• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I saw that clock in Akihabara. I was tempted to get it, but I have neither the yen nor the luggage space...or at least that was my excuse at the time.

Just a few more days.....Sunday......

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Damned whore and a half...

In the middle of Brown Belt quest. SE are fucking bastards. I got Molbolger with ease. So I'm off to camp Deadly Dodo...took 5 hours to spawn him, no drop. Got him this morning, no drop.

So I camped nue...0/4 vs. that fucking Tiger on drops.

Goddamn Ridiculous...

Kintaro

Ploid 3.0 said:
Get Hogashi to help you. His TH2 should help. Throw in Ror for wide scan too.

I will next time I get a bur up my ass to camp them. I said screw it and bought the belt for the time being.

With that said, my lvl 40 upgrades are officially COMPLETE!

Impact Knuckles
Mrc. Capt. Headgear
Spike Necklace
Beetle Earrings +1s
Jujitsu Gi
Ochiudo's Kote
Sniper Rings x2
Nomad's Mantle
Brown Belt
Jujitsu Sitabaki
Fuma Kyahan

MUHAHAHA! Yes! I worked hard, and I got em! =)

Next stop: Cross Counters!

Ploid 3.0

I saw that gear on you in Batillia Downs. Ochiudo's Kote! I gotta get that for my nin some day. I'll have to hunt a load of NM's for that. With that gear, you're a gift to whoever invites you.

-------------
.:FAIRY:.
Ploid: 51THF/28NIN/15WAR

My gear is:
Weapon- Corsair's Knife, Bone Knife +1, Flame Blade, Murader's Knife (change up based on mob)
Ranged- Long boomerang, (crossbow), (Highest lvl bow that I could get +1, starts with "K").
Body- Brigdane armor (sp)
Ear- Drone earrings x2
Ring- Balance rings x2, Carpace ring
Head- Emperor's Hairpin
Back- Nomad mantle
Waiste- Royal Knight's Belt
Feet- Leaping Boots

I'm ready to lvl up and get my AF gearz now.

Kintaro

Ploid 3.0 said:
I saw that gear on you in Batillia Downs. Ochiudo's Kote! I gotta get that for my nin some day. I'll have to hunt a load of NM's for that. With that gear, you're a gift to whoever invites you.

Speaking of invite, I finally got one tonight. Unconventional to say the least. =D

RDM, BLM, WHM, BRD, SMN, and MNK (me!)

Fun eh? Considering I was tanking all day today, this didn't bother me too much. You know what? It worked. It really did. It wasn't IDEAL, but it was fun! The BRD was kickass, the WHM was nice, and everyone did great. I got my haste and BRD buffs, and kicked too much ass.

After 1-2 hours, the RDM and WHM left, and we got a THF and PLD, and continued to kick ass. I hit 41, and had too much fun with Raging Fists. =D Picked up Mythril Claws +1 which I think I like.

In conclusion, while I LFG all damn day, it was made worth it. 2.4k till 42. =)

Ploid 3.0

Ha, congratz on the lvl and the party. It's not a cookie cutter party setup (without a PLD, WAR, or NIN tank) but it seem as though you were good enough of a tank with /war. With dmg dealers being you (a MNK on haste) and the BLM nuker, with RDM chiping in when he's not buffing or casting anything, it seem more than balanced.

Kintaro

Ploid 3.0 said:
Ha, congratz on the lvl and the party. It's not a cookie cutter party setup (without a PLD, WAR, or NIN tank) but it seem as though you were good enough of a tank with /war. With dmg dealers being you (a MNK on haste) and the BLM nuker, with RDM chiping in when he's not buffing or casting anything, it seem more than balanced.

Here's what happened, and why it worked. I kept hate rather easily because a) I'm starting to hit quickly and hard b) spamming boost (which causes little bits of hate), and c) a VERY smart BLM. She spaced out nuked very very well. The RDM debuffed, and meleed, adding to to help. The SMN also buffed with Aerial Armor, as well as tiny bits of DOT with his melee and avatar melee (he was an Elvaan SMN. First time I've ever seen one...ans boy is their summon animation GAY). The BRD spammed Ballad easily since most of them could melee beetles (no mean AOE), and used Etudes alot. When I went to pull, she would give me certain songs like the accu and def song. The WHM would Haste, and could easily concentrate the cures on myself.

