• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT6| The Conversation is to Die for (Signups are now OPEN)

Ynnek7

Heya! Just realized my account was verified to the point of being able to post. Could I have access to the spectator thread?

Wait, did I say BattleTech Mafia earlier?

*chuckle*

▶

Number of player slots for the game: 19
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: no one (NOTE: I'd prefer to keep it this way, as I want to do a blind trial-by-fire of any new custom roles that I, *ahem*, might've included, while offering the chance to sign-up to the most amount of people)
Theme: Diablo
Complexity Rating (Crab Scale): ??/10 (redacted for anti-meta; you'll find out after the game ends, kind of like how you only get the Excitement, Intensity and Nausea results AFTER you test-run a rollercoaster)​

COMING SOON

But wait, there's more!

ADVERTISEMENT

Are you tired of the same old Roles you've seen dozens upon dozens of times now?
Are you tired of the same old Day/Night timer, waiting hours upon hours for OTHER PEOPLE?
Are you tired of feeling obligated to the same old cross-Role interactions time and time again? Ugh!

DaX4TRG.gif

There has to be a better play!

Well, you're in luck, GAFia-ers!

Introducing Blargonaut's GAFia Ghibli Workshop, a Mafia-overhauling expansion pack secretly not-so-secretly in the making since GAFia S2, to blow a new wind through our Werewolf/Mafia community~! It may be a mod, but it's not a total conversion! With content meant for both beginner and veteran Mafia players alike, no one will (hopefully) feel left out or confused!

Starting with my upcoming Diablo-themed game (release date: TBA), expect a handful of custom games from yours truly, EACH WITH:

• a new Day/Night start-end mechanic,
    [*]a smaller, more intimate round (19 players max.),
    [*]and what you've all been waiting for, new custom Roles & Role-modifiers! Here's a little sneak peek (working titles):
    • Fashionista
    • Trapper
    • Disarmer
    • Grenadier
    • Revelator
    • Mapmaker
    • Explorer
    • Sponsor
    • Barista
    • Boxer
    • Gumshoe
    • Racer
    • Musical Chair
    • & more...

In light of our recent replacement doldrums due to all reasons myriad and understandable, I think it best that I shelve the BattleTech game for the near future, as it's quite a Big Team-style event that might not befit the current sitch. :(

How depressing, I know, I know. But don't worry, luv cavalry etc., the content in this GG project of mine will revitalize frayed nerves, and soothe your joint pains most efficaciously! Expect to see the first implementation(s) of the contents of the GG expansion pack within my Diablo game, coming soon-ish.

Also, after each of my games ends, as a reward for seeing each to its completion I will release a descriptive "booster pack" of my new custom Roles (including the one(s) that were in the ended game), for any and all prospective game mods to possibly include into their own games in the future, if they find any likeable/not horrendously game-breaking.

And yes, I'm actually going to host a game, finally.

For real this time.

Really.

...hmm?

What's that?

"What about game balance," you say?

Well, I assure you that I am a selfless and merciful creator, and that I understand fully the nuance and subtleties of Power Role implementation, and the importance of moderation, let me tell you!

There will be nothing to fear, I promise wholesome fun

*snip*

I'd like to play [what will likely be the greatest game of Mafia ever conceived], but it all depends on how they're handling mid season games.

ah, so glad you brought that up, Sophia

Retro, I must inform you that it is my desire to submit Diablo [Mafia] to be ran as a mainline Season 7 game, not an x.5 toy ¬_¬

I want in on the big leagues, Retro, right away, this name and this game's gonna draw in new recruits like the plague, I know that you know that you know that I got what you know we need, k

*ahem* sry Retro need your mic for a sec

ATTENTION

Everyone, I lust to run Diablo [Mafia] as a mainline Season 7 game, not as an x.5.

Ladies & gentlemen, rest assured this will be a [Mafia] experience. Like when food trucks find real parking, this will be the #hashtag pop-up event to not be at, but to BE.

Diablo [Mafia].

GAFia S7.

It's happening.

Now that I thankfully possess a mainline S7 spot for my Diablo game, I hope you all understand that having displayed such a blatant and utter disregard for the Outer GAFia game-runners' waiting queue, only I am allowed to do such things. Listen to RetroMG, kids.

I appreciate all of you, you may all now go back to deciding whose games will accompany me and my hard-earned Prime Evil real estate in Season 7.

