• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

Shouta

I'd recommend getting Raise II first and foremost Luke. The Staff is really icing on the cake and while holy's a decent spell, most parties won't ever do the skillchains you want to MB it (not to mention most don't ever fight the mobs weak to holy outside of Goblins really). Also, I've heard Raise II can be found in the Quicksands coffer but I don't know if it's fully true or not.

RuGalz

IMO, save up for Raise 2 like Shouta says. And personally I'd get Dark Staff before Light staff. Light staff is more of a luxury for WHM where as Dark staff helps overall performance. Light staff is good for Brd, Rdm and Smn whoes healing skills aren't as high as Whm. Blm sub is definately good but Smn sub for WHM isn't shabby either. RDM is just not much of a subjob except for Drg IMO.

Xaerus

Shouta said:
I'd recommend getting Raise II first and foremost Luke. The Staff is really icing on the cake and while holy's a decent spell, most parties won't ever do the skillchains you want to MB it (not to mention most don't ever fight the mobs weak to holy outside of Goblins really). Also, I've heard Raise II can be found in the Quicksands coffer but I don't know if it's fully true or not.

Well if it does, then it's news to a lot of people. You can only get the QS map, the Samurai AF pants and the Dragoon AF Boots, if I recall correctly.

*EDIT* Hmm, Sticks' site does say that you can get raise 2 from a coffer. I don't know why but my languages are all messed up.

Azrael

Had a nice weekend with the game. Raised my fishing skill to lvl 18 and passed the Initiate test, and was 2-3 for the BCNM 20 battle. Went with a BST, PAL (me) and WHM. First time none of our BST's charms stuck and we got creamed. Second time BST used her 2-hr on one of the Furries, and after killing the other Furry and Colo-Colo the BST zoned to release the last bat and the rest of us finished it off. Only got crappy drops through: Platoon Axe, Sneak Scroll and White Stone. The third time went pretty smoothly and got Mithril Beastcoin, Green Stone and Thunder Pact Scroll. So we should walk away with about 50k gil each. Not as good as a BCNM 40, but it was a lot of fun to put together.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Currently getting back the gil for the Haubergeon first, then maybe the good NIN equipment I was using (Emp Hairpin, and Leaping Boots) later on for our group. Part of me really just want to lvl the damn job and get it over with and since we're a 3 NIN team, losing the equipment isn't going to kill us.

Really now just itching to cap off NIN and get back to lvling WAR.

Lu Shangs is nice though. Looking forward to raising fishing with it. =)

Kintaro

Kweh said:
Isn't Raise II a drop from the Yagudo Priest on Oztroja? /scared

Or is that Raise III

Hmmm...It's Raise II. Can also get it by beating the Coral Sahagin in SSG too. Both High Priest and Sahgin are lvl 72-74ish.

We were in Quicksand Caves today and we thought Raise II was a Coffer Chest drop too. Possibly anyways. It's also, of course a BCNM drop as well.

Raise III is a BCNM drop (60 and 70) and, erm, well, it's dropped from Zha'Da Adamanking (lvl 85 HNM) and Kirin (estimated lvl 90).

Adamanking (kick ASS):
zadha.jpg

Kirin (yes, it's just a damn Manticore. Lazy ass SE):
Kirin.jpg

Xaerus

It's funny how the Yagudo High Priest drops a lot of high level WHM stuff. Raise II, Reraise III, Cure V, Regen III, Shellra IV, and the WHM Testimony. I guess it's because you'd essentially have to fight him twice if he uses Benediction.

Mock

Banned
Not to break up the flow of conversation here, but I'm new to the board. If you've ever posted over on IGN, I'm the same Mock that posts over there, just a tad burnt out on IGN.

Just curious if any other FFXI players here are on Titan. I am a Taru WHM known as Foobar there :)

Mariner

Raise II is a pain in the ass really, because its 200k for something that does not really benefit the user at all. I'm lucky though, because my party is planning on buying it for me in the near future. Now all I need is a dark staff...

Xaerus

Well if you're new to the game, then it'd be easy for you to get to fairy, I'm sure we could supply a worldpass.

Mock

Banned
Eh.. thanks, but I just got all the advanced jobs and about to top off my WHM at 37 before getting into Summoner. Plus, I got a site to work on for my Linkshell.

I just have some newbish questions, first off

Are summoner's generally good characters?

and what would be the best combination of character/skills to make a kickass summoner?

AND

Would anyone suggest being a samuri or ninja? Those both sound interesting :>

Ok i've had FFIX before and i got up to about lvl 34 and it got really tiring not being able to find someone to lvl up with every time i get on. Now since the PS2 came out is there lots more people? also have they added much to the game? like new areas, more monsters (not just color variations of other monsters), and new weapons or armor?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BlackSalad said:
I just have some newbish questions, first off

Are summoner's generally good characters?

and what would be the best combination of character/skills to make a kickass summoner?

