• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

Tf53

cjelly said:
FF_VIII

Is my last game, I would send him a message over LIVE but dunno his Gamertag, it isn't on LeagueDaddy. :(
Since he's out of the playoff picture, I can sub for him if you want me to.

woodchuck said:
if schalke wins, milan will be playing real madrid...
I'll be on live 20min from now. Hopefully sneaky77(Athletic Bilbao) will be around soon.

EDIT: 5:45pm est will be the best time for me to get that last game in. Otherwise I wont be able to get back on until 10:30pm est.

sneaky77 said:
i was having issues with the ea servers, I'll get on around 5:45 and try again
Im jumping on right now.

EDIT: Damn :( Sneaky is having problems with the ea servers. I'll be back online around 10pm est. Hopefully earlier. Sorry guys.

woodchuck

woodchuck said:
Funny you ask that. I was just about to give out details about the tournament involving people who didn't make the playoffs.

NEOGAF TOURNAMENT OF LOSERS

- Will include the 4 teams from each conference who just missed the playoffs (seeds 9-12) so 8 teams total.

- Single Elimination

- WILL NOT be conducted through League Daddy

- No stat tracking except scores

- After a completed match, just post the score in this thread and I will update the bracket

- Will begin on December 8th

- WILL NOT be played through the in-game league

- MUST BE PLAYED THROUGH 7 MINUTE CUSTOM UNRANKED MATCHES. WILL INCLUDE OT AND PENALTY KICKS

- TO PLAY A CUSTOM UNRANKED MATCH:

Xbox Live > Online Game Modes > FIFA 09 Match Creation > Head to Head Play > Create Match > Create Unranked Session

You can then change the half length to 7 min and make it a private session and invite your opponent.

hs42zb.jpg

We will need subs for Ajax in NA and Juventus, Valencia in EU. any volunteers?

if not, i'll just keep going down the list for who gets to play in the tournament. problem is that the eu conference is a mess in terms of who's playing their games.

woodchuck

thanks for getting the game in guys. and thanks sneaky for playing all the matches in a timely manner...even when you were having connection problems.

PLAYOFFS ARE NOW OPEN! Be sure to check the League News on the front page as well as the Playoff Info.

Playoff Seeds:

1. Portsmouth
2. Fiorentina
3. Villareal
4. Inter Milan
5. Werder Bremen
6. Hamburg
7. Sevilla
8. Bayern Munich

1. Real Madrid
2. Toronto
3. Man Utd
4. Athletico Madrid
5. Barcelona
6. Lyon
7. Schalke
8. AC Milan

sneaky77 said:
well at least i got all my games in. that game sucked, but whatever.
Good game. You had some really good chances.

woodchuck, I noticed that league daddy cleared the regular season standings. Is there any way to see these again?

woodchuck

yeah...i changed it back to regular season standings/stats.

later tonight, i'll change it to playoffs standings/stats.

unfortunately, we can't choose to view regular season standings and playoff stats. it's one or the other.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gonna repost the nice playoff rules woodchuck drew up since there are a lot of differences from the regular season:

- We are using the aggregate goals, home/away format of the Champions League with away goals as the tiebreaker.

Champions league rules: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071223124747AA7jtqX

- Play each set of games (home/away) through the in-game league UNLESS you've been getting disconnections through the in-game league. Then play the games through a 7 minute custom unranked match and end it after 90 minutes.

- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF TEAM STATS FOR THE PLAYOFF MATCHES...JUST THE PLAYER STATS.

- If everything is still tied after two games (aggregate goals as well as away goals), then play a THIRD match through 7 MINUTE CUSTOM UNRANKED MATCH and keep playing through overtime and Penalty Kicks. you DO NOT have to keep track of stats for this 3rd match. just who won.

To make a 7 minute custom unranked match:
Xbox Live > Online Game Modes > FIFA 09 Match Creation > Head to Head Play > Create Match > Create Unranked Session

Then change the half length to 7 minutes.

- You can play the playoffs at your own pace. If you know who your opponent in the next round already is, you can go ahead and play further rounds. You do not have to wait for everyone to finish the round. BUT the matches must be completed by the due dates.

- The final match will be a single game. The finalists can agree upon who is the home team.

woodchuck

looks like i play Fifty in the 1st round. i'll be sure to do obnoxious celebrations after each of my goals scored as i blow him out

Fifty

woodchuck said:
looks like i play Fifty in the 1st round. i'll be sure to do obnoxious celebrations after each of my goals scored as i blow him out

I expect no less.