Sophia

ah, so glad you brought that up, Sophia

Retro, I must inform you that it is my desire to submit Diablo [Mafia] to be ran as a mainline Season 7 game, not an x.5 toy ¬_¬

¬-¬

You just HAD to run it as a main season game so I might not be able to play, huh? :p

¬-¬

You just HAD to run it as a main season game so I might not be able to play, huh? :p

:( I hope you'll be able to play regardless of other time commitments, because the elegant beauty of my altered start-end mechanic, is that it can even potentially cover for low-activity posters

...I think.

That's all I'll say about that

HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS

I'm re-reading the .txt file that is my Diablo [Mafia] design doc, and more and more I think I should just rename it Schadenfreude [Mafia]

HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS HUBRIS

RetroMG

Noted. We'll need to see a breakdown of the roles and mechanics. Also, Blarg, if you're serious about modding, it's time to come to Discord.

Request for a Three-Six Mafia based Mafia.

The very best way to make it happen is to build it yourself.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT6| A game of replacements

Why must you always make me cry?

Noted. We'll need to see a breakdown of the roles and mechanics. Also, Blarg, if you're serious about modding, it's time to come to Discord.

*sigh*

There's no escaping the system, is there

...very well, I'll be *ugh* joining some time soon to *bleh* put it up for ...academic analysis.

*grumble*

Sophia

*sigh*

There's no escaping the system, is there

The system is one of total control. Everything that comes out the system must go in the system. Nothing must be above or below the system. If it does not go through the system, then control is lost, mafia is doomed, and a tanner will actually win a GAFia game.

We cannot allow that to happen. Therefore, there is no escaping the system.

Wait, did I say BattleTech Mafia earlier?

*chuckle*

▶

Number of player slots for the game: 19
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: no one (NOTE: I'd prefer to keep it this way, as I want to do a blind trial-by-fire of any new custom roles that I, *ahem*, might've included, while offering the chance to sign-up to the most amount of people)
Theme: Diablo
Complexity Rating (Crab Scale): ??/10 (redacted for anti-meta; you'll find out after the game ends, kind of like how you only get the Excitement, Intensity and Nausea results AFTER you test-run a rollercoaster)​

COMING SOON

But wait, there's more!

ADVERTISEMENT

Are you tired of the same old Roles you've seen dozens upon dozens of times now?
Are you tired of the same old Day/Night timer, waiting hours upon hours for OTHER PEOPLE?
Are you tired of feeling obligated to the same old cross-Role interactions time and time again? Ugh!

DaX4TRG.gif

There has to be a better play!

Well, you're in luck, GAFia-ers!

Introducing Blargonaut's GAFia Ghibli Workshop, a Mafia-overhauling expansion pack secretly not-so-secretly in the making since GAFia S2, to blow a new wind through our Werewolf/Mafia community~! It may be a mod, but it's not a total conversion! With content meant for both beginner and veteran Mafia players alike, no one will (hopefully) feel left out or confused!

Starting with my upcoming Diablo-themed game (release date: TBA), expect a handful of custom games from yours truly, EACH WITH:

• a new Day/Night start-end mechanic,
    [*]a smaller, more intimate round (19 players max.),
    [*]and what you've all been waiting for, new custom Roles & Role-modifiers! Here's a little sneak peek (working titles):
    • Fashionista
    • Trapper
    • Disarmer
    • Grenadier
    • Revelator
    • Mapmaker
    • Explorer
    • Sponsor
    • Barista
    • Boxer
    • Gumshoe
    • Racer
    • Musical Chair
    • & more...

In light of our recent replacement doldrums due to all reasons myriad and understandable, I think it best that I shelve the BattleTech game for the near future, as it's quite a Big Team-style event that might not befit the current sitch. :(

How depressing, I know, I know. But don't worry, luv cavalry etc., the content in this GG project of mine will revitalize frayed nerves, and soothe your joint pains most efficaciously! Expect to see the first implementation(s) of the contents of the GG expansion pack within my Diablo game, coming soon-ish.

Also, after each of my games ends, as a reward for seeing each to its completion I will release a descriptive "booster pack" of my new custom Roles (including the one(s) that were in the ended game), for any and all prospective game mods to possibly include into their own games in the future, if they find any likeable/not horrendously game-breaking.

And yes, I'm actually going to host a game, finally.

For real this time.

Really.

...hmm?

What's that?

"What about game balance," you say?

Well, I assure you that I am a selfless and merciful creator, and that I understand fully the nuance and subtleties of Power Role implementation, and the importance of moderation, let me tell you!