AND

Would anyone suggest being a samuri or ninja? Those both sound interesting :>

Summoner is more of a toy than a useful job. To be a good summoner, you need to have them all, and you ened to know how to use them all, know the effects of every summon's special attacks. Most summoners, well suck, and thats highly sue to there being WAY to many summoners out there now that queare allows lvl 20 summoners to get all the summons (Except, thankfully, for Fenrir)

also have they added much to the game? like new areas, more monsters (not just color variations of other monsters), and new weapons or armor?

Not much in the way of new areas or monsters, which are data-intensive and can't really be added in downloadable patches after all (although making alternate versions of existing areas, as with Dynamis, is a nice hack). Maybe you should wait until the release of the new expansion this fall.

Munba

Some new Promathia Expansion info from Famitsu:

Two new NPCs will be introduced: Urmia, a female Elvaan who acts around the granddaughter of the oldest one of Tavnazia and Eshantar who calls himself as a deputy of Kam'lanaut, the Grand Duke of Jeuno.

Also they shown new areas:
- Tavnazia Underground Dig
- Urgalan Mountain Chains (snow-covered mountains)
- Fomuna Channel
- Biviki Bay

Munba

Munba said:
Some new Promathia Expansion info from Famitsu:

Two new NPCs will be introduced: Urmia, a female Elvaan who acts around the granddaughter of the oldest one of Tavnazia and Eshantar who calls himself as a deputy of Kam'lanaut, the Grand Duke of Jeuno.

Also they shown new areas:
- Tavnazia Underground Dig
- Urgalan Mountain Chains (snow-covered mountains)
- Fomuna Channel
- Biviki Bay

Munba

cool thanks for the info guys. I probably will start a new character soon just completely start over from square one.

Mock

Banned
DrForester said:
Summoner is more of a toy than a useful job. To be a good summoner, you need to have them all, and you ened to know how to use them all, know the effects of every summon's special attacks. Most summoners, well suck, and thats highly sue to there being WAY to many summoners out there now that queare allows lvl 20 summoners to get all the summons (Except, thankfully, for Fenrir)

I've met good ones and bad ones, but overall, I wouldn't write off the job as a toy or mere eye candy. I've met quite a few badass summoners.

If you sub WHM for SMN and get all the Avatars ASAP, you'll be a great supporting character. Party buffs like Ice Spikes and Aerial Armor help a great deal and that's something RDM and WHM can't bring to the table. However, as with any job, a SMN in your party isn't an essential and their role can easily be filled by a Bard or Red Mage, both of which can also be very desireable.

I'm starting on SMN soon, but I've got a bit of farming and fundraising to do before I get started. Once I get all my teleports, lack of gil shouldn't be an issue for long.

Kintaro

Mock said:
I've met good ones and bad ones, but overall, I wouldn't write off the job as a toy or mere eye candy. I've met quite a few badass summoners.

If you sub WHM for SMN and get all the Avatars ASAP, you'll be a great supporting character. Party buffs like Ice Spikes and Aerial Armor help a great deal and that's something RDM and WHM can't bring to the table. However, as with any job, a SMN in your party isn't an essential and their role can easily be filled by a Bard or Red Mage, both of which can also be very desireable.

I'm starting on SMN soon, but I've got a bit of farming and fundraising to do before I get started. Once I get all my teleports, lack of gil shouldn't be an issue for long.

High lvl SMNs (talking 65-70+) also become *very* powerful as well. Not to mention actually replace a WHM with little to no problem (with exception of ports). SMNs, with 2 hour at that lvl, also have one of the most powerful single shot attacks in the game (Astral Flow).

Mock

Banned
Kintaro said:
High lvl SMNs (talking 65-70+) also become *very* powerful as well. Not to mention actually replace a WHM with little to no problem (with exception of ports). SMNs, with 2 hour at that lvl, also have one of the most powerful single shot attacks in the game (Astral Flow).

Yeah, I've seen people say SMN can eventually replace WHM, I'm currently at level 36, though, so I find it a bit questionable since you NEED Cure III around that level in many situations becuase some mobs hit too hard and too fast for Cure or Cure II to make a difference. Even if you do have tons of MP, the lack of Cure III hurt, not to mention many of the other real WHM goodies. So WHM is still a necessity in many cases.

I played SMN a bit more to day and I can see how its a challenging job. But I did play an Enchanter in EQ, which was almost a complete party-support character as well, so I should be able to do well with it once I get all the macros sorted out. Kinda confused on how to to do Blood Pact macros and I'm still activating them from the menu.

Xaerus

You can sub WHM and get Cure III, most of the status heals (except Stona), the low level teleports and some other utility/heal spells. Of course you wont get any of the really useful versions of Protectra and Shellra, especially at 75, since you only get the the II's (at lv27 and 37 for WHM).

Of course even without WHM, SMN gets some really good abilities. Leviathan has that nice AOE heal + status heal (dunno how effective the heal is). Carbuncle can use some decent heal abilites. Even Garuda has a healing ability. They also have some other very useful spells.

