• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Ulysses 31

So when you go to the Xbox Display settings it has everything checkmarked under 4k TV details?
It did except for Dolby Vision since I had VRR on. Didn't test for long since I use that soundbar for my Samsung TV, someone else on the forum mentioned that it was HDMI 2.1 so it was a quick confirmation test.

This reddit claims it has HDMI 2.1 also

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I’m happy to have a thread where we can gloat about how much better our TVs are than Samsung “Q”LEDs.

Samsung Q90T

OUR VERDICT​

Set aside the comparison with the Q90R and see the Q90T for what it is: an excellent, aggressively priced 4K TV that does things its OLED rivals simply can’t

Not my words, Carol, the words of WhatHiFi.com

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I
Is it only the white subpixel that is dead? You should test it on red, blue and green backgrounds to see if it's just the white subpixel. If it is only one dead subpixel (or a pixel) and is not noticeable in normal use, I would keep it.

For reference, my CX48 had no dead pixels I could see within the first week or two. And I checked it really closely using uniform red, blue, green and white screens. Then it developed a dead pixel in the top right corner, one dead green subpixel in the top left and another dead blue/green subpixel in the utmost top right corner within the next few weeks. Cannot see any of them in normal use, so I am keeping it. It has not been developing further pixel problems in the last 4 months. I have a 5 year extended warranty, so if it becomes a problem down the line, I will have the panel replaced, but only if it is visible from my normal viewing distance.

Unfortunately, OLEDs are simply more prone to developing dead pixels at least within the first few hundred hours compared with the LCD technology at this point in time. It is a fact, and people that deny it are simply too afraid to look for these pixels because they don't want to flare up their OCD. Whenever I hear people say that they have had multiple OLEDs with no dead subpixels or pixels, I can guarantee you that they did not look hard enough. Which is fine - 99% of these dead pixels are not noticeable from regular viewing distance AND no manufacturer that I know guarantees a pixel-perfect panel.

For me, it was a conscious decision to stick with OLED despite these quirks after returning a BX with several clusters of dead pixels that were noticeable from regular viewing distance - I made my peace with any single-pixel and subpixel defects as a small price to pay for spectacular picture quality of OLED. There is no display technology right now that is even close to perfect, so it is all about the compromises you are willing to make. I play a lot of video games and watch a lot of soccer, so having no Dirty Screen Effect in medium bright content (not 5% gray screen) was my priority number one, and OLEDs are fantastic in this regard compared to FALD LEDs that have a very pronounced grid-like DSE.

I would definitely advise buying an extended warranty that does cover dead pixels and bright pixels. As far as I am aware, LG will replace panels with bright pixels that are permanently on and any panels that have clusters of dead pixels (two or more dead pixels or subpixels next to each other).
White and red pixels are off. Blue seems ok

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Technically it's a true statement, the Q90R/Q90T brightness and color volume wise can do things OLEDs can't at this time.
It's true but I am not sure how much brightness does anyone needs. The mastering is up to 4 or 10k nits....
And my C1 is peaking around 650 and these spots are so bright already.
I think the industry is chasing the brightness like if we were all watching tv's in full sun outside ;P

TitanNut88

So, probably the Sony A90J will be a bit better than the LG G1 but, considering I can get the LG for €2,100 and the Sony for €3,599, I should go for the LG right? RIGHT?

smbu2000

Picked up an LG 48CX not too long ago. It replaced a 2018 Toshiba 55” OLED that came to an unfortunate end (cracked panel). Looked at the C1, but doesn’t really seem that different from the CX, so I went for that one.
Definitely happy with it so far. Wanted a 48” this time and it had the best features (120hz/VRR) compared to the Sharp/Toshiba/Sony 48” OLEDs I was also looking at. Considered a Panasonic 55”, either GZ2000 or HZ2000, but those still lacked (120/VRR) and I’m happy with the 48” size for now.

My XSX connected fine and gave me the option for 120hz. Need to try connecting my PC to it to see how it fares.

Ulysses 31

It's true but I am not sure how much brightness does anyone needs. The mastering is up to 4 or 10k nits....
I think the industry is chasing the brightness like if we were all watching tv's in full sun outside ;P
Also helps that you sit very close so that very high brightness isn't needed and would be unpleasant to the eyes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch.
Both red and blue were looking flawless in my case.
Curiously, despite yellow having strong banding, TV still managed quite convincing grey.

How did LG handle your case?

