• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

Mock

Banned
Azrael said:
If they add any more jobs with CoP or future updates, I'd really like to see more jobs that can solo. There's plenty of damage dealers, tanks and support jobs to choose from, but the selection of solo jobs is incredibly limited. I'd love to see a job that's designed for people that want to solo but don't have WHM leveled and have no desire to use that job.

RDM and BST can solo at any level, so those are your options. Adding additional soloable jobs kinda defeats the purpose of an MMORPG.

I don't want to level up WAR to do DRG, but people are going to expect it of me even if I'm playing a Taru. You can sub WAR or PLD and get away with it, but WHM is by FAR going to be the most effective sub that secures a BST's independance.

Trust me, it ain't that hard to level WHM and it has its exciting moments, not to mention the financial perks of donations for raise and teleports. Suck it up and level WHM to 37. I have and I have no regrets.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mock said:
RDM and BST can solo at any level, so those are your options. Adding additional soloable jobs kinda defeats the purpose of an MMORPG.

I don't want to level up WAR to do DRG, but people are going to expect it of me even if I'm playing a Taru. You can sub WAR or PLD and get away with it, but WHM is by FAR going to be the most effective sub that secures a BST's independance.

Trust me, it ain't that hard to level WHM and it has its exciting moments, not to mention the financial perks of donations for raise and teleports. Suck it up and level WHM to 37. I have and I have no regrets.

Yes, WHM is the subjob of choice for BST. Do a search on BSTs on our server and the vast, vast majority is BST/WHM. Why? Cuz it works the best.

RDM cannot solo at any lvl either btw. Early lvls? Yes? After that? Good luck. Until 74, RDM soloing will be very hard. Ask Rugalz.

Now, suck it up and lvl WHM? Fuck that shit. I don't have to do shit. I got enough shit to spend my gil on just on WAR. WHM? No thanks.

RuGalz

RDM don't have problem soloing EP at any stage with any sub. With even just Utsusemi Ichi I'm fairly sure I can solo DC or EM stuff. The main reason I can't solo well is because I have BLM sub. But soloing for XP as RDM is no where as efficient as BST. Then again I doubt anyone ever tried RDM/BST.

I'm switching over to BST/NIN as soon as I have Nin leveled anyway since I can make antidode and potion relatively cheap. With Utsusemi on, when charm fails I can charm again before I get hit. As for a BST static, I might go as BST/BRD, BST/NIN or BST/RDM depends on who has what subbed. No way I'm leveling WHM for BST but there's plenty options when you are in a BST party. All I care about as BST is the gils. :D

Mock

Banned
Kintaro said:
Now, suck it up and lvl WHM? Fuck that shit. I don't have to do shit. I got enough shit to spend my gil on just on WAR. WHM? No thanks.

Suit yourself.

Statistically, I don't have to sub WAR for DRG and could make up any shortcoming in stats by way of gear. But then, that pet dragon is my 2-hour ability and my subjob affects that pet dragon directly. Fire Breath with my TP attacks is going to bring more to the table than Healing Breath will. When I'm dealing with an AOE mob, I'm going to want that extra VIT for the pet dragon and want Provoke in case it draws hate, not to mention the extra DEX.

WHM makes BST completely soloable, all other combos will see more downtime and early on, you'll be begging for someone to cast Poisona on you (unless you like coughing up 300 or more for each antidote). WHM also provide the extra CHR you won't be seeing for many levels in terms of gear. And honestly, if levelling WHM makes you cringe, levelling BRD for the CHR will drive you nuts.

Kintaro

Ouch, looks like SE slipped in another nerf. This time, for the BSTs.

- Attack range and charm range is shortened. Meaning, you will have to get much closer to your target in other to target them/or send your pet to attack the target.

- Charm will no longer claim NMs. This was BST's voke, and it got ripped from them on NMs. Ouch.

The range nerf will affect BCNMs. Before, you could stand a bit away and send in your sacrifice pet, sleep/charm the pets, and go from there. Now, you must get much closer, and aggro will become a problem. Unless you carry a Bard with you to sleep the mobs of course. However, sleep isn't 100% on those BCNM Rabbits/Mandra.

