• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

Smokey

why? just play through the cop campaign first and you'll be fine. or play offline if you insist on doing racer first

wait..what's wrong with racer mode? This is what i've been primarily doing and online as well...

edit: dat feel of losing 250k SP while stuck on a barricade in front of a hideout getting demolished by multiple cop cars

crozier

I heard this game is fairly similar to Hot Pursuit. Which one would you say is better?
Hot Pursuit is a much better game.

If they patch out the point-loss deal (or make it so you only lose a percentage of them) it will be better for it....probably better than Hot Pursuit in that case.

OmahaG8

Just ended my internal strife and decided to not return the game and instead open it.

Played it for about an hour. Not sure what I did other than chase other PSN people.

It was a lot of fun. Maybe more fun than Knack and KZ.

Zalman

If they patch out the point-loss deal (or make it so you only lose a percentage of them) it will be better for it....probably better than Hot Pursuit in that case.
Oh, that sucks, I was thinking about getting it but I might pass this time. Hopefully the next game is better then.

wait..what's wrong with racer mode? This is what i've been primarily doing and online as well...

edit: dat feel of losing 250k SP while stuck on a barricade in front of a hideout getting demolished by multiple cop cars

Nothing is wrong with it, people are just getting really angry that you lose all your SP if you happened to get busted or wrecked as a racer. I did the whole racer career in online games too without any issues. Losing 400,000 sucked... but it's a blast seeing if I can get away with it or not.

Absinthe

Been playing this for a few hours now and the cops are really starting to get annoying.

I'm just trying to drive around and explore the world/find a few races when out of nowhere a cop appears in front of me and it just become a big clusterfuck.

Also, as I'm browsing the web, I pulled my car over for a while and then this happened:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1390757567835982&set=vb.100007052564392&type=2&theater

Mind you I had just spawned, had not seen any cops yet and my car was sitting idle on the side of the road about a block from the garage.

CF22

Cops have gotten really bad on level 15 on. I have like 5 cops chasing and crashing into me and it's becoming annoying, the game had been really fun until this point. Also hate the fact I can't pause the game, cops are on to me even parked on the side of the road.

Gaz_RB

I heard this game is fairly similar to Hot Pursuit. Which one would you say is better?

Nah dude this game is way better. Best racing game I've played since 2005 Most Wanted.

The losing points aspect is part of what makes the game so damn compelling. I've got almost every launch game but this is the one I keep putting in.

Just ended my internal strife and decided to not return the game and instead open it.

Played it for about an hour. Not sure what I did other than chase other PSN people.

It was a lot of fun. Maybe more fun than Knack and KZ.

It's really fun! Add me if you want: Gaz_RB

Cops have gotten really bad on level 15 on. I have like 5 cops chasing and crashing into me and it's becoming annoying, the game had been really fun until this point. Also hate the fact I can't pause the game, cops are on to me even parked on the side of the road.

Yeah if you need to step away it's best to just go to the hideout. It's a neccessary evil for how the game works, although there should be a pause option in offline.

As for the cops, make sure you're upgrading your car/utilizing all your pursuit techs. A shockwave, a few quick turns and a turbo and you're usually home free. Just keep moving. When you slow down its game over.

Deploying some Nitro for Gaz_RB via overwatch app now :) (NullPointer on PSN)

Thanks for the help, homie!

Found out today you can have more than one person in over watch(I had 3). I had one guy throwing roadblocks and stealing my ammo and damaging me, and the other two were helping me. I was on the race that's like 25 miles long and had like two player cops chasing after me the whole way. It was probably my favorite moment of next gen so far.

More people need to pick this game up.

Been playing this for a few hours now and the cops are really starting to get annoying.

I'm just trying to drive around and explore the world/find a few races when out of nowhere a cop appears in front of me and it just become a big clusterfuck.

Have you tried playing as a cop yet? That's really the best side to play if you just want to peacefully drive around and explore the map. No stress from looking in your rearview constantly.

iFootball

One of the things I dislike about this game is the inability to just leisurely drive around like you could in Most Wanted. In this game, cops get on your ass for no good reason at all and don't let up until you're back at a hideout. Ugh.
I've seen this comment from a few folks here in GAF, and we'll, the game was not designed to be a Sunday-drive game... It is not designed to be that way and has no intent of being that.

As a racer, you're supposed to be part of a pre-identified group ("rebel" group if you want); in GTA terms, you will always have 1 star (as you progress you even start at two or more by default). You CAN drive around, but you're encouraged to do it FAST. The whole idea behind so many speed cameras and speed segments is that you're pushed to constantly try to break your friends records... the whole time.

On top of that you are always "wanted"... always. It's always a pursuit game. If you want to keeps cops away, upgrade your car's durability, buy pursuit-tech (weapons), constantly be on the look-out for Gas Stations and USE them! ... not it repairs your car, but replenishes your weapons; if used correctly you can plan/execute your escape... and yes most likely you won't always get away, but as other have mentioned, that's the rush that you get from this game.

AND.. on top of all this you add seamless online integration with real players who can join your events or chases instantly (plus some offline help or interaction via smartphone app)... IMO you've got a pretty fun game that's planned to have you going top speed most of the time.

Point loss hasn't been an issue for since I:
- Started to learn the map and know what to look for. Now I can see a repair station coming up and I can sneak in it to get myself back at full blast. I also know how to get into the hideout quicker.

- Voice commands! I played for HOURS not knowing that you can do this. "GPS Hideout" saved this game for me.

