• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT6| The Conversation is to Die for (Signups are now OPEN)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't like the idea of some player dying before they get a chance to play. I just don't.

Maybe a simulated night 1 where a fake-player is killed instead and their role revealed at random? Only scum would get their roles first, then they fire off the N1 kill and bam, some poor town takes it (but they don't exist) and the rest of the roles are sent via PM. In the end, though, barring a lucky shot the D1 will be just as meandering as every other D1. The problem is that D2s are built on D1s. It's not the kills that makes D2 interesting, although sometimes it is, but the initial impressions and the votes and the lynch of D1. Shortened is better. We've all seen the "5 hour panic" where activity suddenly goes into overdrive. A shortened D1 just brings that period sooner, while still giving people a chance to get settled in.

Palmer_v1

I don't like the idea of some player dying before they get a chance to play. I just don't.

Maybe a simulated night 1 where a fake-player is killed instead and their role revealed at random? Only scum would get their roles first, then they fire off the N1 kill and bam, some poor town takes it (but they don't exist) and the rest of the roles are sent via PM. In the end, though, barring a lucky shot the D1 will be just as meandering as every other D1. The problem is that D2s are built on D1s. It's not the kills that makes D2 interesting, although sometimes it is, but the initial impressions and the votes and the lynch of D1. Shortened is better. We've all seen the "5 hour panic" where activity suddenly goes into overdrive. A shortened D1 just brings that period sooner, while still giving people a chance to get settled in.

There is an option that covers that. basically all non-killing roles get 1 night to do stuff.

Haly

There is an option that covers that. basically all non-killing roles get 1 night to do stuff.

That marginalizes vanilla player. It would make sense for a game like Diplomacy, but for Mafia, frequently more than 50% of the players won't have power roles, and it's not like "using" power roles is particularly interesting in and of itself. It's the lies and the hunt for lies that's the whole appeal, yeah?

Enker

Well, if I'm going to finally get offed, honored for someone to have considered it tactical enough for N1.

Spec thread access please =)

Palmer_v1

That marginalizes vanilla player. It would make sense for a game like Diplomacy, but for Mafia, frequently more than 50% of the players won't have power roles, and it's not like "using" power roles is particularly interesting in and of itself. It's the lies and the hunt for lies that's the whole appeal, yeah?

Mafia is never fair to all players. The idea behind this is that SOME people will have information to use on D1, so not everyone is blindly lynching.

Haly

Mafia is never fair to all players. The idea behind this is that SOME people will have information to use on D1, so not everyone is blindly lynching.

I misread, for some reason I thought "non-killing" role didn't cover faction kills. This makes more sense now.

So, uh, speaking of GOAT scum...
If you're just interested, click 1st set of spoilers first

This is about the Harry Potter spoilers for the Cursed Child play
We're gonna need another game now, aren't we....

3146Ci3.gif

Absolutely shorten Day 1, or go with a Night start.

Mind you, I'm talking about putting it as a preference in the sign up thread. I'm sorta cool with longer days, because there are days I don't feel like mafia. Sometimes, I wish the mid season games had 5 day long day phases, because throughout that day 1 I was just so happy day phases could be that long

I say maybe gamemakers leave an unassigned role, and give scum 48 hours for night 1. Given the number of subs we get, especially early on, if a no kill happens, they will be fine. To prevent having to catch up, night start games start first

By unassigned, I don't mean just an ordinary role, I mean randomize it with a "Player 1"

RetroMG

Folks, at this point, we have a LOT of games submitted for Season 6.5. If you were considering submitting a game for 6.5, and you haven't already... maybe consider waiting for Season 7.

I'll be posting a list of the potential 6.5 games later on.

Palmer_v1

Mind you, I'm talking about putting it as a preference in the sign up thread. I'm sorta cool with longer days, because there are days I don't feel like mafia. Sometimes, I wish the mid season games had 5 day long day phases, because throughout that day 1 I was just so happy day phases could be that long

It's no different than when we shorten day/night phases towards the end of a game.

It's no different than when we shorten day/night phases towards the end of a game.

No

The reason why you do that is that you don't have as many posts to keep track of. And even if we have a bunch of faces, there's less faces to keep track of. It's easy to mix people up early in the game. And even for highly populated endgames, the discussion narrows down to a lower number of people

Day 1 is the complete opposite of that lol

Folks, at this point, we have a LOT of games submitted for Season 6.5. If you were considering submitting a game for 6.5, and you haven't already... maybe consider waiting for Season 7.