It was out of warranty and the extended repair period they offer in the US, so they just directed me to some local TV repair shop, but it had terrible reviews online (sounds like it was a front run by some Russian mobsters or something), so I decided to just live with it. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker in most content.

recursive

I am waiting on best buy to stock the c1 48" so I can use my best buy bucks. From what I can tell performance wise the 48 is no different from the larger versions beyond the size. Anyone know differently? I know some manufactures gimp the smaller size screen in the same family but from what I can tell lg did not.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am getting used to the size. Yesterday that 48" c1 was too big and I was not sure if I will keep it.
Today, after using warm20 preset and lowering oled light to 30, I also got used to the size.

ZywyPL

Banned
I am getting used to the size. Yesterday that 48" c1 was too big and I was not sure if I will keep it.
Today, after using warm20 preset and lowering oled light to 30, I also got used to the size.

As always ;) The initial impression is always "OMG I went too big...", but after a week or two you're completely used to it and already start thinking "I should've went bigger...". At least when it comes down to TVs, because at a desktop viewing distance your field of view is greatly limited.

For gaming, LG, if you care more about movies and picture accuracy, Sony.

LG is superior for gaming. Which is weird because Sony but its how it is.

Honestly, just the full array of HDMI2.1 (with actually full set of features) makes the LG's offer a no-brainer for me. It's 2021 already and most manufacturers still have some serious issues with incorporating the new standard into their TVs.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I am waiting on best buy to stock the c1 48" so I can use my best buy bucks. From what I can tell performance wise the 48 is no different from the larger versions beyond the size. Anyone know differently? I know some manufactures gimp the smaller size screen in the same family but from what I can tell lg did not.

They're all the same, at least CX was like that and I fully expect the same with c1.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have the 48" C1. No comparsion do cx... just that it's fucking great.

I have 1 problem though. The tv switches audio mode from better standard preset to "game optimizer" preset constantly... every time I restart my pc. Annoying. Everything else works as expected. Gsync, hdr, sdr, 120hz with hdmi 2.1 full rgb

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
I would not recommend buying an lg tv. Its not a consumer friendly company. They dont support their tvs with proper firmware updates. Not even the first year.

Shit company. I always by sony or panasonic. But this time i bought an lg and i was deeply dissapointed that they have not updated and given it freesync support. When they did for cx.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
My LG C9 just went out and refuses to turn on. Good thing I purchased that extended warranty from Costco. Already got a repairman scheduled to come out.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would not recommend buying an lg tv. Its not a consumer friendly company. They dont support their tvs with proper firmware updates. Not even the first year.

Shit company. I always by sony or panasonic. But this time i bought an lg and i was deeply dissapointed that they have not updated and given it freesync support. When they did for cx.
They are the company that updates their TVs the most.... at least oleds

J3nga

While I have C9 myself and absolutely love it, I agree, the support kinda sucks, especially 2nd year. Considering you pay premium for the TV it should be supported until hardware is capable of accepting new features.

Last edited:

J3nga

on c1 I can choose freesync premium or gsync. So what's missing? Vrr is built in hdmi 2.0/2.1 standard. If I turn these off, it will still be used i think
Of course C1 has freesync. CX received it, C9 did not, so he's probably referring to that.

SkylineRKR

I think you have to turn off Freesync. At least it seems to conflict with some stuff. I have it turned off on my CX. Isn't it so that on Xbox, you can't turn on Dolby Vision if you have FreeSync enabled?

ZywyPL

Banned

Just the full array of HDMI 2.1 ports alone (and with full set of features) makes the LG offer a no-brainer for me. If you're looking for a TV with the purpose of gaming there's basically no other option, you have to go with LG, whether your a console of PC gamer, as they support... basically everything there is that makes gaming so much better. Their own WebOS is another thing that alone makes me and many people I know to ultimately decide to pick up an LG TV instead of someone's else TV based on Android. The constant FW updates, again, even for things most people wouldn't even noticed if it wasn't for Vincent Teoh's vids, just show it's the company to go with, whereas you have for example Sony who have tremendous issues with even just unlocking the features on their HDMI 2.1 ports.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Keep trying.

FrankWza

This is the dumbest critique of oleds. The brightness is sometimes too much too take. Not to mention, I would think if you’re pricing TVs at $2k and up the customer is going to be somewhat of an HT experienced buyer or enthusiast and have some type of blackout or darkening situation going on. Who watches any tv in a bright room? We tint our car windows, wear sunglasses sit in pitch dark movie theaters and hope nobody checks their phone because it’s distracting and buy curtains and blinds. All of a sudden everyone is watching TV while gardening?

edit:
Nice screen and setup btw

Last edited:

Schorschi

Today I become my 65 Sony a 90 j.. I must say, i feel like a child under the christmas tree, i'm 56 years old, but i don't care 😊🙃

Ulysses 31

Who watches any tv in a bright room? We tint our car windows, wear sunglasses sit in pitch dark movie theaters and hope nobody checks their phone because it’s distracting and buy curtains and blinds. All of a sudden everyone is watching TV while gardening?

edit:
Nice screen and setup btw
Enough people that even HDTVtest still finds it worthy of mentioning it in his OLED vs QLED summary.

