• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
LRS said:
You guys think it's worth coming back to FFXI for the expansion? I used to play a 75 rdm on Fairy named Rilix and I think Blue Mage seems like it could be a fun job to play.

I can say personally the expansion rekindled my interest in the game. I was just about ready to quit... picked up ToAU, and now that's the last thing I want to do. Lots to experience with this expansion.

Not sure about Blue Mage... I currently have Puppetmaster at lv. 10 and I am having a blast with it. It's a really nice change from my WHM main. I have been getting a lot of /cheers from passers-by. It's quite fun :)

Shouta

You can start unlocking the jobs at 30 but the quests to get them can be a bit tough. Unless you really sneak/invis all the way, the PUP quest has you in areas with mobs as high as VTs to level 75s.

Belfast

Anybody have a fairy WP? I decided to start over, because I'm not going to remember what the hell I was doing before. Besides, this way I can take advantage of a new 30-day-free offer.

Also, a new Linkpearl, once I get back in, would be nice. :)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Slowly but surely im rebuilding my purse, was @ 800k when i came back a few weeks ago, after some farming im back @ 2.1M, my mule had 20 centurion swords in MH waiting to sell, 17 left.. 4k CP for 100k gil, nice deal imo, really low on CPs now though but who cares.

I also ressurected my gardening mule, after the immense failure i had initially with it trying to get fire ores (all because of 3 freaking hours logging too late), i restarted 2 weeks ago for Wind ores, i did the 2nd crystal feed last night, should be rdy to harvest next week. Much easier to handle gardening with PC than it was with ps2 (who wants to start up the whole home theater @ 6am for something that takes 3 mins..).

So yea, money's building up, but will quickly disapear, enfeebling torque @ 2.1~3m, penetent rope @ 3m, yikes >_<

amazon's being lazy with ToA shipping too.

Any recommendations for a sky/HNM or Dynamis LS? I joined up with one that collapsed after about a month (nobody would show up to farm sky for pop items), and would like to get back into that. And I've never done Dynamis before, only seen terrifying videos.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Hey, thought I would post some pictures of my automaton in case some people haven't seen what they look like with the Valoredge frame and head upgrade:

muffin1.jpg

muffin2.jpg

He's a lot stronger than me now, and with this set he's got a sickle-shaped weapon that opens up and closes like scissors. He does great damage in a party as long as I keep his ACC+ maneuver up.

If you have any questions about Puppetmaster or automatons, post here or send me a /tell and I'll try to answer them for you. I'm currently level 26 and on Fairy server.

Shouta

Uh yeah, we've been around since the game started. We're known as the Stars of Destiny. My character name is Lenneth so if you see me on, just give me a tell.

Rorschach

Can I get in on this linkshell business?! I'm on Fairy too!

I have one sorta vague question about Puppetmaster. How expensive is it? :\

Tamanon

Banned
cloudwalking said:
Nope, my boyfriend and I are both on Fairy. :) Is there a GAF linkshell I don't know about? :D

I assume the Stars of Destiny is still around, it was a few months ago at least if I remember correctly.

Sadly, the WoW guild Dark Stars of Destiny isn't around anymore, we just went all over the place for servers.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Rorschach said:
I have one sorta vague question about Puppetmaster. How expensive is it? :\

I wouldn't recommend trying to do the puppet upgrade anytime soon unless you have 1 million+ gil to blow, or are willing to go and farm the materials (some are a bitch to get, especially the cocoons). People are price gouging the materials right now, but I have a feeling they'll come down in cost once the demand for the items goes down.

Otherwise, Puppetmaster hasn't been that expensive for me so far. Attachments, even crafted ones, are pretty cheap. Automaton oil is dirt cheap. I had a lot of gear already on my mule that can be worn by Puppetmaster, so I haven't been spending much on that, either.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Shouta said:
Cost of me getting my Valoredge: 60k. Early adopter and looking for upgrades out of the gate ftw. :lol

I got mine pretty early. Cost me about 500k to get my materials -- a large chunk of which was a 300k tip for the guy who crafted my Tigerfangs for me. Super nice guy.

Rorschach

cloudwalking said:
I wouldn't recommend trying to do the puppet upgrade anytime soon unless you have 1 million+ gil to blow, or are willing to go and farm the materials (some are a bitch to get, especially the cocoons). People are price gouging the materials right now, but I have a feeling they'll come down in cost once the demand for the items goes down.

Otherwise, Puppetmaster hasn't been that expensive for me so far. Attachments, even crafted ones, are pretty cheap. Automaton oil is dirt cheap. I had a lot of gear already on my mule that can be worn by Puppetmaster, so I haven't been spending much on that, either.
Thanks for the answer.

Great, another thing only for rich and high level peoples. >:| I hate this game!

SpiderJerusalem said:
I'll be your sugarmomma Ror.
:lol

jiggle

The first Besieged was just supposed to happen @ Bismarck, a few minutes ago. Some waited in the city while others decided to intercept the trolls outside... and the trolls retreated before reaching the gate. -.-;

Yeah, alot of disappointed ppl...

bes.jpg

I got the same puppet as Cloudwalking and Shouta.
To get the mage type puppet, it'd cost 2-3mil just to get that wamoura cloth.
So far i've only seen 2 ppl with it, though there must be more.

pup.jpg

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
jiggle said:
I got the same puppet as Cloudwalking and Shouta.
To get the mage type puppet, it'd cost 2-3mil just to get that wamoura cloth.
So far i've only seen 2 ppl with it, though there must be more.[/IMG]

I haven't seen anyone on Fairy with it yet. It looks really neat.

I'm on my next upgrade and that's the puppet I want, but like you mentioned getting the cloth is stupid expensive.