I'll be posting a list of the potential 6.5 games later on.

very well

Season 7.5

Number of player slots for the game: 25
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: no one
Theme: BattleTech
Complexity Rating (Crab Scale): 9.9/10

Info:
Gddp6Sl.gif

MAFIA 'N THE 31st CENTURY
HOSTIN' SOMETHIN' MEAN WITH IT
HOST IT BETTER THAN ANYBODY Y'EVER SEEN HOST IT
BEAMS AND THE LASERS
GOT A NICE GIMMICK
I'M SHEDDIN' EVERY 'MECHA PILOT WITH A HEAT LIMIT​

Palmer_v1

very well

Season 7.5

People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: no one

Info:
Gddp6Sl.gif

BEAMS AND THE LASERS
GOT A NICE GIMMICK

Nova Mech for Clan Ghost Bear, reporting... whoops, I hit alpha strike on mistake and now I'm shutting down. GG.

Hold on, let me drop a few medium lasers and throw an ER PPC into an arm... nope still overheating. Fuck this mech. I'm going Elemental instead. Come at me, bro! pew pew

Sophia

very well

Season 7.5

Info:
Gddp6Sl.gif

BEAMS AND THE LASERS
GOT A NICE GIMMICK

If you're being serious.... SIGN ME UP. O_O;

gryvan

very well

Season 7.5

Info:
Gddp6Sl.gif

BEAMS AND THE LASERS
GOT A NICE GIMMICK

Volcano island 2.0??

I will modify my Frog Fractions game template and submit it for Season 7 if Blargonaut does his game for 7.5. We'll call it a back-to-back insanity special.

Small (not actual) poll: I have been mulling a Rick and Motry themed game, and have three general ideas. I am trying to figure out which would garner or seem more interesting. Naturally this would be for season 7 or 7.5

1. Duo based game ala Love Boat with masons instead of lovers. Basically, players would be pairs of Ricks and Mortys.

2. Cosplay game based on S02E04 (Total Rickall).

3. Non-cosplay theme game more akin to MattyG's Star Wars Mafia game.

Kawl_USC

Small (not actual) poll: I have been mulling a Rick and Motry themed game, and have three general ideas. I am trying to figure out which would garner or seem more interesting. Naturally this would be for season 7 or 7.5

1. Duo based game ala Love Boat with masons instead of lovers. Basically, players would be pairs of Ricks and Mortys.

all of those sounds dope.

probably prefer more 1 or 2 to make use of the theme.

all of those sounds dope.

probably prefer more 1 or 2 to make use of the theme.
If it helps, option 3 would be based on S01E10 (Close Encounters of the Rick Kind I believe it's called). Basically a bunch of noncanon Ricks in front of the Council of Ricks.

TWEWY will be a pairs game too, whenever we get that finished, so probably wouldn't want two of those to run at the same time.

Although no idea when that will be ready to run.

Sorian

Banned
very well

Season 7.5

Info:
Gddp6Sl.gif

BEAMS AND THE LASERS
GOT A NICE GIMMICK

Excuse me sir, I'd like to request one spot please. I cash in the blood oath we share for this one spot.

That reminds me, have we had a UC Gundam Mafia?

I would like a spot if it happens. Just letting you know now.

One and two are both really good, three is also good. You could probably work out a way to combine some of the stuff from all three. Two is my favorite though.

roytheone

This would work, but I think the loss of a kill on one night while other powers still can be used will most likely hurt scum more then town, so the balancing should counter that by slightly powering up scum or depowering town.

Also, I always liked the idea of the night 1 kills when using a night start are delayed kills. That would give even the people targeted still time to actually play.

This would work, but I think the loss of a kill on one night while other powers still can be used will most likely hurt scum more then town, so the balancing should counter that by slightly powering up scum or depowering town.

Also, I always liked the idea of the night 1 kills when using a night start are delayed kills. That would give even the people targeted still time to actually play.

Double kill N1?

SkyOdin

Zelda Mafia, comes out 2017.

I actually had an idea for a Zelda mafia game, among other ideas, but I am not sure that someone whose sum total Mafia experience that consists of dying on Day 1 twice and losing a game for town in a minigame is really qualified to design a Mafia game.

Sorian

Banned
I actually had an idea for a Zelda mafia game, among other ideas, but I am not sure that someone whose sum total Mafia experience that consists of dying on Day 1 twice and losing a game for town in a minigame is really qualified to design a Mafia game.

Correction!

Was not a minigame at all, you made it to the end in a full fledged game of mafia. :D

I promise you we have much crazier ideas floating around in the background, your idea is probably completely workable and you should work on it if you want to.

Top Bottom