• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

llien

I can chime in as another B6 user. Live in Sweden and have a big vertical band slightly offcenter to the right that is aprox. 10-15 cm in width. LG took a look at my pictures and video and said that it is normal and within their parameters so they didn't do shit. I read on forums that in USA, LG just replaces panels left and right, lol, well fuck all that in Sweden.

I also have 4 horizontal lines across the TV on my C9, approx 3 cm in width that are spaced almost exactly but I just don't bother cause LG says it is normal.
I suspect the way they handle it might depend on series. Mine was W7.

Note that in my case stripes appeared after hard pixel refresh (I think I did 3 in a row).

Last edited:

Schorschi

H
bP3xYNQ.jpg
bP3xYNQ.jpg

TitanNut88

I just bought a 65 G1 and, until it arrives, I would like to know how to connect it to all other devices. I have:
  • LG 65G1
  • LG SN11RG
  • PS5
  • Xbox One X
  • Switch
  • TV decoder
How should I connect the things to get the most out of everything (Atmos in the Xbox, 120Hz in the PS5, etc.)? Currently I have everything connected to the soundbar and from the soundbar to the TV (Samsung LED). Should I do the same?

Jigga117

I just bought a 65 G1 and, until it arrives, I would like to know how to connect it to all other devices. I have:
  • LG 65G1
  • LG SN11RG
  • PS5
  • Xbox One X
  • Switch
  • TV decoder
How should I connect the things to get the most out of everything (Atmos in the Xbox, 120Hz in the PS5, etc.)? Currently I have everything connected to the soundbar and from the soundbar to the TV (Samsung LED). Should I do the same?
Atmos receiver/soundbar just plug using EARC into HDMI 2 EARC and plug Xbox directly to the tv in any of the 3 other ports connect PS5 to tv. And switch to tv as well

SkylineRKR

Yeah Xbox seems to conflict with my soundbar on this TV. I can't access 4k resolution then. Directly into the TV is no issue.

Jigga117

Yeah Xbox seems to conflict with my soundbar on this TV. I can't access 4k resolution then. Directly into the TV is no issue.
It’s the hdmi version on your sound bar and it’s going to affect the ability to use VRR with the G1 so yes best to connect directly to the display

dotnotbot

Shame that QD-OLED isn't good enough, LG's WRGB OLEDs have some issues that LG isn't interested in fixing because there's no competition. And when the competition finally arrives, it will come from Chinese who don't give a f about quality, forcing LG to lower cost and quality even more.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Shame that QD-OLED isn't good enough, LG's WRGB OLEDs have some issues that LG isn't interested in fixing because there's no competition. And if the competition finally comes, it will come from Chinese who don't give a f about quality.
I find it even funnier that Samsung may be coming back to OLEDs for their displays after the campaign against them

i went from a 2013 crappy panasonic to a 2020 LG CX. i still have the panasonic in another room (for playing my PS2 on) and i can't believe i used to think it was good. i remember thinking "why do people care so much about deep blacks and contrast?" and how i would never spend £1000+ on a tv.

my CX cost £1,600 and i feel it was totally worth the price. i can't go back to a crappy LED tv. i think even if i got one with local array dimming i'd still be very disappointed. going forward i'll only be buying OLED or any future TV that can compete or better OLED. i think micro led will be that but it seems a long way off yet or at least being affordable for us mere mortals.

G1 supposed to have a new brighter panel. Seems that this 20% percent translated in 100 more nits calibrated.
If we are gonna look for a big increase in oled brightness, only panels with a heatsink are worth it. Too expensive though
It also has reduced power consumption which matters for burn-in. Lots of people are missing this.

I think you could legally write it off as a tax break for healthcare as you have helped you're eye strain.

I was watching from 14 ft distance, lol. I have great eyesight, but still. The new tv doesn’t fit in the corner and the farthest I will sit is 10 ft for the 65 inch. Typically, I’m at about 6-8 ft.

