to a Vita configuation when connected, and show that in the control options!

Lucky you. I can't keep a solid connection to my PS4. Always stutters. :-/

Top Bottom