• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:
cjelly, when you free to play our fixtures? tried sending message over XBL, didn't get a reply.

and looks like you're doing nicely now with lyon, woodchuck :D

seeing as how he hasn't logged in to league daddy after the playoffs were created, he may not even know he's in the playoffs

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
Before people completely bail out of the thread after getting knocked out, should note that we'll be doing a Season 2 likely with a whole new format in the new year. We'll post all the details here and create a new thread when things are ready to go. Everyone who participated fully in this league is of course invited, and we will probably be limiting the numbers to 16 (e.g., MLS) or so so that we have only the dedicated owners. As cool as it was to have a 32-team league, having several people bail out on their teams and just be hard to reach was frustrating, especially for woodchuck and me. 16 dedicated owners, otoh, should be truly great.

I am in

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man down!

207ltzm.jpg

Exypher

Good games dude, I thought they were very nice. I agree you had a few good chances to score in both of our games, I think if both of us had finished our chances a little better these two matches could've ended up with monsterscores :)

See you next season!

Edit: and Mutu is a beast!

woodchuck

i do not know of a mutu in the game

ive only heard of MURGU

also, btw, you don't have to record the team stats for the playoff matches if you don't want to. but you guys must record the player stats. doesn't matter if you do record the team stats though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn Fiorentina last lost in the preseason. :lol League is on notice.

Although you Euros are kind of an a different planet what with your 10-0 losses to Portsmouth and the like.

Tf53

I played the last regular season match against cjelly. I was subbing for FFXII, I think, and I went up 2-0 before halftime. Cjelly then proceeded to score an own goal and left the game. I don't know if he knows he's in the playoffs.

Exypher

AstroLad said:
Damn Fiorentina last lost in the preseason. :lol League is on notice.

Although you Euros are kind of an a different planet what with your 10-0 losses to Portsmouth and the like.

I would like to play some of the US players actually, just to see how I'd manage against you guys.

Looking forward to my next play-off game, hope I can continue my streak.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I quit my first match against TSE88 as he took the lead cos I was getting some really fucking annoying lag the whole match.

The game looked fine, but button presses weren't registering for me till like 2 seconds later.

I'm done with the League.

woodchuck

portsmouth advances by default :lol

probably easier this way. he would have won 8-nil or something anyway. at least this way, his players can't enter the leaderboard!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
k0ji-wd said:
I used a gameshark

Just to be clear on this: YOU CAN ONLY USE A GAMESHARK FOR THE "INVISIBLE PLAYERS" AND "DISCONNECT" GLITCHES, AND ONLY WHEN YOU ARE LOSING. Also Power Gloves only for penalties.

Magicked

cjelly said:
I quit my first match against TSE88 as he took the lead cos I was getting some really fucking annoying lag the whole match.

The game looked fine, but button presses weren't registering for me till like 2 seconds later.

I'm done with the League.

He's from Australia, right? That happened to me too and I lost possession constantly.

Still, I'm not exactly brilliant at this game. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
On a less serious note, I will say that going forward if you have a playoff game where you have, e.g., invisible players, or terrible lag at the beginning (i.e., before a goal), I'd recommend pausing and messaging the person about retrying, maybe having the other person host instead. Just by nature of how spread out everyone is, and how wonky the EA servers are, lag and disconnects are a part of the game, but there's no harm in trying to remedy the situation either. I played tse88 before and had some lag, but nothing too horrible. A few of the euros I played with I had heavier lag with but what are ya gonna do?

Re invisible players and disconnects--I'd recommend following woodchuck's trick and not skipping the cutscene where players go in. Also sitting through the opening cutscene might help. Based on my personal experience (and this is rather nuts), I'd also recommend not subbing at 65+, because this seems to often lead to disconnects and invisible players.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Recently when I've played the opposing team has invisible players prior to kickoff, I just wait for a few seconds and they seem to pop up one by one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ChrisGoldstein said:
Recently when I've played the opposing team has invisible players prior to kickoff, I just wait for a few seconds and they seem to pop up one by one.

Yep, which is why I think sitting through the cutscene might even obviate the need for even that. I rarely get invisible players, but I get a TON of disconnects, almost always in the 65-75m range, and often associated with a sub coming in. Go figure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, it's really across both. And it's whether I'm hosting or not. Only consistent thing seems to be that it hasn't happened in a game where there's no sub after 60. Not THAT common, maybe 1/5 or 1/10 games, but annoying enough.

Exypher

ChrisGoldstein said:

I get that as well. Maybe it has something to do with some people having the game installed opposed to people who haven't? It only started for me after the NXE update.