J3nga

i went from a 2013 crappy panasonic to a 2020 LG CX. i still have the panasonic in another room (for playing my PS2 on) and i can't believe i used to think it was good. i remember thinking "why do people care so much about deep blacks and contrast?" and how i would never spend £1000+ on a tv.

my CX cost £1,600 and i feel it was totally worth the price. i can't go back to a crappy LED tv. i think even if i got one with local array dimming i'd still be very disappointed. going forward i'll only be buying OLED or any future TV that can compete or better OLED. i think micro led will be that but it seems a long way off yet or at least being affordable for us mere mortals.
Same here, went from LG IPS to LG OLED C9. Once you go OLED there's no going back.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
My LG 65C8PLA that I bought late in 2018 is still going strong. I regularly do a screen burn test via YouTube to see if there is any damage and so far touch wood no problems have occurred.
I watch a lot of films as well as game so the screen gets plenty of mixed use so should ward off image retention. I've screen shift on and logo luminance adjustment set to max just to be safe. As much as I want to get a 77 inch screen I'm waiting for my current TV to give up the ghost Beforehand and I also want to see a leap in technology.

Seems like blue oled was a bad idea. Would be the ultimate victory if Samsung caves in to LG's technology lol.

I was thinking about it the other day, qd oled is less stable and having brightness issues means they'll probably never catch up to woled which is also improving year to year. QD oled is more than a step behind and a dead end.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I got my 65" CX in yesterday but didn't get a chance to set it up till late. Did throw a movie on just to get a glance and it looked good.

I do need help with settings though for both standard content (netflix/hulu/YouTube) and also 4k hdr. The TV is a bit dimmer coming from a 900f but I knew that'd be the case, colors are more saturated it seems.

Just need help getting it right, plan on watching a movie tonight to test it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you buy an LG CX, does it come with an hdmi 2.1 48gbs cable in the box? If so, how long is it?

My 55" did not (bought in the US).

I looked around a bit and ended up going with this one:

It's worked perfectly for the last half year.

Andeck Vee

Neo Member
My 55" G1 was delivered today. It replaces an old Phillips very early 4k without hdr, that I knew I had to replace to do the XSX justice, I missed ambilight right up until I fired up Assassins creed Valhalla and forza horizon 4. God damn I had not believed people when they said these things looked so good in action. Even watching fellas chase a bag of wind around a stadium is so damned different it's like night and day. I am now set for the next 5 years minimum and hopefully longer.

Seems like blue oled was a bad idea. Would be the ultimate victory if Samsung caves in to LG's technology lol.

I was thinking about it the other day, qd oled is less stable and having brightness issues means they'll probably never catch up to woled which is also improving year to year. QD oled is more than a step behind and a dead end.
Meanwhile, Samsung sister organization, Samsun Display, has QNED. Lets see if next year they bring out a display prototype at CES.

Meanwhile, Samsung sister organization, Samsun Display, has QNED. Lets see if next year they bring out a display prototype at CES.
Qned sounds like the holy grail.
----
Finally getting geek squad to come out and look at my A8h with its dark streaks going down it... Sony denied me so they'll never get a dime through me directly at least maybe through a BB warranty or something lol. But I can't get the A90J since it's too expensive vs. my A8h.

Now i'm debating whether or not to get either the C1 oled and try my luck with oled again or get the samsung qn90A... :pie_thinking: Samsung has 1 hdmi 2.1 port which sucks and i'm worried about DSE and uniformity, but the oled is an oled so it's made of paper mache and has input lag with BFI engaged and much dimmer. No perfect tv atm!

Ulysses 31

Now i'm debating whether or not to get either the C1 oled and try my luck with oled again or get the samsung qn90A... :pie_thinking: Samsung has 1 hdmi 2.1 port which sucks and i'm worried about DSE and uniformity, but the oled is an oled so it's made of paper mache and has input lag with BFI engaged and much dimmer. No perfect tv atm!
The QN95A has 4 HDMI 2.1 on the connect box. :lollipop_grinning:

Qned sounds like the holy grail.
----
Finally getting geek squad to come out and look at my A8h with its dark streaks going down it... Sony denied me so they'll never get a dime through me directly at least maybe through a BB warranty or something lol. But I can't get the A90J since it's too expensive vs. my A8h.

I'm in the same boat. Do I get a 55' C1 with an extended warranty thus pushing me beyond what I want to pay? Or play panel lottery with a 55' QN90A? Hmmm ...

I can give you some info on the QN90A as it relates to HDMI. An AV YouTube guy that goes by Stop The FOMO, did a video on this. Basically, all the HDMI ports are capable of 4K/120/VRR/HDR. The only difference is the official 2.1 port is capable of 10-bit HDR at 120, while the other three can only do 8-bit HDR at 120. As long as your not playing at 120, than the other three ports can do 10 bit HDR.
Manufacturers are allowed to play a little bit fast and loose with 2.1 features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom