• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fucking hell that thing is beautiful !!!
LG 48" C1

maC4Wrp.jpg

Seems I have 1 dead/stuck pixel. Not sure if I should return it for it... people say it might fix itself ?
It's right on the top of that mountain on my wallpaper, so not really center

dw1rPlg.jpg

LG 48" C1

Seems I have 1 dead/stuck pixel. Not sure if I should return it for it... people say it might fix itself ?
chances are it won't fix it self. i've had multiple faulty pixels and never experienced them fixing themselves.

i think 1 out of 8,294,400 is reasonable but if you're sitting that close to it, if it's in a noticeable area, and it annoys you then return it but chances are you'll just get another TV with the same issue and/or other issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schorschi

This week my brandnew Sony 65 90ja arrives.. I'm very excited, it 'a lot of money, 3500 euros, but the first reviews said, It's the best picture they have ever saw...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
LG 48" C1

maC4Wrp.jpg

dw1rPlg.jpg
some set up and fair play to you but i don't think i could sit that close to a screen of that size and that dead pixel would really annoy me and is probably exacerbated at that viewing distance, you would never notice it at couch distance, so aye id return

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
some set up and fair play to you but i don't think i could sit that close to a screen of that size and that dead pixel would really annoy me and is probably exacerbated at that viewing distance, you would never notice it at couch distance, so aye id return
The pixel is black so only visible on bright background. I will think about replacing but I might end up exchanging 7 tv's until I am luck and it might ba hassle

Torn between the C1 and G1 77” - seems to be an $800 difference but the G1 comes with a wall mount, so $700 really. Thoughts on if it’s worth it? G1 hasn’t shown as available yet either...

Ulysses 31

Torn between the C1 and G1 77” - seems to be an $800 difference but the G1 comes with a wall mount, so $700 really. Thoughts on if it’s worth it? G1 hasn’t shown as available yet either...
With that reasoning, the G1 doesn't come with a stand so that's 100$ extra again. :lollipop_grinning:

llien

OK, guys, my mixed news story.

LG W7 65", about 2.5 years old.
Was doing fine, a bit yellowish cast closer to the side edges, but that was angle dependent and I was thinking it wasn't perhaps even hanging and bent a bit at the edges.

Anyway. Was overall please with the picture, then suddenly got weird blob of about 40 by 40 cm in the middle of the screen.

Freaked out a b it, read about pixel refreshing, ran it 2 or 3 times. (now I think it wasn't the best idea and it would have dissapeared with normal routine refresh)
The blob was completely gone, but I got some slight bending, which was very slightly visible in normal conditions and even then when screen was panning, however was rather obvious with predominantly yellow backgrounds. Here is how pure yellow looked like (interestingly, blue/red were perfect, at least as far as my eyes could see it). Note that what you see in the top right corner is a reflection, not a screen defect:

muieHhK.jpg

So, meanwhile, got notification on the TV itself that LG is replacing power supply parts in this series of TVs as they tend to overheat, and when technitian was there, I've asked him about banding issue.
He said LG was clearly going to replace it, he wasn't only sure if they'd pay for the installation. In the end, they did, even though TV was 2.5 years old (technically, at least half a year beyond warranty) and I got new panel. Blue/Red are still perfect and yellow (seems to be the hardest thing with OLEDs) looks like this now:

hfMcd2v.jpg

it's not as clear as with blue/red, but it changes with the view angle (had I moved further to the right, mid/left of the screen would be almost the same), but, overall, no noticeable banding in anything.
Here, mobile phone camera exaggerates things a bit, but eyes are still able to detect inconsistencies (only happens with yellows for some reason).

ZywyPL

Banned

The only reasoning for paying that much extra (which I personally did while choosing GX over CX a few months ago) is that the G series save a TON of space, and look absolutely kick-ass while doing so.

Rbk_3

chances are it won't fix it self. i've had multiple faulty pixels and never experienced them fixing themselves.

i think 1 out of 8,294,400 is reasonable but if you're sitting that close to it, if it's in a noticeable area, and it annoys you then return it but chances are you'll just get another TV with the same issue and/or other issues.

This. I went through 3 to get one with acceptable white uniformity and or near black uniformity. I am pretty anel about TV defects, but I don't even look for dead pixels and have never noticed one on any display I have owned. The uniformity issues are much more noticeable than a dead pixel or 2.

dDoc

Not to rain on OLED owner's parade but from what I'm reading here lots of people are having issues with brand new sets. Not taking into account the burn in and image retention risks that might come down the road.