My favorite part of the party? THe BRD cast Soul Voice, and hit me up with Haste and Attack song. I had 500 atk+ and looked like I was on 100 fists! LOL It owned.

When I was moved to the proper DD spot, I was able to really cut loose with Zerk, and the equipment (Snipers). Excellent accuracy, and dmg. I was very pleased, and happy I took the time to farm and do what I did.

Just encouraging, and helps me concentrate on getting the best I can for my MNK.

Kintaro

UH OH! Time to get the jump on ya! More COP news!

Chains of Promathia Homepage

We're got pics of some new mobs!

The Moblins look tight!...and BIG!

Check out the Corse!

Buffalo! <---I see many new cooking and crafting recipes based off these things. If you scroll down, you'll see the scary Antlion. Very creepy and nice design.

Damn the PS2! It;s so holding this game back...

Shouta

OOOOOOOH, those new mobbies look mean tight especially the Antlion (OMG THIS ONE ROXXORS) Corse, Moblins, Bugbears, and Buffalos.

Xaerus

ShadowRed said:
So any word on any new jobs or a new city, not towns, but cities ie. Bastok, San, Windhurst?

There will be no new jobs or new cities, unless you mean ruined cities.

*edit*

Get your Yukata's now, in the FFXI event Summerfest! :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, hows everyone enjoying the summerfest events?

Love the new fireworks, and the mission is fun.

Heard the goldfish stuff will be opened up next week, so for now you can just get your Yukata's

DrForester said:
So, hows everyone enjoying the summerfest events?

Love the new fireworks, and the mission is fun.

Heard the goldfish stuff will be opened up next week, so for now you can just get your Yukata's

I still have yet to do the summerfest mission. I hope the mission will be up for another couple days.

acklame

hey guys, are there any deals going on right now for FFXI pc? I'm about to get it but I don't feel like paying 50 bucks for it.

Shouta

Dunno, might want to check Amazon.com or a few other online retailers.

On that note, I`m going home tommorrow rawr! FFXI FOR ME RAWR!

Ploid 3.0

I just put the HDD in another PS2 and I can't get FFXI to load at all. Has anyone ever changed PS2's in which they play their FFXI on? I couldn't play SOCOM online either. For that I would have to do the network settings over again, but with FFXI I could get it to load without even being hooked up to a network (just limited to the front part of the viewer, not the area with the background). Would I have to reinstall the viewer or just do something minor? I let someone borrow my other PS2 >_<

Shouta

I saw the Yukatas on some other forums. Goodness, talk about lazy modeling. They could`ve actually made them look like real Yukata or something.

Sumidor

About the HDD thing, you'll have to reformat it. But then, if you wanna put it back in your original PS2, you'll have to reformat it again.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Shouta said:
I saw the Yukatas on some other forums. Goodness, talk about lazy modeling. They could`ve actually made them look like real Yukata or something.

Yeah, when I first saw them I thought everyone was wearing over-sized fishing gear. :p

Kweh

Got my N. Abjuration Legs last night off of Suzaku. Just need the Cursed Slacks and I will have my Zenith Pants!

Lol, just looked in the AH and the Cursed Slacks price history is empty XD

Ploid 3.0

Sumidor said:
About the HDD thing, you'll have to reformat it. But then, if you wanna put it back in your original PS2, you'll have to reformat it again.

Thanks for the help. Formating it is not an option. Too many game saves on that puppy. Oh well.

Xaerus

Ploid 3.0 said:
Thanks for the help. Formating it is not an option. Too many game saves on that puppy. Oh well.

Thought there was a way to back that stuff up? Games that don't support memory cards, suck.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I just started this game.

I'm a lvl 11 warrior, and i'm struggling to get experience and gil.

