• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OCTOBER Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

AkIRA_22

oblo said:
bc9_ninjasigmatwee.jpg

Boobaxis.

Fucking nice duds mate. That's Australian for shoes.

I know there's a lot of Resistance 2 hate..

But I played KZ2 first when I got my slim and now playing Resistance 2 I like it a LOT better. A LOT better. That's just me, but I didn't like the controls or the enemies or the weapons much. And the graphics are "better" but much more bland in KZ2.

Resistance 2 is definitely rushed but there's a quality game in there. Just a shame they didn't take about another 3-6 months to polish out the rougher stuff.

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Finally got my PS3 back from my brother (told him to buy his own) so I went on a PS3 exclusive shopping spree. Did I miss anything good?

If you like RPGs also Valkyria Chronicles(my fav PS3 game) and then Demon's Souls comes out this week.

WEGGLES

sharkmuncher said:
IMG_4411.jpg

It is so nice to have a decent tv finally
I stared at this post for like 7 mins before realizing I had the Pics that make you laugh for no apparent reason thread open in a different tab.......

AkIRA_22

Well just hours a go I picked up my new Laptop. Writing this post on it now!

0a2d3a0a.jpg

It's a Samsung R620. It has a 2.53GHz dual Core CPU, 4GB of RAM, ATI 4650 1GB GPU and a 500GB HDD.

It runs just about everything I have thrown at it... even Crysis cough, at medium detail and 768 resolution, cough.

Couldn't be happier with it.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I'm gonna get up to season 12, maybe 13. The reason I mentioned 1 and 3 first is because they are $15 each at Wal-Mart. If I can find 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, or 12 for $20 first then I'll get those.
You missed out a few months back when Target had every single season for like ~$12 or something. That's how I finished off my collection. Now I need a really awesome deal on South Park DVDs...

I owned a TG16 growing up. I loved it. But I sold it, the CD add-on, and all my games a few years ago. I didn't really miss it. It was a big, ugly unit, and while HuCards are the coolest game media of all time those U.S. boxes were awfully ugly. I had repurchased most of my favorite games (and a whole lotta turds...Silent Debuggers! Why!) off Virtual Console for far less than physical copies would have cost. I was satisfied with that for the most part, despite that awful filter the VC emulator uses for TG16 games.

But recently the 20th anniversary of the console's U.S. release passed, which resulted in quite a few fun articles and threads devoted to the console. Lotsa discussion of PC Engine games I hadn't played. Some good, some great, some really damn odd. This excited me. I thought I knew it all! But there was still so much to discover. So I decided I was going to buy a PC Engine.

There are many, many PC Engine hardware variations. I had to choose one. I initially wanted the original white unit, because it is the coolest console ever designed. But the damn thing only has RF out. There's an add-on for composite but it doubles the size of the unit, which is about as big as a CD case. Spoils everything! So I gave up on that and settled on...

duor.jpg

A PC Engine Duo R. RGB modded and with a new CD laser or lens or whatever. I like the way it looks. It's not a beauty like the original PCE, it's not charmingly ugly like the SuperGrafx or Shuttle, but it's got a nice, sleek early 90's electronics design. Far prettier than the regular Duo, and more reliable. I was very excited after purchasing it. It wasn't cheap, but I figured it was worth paying a higher price since the games would no doubt be affordable...

...but of course the games aren't affordable. I dunno why I thought they would be. I conducted thorough research before buying the console, but there was lag time between my research and purchasing the Duo R, and in the interim I must have jumbled U.S. TG16 prices (which are still relatively high, but I stumbled across a few good deals on craigslist) with PCE prices. Oops! I was crushed, cuz so many of the games I wanted most went for sky-high prices. $30+ for New Adventure Island! $50+ for Nexzr! Who-the-hell-knows-how-much for Coryoon! Nuts to this! My dream of cheap 8-bit fun was ruined!

But then I stumbled across the greatest auction of all times. CHECK IT OUT. This was all included in one lot:

coregrafx.jpg

TWO CoreGrafx units. A Tennokoe 2, allowing you to save games. 2 multitaps. 5 controllers, including that stupid 6 button pad. But that's not all!

hucards.jpg

hucardstop.jpg

40-something HuCards! Lotsa turds, but some gems in there! They all came in those little ziploc baggies. When I poured them out on my desk I was flipping out. The auction didn't actually list what was included in the lot, and I could recognize some games from the photos most of them were a mystery, so digging through them it was mostly surprise and excitement!