You peeps seriously must love what OLED offers, but coming in with issues from day 1 should be a big no no in my book.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not to rain on OLED owner's parade but from what I'm reading here lots of people are having issues with brand new sets. Not taking into account the burn in and image retention risks that might come down the road.

You peeps seriously must love what OLED offers, but coming in with issues from day 1 should be a big no no in my book.
keegan-michael key thumbs GIF by The Paley Center for Media

MadPanda

Banned
The only reasoning for paying that much extra (which I personally did while choosing GX over CX a few months ago) is that the G series save a TON of space, and look absolutely kick-ass while doing so.
This year it's different as g1 has an oled evo panel while c1 has a standard one.

MadPanda

Banned

Every TV has some issues day 1, no matter what as there's no perfect TV. I honestly think many people are overreacting, especially those using test patterns on YouTube to find some issues. I've never run any of those tests and I'm happy with my TV. Why would I spoil my enjoyment with YouTube test patterns when I don't have any problems in real scenarios?

dDoc

Day 1 shouldnt be acceptable in my book.

To Rofif - I would return it and demand another set.

Nikana Nikana - It's not like OLED is unknown to not have issues after some time right?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Day 1 shouldnt be acceptable in my book.

To Rofif - I would return it and demand another set.

Nikana Nikana - It's not like OLED is unknown to not have issues after some time right?
No? Like any technology it has drawbacks. No such thing as a perfect TV. But OLED is by far, in most opinions at least, to be far superior.

Godfavor

Worse viewing angles than last year, 100 nits brighter, slightly better near black handling. Nothing else worth mentioning imo. Disappointed

Last edited:

Godfavor

OLED's improvements have been incremental since 2018, don't know why you expected different this year. :lollipop_winking:
G1 supposed to have a new brighter panel. Seems that this 20% percent translated in 100 more nits calibrated.
If we are gonna look for a big increase in oled brightness, only panels with a heatsink are worth it. Too expensive though

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
G1 supposed to have a new brighter panel. Seems that this 20% percent translated in 100 more nits calibrated.
If we are gonna look for a big increase in oled brightness, only panels with a heatsink are worth it. Too expensive though

Hopefully we will be there is terms of brightness in a couple of years (when I plan to replace my C9 :p)

Well said. Mr Highly recommended award for the shitty Samsung Q90T DSE plagued panels.
Not going to lie, his praise of Samsung is on the shill side of things. You just have to identify what is genuine data and what is paid praise with Vincent. But, he still is very knowledgeable and has useful content.

Also, g1 review is up.

SkylineRKR

The picture quality is nothing short of amazing. Its worth the potential risks for me. I think you need to be a Plasma fanboy to appreciate OLED. I used to exclusively buy Panasonic Plasma TVs, and after 4 years of LED I finally went OLED.

Burn in and retention, its not much different from Plasma. Don't let it idle on a static screen for too long. When its turned off for an hour or longer, it pixel shifts for you as a safeguard.

TheBoss1

Don't let the vocal minority fool you. I'm sure many TVs aren't perfect, but most people don't recognize these issues unless it's pointed out to them. I am will to bet there are more LCDs with dead pixels than OLEDs.

I’m replacing my OLED due to burn in. With another OLED. They just look so good, and LG has nailed the gaming features miles better than anyone else. I’d be considering the Sony if they hadn’t gone with one usable 2.1. I was actually going to buy a Samsung until, again, they screwed the US with 1 usable 2.1 and not launching their 4K One Connect mode here.

LG are the only ones doing it right, so they get repeat business from me here.

Going to watch Vincent’s G1 review and then almost certainly order the 77” C1 by the sound of things.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Not going to lie, his praise of Samsung is on the shill side of things. You just have to identify what is genuine data and what is paid praise with Vincent. But, he still is very knowledgeable and has useful content.

Also, g1 review is up.

Would you guys who accuse him of being a paid shill come to conclusion who is paying him - Samsung or LG? Just the other day someone was accusing him for something regarding LG, now it's Samsung, tomorrow it's going to be Sony or Panasonic and so on.