Completely disagree. Patching out the point loss would ruin the risk/reward of the game. I feel it's much better than Hot Pursuit and that was my favorite NFS until this new one.

chidrock

Just opened the game and while I'm getting used to the open world aspect of it, the fact that there are only two camera angles is disturbing. I usually use a medium follow view in racing games, and this one is making me feel claustrophobic.

I have one thing that's bugging me - how do you escape the cops? I see everyone complaining about it, but I don't see any tips on how to do it. Is it just that broken right now?

Even doing the first interceptor event as a racer has me scratching my head bc the pursuits just keep resuming.

Completely disagree. Patching out the point loss would ruin the risk/reward of the game. I feel it's much better than Hot Pursuit and that was my favorite NFS until this new one.

Yeah, I actually like the point loss system, crazily enough. It creates some truly tense, tense moments, and the whole risk/reward thing adds a ton of thrill. Sure, there's been a few times where I felt like I lost some points due to no fault of my own, but for the most part when i've lost a big bank I sort of deserved it. More than worth it in exchange for the added thrill when you're sitting on a few hundred thousand and pushing your luck.

Plus, points are pretty easy to come by overall, so I never feel *that* terrible when I lose 'em.

I also agree that pursuit tech matters a ton as a racer, especially as you move up in level. You essentially *have* to have turbo, then I always flip back and forth between jammer and the shockwave thingy

sangreal

nothing is wrong with it, it's just harder. I'm just saying that people who are worried about the stress of gambling in racer should start on cop where they can learn at their own pace

crozier

If they changed it so that you lost a percentage of them, say 50%, it would go a long way towards making it feel like you aren't wasting your time.

Also:

Do not run this game with D3DOverider. My computer kept crashing/rebooting and I couldn't figure out why.

sangreal

Anyone else having trouble finding online games to join? It searches for ages then dumps me into single-player.

You can start your own online game. Which you should do anyway because you get to be the host and not get dumped out mid-event (which wouldn't be the end of the world except the game starts running before the loading screen goes away)

Gaz_RB

Just opened the game and while I'm getting used to the open world aspect of it, the fact that there are only two camera angles is disturbing. I usually use a medium follow view in racing games, and this one is making me feel claustrophobic.

I have one thing that's bugging me - how do you escape the cops? I see everyone complaining about it, but I don't see any tips on how to do it. Is it just that broken right now?

Even doing the first interceptor event as a racer has me scratching my head bc the pursuits just keep resuming.

Here's the thing you have to keep in mind: when you're playing as a racer, you never really escape the cops in this game, and it's designed that way. For instance, in Interceptor your goal is to escape just one time in a short amount of time. Pretty much always after that you'll get pursued again, but it's not a big deal, that's just how it happens. The idea is sort of Dark Souls-esque in that you can stay out longer in a tense world where you're liable to lose everything, or you can do a quick race and run back to the hideout.

A few tips:

Never slow down. Cops destroy you when you slow down. As an aside to that, never let cops drive close to you, always find a way to get them away from you because their rams do some bad damage.

Get some pursuit techs and use them often. I roll with shockwave to keep cops away from me, and turbo to GTFO as quickly as possible.

Don't take the time to gps a hideout/repair shop if you're in a chase. Just keep driving straight and carefully and you'll run into one shortly. It's way too dangerous trying to turn around if you're damage is critical.

If you look back further in the thread you'll find some other ones throughout.

Nokterian

Bought the PS3 version since the PC version what i saw was pretty shitty port. Looks pretty decent but when seeing those tutorial clips it shows the PS4 version can't wait to buy it on there though next year when i have money for it. But goddamn those tutorials need to end it is annoying and i just want to drive. But overall i like it.

Whenever you see a dirt road, take it!

This isn't a game where you should take quick and often turns to confuse the cops, take a dirt road and hit another highway and just haul ass. Keep driving as fast as you can, there will be no cops looking for you ahead on the highway, just the one who first spotted you.

Here's the thing you have to keep in mind: when you're playing as a racer, you never really escape the cops in this game, and it's designed that way. For instance, in Interceptor your goal is to escape just one time in a short amount of time. Pretty much always after that you'll get pursued again, but it's not a big deal, that's just how it happens. The idea is sort of Dark Souls-esque in that you can stay out longer in a tense world where you're liable to lose everything, or you can do a quick race and run back to the hideout.

A few tips:

Never slow down. Cops destroy you when you slow down. As an aside to that, never let cops drive close to you, always find a way to get them away from you because their rams do some bad damage.

Get some pursuit techs and use them often. I roll with shockwave to keep cops away from me, and turbo to GTFO as quickly as possible.

Don't take the time to gps a hideout/repair shop if you're in a chase. Just keep driving straight and carefully and you'll run into one shortly. It's way too dangerous trying to turn around if you're damage is critical.

Also I'll be streaming here for a while: http://www.twitch.tv/gaz_rb

Going for 2,000,000 SP without returning to hideout.

OMG I can't tell you how many times I missed the hideout or repair station and hit the breaks to turn around and BAMMMM. Cops slam in the back of me and destroy me.

A few tips:

Great tips I hit a wall with progression w/o loosing my points this will help out a lot.

Bashing other cars does more harm then good, opposing racers and cops have Ferrari and Lamborghini tanks, they shouldve adjusted this I think and make it easier to side slam and wreck someone, at least the AI.

Top Bottom