SE slippin in the secret nerfs. What a bitch =/

Mock

Banned
Kintaro said:
Ouch, looks like SE slipped in another nerf. This time, for the BSTs.

- Attack range and charm range is shortened. Meaning, you will have to get much closer to your target in other to target them/or send your pet to attack the target.

- Charm will no longer claim NMs. This was BST's voke, and it got ripped from them on NMs. Ouch.

The range nerf will affect BCNMs. Before, you could stand a bit away and send in your sacrifice pet, sleep/charm the pets, and go from there. Now, you must get much closer, and aggro will become a problem. Unless you carry a Bard with you to sleep the mobs of course. However, sleep isn't 100% on those BCNM Rabbits/Mandra.

SE slippin in the secret nerfs. What a bitch =/

Uh... BSTs had to get in close before anyway and if you're subbing something like WHM so you can cast Sneak, Deodorize or Invisible and get in close with no real problem. I played BST last night and saw no real difference.

As for preventing them from charming NMs, well, that's just being fair. Anyone that charms Leaping Lizzy or any other NM and prances around with it is just being a cock, kinda like the EQ Enchanters who would charm a quest NPC and hunt with it.

Kintaro

Shinji said:
They use charm to claim a NM not to run around with it ;).

Bingo. Their own version of provoke in a way.

Btw, if high lvl BST buds on my server say their have been changes after 60-75 lvls of the job, there are changes.

Mock

Banned
Shinji said:
They use charm to claim a NM not to run around with it ;).

Newbie BST, sue me for jumping to conclusions :p Level 12, nor really ready for NM hunts yet.

Still the good ol' bow and arrow there for you though, not as fast as Voke or charm, but even if you miss you still get aggro.

For some reason today, I had a lapse in sanity and sold all my WHM gear to focus on RDM and DRG. I really like DRG :) and its kinda funny to see a Taru outdamaging a Galka in melee. I'm only level 18 this point and I'm still trying to figure out how to pull off the Healing Breath bit, but its fun.

RuGalz

The party member's health has to be less than 1/3 without AF and less than 1/2 with AF for healing breath to activate IIRC.

nataku

Details on Current Known Issues

Since the implement of the latest version update on Jun. 29, 2004, several game play and system related issues have been discovered. A new update to address these issues has been made and is currently being tested. Players will be informed as soon as a download date has been set.

-An issue in which monsters appearing in garrison battles would not disappear after the quest ended.

-An issue in which monsters' names would be red or purple the moment they appeared, preventing players from immediately attacking them.

-An issue limiting the types of monsters that can be caught while fishing, resulting in the inability to receive items necessary for certain quests.

-An issue causing the range of certain spells and abilities to be shorter than usual.

-An issue preventing players from attacking Old Sabertooth, located in the Sauromugue Champaign.

-An issue preventing certain monsters in Dynamis - Xarcabard from using their special abilities.

Mock

Banned
RuGalz said:
The party member's health has to be less than 1/3 without AF and less than 1/2 with AF for healing breath to activate IIRC.

Yeah, I finally got a good PT I could figure it out with (i.e. they didn't pull dumb shit that gets my wyvern killed in the first five minutes.) It's 1/3 any PT member's health and then cast a spell to trigger it (Dia's the fastest). Saved the WHM's ass quite a few times with Healing Breath tonight.

I also moved up to Healing Breath II tonight when I hit 20 :)

Brannon

FFXI newbie here, have no idea what I'm doing, but so far I'm running around the early fields of Bastok as a White Mage Hume beating the crap out of bats and worms and goblins. Clubbin' it old skool.

RuGalz

0-4 now. Was able to take a bit more beating with new gears but wasn't able to damage him enough. Got him down to 1/2 HP. Basically, the bastard did Dragon Kick just before I was able to convert so my HP went down to 230ish. With only 230 MP I wasn't able to finish him off. Sigh that was 60k just on Elixir and Elixir + 1 but that seems necessary. I'll be broke soon.

They need like a practice arena or something the timing to do convert is tricky... Oh well no big deal, it's going to be months before the LS is going to get up to lv 65 and do some high level missions anyway... Maybe get some buffer for lv 70 and take a break from RDM.

