• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT6| The Conversation is to Die for (Signups are now OPEN)

roytheone

Maybe I should read the infamous Volcano Island. Was it held on Outer GAFia?

Here is the general jist of my pm conversations with splinter:

okay-i-cant-deal-with-this-right-n.jpg

Followed by:

ohWpacy.png

Ty4on

Not that I'm aware of. (Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

I think this is what I was thinking of:
So, this is going to be !!FUN!! for you all Urists. Splinter, I've looked at your game and to fit things into the time constraint of starting season 5 sign-ups at Feb 7th, you are going to need to run it at 2/1 day/night phase lengths. I know that's a toughie, but there's not much of a way around it.

Sorian

Banned
Let me give you all some insight into the Volcano Island Modchat.

Retro: You should tweak this mechanic.
Ouro: I'm not sure this role is a great idea.
Splinter: The game thread is up and I'm launching.
Ouro: ...
Retro: Well, at least this should be fun to watch.
(Later)
Palmer: Hey guys, I have a funny idea.

Wasn't Palmer playing? What is this, I call cheats!

roytheone

I think this is what I was thinking of:

Uuuuugh. Those short day and night cycles combined with having to keep up with two threads, conveying messages between then AND also trying to hunt for scum ON TWO FRONTS nearly gave me a mental breakdown :(

Sorian

Banned
Uuuuugh. Those short day and night cycles combined with having to keep up with two threads, conveying messages between then AND also trying to hunt for scum ON TWO FRONTS nearly gave me a mental breakdown :(

Should have just resigned yourself to messenger buy and stopped trying to scum hunt :p

roytheone

Should have just resigned yourself to messenger buy and stopped trying to scum hunt :p

I kinda did that :) My reads and votes sucked ass and had like 0 effort behind them. I even got some suspicion because of that. But I simply didn't had the time to also scum hunt.

*Splinter

Crab was only really checking the schedule, we never spoke about the game itself.

I'd've done the opposite personally. Provide only the absolutely necessary info and laughed at anyone expecting me to transcribe their every thought and question for them.

Roy did well though, put in the work AND fucked Palmer, can't fault him for that.

roytheone

Crab was only really checking the schedule, we never spoke about the game itself.

I'd've done the opposite personally. Provide only the absolutely necessary info and laughed at anyone expecting me to transcribe their every thought and question for them.

Roy did well though, put in the work AND fucked Palmer, can't fault him for that.

I still love your remarks in the spectator thread :

Fuck roy, he plays terribly!

Damn, roy plays very well!

Ugh, roy plays horribly!

Man, roy is playing so good!.

And that flip-flopping went on for like 10 pages. :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's Roy Theone and nothing you can say will change my mind.

So, uh, speaking of GOAT scum...
If you're just interested, click 1st set of spoilers first

This is about the Harry Potter spoilers for the Cursed Child play
We're gonna need another game now, aren't we....

Sawneeks

Banned
So, uh, speaking of GOAT scum...
If you're just interested, click 1st set of spoilers first

This is about the Harry Potter spoilers for the Cursed Child play
We're gonna need another game now, aren't we....

it will be the first Mafia game to ever have a time travel mechanic. Why play a game now when you can play it in the past!

Camjo-Z

After playing unhealthy amounts of Killer Instinct and Rare Replay, I am currently devising a Rareware-themed mafia full of ridiculous and obscure mechanics. Once I get a board for it on OG, would anyone care to look over it and discuss what they think about the balance and such?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Reverse time mafia. Game starts in LyLo, but one plucky town member reverses the flow of time using the MacGuffin. Now the town has to bring back their fallen comrades one by one, but if they bring back all the Mafia as well then history repeats itself and their fate is sealed.

Reverse time mafia. Game starts in LyLo, but one plucky town member reverses the flow of time using the MacGuffin. Now the town has to bring back their fallen comrades one by one, but if they bring back all the Mafia as well then history repeats itself and their fate is sealed.

I would spectate the heck out of that.

Sawneeks

Banned
After playing unhealthy amounts of Killer Instinct and Rare Replay, I am currently devising a Rareware-themed mafia full of ridiculous and obscure mechanics. Once I get a board for it on OG, would anyone care to look over it and discuss what they think about the balance and such?

Banjo-Kazooie or bust!

It's like a reverse Volcano Island.

The Fun Never Ends™

*Splinter

🤔

Now that all the day 1s are over, I wanted to bring up an idea. How do the rest of you guys feel about putting the preference for night starts or shortened day 1s when everyone initially signs up. Seems like the day 1 hatred was pretty common across games.

SalvaPot

It can work if the game start, but instead of voting people to lynch, you vote people to revive. Days are to revive, Nights play as normal, and of course you can't revive the same player twice, unless specified.

The conditions to win the game are based on this mechanic. For example, Mafia could win if they revive all their mafia players (Because they would have to convince town to revive specific players). Town wins if they revive specific roles.

It can work if the game start, but instead of voting people to lynch, you vote people to revive. Days are to revive, Nights play as normal, and of course you can't revive the same player twice, unless specified.

The conditions to win the game are based on this mechanic. For example, Mafia could win if they revive all their mafia players (Because they would have to convince town to revive specific players). Town wins if they revive specific roles.

have to revive one of two kings and keep them alive. There is a 3rd scum King.

if you are killed, you can't be revived, including OG players, town has to get through x number of days with an alive town King. scum wins if either there are no alive town kings or their scum King is alive

game starts with say 5 or 6 town, 2 scum.

Actually, I have other ideas, can I use this concept for a mini game this mid season

Ty4on

Now that all the day 1s are over, I wanted to bring up an idea. How do the rest of you guys feel about putting the preference for night starts or shortened day 1s when everyone initially signs up. Seems like the day 1 hatred was pretty common across games.

I like D1. The complete lack of intel forces you to make cold reads because that's all you can do.
I prefer discussing these kinds of things when no games are running, but I think the issue is the meta and not D1 itself.

*Splinter

Remove D1 and we'll just start hating D2. Unless you're hoping for the cop to get a red check off of RNG.

The start of the game is just difficult, there's no hiding that.

Including it in the sign up process is not a bad idea, although I suspect people will still choose games by flavour rather than day/night start

Remove D1 and we'll just start hating D2. Unless you're hoping for the cop to get a red check off of RNG.

The start of the game is just difficult, there's no hiding that.

Including it in the sign up process is not a bad idea, although I suspect people will still choose games by flavour rather than day/night start

Night starts/shortened day 1 are both things. Well the 2nd has actually only been brought up, but werewolf 1 had a night start

Top Bottom