• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

The cinematic movement setting on the c1 is pretty damn good. I hate stutter and soe but that setting is a great compromise. Smoothes out motion with no artifacts that I can see and very little soe.
Yeah LG really did an amazing job with their motion interpolation this year. They improved while Sony went backwards it seems (in terms of Sony's motion with interpolation turned off this year).

I think Sony's going to get slapped around a bit if they don't change a few things, because when LG oled gets a heatsink i'll struggle to think of a reason to get the Sony currently. All LG needs is a heatsink and better QC for the panels which will trickle down to all other oleds.

Last edited:
Yeah LG really did an amazing job with their motion interpolation this year. They improved while Sony went backwards it seems (in terms of Sony's motion with interpolation turned off this year).

I think Sony's going to get slapped around a bit if they don't change a few things, because when LG oled gets a heatsink i'll struggle to think of a reason to get the Sony currently. All LG needs is a heatsink and better QC for the panels which will trickle down to all other oleds.

The only complaint I’ve seen is how Sony handles near blacks. They changed their approach this year.

The only complaint I’ve seen is how Sony handles near blacks. They changed their approach this year.
Well from what I’ve seen on the XR processors, due to the AI picking and choosing what to enhance, some images actually look worse compared to the old Sony X1 processors. Or there’s a kind of depth of field effect where there wouldn’t normally be.

The only other thing I’ve seen is the motion being more juddery at least without interpolation on.

The A90J is definitely the best oled in terms of hdr and reliability (probably) but ever since 2018 Sony has been sliding backwards on a number of things. I’m saying these things more out of frustration about what their TVs could be if they tried like they did in 2016/17.

I promise this is not sour grapes, because the A90J is still the best oled.

Last edited:
Well from what I’ve seen on the XR processors, due to the AI picking and choosing what to enhance, some images actually look worse compared to the old Sony X1 processors. Or there’s a kind of depth of field effect where there wouldn’t normally be.

The only other thing I’ve seen is the motion being more juddery at least without interpolation on.

The A90J is definitely the best oled in terms of hdr and reliability (probably) but ever since 2018 Sony has been sliding backwards on a number of things. I’m saying these things more out of frustration about what their TVs could be if they tried like they did in 2016/17.

I promise this is not sour grapes, because the A90J is still the best oled.

interesting, I normally follow AVSforum. They all seem to love the XR processor

Last edited:
interesting, I normally follow AVSforum. They all seem to love the XR processor
It seems like a nice step up in terms of hdr, but a mixed bag elsewhere. But I have no first hand experience just what I’ve seen and read.

Having used TVs with the x1, x1 extreme and x1 ultimate I can honestly say the x1 extreme is the best in my experience. But it had more lag than the other 2 in game mode. The new XR would definitely show hdr highlights better compared to x1 extreme.

Funny thing mate, I said I was getting c1 but Best Buy sold me the qn90a for 1500 plus a $200 gift card so I couldn’t refuse lol. Said I could get it and they’d reimburse the difference when they pick up the A8h.

Man I just want peace of mind and oled doesn’t give me that. Hope we get good panels!

Good luck with your TV, it's an amazing product and I hope you'll will the panel lottery.
Update: Early testing does show what I'm assuming is average DSE. Funny thing is, it seems like after playing Control on my Series X for a while, the DSE reduced a bit? It's kind of hard to tell. I did the DSE test right out of the box so maybe a break-in period is needed? Very slight vignette at the corners but nowhere near enough to bother me. Little fumbling with the settings to properly dial things in so not quite there yet.

Outside that, the TV is hella bright. Crazy bright. HDR and colors absolutely pop. It's lush. Blooming seems minimal to my eyes. Will still have to check out some more games/content, though. Overall, I'm having a positive experience with the TV. Will have 15 more days to think it over.

OZ9000

Banned
Does anyone have settings for the LG C1?

Out of the box settings look awful. In some ways, the actual image looks inferior compared to my Sony XH90 (to which the settings are calibrated nicely).