I don't have it installed btw.

Tf53

Regarding Tse88 and lag, the worst lag I've encountered in FIFA was while playing him. He hosted both matches, so I don't know if that's the problem. I have a vague recollection of hearing that Australia's internet connections are shit, so that might be the problem. Koji, are you having lag while not being the host?

k0ji-wd

Tf53 said:
Regarding Tse88 and lag, the worst lag I've encountered in FIFA was while playing him. He hosted both matches, so I don't know if that's the problem. I have a vague recollection of hearing that Australia's internet connections are shit, so that might be the problem. Koji, are you having lag while not being the host?

Australian internet IS shit in general, but my connection in Aus is ADSL2 with a D/L speed of 2 megs a sec and an upload speed of about 200kb/s which should be plenty for XBL so I don't know how that could be a problem. . .though when I played you I was lagging pretty bad in that match.

I'm in Hong Kong now for work, and my connection is a little slower at 150kb/s upload speed with a similar download speed. I don't think the lag is consistent with my being the host or not though, and I haven't played that many games in the league anyway.

Astro and Woodchuck, did i lag spazz you guys out when we played?

Magicked

k0ji-wd said:
Australian internet IS shit in general, but my connection in Aus is ADSL2 with a D/L speed of 2 megs a sec and an upload speed of about 200kb/s which should be plenty for XBL so I don't know how that could be a problem. . .though when I played you I was lagging pretty bad in that match.

I'm in Hong Kong now for work, and my connection is a little slower at 150kb/s upload speed with a similar download speed. I don't think the lag is consistent with my being the host or not though, and I haven't played that many games in the league anyway.

Astro and Woodchuck, did i lag spazz you guys out when we played?

It's not really a question of the bandwidth though. It's the latency, which I'm sure is probably around 200+ ms. This is what causes the lag. I mean, when we're playing each other, our packets have to literally travel to the other side of the globe.

It's not like players were jumping around or anything when we played a while ago. This game actually smooths out the latency problems pretty well. The problem is that the delay between when you press a button and when the player actually carries out the action gets much worse. For instance, when I did a pass, it was nearly a half second before my guy actually does the pass. This makes it quite hard to keep possession.

This is really just FYI though about what happened when we played. I really don't care that much, because you didn't knock me out of the league or anything because of it. :p

k0ji-wd

Magicked said:
It's not really a question of the bandwidth though. It's the latency, which I'm sure is probably around 200+ ms. This is what causes the lag. I mean, when we're playing each other, our packets have to literally travel to the other side of the globe.

It's not like players were jumping around or anything when we played a while ago. This game actually smooths out the latency problems pretty well. The problem is that the delay between when you press a button and when the player actually carries out the action gets much worse. For instance, when I did a pass, it was nearly a half second before my guy actually does the pass. This makes it quite hard to keep possession.

This is really just FYI though about what happened when we played. I really don't care that much, because you didn't knock me out of the league or anything because of it. :p

yeah, i understand that now. . .though i've seen that kinda problem a bit when I play online, I kinda learnt a bit to deal with it by just not pressing the buttons after I've hit them. . .since they'll register a few seconds later. . .bah i'll just move to the US for my remaining games

Daigoro

Magicked said:
Okay, cool.

I'll be around tomorrow evening for our match.:D

sory, ive been ignoring the thread.

you gonna be around tonight? let me know asap if you can, cause otherwise ill be playing L4D on PC probably.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol on the real though we gotta get the playoffs DONE by next friday b/c after that it's bye-bye everybody.

not even so sure s2 is a good idea anymore

woodchuck

ughhhhh

replay if you both agree on it.

did you guys watch all cutscenes? or maybe i havent gotten the invisible player bug since i installed the game

nah, its cool. It was real late in the game. He had a great build up before the score. Not sure if it would have made a big difference. I was just shocked. It came in the 90th minute :-/ Overall it was a good game.

1-1

We're about to play our second game right now. EA better patch this damn bug before season 2.

Magicked

Daigoro said:
sory, ive been ignoring the thread.

you gonna be around tonight? let me know asap if you can, cause otherwise ill be playing L4D on PC probably.

Now it was my turn to ignore this thread for a while. I'm around now, but I don't think I'll be on too much longer. I have to work tomorrow, and then I'm off to Florida for 1.5 weeks on vacation. So I guess I never had much chance of getting through this "not as good as others" tourney. Perhaps someone needs to sub for me as well?:lol

woodchuck

to go out like that must be tough. well, thanks for participating!

looks like i have a rematch with shinobi next

obligatory man down pic:

610x.jpg

Top Bottom