Ulysses 31

I’m replacing my OLED due to burn in. With another OLED. They just look so good, and LG has nailed the gaming features miles better than anyone else.
Eh, Samsung still has an edge on them with their game motion plus that makes 30 fps games a lot more tolerable.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I’m replacing my OLED due to burn in. With another OLED. They just look so good, and LG has nailed the gaming features miles better than anyone else. I’d be considering the Sony if they hadn’t gone with one usable 2.1. I was actually going to buy a Samsung until, again, they screwed the US with 1 usable 2.1 and not launching their 4K One Connect mode here.

LG are the only ones doing it right, so they get repeat business from me here.

Going to watch Vincent’s G1 review and then almost certainly order the 77” C1 by the sound of things.
I thought the Sonys have 2 usable HDMI 2.1 ports, although one is also the eARC port so if you use that then it would become 1 less I guess.

Would you guys who accuse him of being a paid shill come to conclusion who is paying him - Samsung or LG? Just the other day someone was accusing him for something regarding LG, now it's Samsung, tomorrow it's going to be Sony or Panasonic and so on.
I don't think he's a paid shill. But sometimes, you have to dress up a review to keep the money and products coming. He's by far my favorite youtube TV reviewer.

Nothing he says with regards to data on his samsung review is false, it's just... I don't think he would personally want Samsung's inaccuracies, DSE and gimped local dimming in game mode for his personal use. Not to mention the crushed blacks and vignetting from Samsung's local dimming algorithm. A purist doesn't want those things, but he still gives them glowing recommendations. It doesn't fit. Samsung are the apple of the TV world ; overpriced and style over substance.

So maybe a bit of shilling in his ending conclusions. He does it less with LG because frankly, OLED is the superior product anyway.

Last edited:

Amaranty

Also, g1 review is up.
Vincent a Samsung shill? You must be joking. He showed in a comparison video, how Sony' X900H with 32 dimming zones performs better than high end Samsung Q90T in game mode.

Vincent a Samsung shill? You must be joking. He showed in a comparison video, how Sony' X900H with 32 dimming zones performs better than high end Samsung Q90T in game mode.
Holy shit, let's just move on. See above post.

His DATA is not biased at all.

Last edited:
I asked Vincent this and he replied promptly :

"Hello Vincent, did you mean to say LG's 2021 motion interpolation is better than 2020 and prior year Sony's even?"

"What we meant was that in terms of removing 24p stutter in films, LG's new [Cinematic Movement] introduced the least soap opera effect and interpolation artefacts, even less than Sony's [Motionflow] > [Smoothness] 1."

Wow, LG stepped their game up! I do actually see a bit of artifacting in animation on the lowest setting of 1 on my a8h, though it's very subtle. No artifacts on film though, to my eyes. Looks like TVs are moving toward eliminating artifacts completely on the lowest interpolation settings. Curious to see how the A90J compares!

Eh, Samsung still has an edge on them with their game motion plus that makes 30 fps games a lot more tolerable.
Biggest gaming feature is 2.1, and Samsung gimped the US models to try and push people to 8K. Which I considered for a brief moment before recovering my sanity. Sony have too few 2.1 ports and haven’t delivered on VRR support yet.

As someone who uses eArc for a Sonos Arc soundbar, only LG is catering to me as a multi platform gamer this year. I would happily buy the other brands, but they disappointed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK, guys, my mixed news story.

LG W7 65", about 2.5 years old.
Was doing fine, a bit yellowish cast closer to the side edges, but that was angle dependent and I was thinking it wasn't perhaps even hanging and bent a bit at the edges.

Anyway. Was overall please with the picture, then suddenly got weird blob of about 40 by 40 cm in the middle of the screen.

Freaked out a b it, read about pixel refreshing, ran it 2 or 3 times. (now I think it wasn't the best idea and it would have dissapeared with normal routine refresh)
The blob was completely gone, but I got some slight bending, which was very slightly visible in normal conditions and even then when screen was panning, however was rather obvious with predominantly yellow backgrounds. Here is how pure yellow looked like (interestingly, blue/red were perfect, at least as far as my eyes could see it). Note that what you see in the top right corner is a reflection, not a screen defect:

muieHhK.jpg

So, meanwhile, got notification on the TV itself that LG is replacing power supply parts in this series of TVs as they tend to overheat, and when technitian was there, I've asked him about banding issue.
He said LG was clearly going to replace it, he wasn't only sure if they'd pay for the installation. In the end, they did, even though TV was 2.5 years old (technically, at least half a year beyond warranty) and I got new panel. Blue/Red are still perfect and yellow (seems to be the hardest thing with OLEDs) looks like this now:

hfMcd2v.jpg

it's not as clear as with blue/red, but it changes with the view angle (had I moved further to the right, mid/left of the screen would be almost the same), but, overall, no noticeable banding in anything.
Here, mobile phone camera exaggerates things a bit, but eyes are still able to detect inconsistencies (only happens with yellows for some reason).