Ulysses 31

Out of the box settings look awful. In some ways, the actual image looks inferior compared to my Sony XH90 (to which the settings are calibrated nicely).
Assuming C1 is very similar to a CX:

Game HDR(what I use for PC, XSX and PS5 gaming)
OLED light: 100(energy saving on auto will disable this)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 15
Color: 70

Advanced
Dynamic contrast: Medium
Dynamix Tone Mapping: Om
Superresolution: Off
Color Gamut: Wide

Whitebalans
Colortemperature: Cool/Medium

Picture Options
Blacklevels: Auto

For movies/TV I use modified IFS(dark room) settings.

I'm a Samsung dude so I prefer brightness and popping colors over accuracy though.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Check out page 1 of the c1/g1 owners thread on avs forum. Ctm has great settings. I'm completely satisfied with them and I'm coming from a professionally calibrated display.

Last edited:

nowhat

Do you use BFI or not? I traditionally disable all the image "enhancing" functions (with game mode it's pretty much automatic anyway), but apparently it should be a good thing with games and other fast moving images. And doesn't (with a recent and decent enough TV) add that much input lag. But at least on an LG CX, setting it (OLED motion) to high makes the picture way too dark, the peak brightness isn't great to begin with. And parts of the TV UI (if the element has a light background) seems to flicker a bit if set to high. I'm assuming this would apply to the video signal too, but it's too dark, wouldn't use it anyway.

Medium or low is better when it comes to brightness. But does it do anything substantial otherwise? Well... to be honest, I've never had that much of an issue with motion clarity without BFI. I guess it can look a bit smoother in motion? Or maybe it's just placebo? I know I should probably just trust my eyes and go with whatever I find the most pleasing, but... I don't trust my eyes that much. Or that other people have better eyes, especially when it comes to this kind of stuff.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do you use BFI or not? I traditionally disable all the image "enhancing" functions (with game mode it's pretty much automatic anyway), but apparently it should be a good thing with games and other fast moving images. And doesn't (with a recent and decent enough TV) add that much input lag. But at least on an LG CX, setting it (OLED motion) to high makes the picture way too dark, the peak brightness isn't great to begin with. And parts of the TV UI (if the element has a light background) seems to flicker a bit if set to high. I'm assuming this would apply to the video signal too, but it's too dark, wouldn't use it anyway.

Medium or low is better when it comes to brightness. But does it do anything substantial otherwise? Well... to be honest, I've never had that much of an issue with motion clarity without BFI. I guess it can look a bit smoother in motion? Or maybe it's just placebo? I know I should probably just trust my eyes and go with whatever I find the most pleasing, but... I don't trust my eyes that much. Or that other people have better eyes, especially when it comes to this kind of stuff.
No. I find no point in using bfi. There is a barely any ghosting as is

Amaranty

I keep it disabled. It darkens the image, increases input lag and also causes flickering, which strains my eyes.

It doesn't seem to add a lot of benefit. I tried it in FF VII Remake on PS4 at the highest setting. It does clear up motion a bit and reduces motion stutter, but it's not worth it in my opinion.

Red-Town

After my 3 year old LG B7 had some pretty bad burn in (could see the Destiny 2 hud permanately burned in lol) I picked up the LG G1 today, anyone recommend settings to take advantage of the PS5?

BFI makes a big difference in terms of image smoothness, at least on my Sony oled. On my LCD the difference is absolutely massive comparing on vs. off. On oled, if a game is 30fps, I don't see much difference, but in 60fps games I do notice the difference. On my Bravia x900e even 30fps looks far smoother with it on.

The flicker you're seeing is the 60hz bfi ; you want 120hz for no visible flicker. BFI brightness shouldn't be an issue for SDR, only HDR where you want those highlights. But even then I leave BFI on unless I want the lowest possible lag in a particular game. The lag hit for BFI on oled should be 8ms, and on LCD there shouldn't be a lag hit at all.

To be honest oled I've promoted for a very long time, will get cheaper. And will one day surpass even microled, as I believe the day may come when cells are introduced that self repair the material, making the tv able to use energy to recycle components and last for hundreds or thousands of years. The cells metabolism would lower significantly when not performing maintenance, you'd be surprised how low cellular metabolism can go.(it is what i've advocated for 3d bio printing of organs, alter cellular metabolic rate to reduce need for nutrient waste exchange.)
How is an OLED for playing 2D fighters and watching anime (some SD some HD)?
OLED is current best possible picture, with individual per pixel lighting. Recent versions have upped brightness significantly, and some newer tvs like the sonys have AI tech to uprez or upscale SD content.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Guys, how can i make 30 fps smoother in general for gaming?Im using the Game Preset. Im playing Quamtum Break on the SeX and 60 fps isnt a thing yet. More than happy to take a image/quality hit if it smoother.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Guys, how can i make 30 fps smoother in general for gaming?Im using the Game Preset. Im playing Quamtum Break on the SeX and 60 fps isnt a thing yet. More than happy to take a image/quality hit if it smoother.
Go out of game mode and mess with trumotion settings and deal with a little more input lag.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not really up to date on this...

