• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0 Error Reporting & Feedback Thread

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You’re not being forced to use the like system. No-one is. I find it baffling how you’re all acting like it’s something you have to use. It’s optional. If you don’t like it, don’t use it.
Exactly right.

It is obvious that the people complaining about it have little idea about how it works. It is not a popularity contest. There is no “upvoting” or “downvoting”. It has absolutely no affect on them and they can choose to use it or ignore it.

After a long time using it, I am yet to witness anyone “spamming for likes”, it functions like any other forum. If someone is spamming for approval, they are going to do that anyway, regardless if there is a “like” button or not, as was evident on old GAF.

As I mentioned earlier, there are many benefits to the “like” system, I have been using it for years on another forum and I have yet to see a valid argument against it. Honestly feels like they are just complaining for complainings sake. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Shifty

You’re not being forced to use the like system. No-one is. I find it baffling how you’re all acting like it’s something you have to use. It’s optional. If you don’t like it, don’t use it.
While clicking the button and paying attention to the notifications may be optional, the potential change in people's behaviour (whatever form that may take, positive or negative) is not.

I mean, oxygen is optional, right? You're not being forced to breathe it, you just happen to live on a planet whose atmosphere is primarily composed of it.

Battlechili

Banned
Spoiler tags are no longer black bars that need to be highlighted, and this makes some posts look awkward because if you spoiler something mid sentence the reveal spoiler button is placed on the next line and then the outside part of that spoiler is on the line after that. To demonstrate:
This is
a spoiler
and I don't like how it looks.

Could this be fixed/reverted back to the old way? This is probably one of the things old GAF had better.

Last edited:

Blam

Spoiler tags are no longer black bars that need to be highlighted, and this makes some posts look awkward because if you spoiler something mid sentence the reveal spoiler button is placed on the next line and then the outside part of that spoiler is on the line after that. To demonstrate:
This is
a spoiler
and I don't like how it looks.

Could this be fixed/reverted back to the old way? This is probably one of the things old GAF had better.
Yeah quite a few posts are broken now because of this.

Mahadev

The like system is an interesting and welcome addition. As long as the mods pay absolutely no attention to it to decide on anything we'll be fine imo. Maybe the overall likes should be removed though because it might lead to "karma whoring" as they call it on reddit which is a pretty disruptive and annoying behavior there since there are people, believe it or not, who partly measure their self-worth on the internet points their account has.

Last edited:

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
Mahadev Mahadev
It's an understandable concern but the visible popularity of a post shouldn't and won't dictate whether a certain post is in breach of the agreed ToS or not. I mean, somebody could be abusive about another member and even if it somehow became the most popular post on here it wouldn't become right to do that.

The like isn't something that will just be there, if there are issues with it then we'll attempt to deal with it or even remove it if need be. I think it's good that people can see when they've made a worthwhile or useful contribution to the community but it shouldn't be allowed to be something that gets in the way of the community.

We'll see. :)

Manus

Yeah I'm for removing the join date and likes under the users avatar in posts. Would look much cleaner to just have the member status or tag. Move the join date and likes to the profile page.

Dark Rider

The new functionality is welcome, good work.

My issues in no particular order:
-I would like to have links to all 4 public forum sections: gaming, gaming community, off-topic and off topic community.
-The like button of course has some positives but I fear that in the long run it will only encourage cliques and groups/sub groups propping each other up. I also do think that it might effect discussion as the poster who get less/no likes might feel less encouraged to continue the discussing seeing how many liking the other person posts but not his/hers.
-Also regarding the link count I think even if the like system stayed there should be no like counter under the members avatar because it can also discourage people from disagreeing with posters that has a big like counter.
-I don't see any benefit to the joined date under the members avatar either, people can see that in the members profile anyway.
-The forum members count dropped by more than 46 thousand members, can anyone please tell us what happened?
-I would suggest looking into loosening the registration requirements for the time being then reverting back when the forum is more active.
-It would be good if the report button was removed for your own posts, especially when its right next to the edit button.
-It would be VERY appreciated and I assume VERY wildly supported if the spoilers tag worked exactly the same way it used to work on the old neogaf.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

and more to the point of the report button next to the edit button on your own posts:

6qrDQRC.jpg

Would it be possible to get the ALT+S hotkey back?

what did it do?