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL.

boxedpce.jpg

The auction included 20-odd complete PCE games in awesome condition! Including games I was dying for, like New Adventure Island! And lotsa turds. But who the fuck cares! Cuz this auction ended up closing around $100. YEAHHH.

(I had to pay shipping and auction agent fees, but even after that it was an absolutely insane deal compared to ebay or forum prices, and I will probably break even or profit once I sell off all the spares and stuff I don't want.)

Also included in that photo are 20-ish complete HuCards I won in a separate auction for a good price, and 3 or 4 other games I bought separately.

pcehilights.jpg

Some of the complete games that excited me most.

Top left is Hany on the Road, which Ray Barnholt (I think) mentioned on the recent TG16 Retronauts. Gave it a shot and really dug it. Simple and cute with great music.

Second row on the left is Valkyrie no Densetsu. I've been dying to buy the PCB forever, but it hasn't happened, so I'll settle for the PCE version for now.

Gunhed is the Japanese version of Blazing Lazers, which is a game I'm not too big on nowadays, but it's still fun, with a great soundtrack and that box art's hot.

The Jackie Chan game's nothing special but it's a fast paced Hudson platformer and I am developing a pretty big soft spot for those.

Bottom left is Dracula X - Rondo of Blood, of course. I wasn't planning on buying this one. It costs a fortune, right? Then I found a copy for $60. Which is still expensive. But not $100-150 expensive. And it's an amazing game. May as well! Go big or go home, baby.

In the middle of the bottom row is Appare! Gateball. I will never play this. But Kevin Gifford's review cracked me up so I am happy to own it!

Once I retire I'm going to play through J.B. Harold Murder Club again and I am going to find out who the damn murderer was. I will!

So yeah. I own like 90 PC Engine games now. Oops. I have a few more on the way, including Coryoon! I would worry about when I'll find time to play all these, but it doesn't matter. It's 8-bit. It's timeless.

hanataakadaka.jpg

Oh yeah, also got Hana Taaka Daka! AKA Long Nosed Goblin. Super colorful cute 'em up with some great bosses, including a white Abdullah the Butcher...? Less than $20 loose. eBay copies go for some stupidly high price, of course.

But one (or 3...) 8-bit console wasn't enough! Since I was cruising eBay for PCE stuff I figured I'd take a peek at other junk I've long dreamt of owning. Wasn't intending to buy! Just browsing. Checked out the Saturn stuff...Famicom games are still overpriced...figured I'd see if Twin Famicoms have gone up any...

BAM.

twinfami.jpg

Twin Famicom AN-505-RD. I had no idea this even existed. And from my googling it seems the English speaking Famicom collectors didn't know of it until a few years ago, and very few have shown up for sale. Apparently it's very R@RE HTF. There's also a black version with green highlights that's similarly hot. I always told myself I'd hold off on buying Famicom junk until I made a trip to Japan, but this was one of a kind! The auction description described it as faded, but it was faded in such an attractive way! One of a kind! I had to have it. So I spent a ton of money and it's now mine. I no longer need that Spice Orange GameCube. I have something BETTER.

famigames.jpg

Some games. MappyLand and Ice Hockey came with the console. Bought the other 3 separately. Have a few of the untranslated Konami games coming in the mail. I'm pumped!

nazo.jpg

NAZO NO MURASAMEJO MANUAL COMES WITH STICKERS. FDS packaging is great. Up there with HuCards. Love the yellow, love the manuals. Nazo's is thick and squarebound. In the back are some great illustrations showing all the horrible ways a Famicom Disk can die.

lolomanual.jpg

lolodisk.jpg

Not enough box arts feature photographs of handmade models nowadays.

Yes Boss!

Wow.

Almost went for a Duo a few weeks back but kept on the Saturn instead. One day. I did have a few back the early nineties though.

I think Pikmin was the last game I saw that had a photographed model (clay and in the instruction manual, but gorgeous).

Also, props to JB Harold! I remember importing that game since it had a full english localization for the japanese release...ton of fun playing it with friends. Wonder if it holds up.

Yes Boss! said:
Wow.

Almost went for a Duo a few weeks back but kept on the Saturn instead. One day. I did have a few back the early nineties though.

I think Pikmin was the last game I saw that had a photographed model (clay and in the instruction manual, but gorgeous).