Kintaro

RuGalz said:
0-4 now. Was able to take a bit more beating with new gears but wasn't able to damage him enough. Got him down to 1/2 HP. Basically, the bastard did Dragon Kick just before I was able to convert so my HP went down to 230ish. With only 230 MP I wasn't able to finish him off. Sigh that was 60k just on Elixir and Elixir + 1 but that seems necessary. I'll be broke soon.

They need like a practice arena or something the timing to do convert is tricky... Oh well no big deal, it's going to be months before the LS is going to get up to lv 65 and do some high level missions anyway... Maybe get some buffer for lv 70 and take a break from RDM.

Months hell. As soon as I get my Haubergeon and NIN to 37, it's onward to 75 bitches! =)

WAR vs. Maat is easy as pie. =)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Probably the best day i've ever had in FFXI.

Got rank 6 at level 50 thanks to help from a LS member.

Got to lvl 52 and got to sport my spiffy red WHM AF boots.

Made first trip to hall of gods to watch a (Unnoficial) wedding for LS member who was leaving (That place looks so cool).

Only downside was the dirty trick square plays on you when you hit 51 and see your "Exp to next level" bar. That's wasn't funny :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh...what I would give to have my own goddamn computer right now.

Just a few more weeks till my glorious return (again).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Anyone know of a big big list of good alternatives for areas to level in during the game? I'm starting to find some good ones so far instead of taking the usual route of Homeland>La Thiene/Konschtat>Dunes>Qufim>Yutungha>Yhoator>...for instance Korroloka Tunnel is much better than dunes at lvls 15-20, and Battalia Downs is a great place to lvl 25-28 so long as you can zone to Eldieme Necropolis when in a pinch. So, anyone have any other nifty alternative places to level? I'm thinking particularly of Yhoator and Garliage Citadel at the moment.

Kintaro

Mr Nash said:
Anyone know of a big big list of good alternatives for areas to level in during the game? I'm starting to find some good ones so far instead of taking the usual route of Homeland>La Thiene/Konschtat>Dunes>Qufim>Yutungha>Yhoator>...for instance Korroloka Tunnel is much better than dunes at lvls 15-20, and Battalia Downs is a great place to lvl 25-28 so long as you can zone to Eldieme Necropolis when in a pinch. So, anyone have any other nifty alternative places to level? I'm thinking particularly of Yhoator and Garliage Citadel at the moment.

Our Team Utsu group (which is up to 4 blinkers! 2 WAR/NINs and 2 NIN/WARs, it owns) went Korroloka > Qufim > Batilla Downs > Eastern Altepa > and unsure for 33-36ish but we can stay in Eastern Altepa taking down Desert Dhalmels or hit Behemoth's Dominion and hit Lesser and Greater Gaylas. Either way, we'll find something =)

Mock

Banned
Yhogator and Garalidge aren't so bad if you hit them at JPN peak hours, but once its US peak hours, they're gob and undead training hell because people just zone shit they can't handle over and over and over. These areas are the placesyou should want to look into alternatives for. You've really already been levelling in the good alternatives, these places are popular for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Though for Yhogator, from 28-33, there's this nice little cave in G-8 that's rarely camped because its a little further in, but if your puller is smart, Goblin Smithys and Pathfinders should rarely be an issue.

21-25, there's this little alcove just outside of Jeuno to the west on Sauromange Champagne. It has Diving Beetles and they do link there, but its still an nice spot with great EXP. MUCH better than just EXPing next to the tower in Qufim.

Kintaro

Xaerus said:
I miss being your WHM for Team Utsu. :(

Guess I better level that WHM sub. ;)

Bro, we kept waiting for you but you wouldn't come on some nights. =( We got 4 blinkers now ^^ Night switched to WAR/NIN...but gimps it up with low Axe/Gaxe skills. lol.

Ploid 3.0

What wouldn't I give to be in team UTSU? Here I am pretending to be part of the group >_<;

11295361Utsu.jpg

11295392Utsu.jpg

11295503ustu.jpg

11295544utsu.jpg

11295575utsu.jpg

Scott

Not sure if this is still news to anyone here, but:
Chains of Promathia Release Date Set!