DiscoJer

My posts need to be approved? I've been a member here for like 6+ years and got banned once for a whopping 2 weeks.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
-I don't see any benefit to the joined date under the members avatar either, people can see that in the members profile anyway.
-The forum members count dropped by more than 46 thousand members, can anyone please tell us what happened?
Joined date and likes are removed from userblock.

There were a lot of trailing registered members never confirmed their email address that weren't migrated.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It would be good if the arrow on thread titles that takes you directly to the threads last page could be brought back.

How do I change from mobile on my phone? I can’t see the page numbers before I click on a thread. I always have to go to the first page of the thread then scroll down and go to the last page. It’s only like this for landscape mode and this thread doesn’t give you that option before entering the thread.

Last edited:

Razorback

The multi-quote system doesn't seem to do anything. I just clicked on the +quote button on several posts here and nothing was added to my post.

I'm using chrome on a windows PC.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The multi-quote system doesn't seem to do anything. I just clicked on the +quote button on several posts here and nothing was added to my post.

I'm using chrome on a windows PC.

After you use multiquote, click the "insert quotes" button below the reply text entry field to select what to include.

Rellik

I just wanted to say thanks to whoever fixed the avatar crop issue I was having at the start of this thread. Much better now.

Lucumo

I don't do it in the forums that also use this software. But you are deluding yourself if you think it won't have an effect on some of the users' posting habits.

OrionFalls

I don't do it on the forums that also use this software. But you are deluding yourself if you think it won't have an effect on some of the users' posting habits.
If a members posting habits change, that is down to the member, not the like feature. It really is just a system to let a member know that others agree with them. They don't obtain any special posting privileges,.They don't win a prize. They don't get promoted to GAF Gold. It literally does nothing except what I've always stated. If that alone is enough to make a member feel 'famous' then they need to step away from the internet.

educator

How do I change from mobile on my phone? I can’t see the page numbers before I click on a thread. I always have to go to the first page of the thread then scroll down and go to the last page. It’s only like this for landscape mode and this thread doesn’t give you that option before entering the thread.

I agree. Hoping this gets fixed, but I have yet to see any of the staff members acknowledge this. Its been brought up several times in this thread before.

You can click on the ”jump to new”-button, but its not as good an option as the arrows where.

Last edited:

fe17

Neo Member
Getting back to my prior post, I can't seem to edit my post, while others on here can. What's the reason for that?

Shifty

If a members posting habits change, that is down to the member, not the like feature.
I don't disagree with this, but it only covers the angle of individual members having to exert self-control to not change their habits.

The issue, at least from my perspective, is the fact that some members may well not have that self control. Reddit may do more with the numbers (post ordering, dislike button), but it's still a strong case for people being affected by stats.
I don't have any say in the way people conduct themselves, so my options in a worst-case scenario are "deal with it until the mods feel that it's a problem and address it" or "go elsewhere".

Of course, it's entirely possible that likes will end up being a net positive that encourages quality posts through positive reinforcement. On reflection it probably could, minus the persistent stat tracking.
However, I don't think the concern is without basis given the state of discourse on here prior to the meltdown. We're back to a decent neutral ground now, so it's worth discussing anything that may change that.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Are notifications not available in mobile view?
I posted about this earlier, but am yet to get a reply. My mobile notifications were working initially, but stopped working after the first 24 hours roughly. Haven’t had a notification since.

Wouldn’t mind knowing if this is a bug or not.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I posted about this earlier, but am yet to get a reply. My mobile notifications were working initially, but stopped working after the first 24 hours roughly. Haven’t had a notification since.

Wouldn’t mind knowing if this is a bug or not.
One the mods mentioned "we disabled this feature due to the performance hit" but they weren't quoting anyone. I wonder if it was a reference to notifications. Too bad if true... It's one of the most useful features for any forum.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
One the mods mentioned "we disabled this feature due to the performance hit" but they weren't quoting anyone. I wonder if it was a reference to notifications. Too bad if true... It's one of the most useful features for any forum.
I thought that quote was about visible online viewer statistics.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
uh notifications work fine?
They literally haven’t worked since the first day for me. Haven’t received one. I check back now though and suddenly I have 80 notifications! Someone flipped a switch lol.

Top Bottom