There will be nothing to fear, I promise wholesome fun

COUNT. ME. IN.

Sorian

Banned
Blarg running a season 7 game? That makes me eligible. I must be in!

In other news, I'm running overwatch mafia for 6.5 and I'd like two people to look at balance and tell me that this game will be horrible but not too horrible. Shoot me a PM on here or discord!

In other news, I'm running overwatch mafia for 6.5 and I'd like two people to look at balance and tell me that this game will be horrible but not too horrible. Shoot me a PM on here or discord!

Ooooooooh, this would be fun too...

It should be left unbalanced like the actual game.

RetroMG

The review process is required for any main season game. Them's the rules. If you don't want your game reviewed, that's what mid-season is for.

Also, anyone who is serious about modding should come to Discord. It's not a requirement, but anyone who has run a game since season 4 will tell you that having access to a chat room with other game mods is INCREDIBLY helpful. We used Google Hangouts for S4 and the beginning of S5, then moved to Discord for modchat starting with 5.5.

Speaking of modding: I might have found a solution for my BattleStar Galactica design problem (RNG dependent mechanic. Fuck RNG dependent mechanics!). How crowded is S7 already? When is submission deadline? Whom can I bounce the basic concept off so they can tell me if this even has a chance as a main season game or if I should just straight aim at midseason.

RetroMG

Speaking of modding: I might have found a solution for my BattleStar Galactica design problem (RNG dependent mechanic. Fuck RNG dependent mechanics!). How crowded is S7 already? When is submission deadline? Whom can I bounce the basic concept off so they can tell me if this even has a chance as a main season game or if I should just straight aim at midseason.

In terms of actually submitting designs for review, nothing has been submitted for S7 yet to my knowledge. Off the top of my head, there are 3 or 4 games that I know are being worked on.

The overseers for S7 will be Cabot, Kawl, Terra, Scrafty, and Myself. They will be the ones who approve the S7 games. If you are looking for design advice, I personally recommend talking to Burbeting, Ourobolus, Palmer, Crab, Sorian, or Karkador. IMHO, they are the experts.

In terms of actually submitting designs for review, nothing has been submitted for S7 yet to my knowledge. Off the top of my head, there are 3 or 4 games that I know are being worked on.

The overseers for S7 will be Cabot, Kawl, Terra, Scrafty, and Myself. They will be the ones who approve the S7 games. If you are looking for design advice, I personally recommend talking to Burbeting, Ourobolus, Palmer, Crab, Sorian, or Karkador. IMHO, they are the experts.

ok, interesting. My last question was more about "what's the complexity cap for main season games and would my game shoot over it?"

cabot

ok, interesting. My last question was more about "what's the complexity cap for main season games and would my game shoot over it?"

You'll get my salty tears for running BSG during a season I can't play.

But otherwise I could help try and judge this for you.

Ourobolus

Banned
Mid-season games don't get reviewed? Hmm maybe I can rush MCU Mafia for 6.5.
They get "reviewed." Mods will look over them and offer opinions and balancing advice, but in general the complexity/weirdness is whatever you want. The main goal is making it as close to balanced as possible and if it is "fun."

RetroMG

That's a tough question. PM me here or on Discord and talk to me about what you're thinking. You can also throw it at Burb, Ouro, or Palmer if they're willing to remove themselves from possibly playing - they're good judges of what should or should not be allowed.

In terms of roles, I'll say again - No Tanners, Mediums, or Kings in the main season.
In terms of mechanics it's a much fuzzier line. Something like Volcano Island is not good for the main season. (Really, if anything messes with the dead players, you should leave it for mid.) RNG is fine to a small extent, but the more a game relies on RNG, the less suitable it is for the main season.

Again, PM me or one of the people I listed above if you have more questions.

They get "reviewed." Mods will look over them and offer opinions and balancing advice, but in general the complexity/weirdness is whatever you want. The main goal is making it as close to balanced as possible and if it is "fun."

And gamerunners are not obligated to take our advice for mid-season. Look at Volcano Island.

I could use some feedback on the roles for VtM, if anyone is willing.

Anyone is welcome to send designs to me for review. Because of my school and family life, I am not playing in any games for the forseeable future. I exist now purely to facilitate the games, so I am always safe to send designs to. I don't claim to be an expert on balancing, but I'm always available for a first look.

If anyone wants to review my MCU Mafia on Outer Gafia, feel free.

Top Bottom