The release date and product info for the Chains of Promathia
expansion pack are as follows:

Release Date: Tuesday, September 21, 2004
(Simultaneous release for PlayStation(R)2 and Windows)

Product Info:
FINAL FANTASY XI: Chains of Promathia
PlayStation(R)2 version: $29.99 (USD)
Windows version: $29.99 (USD)

Note: This expansion pack contains only the Chains of Promathia expansion data and is intended for users who already own FINAL FANTASY XI. It is not possible to play FINAL FANTASY XI using this product alone.

For those who have not yet purchased FINAL FANTASY XI, we will continue to provide the original game, which includes the bonus Rise of the Zilart expansion pack.

We will also begin service of FINAL FANTASY XI in Europe to coincide with the simultaneous release of Chains of Promathia in Japan and North America.
Link: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news2236.shtml

Anyway, and I'm a little late with this post, I cancelled my Content ID (Kytrinn) June 29th. Decided to just take July off, so I could catch up with a bunch of other games, have more spare time for Tales of Symphonia, and ..well.. life. :p Kind of sucks, especially as I got DSL 2 days after cancelling (d'oh!), but I'll live.

Be back August! :)

Rorschach

Mock said:
Yhogator and Garalidge aren't so bad if you hit them at JPN peak hours, but once its US peak hours, they're gob and undead training hell because people just zone shit they can't handle over and over and over. These areas are the placesyou should want to look into alternatives for. You've really already been levelling in the good alternatives, these places are popular for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Though for Yhogator, from 28-33, there's this nice little cave in G-8 that's rarely camped because its a little further in, but if your puller is smart, Goblin Smithys and Pathfinders should rarely be an issue.

21-25, there's this little alcove just outside of Jeuno to the west on Sauromange Champagne. It has Diving Beetles and they do link there, but its still an nice spot with great EXP. MUCH better than just EXPing next to the tower in Qufim.
It's been my experience on fairy that the JP players despise Yhoator and never head there.

Shouta

Yhoator for 28-33 sucks ass because of the massive trains. However, for late 40s, the Yhoator/Ifrit`s cauldron zone owns the house.

Mock

Banned
Rorschach said:
It's been my experience on fairy that the JP players despise Yhoator and never head there.

I don't blame them.

I don't know how someone did it, but they managed to train a Fire Elemental all the way to the Kazham Zone tonight. I had never seen a mob chase a THF so fast before.

Tabris

I did the Waterfalls in Yuhtunga Jungle twice now.

No one ever hunts there. Shame really.

Can take a good chunk out of the Yhoator Jungle experience.

davis

so I put in like 60 plus hours already but am only level20 and keep dying in Jugner Forrest so I bought 50,000 gill off some site, am I a BIG ASS CHEATER? I just want to pay for chocobo and a good weapon.

whenever I pt with the Japanese people they seem like the best players

Mock

Banned
davis said:
so I put in like 60 plus hours already but am only level20 and keep dying in Jugner Forrest so I bought 50,000 gill off some site, am I a BIG ASS CHEATER? I just want to pay for chocobo and a good weapon.

Buying gil online is against the EULA you signed when you agreed to the terms of service so basically, yes, you are cheating. Earning gil is simply not that hard if you know where to hunt, what mobs/NMs to look for and what quests and events to participate in.

When I'm WHM, I can teleport people to crags and make gil that way, sometimes I'll even get donations from doing raises. Whenever I'm in Windurst, I kill every Yagudo or Crawler I come across. When I play melee, I like to farm in Giddeus for spell scrolls, Yagudo Necklaces, NM drops, chest keys and such.

If you're going to buy gil online, I HIGHLY suggest that you do not speak of it in game. If you were involved in a situation where you got talked to by a GM and he saw that shit it your chat log, your account is toast.

Also, consider this, what if you get ripped off? How do you explain to the authorities that you paid real money for fake money? Hell, how do you explain that to your wife?

20040625l.jpg

Kweh

Hmm, well not everyone has time to farm hours and hours for their equipment.

I personally cant say I'd ever spend more real money on this game after its subscription fees aswell.

Kintaro

That "Girls Girls Girls" video owns.

Well, we got our Team Utsu group to lvl 35-36 ish last night. The glories of starting early.