Also, props to JB Harold! I remember importing that game since it had a full english localization for the japanese release...ton of fun playing it with friends. Wonder if it holds up.
I was all ready to buy that Saturn but the PCE fever bit and I decided to get something different rather than a system I already own but in a different color. I made the right choice for now, I think. Gotta hook my Saturn back up now that I found my S-video cable.

The Pikmin 2 box is maybe the best of that era. Well, maybe this one's better. But Pikmin 2's in second place.

I wish I'd imported JB Harold! I didn't find out about the dual language until after my copy arrived. The Japanese cover is so much cooler. I played through the game again in 2004 and had a good time, though it is pretty rough. When testing it a few days ago I was surprised by how shitty the audio quality on the voice samples is. I never did find out who the murderer was. I got it down to the final two suspects, and I was sure I knew who did it, but I couldn't figure out the correct dialogue tree to get them to confess. I've tried looking for info online but I ain't found jack. I'm surprised the game is so obscure. It sure was unique for its time.

Yes Boss!

We never beat JB Harold either. But as teens in high school we had a riot playing it.

Had a Duo-R a minute away from purchase last month but changed my mind at the last second and continued with Saturn. Only have a few more Saturn shooters to get (Hyper Duel, Thunder Force Gold Pack 2) then I'll likely go onto PC-Engine. But not till next year...wiped out after last month. WIPED OUT.

Most curious about Mr. Heli. I've never heard of that one. Looks Irem though. Fun. I'd like that on VC.

Also, a version of JB Harold released a few years back for DS.

Netto-kun

Yes! Finally got internet and wireless set up in my apartment.:D Pick-ups from Tokyo Game Show and some other random things.

Gyakuten Saiban artbook and Rockman Dash 2 OST + artbook.
SSL21699.jpg

Some Monster Hunter plushies.
SSL21700.jpg

Mega Man Star Force plushie keychain, Metal Slime Card Case, Cactuar keychain, Crystal Bearers cell phone strap.
SSL21701.jpg

Monster Hunter 3 poster.
SSL21702.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII posters. These two.
SSL21703.jpg

Small gift from playing Okamiden-demo.
SSL21704.jpg

Gyakuten Saiban 3, Black Matrix Zero (GBA), 5000 yen PSN point card and wireless router. Local shop was selling Shining Force Feather and Echoes of Time for 980 yen.
SSL21705.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Turbo Duo's gonna be the next system I go after. I'm primarily just trying to get Saturn shit right now, though, but someday.

Amory

IMG_0182.jpg

LSAT prep book, Retro Game Challenge, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Crank and Driven on DVD, and Scribblenauts

marwan said:
my new toy, Nokia N97 with 32GB built in,qwerty keyboard and a 5 Megapixel camera...plus tons more!

full specs here: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n97-2615.php

03102009439.jpg

Oh why do you do such things to me?! I was all set to get one last week but, I'm trying be strong and hold out for more reviews the new SE Satio...

It's been a while since I bought a new phone so I'm do :lol I'm going to pick one up in the next 2 months...

LRB1983

Banned
osknoes said:
Where did you buy this. I'm having a really hard time to find it in stores ( Montreal ).
Did you buy them online ?
They're from GAME (Spain) 2,90€/pair. I don't Know If they sell internationally but Play.com have them too and I think they do but for 3,99€.

botkiller said:
Wasn't expecting to do this, but I picked up a 360 Elite to finally replace my launch system.

20091005-qukgh49u5pmnnghiq95ef6s5x7.jpg

20091005-ftgyxdnir8u87k8wkcr23ksmah.jpg

Also, I got a bed!
20091005-18fi3u43d1h7paabdsmafx71cs.jpg

Thats a nice bed man looks comfy and soft and warm congratulations on the bed. Man that is a nice bed.

Goidil

Came back from Video Game History, a retrogaming event in Monza, with these:

vgh017.jpg

Metal Slug 3 Collectors Edition (sold with a nice calendar and a card) and Fire Pro Wrestling for Game Boy Advance

vgh018.jpg

South Park Chef's Luv Snack and The House of the Dead 2 (another copy)

vgh7.jpg

This is the robotic dog that you can see in this Game Gear's commercial

vgh.jpg

I started to play South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play for Xbox Live Arcade. Very nice!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This landed on my door mat this morning, grabbed it off the bay for £6, I purchased the original on xbox day one, but tbh it's looking a bit old now when replaying it on my 360, this though maxed on the PC playing with a 360 controller is amazing, I wish they patched in native 360 controller support, I've set up the controls manually but no vibration is a bit of a bummer, also for those interested the latest patch takes out the 'CD Check' so you can play the game without the disc in your the drive now.