RuGalz

SMN can easily replace WHM past level 60 unless you are leveling on mobs that require Stona. Half of the parties I had between lv 63-68 did not have WHM. Heck, in some parties I was the main healer with BRD as backup/status cure since I'm RDM/BLM. It really just depends on what you are fighting and party configuration.

Xaerus

Gattsu25 said:
don't forget that at 25 SMN gets auto-refresh...always on 1MP/3sec IIRC

I'm not, I'm just covering the abilities the avatars have, which is the bulk of what SMN gets.

Rugalz: Leviathan can use his heal/status heal to get rid of Petrify IIRC, it does say it heals all status ailments.

Kweh

I hit lvl 70 at the weekend and am 10k from 71, now have to lvl my dagger up to face maat. I've been delaying it for as long as possible, but my time is up.

I also have all the avatars (apart from Fenrir), and will prolly go SMN, WHM or MNK for my second career

Kintaro

Welll, server is down for 8 hours today (oof, EIGHT hours...) for maintainence and the second half of the patch for windows users. Can't wait to see *exactly* what they ass after it's all said and done. Hopefully, something (if anything) for some jobs. No hidden nerfs/etc.

Here's hoping!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, was a fun weekend.

Got that BLM sub up to 25, so it fully covers my WHM which i also got back up to 50 again.

Almost have enough money for my shield, which i'll use till i can afford a staff.

Completed the first level cap quest, want to get to 52 and get my first (real) AF item.

Question for all the high level WHM out there. Any of you get randomly dissconected once you've vanished after casting Teleport-Vahzl? Or anyone else for that matter, just for entering Xarcabard by any means?

Kweh

Kintaro said:
Welll, server is down for 8 hours today (oof, EIGHT hours...) for maintainence and the second half of the patch for windows users. Can't wait to see *exactly* what they ass after it's all said and done. Hopefully, something (if anything) for some jobs. No hidden nerfs/etc.

Here's hoping!

omg, 8hrs?! That sucks, they have just gone down for maintenance, so its no FFXI for me tonight (I'm GMT).

What on earth are they including in this patch ?

RuGalz

There's a ton of changes for Batallia, new BCNM and adjustments. Also some other things like merit point, new graphics for equipments, new items, etc. You can log on to POL and read all the updates.

Ploid 3.0

I was in my first party with one of the GAF LS members (spiderlily). It started as a sketchy party then we figured out how to get things under control and maximize damage. My highest hit was 606 I think. Spider got over the 550 mark too. After the lvl 50 PAL left though, things started to go down hill. The new PAL seemed to have the DEF of a MNK or something. Died about 4 times.

Ploid 3.0

Check this out. (THF info)

The job ability "Sneak Attack" can now deal critical damage to an enemy from any direction when used in conjunction with the job ability "Hide."

So now you can Sneak>Trick>Hide>Viper right onto a tank who is facing the mob. link to the source I got the info from

Edit: Oh someone already said something about this lol. I wasn't paying attention. Woot anyway <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>

Kintaro

RuGalz said:
Not that boring if we actually get people's acts together to do BCNMs. Go TEAM BST!

How do you propose that? I honestly don't feel like lvling up BST =P

RuGalz

I don't know about the rest but I'm sure Gragon, Darkshire and Nightwing will eventually get BST up to my level. If Hogashi and Vepu come through, that's 6 BSTs. And when Xias comes back that's 7 BSTs. Rest of people can hear how we make tons of gils from BCNM AND regular leveling, they will want to level their BST. ;)

You will just make your gils with fishing anyway. :p

Kintaro

RuGalz said:
I don't know about the rest but I'm sure Gragon, Darkshire and Nightwing will eventually get BST up to my level. If Hogashi and Vepu come through, that's 6 BSTs. And when Xias comes back that's 7 BSTs. Rest of people can hear how we make tons of gils from BCNM AND regular leveling, they will want to level their BST. ;)

You will just make your gils with fishing anyway. :p

BST/WAR is pretty damn gimpy though. And lvling WHM is...well, not my idea of fun really.

Azrael

That's my big beef for BST. They give you one job you can solo, but to be good at it, it's required that you join a party to lvl WHM to 37. It defeats the whole purpose of having a solo job in the first place if I'd have to take WHM from 1-37 to take that path. I probably would have picked BST over PAL if it hadn't meant needing to lvl WHM.

If they add any more jobs with CoP or future updates, I'd really like to see more jobs that can solo. There's plenty of damage dealers, tanks and support jobs to choose from, but the selection of solo jobs is incredibly limited. I'd love to see a job that's designed for people that want to solo but don't have WHM leveled and have no desire to use that job.

RuGalz

The main reason for WHM sub is for FREE status cure and healing occasionally. You can always bring antidode and potion and sub Nin. In the early stage of BST, it doesn't matter that much what you sub as long as you can cure poison. You hardly have enough mp to cure yourself at lower level, unless you are a Taru. By the time you can use Utsusemi you shouldn't be getting hit much so cure isn't too cruicial. Sub WHM is helpful but it's definately not required.

Top Bottom