After we complete those jobs to 37, or even before, I'm going to start my Campaign as a Monk. Currently lvl 31 so I got some work to do. =) I just put the WAR stuff in storage at Bastok so can bring it out when needed.

Good thing I got my Lu Shangs, so I can fish for some Black Sole while LFG =D On the upside, I'll have the money to buy whatever equipment I need. =) Cross Counters GET~!

Mock

Banned
Kweh said:
Hmm, well not everyone has time to farm hours and hours for their equipment.

I personally cant say I'd ever spend more real money on this game after its subscription fees aswell.

Not everyone may have the time to invest in these kinds games, but I honestly think MMORPGs were not made for everyone. 50k is chump change compared to what you'll be spending on gear and spells later on. You ain't seen nothin yet. If you're buying gil at level 20, this game could financially destroy you later on.

I'll just take the monthly fee.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Blargh, just over 2 more weeks to go...

And thank god Promathia is gonna be relatively cheap. I was afraid that, being Square, they were gonna charge full price for it.

Kweh

Mock said:
Not everyone may have the time to invest in these kinds games, but I honestly think MMORPGs were not made for everyone. 50k is chump change compared to what you'll be spending on gear and spells later on. You ain't seen nothin yet. If you're buying gil at level 20, this game could financially destroy you later on.

I'll just take the monthly fee.

Agreed, however I am neither for or against the idea of people buying gil online, just as much as I am not bothered about people fish botting. Plenty of people say to me they bought gil to afford their equipment, and I just reply by saying 'I understand'.

I'm a BRD, I cannot farm whatsoever, however I get gil in other methods that have taken me a hell of a long time, and some people just do not have the time to waste endless hours like I did, to get to the point where they are having a fun time.

If they have real money to spend, and have no quibbles with it, then why not do it.

Xaerus

If you don't have time to play an MMORPG (unless its free), then why even try? It's a waste of money, buying gil just wastes more money. Of course, it's your money, spend it how you want.

Kintaro

Got a party as my MNK tonight, and hit 32 before they broke. Man I missed it. I find it very fun. Two more lvl until It's Kote time. I also hit Fishing lvl 51 tonight as well on the Ferry. Also set up an experiment for myself on my mules.

Overall, a productive, fun night. ^^

RuGalz

A couple people died during Xaerus' coffer key hunt.

A few people died during RDM testimony hunt.

Another lost fight to Maat after I shelled out all the gils for MP potions. Seeing how the fight is hardly skill based, I don't know I'll attempt it again as RDM. Level another job to 66? Seems like too much work. Since, XPing is the only thing there's to do while waiting for the GA LS to get enough levels to do some Zilart Missions, I can't even do that any more, maybe it's time to take a long break or retire. I guess I'll figure that out soon.

Only good news is, fishing is 51 as well.

Kintaro

RuGalz said:

Another lost fight to Maat after I shelled out all the gils for MP potions. Seeing how the fight is hardly skill based, I don't think I'll attempt it again as RDM. Level another job to 66? Seems like too much work. Since, XPing is the only thing there's to do while waiting for the GA LS to get enough levels to do some Zilart Missions, I can't even do that any more, maybe it's time to take a long break or retire. I guess I'll figure that out soon.

Wow, Maat is pwning you =/ Don't feel bad. Some RDMs on the FFXIboards have lost 10-20 times. RDMs pwned Come on Shen, if someone like Dierdre can beat Maat, surely you can. Ask around or something.

Here's a link or two about successful fights. RDM vs. Maat Another one

What method did you try this time around?

Xaerus

RuGalz said:

Another lost fight to Maat after I shelled out all the gils for MP potions. Seeing how the fight is hardly skill based, I don't know I'll attempt it again as RDM. Level another job to 66? Seems like too much work. Since, XPing is the only thing there's to do while waiting for the GA LS to get enough levels to do some Zilart Missions, I can't even do that any more, maybe it's time to take a long break or retire. I guess I'll figure that out soon.

Not to mention my internet crapping out. Sympatico has gone to shit. We had a very unlucky night (except your fishing).

Shen, you'll beat him eventually, don't worry.

Top Bottom