You think that's bad, take a look at my B6 from late 2016:

X9W6slW.jpg
0NKTbfU.jpg
HKYo82w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bboris77

Neo Member
The pixel is black so only visible on bright background. I will think about replacing but I might end up exchanging 7 tv's until I am luck and it might ba hassle
Is it only the white subpixel that is dead? You should test it on red, blue and green backgrounds to see if it's just the white subpixel. If it is only one dead subpixel (or a pixel) and is not noticeable in normal use, I would keep it.

For reference, my CX48 had no dead pixels I could see within the first week or two. And I checked it really closely using uniform red, blue, green and white screens. Then it developed a dead pixel in the top right corner, one dead green subpixel in the top left and another dead blue/green subpixel in the utmost top right corner within the next few weeks. Cannot see any of them in normal use, so I am keeping it. It has not been developing further pixel problems in the last 4 months. I have a 5 year extended warranty, so if it becomes a problem down the line, I will have the panel replaced, but only if it is visible from my normal viewing distance.

Unfortunately, OLEDs are simply more prone to developing dead pixels at least within the first few hundred hours compared with the LCD technology at this point in time. It is a fact, and people that deny it are simply too afraid to look for these pixels because they don't want to flare up their OCD. Whenever I hear people say that they have had multiple OLEDs with no dead subpixels or pixels, I can guarantee you that they did not look hard enough. Which is fine - 99% of these dead pixels are not noticeable from regular viewing distance AND no manufacturer that I know guarantees a pixel-perfect panel.

For me, it was a conscious decision to stick with OLED despite these quirks after returning a BX with several clusters of dead pixels that were noticeable from regular viewing distance - I made my peace with any single-pixel and subpixel defects as a small price to pay for spectacular picture quality of OLED. There is no display technology right now that is even close to perfect, so it is all about the compromises you are willing to make. I play a lot of video games and watch a lot of soccer, so having no Dirty Screen Effect in medium bright content (not 5% gray screen) was my priority number one, and OLEDs are fantastic in this regard compared to FALD LEDs that have a very pronounced grid-like DSE.

I would definitely advise buying an extended warranty that does cover dead pixels and bright pixels. As far as I am aware, LG will replace panels with bright pixels that are permanently on and any panels that have clusters of dead pixels (two or more dead pixels or subpixels next to each other).

Jigga117

There are HDMI 2.1 soundbars out there though like the HW-Q950T that can hook up 2 HDMI devices on it.
Where does it state that this is a 2.1 soundbar? It shows the same info as any other Soundbar specifying about the capability of eARC yet no mention about gaming related passthrough.

Ulysses 31

Where does it state that this is a 2.1 soundbar? It shows the same info as any other Soundbar specifying about the capability of eARC yet no mention about gaming related passthrough.
It doesn't show anywhere to my knowledge so it was a pleasant surprise to me when I tested with Xbox Series X and it did send through a 4K HDR 120 Hz signal to my LG CX via the soundbar.

Jigga117

It doesn't show anywhere to my knowledge so it was a pleasant surprise to me when I tested with Xbox Series X and it did send through a 4K HDR 120 Hz signal to my LG CX via the soundbar.
So when you go to the Xbox Display settings it has everything checkmarked under 4k TV details?

llien

You think that's bad, take a look at my B6 from late 2016:

X9W6slW.jpg
0NKTbfU.jpg
HKYo82w.jpg

Ouch.
Both red and blue were looking flawless in my case.
Curiously, despite yellow having strong banding, TV still managed quite convincing grey.

How did LG handle your case?

ZywyPL

Banned
This year it's different as g1 has an oled evo panel while c1 has a standard one.

Which as early reports say isn't actually that much different, literally <800 nits peak, almost the same as in other TVs from 9/X/1 series.

The question is how high do you really wanna go tho, because after the initial WOW effect you start to realize that within just a few minutes after the HDR kicks in your eyes start to hurt, let a lone after a 2h movie/gaming session. The more I get to watch HDR content the more I believe it's just yet another marketing gimmick, to fool people that more=better.

Top Bottom