2rgj639.jpg

For those of you that missed out on the original Halo and feel that the dated graphics are an obstacle then I really recommend getting it for the PC and play it with the 360 pad.

My gamecrazy closed down :( So I had to re-pre order a bunch of stuff. Went to best buy today and pre ordered Forza 3 and Uncharted 2... once it rang up the guy told me I got the pre orders free for doing them at the same time.

So looking at my sales slip it shows 5 dollars off each title... not sure if this is a reward zone deal or what but saving 10 bucks is saving 10 bucks!!!

fmu2pre.jpg

botkiller said:
Wasn't expecting to do this, but I picked up a 360 Elite to finally replace my launch system.

20091005-ftgyxdnir8u87k8wkcr23ksmah.jpg
Please tell me I am seeing things... It looks like the connection for the power bar is no longer a standard size.

I know the existing power brick wouldn't work with standard power cables, but you could grind/cut down a little plastic slit so they would fit in the xbox power brick... But this new brick... The hole itself looks smaller.

I probably confused like 100+ people with my poorly worded sentence, I apologize.

MMaRsu said:
Holy shit dude nice photo's. What camera do you use?

Also _O_ on lost. I need to get all seasons on dvd as I've almost finished it. Watching the finale to Season 5 tonight.. for the first time ever woohoo I'm psyched.
Thanks! :D

I need to find season 3 and 4 now. Camera used here is Nikon D60 with stock lens.

AdamMPSP

Sephon said:
Almost completely gaming-unrelated.
But I bought a new jacket which some might recognize:
Thriller_Cut.jpg

I actually love it, it's a beauty.

That's effing sweet. I used to have one of those jackets as like a 5 year old kid, wish I still had it. I guess I'd also need like the Gary Coleman disease so that it would still fit me.

botkiller

practice02 said:
Thats a nice bed man looks comfy and soft and warm congratulations on the bed. Man that is a nice bed.
It is very comfy and soft and warm, especially since I had been sleeping on the floor while waiting for it.

cjelly said:
Is that an Ikea Malm?

Fucking hell, how many GAFers have that bed? :lol :lol
Haha, yes, it is! Hard to beat the price.

Devin Olsen said:
Please tell me I am seeing things... It looks like the connection for the power bar is no longer a standard size.

I know the existing power brick wouldn't work with standard power cables, but you could grind/cut down a little plastic slit so they would fit in the xbox power brick... But this new brick... The hole itself looks smaller.

I probably confused like 100+ people with my poorly worded sentence, I apologize.
I can fit my old power cable into the hole on the new power brick. I don't know why you'd want to, but it seems that it fits just fine.

As of this Saturday i am the proud owner of the HTC Hero, This means i can now take some photos of my pick-ups.

Lets have a little bit of a recap of the last few months then shall we..?

Warriors Orochi 2 + Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires

IMAG0004.jpg

Sackboy + Pink Ds lite + Beautiful Katamari + Katamari Forever

IMAG0006.jpg

Star Ocean 4 Limited Edition

IMAG0005.jpg

Apologies for the poor surroundings, The light is pretty poor in my games room.

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

I present to you GAF... Bailey!

She's a 2 month old, black lab. She was found wandering the beach by herself. She's being spayed today and we pick her up tomorrow. She's going to be a groggy puppy. I will post more pictures in the coming days.

marwan

Banned
Mattlikewhoa said:
Oh why do you do such things to me?! I was all set to get one last week but, I'm trying be strong and hold out for more reviews the new SE Satio...

It's been a while since I bought a new phone so I'm do :lol I'm going to pick one up in the next 2 months...

both are great phones, but the N97 has the Ovi store and a full werty keyboard, plus tons of support! including a full facebook client and instant push mail using Nokia mail service, just like it is on Blackberry :)

not to mention Ngage, which means Metal Gear Solid,Boom Blox, Resident Evil and tons more :)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
manofmandango said:

She's a 2 month old, black lab. She was found wandering the beach by herself. She's being spayed today and we pick her up tomorrow. She's going to be a groggy puppy. I will post more pictures in the coming days.
Dogs rule, you rule. Thanks for adopting!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
manofmandango said:

My sister got one of those, I fucking hate it.

Top Bottom