England vs France..no better way to start this thing.

whoever decides they are gonna sub for valencia please let me know and we will arrange the game.

Woodchuck I take it the rules for Uefa Cup Knock-out are the same you are using for champions league.

Exypher

Tf53 said:
Exypher, I sent you a friend request on Live. When's a good time to play the games?

I can probably play tonight if that suits you, otherwise probably tuesday or wednesday evening. After that it'd have to be on saturday or sunday, my thursday and friday are pretty much booked :)

Tf53

Exypher said:
I can probably play tonight if that suits you, otherwise probably tuesday or wednesday evening. After that it'd have to be on saturday or sunday, my thursday and friday are pretty much booked :)
I'll be out tonight from about 3pm GMT onwards, but tomorrow sounds good.

I cant believe i didn't make the playoffs :) I did however get the diving header achievement against Gold.

Im taking over for Arsenal in loser tournament so Sneak we can play whenever.

Magicked

fivehorizons said:
I cant believe i didn't make the playoffs :) I did however get the diving header achievement against Gold.

I've never even seen a diving header in this game by anyone (CPU included).

Also, do we have any idea who will be playing Ajax? I need to get this game going ASAP because I will be going out of town Friday.

Magicked said:
I've never even seen a diving header in this game by anyone (CPU included).

Also, do we have any idea who will be playing Ajax? I need to get this game going ASAP because I will be going out of town Friday.

Id never seen it either and i did a cross to Drogba and he kinda leaned forward and popped it in. Never left his feet...but I had already tackled someone in the penalty box and was down 2-0

AndresON777

shooting blanks
fivehorizons said:

Yeah that was a fantastic goal. I almost threw my controller against the wall on that one. Luckily on the previous ranked match I played right before you signed on I lost on pks so I was ready for that pk shot, which made all the difference.

woodchuck

kobashi100 said:
whoever decides they are gonna sub for valencia please let me know and we will arrange the game.

Woodchuck I take it the rules for Uefa Cup Knock-out are the same you are using for champions league.

actually...they're not. for the uefa cup, we're just making it as simple as possible. Here are the rules:

NEOGAF TOURNAMENT OF LOSERS

- Will include the 4 teams from each conference who just missed the playoffs (seeds 9-12) so 8 teams total.

- Single Elimination

- WILL NOT be conducted through League Daddy

- No stat tracking except scores

- After a completed match, just post the score in this thread and I will update the bracket

- Will begin on December 8th

- WILL NOT be played through the in-game league

- MUST BE PLAYED THROUGH 7 MINUTE CUSTOM UNRANKED MATCHES. WILL INCLUDE OT AND PENALTY KICKS

- TO PLAY A CUSTOM UNRANKED MATCH:

You can then change the half length to 7 min and make it a private session and invite your opponent.

Fifty

My new move is giving up goals at the ABSOLUTE worst times. Astrolad knows all about that, now Woodchuck does.

I played the first game and lost 3-1 away

I gave up the 2nd goal seconds after he made it 1-0, and the 3rd goal in 90th minute stoppage time. Two absolute horrible goals to concede. Disgusting.

woodchuck

good games fifty. tough break on some of those goals.

also, my bad if you wanted to host the first game. i didnt see your pm.

LD isn't loading for me right now. I'll input the scores and the player stats later.

sneaky77

fivehorizons said:

i may be able to do it tomorrow, but in all likelyhood saturday or sunday works better since I am in the middle of moving

Fifty

me so sad. so sad. chifty's season is over so quickly. all my dominating wins are rubbed out in two sad, uncreative efforts.

I loved the lack of fouls during that game..oh wait, no I didn't! I choose to complain about that, and only that. Next season I'm picking the most thuggish team I can think of. We're going to hurt some people.

k0ji-wd

cjelly, when you free to play our fixtures? tried sending message over XBL, didn't get a reply.

and looks like you're doing nicely now with lyon, woodchuck :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Before people completely bail out of the thread after getting knocked out, should note that we'll be doing a Season 2 likely with a whole new format in the new year. We'll post all the details here and create a new thread when things are ready to go. Everyone who participated fully in this league is of course invited, and we will probably be limiting the numbers to 16 (e.g., MLS) or so so that we have only the dedicated owners. As cool as it was to have a 32-team league, having several people bail out on their teams and just be hard to reach was frustrating, especially for woodchuck and me. 16 dedicated owners, otoh, should be truly great.

Top Bottom