Dunno why you had to pull that exaggeration e end there.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Don't know why you would expect a C9 to get Freesync when it is a hardware update not only software. I also find it ironic to claim not to recommend LG when it offers the best options for gamers with 4 HDMI ports while other companies offer 1 or 2. On top of that you recommend Sony but for the last 2 years haven't implemented VRR and don't offer what you just complained about Gsync or Freesync even if VRR was available. VRR works as needed for the Xbox One S/X and Xbox Series X/S and me personally I got an Nvidia Card for PCs for my C9 77/55in so no one is missing anything honestly even if you got an AMD card.

I bought It’s a Wonderful Life on UHD Blu ray to test for the magenta tint I see on my A90J at 5% greyscale. I’m out of town, so I’ll know next Monday. My new tv comes on Tuesday.

MadPanda

Banned
Is there really not a way to pin hdmi ports to the quick bar on the CX?
Just hold a number button on your remote and it will make a shortcut to that port. You can also do it for YouTube and probably other apps but this one is on my shortcut.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Still trying to understand all settings on my c1... so if someone can take a look if it's correct, I would appreciate the tips.

Generally, games and movies (mpc-hc+madvr) switch the display to HDR properly and everything works. Only some games require desktop HDR switch but it's ok.
My settings are (not listed I left at default or are greyed out):
SDR: Game optimizer picture preset(automatic), Oled Light 30(should be around 120 nits), Warm50 white balance, sharpness 0. All AI and energy saving disabled.
HDR: Game optimizer picture preset(automatic), Warm50, sharpness 0, Dynamic Tone mapping = HGIG. All AI and energy saving disabled.
(for movies I also use hgig since DTM ON seems quite aggressive).

I've noticed that setting PEAK BRIGHTNESS is locked out both in SDR and in HDR modes on pc. Is this because I have my input set to PC ? Does this setting even matter?
PS5 always run in HDR mode, so I use HGIG there and the same settings. Peak brightness is available there and I left it at high default. Is it something I should set on pc by maybe changing PC input to Console input ?

There are some annoyances like mentioned earlier switching of audio preset back to shitty game optimizer preset on every pc restart (gsync detection) so I have to switch to music preset on each boot.

Last edited:

DapperSloth

How did LG handle your case?

I can chime in as another B6 user. Live in Sweden and have a big vertical band slightly offcenter to the right that is aprox. 10-15 cm in width. LG took a look at my pictures and video and said that it is normal and within their parameters so they didn't do shit. I read on forums that in USA, LG just replaces panels left and right, lol, well fuck all that in Sweden.

I also have 4 horizontal lines across the TV on my C9, approx 3 cm in width that are spaced almost exactly but I just don't bother cause LG says it is normal.

Jigga117

I can chime in as another B6 user. Live in Sweden and have a big vertical band slightly offcenter to the right that is aprox. 10-15 cm in width. LG took a look at my pictures and video and said that it is normal and within their parameters so they didn't do shit. I read on forums that in USA, LG just replaces panels left and right, lol, well fuck all that in Sweden.

I also have 4 horizontal lines across the TV on my C9, approx 3 cm in width that are spaced almost exactly but I just don't bother cause LG says it is normal.

no that’s not normal

DapperSloth

Well LG still don't give a fuck all in Sweden that is for sure. Hoping that the G1 has less of banding issues.

EDIT: The C9 lines are very faint and are caused by banding. So they are not black lines.

Last edited:

I believe I had this issue with a C9 and had to return it. If you know what dampening lines are on CRT tv's, it almost looked like that. I noticed it when looking at the sky in Edf 4 (solid bright color). Maybe your issue looked different.

Kind of a shame, because I was in love with the panel otherwise. Could've calibrated it to get it closer to Sony. Wonder how many C9's have this issue?

Last edited:

Calverz

100% agree. The brightness of my cx is perfect. Also if you are going to watch a film properly, you are going to take steps to dim the room a little.
The 65cx is the biggest gaming upgrade i have ever bought. Its a complete game changer.

The 65cx is the biggest gaming upgrade i have ever bought.

So Good Thumbs Up GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Top Bottom