I've been thinking of going to try and farm some of the cocoons... you need 6 of them to be able to craft the cloth, and I can't get any from the guild. But the Wamoura mobs that drop them sometimes check Very Tough or higher to a level 75, so you'd need a high-level group. Not to mention the drop rate is horrible. So far I've only been able to find one person who would be willing to go with me.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Rawk Hawk said:
Do you guys know if there is a hidden gardening skill, like digging? Or can you move right into Ore's if you want?

You can go into Ores if you want. I've been gardening them for almost 2 years and haven't noticed improved results on my original mules (in fact, my first one usually has sub-par results...)

Tabris

Well quick update on my last 5 days back.

I'm on mission 8 of Treasures. Got all 3 jobs unlocked. My Corsair is level 7.

Fought Tiamat, Did some Dynamis, and Fought Cerberus.

I came back and got an invite back from my old linkshell like an hour of being back and I was put to use in a Tiamat fight like 30 minutes after that o_O

Insane! but very fun!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
SpiderJerusalem said:
I'll help, I have some busy days though.

I'll have to do some more research on what the best setup is for farming them. A friend of mine went out to farm the cocoons and he had a miserable time: the PLD got aggro and died on the way there, and once they finally got to camp and began farming, the drop rate was so terrible they only got 2 cocoons in three hours. They didn't have a Thief, though. I'm going to ask some more people if they've had any success.

I'm sure my boyfriend would be willing to help, he's 73 SAM.

Rorschach said:
I'd help, but I'm going to be a low level scrub forever.

/cry

Aww don't worry about it. ^^ I have, like, ADD when it comes to this game and leveling jobs, heh. My highest job is 58 WHM. I'm trying to get it to 60 or higher in the next couple of days. We'll see. :lol

RuGalz

cloudwalking said:
I'll have to do some more research on what the best setup is for farming them. A friend of mine went out to farm the cocoons and he had a miserable time: the PLD got aggro and died on the way there, and once they finally got to camp and began farming, the drop rate was so terrible they only got 2 cocoons in three hours. They didn't have a Thief, though. I'm going to ask some more people if they've had any success.

I'm sure my boyfriend would be willing to help, he's 73 SAM.

I went with Nin, War, Rdm, Blm. It's pretty simple really. Just make sure someone is capable of casting dispel because the blazing spike higher level ones (VT to 75) deals 50+ damage per hit; Nin's hp is half gone if he keeps attacking before rdm could dispel it (takes 1 or 2 dispels). So we end up just turn around whenever the spike is up until it's been dispeled. The mob attacks and walks so slow it's really to deal with even if you are just a full mage party.

Oh just realize you said your highest level is 58 Whm... Well, definately grab some 75 lv... ^^; Lower level ones are not worth farming at all because of real crappy drop rate... I can help whenever I'm free.

Shouta

Count me in for farming some cocoons too. I need one for my Stormwaker frame as well as for some Sipahi gear I want crafted.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Okay, this is great! I'll try to organize something :) Everyone just let me know when the best time is for you and what job you'll go as.

RuGalz

War or Rdm, usually after 7pm pst. My schedule's fluctuating a lot these days so pick some time and I'll see if I can go. (Shenmu in game)

darlyn

I just ordered both the expansions and I think it is exactly what I need to start playing again (starting next week I'll basically be done with school!)
BLM looks interesting.. but, considering I'm only in the mid-thirties with my highest level character I probably won't get to do that for a while. Still should be fun to explore new areas.
(I'm on Carbuncle by the way if anyone is still on there).

Well my friend and i are both starting it up again so can i get to invites to the fairy server so i don't have to keep recreating the character to see what server i'll be shoved on

Oh god, I'm actually considering returning, now that I've found that my WoW account will expire in a couple weeks.

Few questions:
1) I can't recover my old character, right? They only do that for special promotions or something.

2) Is Stars of Destiny still around/active? If so, can I get a Fairy worldpass code PM'ed to me please?

3) How ****ed up is the economy, as compared to two years ago (approx. when I quit)?

Shouta

Mister Zimbu said:
Oh god, I'm actually considering returning, now that I've found that my WoW account will expire in a couple weeks.

Few questions:
1) I can't recover my old character, right? They only do that for special promotions or something.

2) Is Stars of Destiny still around/active? If so, can I get a Fairy worldpass code PM'ed to me please?

3) How ****ed up is the economy, as compared to two years ago (approx. when I quit)?

You still might be able to retrieve your old char. SoD is still around and Econ went borked for awhile but came back down. It's reasonable now but I think we're still on the high end of server econs.

Shouta said:
You still might be able to retrieve your old char. SoD is still around and Econ went borked for awhile but came back down. It's reasonable now but I think we're still on the high end of server econs.

Hmm... my old content ID wasn't there, and I went to register a new one, and it asked for my Registration Code. I remember hearing way back when that old registration codes were invalidated when people cancelled accounts if they did so incorrectly.

Is this standard procedure to ask for a Reg. Code again if you're restarting? I'm not buying the game again if I have to.

Edit: Reading over the content ID section, it reads like you need to enter the code each time regardless, so I think I'm in the clear there, as iirc the codes are tied to my POL account which was never deleted. Still, there's the matter of finding where I put the code (and hoping I didn't throw it out).

Shouta

Mister Zimbu said:
Hmm... my old content ID wasn't there, and I went to register a new one, and it asked for my Registration Code. I remember hearing way back when that old registration codes were invalidated when people cancelled accounts if they did so incorrectly.

Is this standard procedure to ask for a Reg. Code again if you're restarting? I'm not buying the game again if I have to.

You still have your reg codes with the FFXI game? That should be able to get you your POL ID from customer service. You can try reviving your character that way possibly.

Top Bottom