Vomp Hill is too damn easy, but the next hardest thing I've done is this mine with a bunch of Quadav or whatevers in that very north part of North Gustaburg. I get schooled quick, but I lvl up 2 sword lvls and shield/parry while I die. Much more than I'd get 2 hours anywhere else.

So where do I go to lvl at my experience?

Where do I get chocobos? I'm so sick of running for hours.

I'm in that hume nation bastilok or whatever right now. So many names to learn.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
teh_pwn said:
I just started this game.

I'm a lvl 11 warrior, and i'm struggling to get experience and gil.

Vomp Hill is too damn easy, but the next hardest thing I've done is this mine with a bunch of Quadav or whatevers in that very north part of North Gustaburg. I get schooled quick, but I lvl up 2 sword lvls and shield/parry while I die. Much more than I'd get 2 hours anywhere else.

So where do I go to lvl at my experience?

Where do I get chocobos? I'm so sick of running for hours.

I'm in that hume nation bastilok or whatever right now. So many names to learn.

go to valkrum dunes and start partying for experience.

As for Chocobo, you get licence in Jeuno, but you can't till you're level 20

Zaptruder

Banned
Kweh said:
Got my N. Abjuration Legs last night off of Suzaku. Just need the Cursed Slacks and I will have my Zenith Pants!

Lol, just looked in the AH and the Cursed Slacks price history is empty XD

My LS has been camping Adamantoise for about a weeks now... consistently camping and killing it...

we've seen aspid pop twice; once a JP LS got the pull from us, and held it for 3 hours while they waited for their buddies to show up.

the second time, aspid popped right as the timer began ticking (these guys pop on a 21-24 hour basis); and our members were enroute to the area... but a thai LS having a couple ninjas and healers there grabbed it before us (we had a few members waiting there as well) and held it as their reinforcements rushed in.

They didn't have enough blms for most of the battle, and it took them 1.5 hours to kill it, with things looking very iffy around the 70-50% mark... it just kept regenning and they just couldn't deal enough damage.

My LS was pretty pissed about losing aspid like that... but my PT (4 of us before getting into alliance) managed to hit amemet along the way. (not the cause of aspid loss, incase you were wondering).

Zaptruder

Banned
Shouta said:

Yes.. FFXI modellers are extremely lazy as far as making completely new content for the patches are concerned... hopefully they're all tied up on the expansion... adding new content to the old areas as well as new areas though.

That said, they're technical limitations to the FFXI engine that makes the modelling of something like a yukata (or any long flowy item) quite difficult.

Hell, they even have to give most of the races collars because they can't hide the neck seam properly... so they've done a good job on what they've got.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay, so i started playing the PC version. I played the PS2 version for a while about a year ago, but given my GF and a good friend out here are playing this to death STILL i've caved in and restarted.

Back in Ragnorok as a level 5 n00b. Please laugh at me if i pass yee by.

Kintaro

Zaptruder said:
My LS was pretty pissed about losing aspid like that... but my PT (4 of us before getting into alliance) managed to hit amemet along the way. (not the cause of aspid loss, incase you were wondering).

What's the price for Amemit Mantle on your server. On our server, unless you can craft a Mantle+1, it isn't worth it to even bother with the damn lizard (unless the skin itself is used in other recipes). Amemit Mantle is only 20k...man I remember paying 120k too...oh well.

Zaptruder

Banned
I remember selling skins for 350k per... now they've fallen to 190k and the normal mantles are selling for 80-90k. The +1 version goes for 500-800k; used to be at 1.5 million not too long ago.

Meanwhile, the prices on peacock charm have gone through the roof... 8 mil...

RuGalz

Finally was able to put together a pickup group for some Zilart Missions yesterday after many months of wait and got access to Tu'Lia. :) Neat little place. Also it's supposed to be a good xp alternative area for around lv 70 and also drops a lot of RDM testimony (go figure... put it some where that not many people have access to.) Here are some none-spoiler pictures of the place. :p

Tulia01.jpg

Tulia02.jpg

Tulia03.jpg

teh_pwn

Where do I get an airship pass?

Those bastard receptionists just say "this is where people get on the ship, dur dur dur."

And the gatekeeper says I need an airship pass. Gamefaqs has nothing on it. Grr....

Belfast

Well.....you can pay 500,000 gil for one or you can start on the long, perilous road of doing missions until they provide you with one (this will take a lot of time and effort). FFXI makes everything a complete BITCH to work for, but its usually worth it in the end.

Xaerus

teh_pwn said:
Where do I get an airship pass?

Those bastard receptionists just say "this is where people get on the ship, dur dur dur."

And the gatekeeper says I need an airship pass. Gamefaqs has nothing on it. Grr....

Get to rank 5 by doing missions. Unless you want to buy it for that absurd amount of money. For the Kazham Airship, you can either pay or hand in chest keys from Yughott Grotto, Palborough Mines and Giddeus.

On a side note, reinstalling everything on your computer after formatting sucks, especially the updating part of FFXI.

Congrats Shen, that place looks nice.

teh_pwn

Well, I've gotten strong enough to do the 2nd part of palborough mines, so I'm leveling there for now.

Level 12, saving up for a Bee Spatha Sword + 1 to make things go faster. All of this running is lame. And so is the shop hours in town. What's the point of that? Realism? Yeah, when I close a shop, I stand at my station and stare at customers for 9 hours while they wait for me to open. Whatever...

Belfast

Well, at least I've finally made some progress at getting back into FFXI. Upped 2 levels to 35 tonight and that's more than I've done in over 2 months. I've also been doing some farming the last couple days, but it looks like I'm going to have to do much, much more. :(

Xaerus

You're going to need to be around level 30 to do the Kazham Airship Keys, and probably around 40-45 for the rank 5 mission.

Sumidor

Most people get the kazham airship pass keys, when doing rank 3. Since you have to run through those areas anyways. Also most people (well on Phoenix anyways) go to Kazham at 24-25.

Well I got back into this game a few days ago thanks to a friend, and boy have I MISSED this game. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the prices for all the elemental staves have dropped significantly. So lately I've been mining to get some money while I wait on my set PT to get ready and raising alchemy.

My gosh how I've missed this game so much...

Xaerus

Sumidor said:
Most people get the kazham airship pass keys, when doing rank 3. Since you have to run through those areas anyways. Also most people (well on Phoenix anyways) go to Kazham at 24-25.

Yes, I meant solo though.

teh_pwn

This game is getting annoying.

It took me all my playtime on Saturday to get up 1 lvl. I mean wtf? How is that fun?

I'm Warrior lvl 14 right now, and It's going to take a long ass time to get to lvl 18, which I believe is when you can have subjobs and things get easier.

I playing playing in Palborough mines. Solo most of the time. Every time I team up, I end up dieing fighting Greater Quadavs and stuff.

I'm beginning to thing this game is just f*cking incredibly slow with lvling so you play longer and pay more monthly fees. Screw that. If things don't change, I'm canceling my account.

Belfast

teh_pwn said:
This game is getting annoying.

It took me all my playtime on Saturday to get up 1 lvl. I mean wtf? How is that fun?

I'm Warrior lvl 14 right now, and It's going to take a long ass time to get to lvl 18, which I believe is when you can have subjobs and things get easier.

I playing playing in Palborough mines. Solo most of the time. Every time I team up, I end up dieing fighting Greater Quadavs and stuff.

I'm beginning to thing this game is just f*cking incredibly slow with lvling so you play longer and pay more monthly fees. Screw that. If things don't change, I'm canceling my account.

Welcome to MMORPGs. They're supposed to take a long time. :p Yes, this is a ploy to keep you playing longer and to steal your money, but at the same time that means there's an assload of content to keep you busy for months or even years. What other genre does that? Seems like you don't understand MMORPG mechanics very well. Its slow, and no, it doesn't get "easier." Your options certainly DO expand the higher in level you get, but the effort you need to expend to reach your goals increases, as well.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
teh_pwn said:

At 14 you really should be in Valkurm partying for exp, soloing at that level isn't very reccomended. You'll probably hate Valkurm at first, but you'll be pretty sure to get an invite and the exp should be good with snippers around your level.

Top Bottom