What is going on with Dolby Vision for the CX? I read that there was an update coming for it? My TV had a firmware update a few days ago but it seems like the Dolby Vision stuff isn't sorted yet.

Last edited:

nowhat

So if this is a silly question, but I'm not really up to date on this...

What is going on with Dolby Vision for the CX? I read that there was an update coming for it? My TV had a firmware update a few days ago but it seems like the Dolby Vision stuff isn't sorted yet.
I don't have any Dolby Vision capable HDMI source, but both Netflix and Amazon have played it back just fine since I've owned a CX (April last year).

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I don't have any Dolby Vision capable HDMI source, but both Netflix and Amazon have played it back just fine since I've owned a CX (April last year).
Yes, so that's partly why I'm also confused.

I've had Netflix playback in Dolby Vision. But on the settings in the XSX it says the TV is not capable of Dolby Vision...

AGRacing

Thank you, I'll give it a go tonight.
wfUmF40.jpg

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
y9S7ndY.jpg

Just joined the OLED club after two failed attempts with a Samsung QN90A. Absolute jaw dropping depth. 55' LG C1.

Welcome to the club, defo recommend you check out the 4K rip of Blade, its absolutely incredible looking on my CX, still cant get over how fucking good a 20y.o. movie looks, especially the blood and HDR highlights

Ulysses 31

I’m getting the 48in c1 in September my room isn’t that big so 48 is perfect,the burn in scares me a little tho.

Don't worry about burn ins. I have a three year old B7 65" and got zero burn ins. And I've played _alot_ of Diablo 3 with static visuals.
I noticed burn in from playing Hyrule Warriors and Dark Souls after 2 years on my LG EF950V, played both for over 200h, it is something to worry about. Less so with modern OLEDs but I still wouldn't recommend playing grindy games on them.

s-bojan

Banned
How is an OLED for playing 2D fighters and watching anime (some SD some HD)?
It's great as the games look excellent and input lag is low.
However, there is a lot of static content there (health/stun bars) which could be problematic if you play those games all the time.

Don't worry about burn ins. I have a three year old B7 65" and got zero burn ins. And I've played _alot_ of Diablo 3 with static visuals.
I noticed burn in from playing Hyrule Warriors and Dark Souls after 2 years on my LG EF950V, played both for over 200h, it is something to worry about. Less so with modern OLEDs but I still wouldn't recommend playing grindy games on them.
The one thing I'll always tell someone if they are planning on buying an OLED is this: get the warranty. If you live in North America, get your OLED from Best Buy and purchase the five year warranty. It added $325 to my purchase, which is a lot considering how much it already goes for, but it buys piece of mind. OLED will always burn-in at some point. It's cumulative. The way I game and the content my girlfriend and I typically watch on YouTube will cause it eventually. Three years down the line maybe? Who knows. At least I'm covered and don't have to think about it. I've read too many stories of people buying OLED and 2 - 3.5 years down the line they get bad burn-in and are shit out of luck.

Again, if you're thinking of buying OLED, get it from Best Buy and bite the bullet on the extra cost for the warranty. They're the only ones that will cover burn-in. You either get a new panel or your money back (not including cost of warranty).

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The one thing I'll always tell someone if they are planning on buying an OLED is this: get the warranty. If you live in North America, get your OLED from Best Buy and purchase the five year warranty. It added $325 to my purchase, which is a lot considering how much it already goes for, but it buys piece of mind. OLED will always burn-in at some point. It's cumulative. The way I game and the content my girlfriend and I typically watch on YouTube will cause it eventually. Three years down the line maybe? Who knows. At least I'm covered and don't have to think about it. I've read too many stories of people buying OLED and 2 - 3.5 years down the line they get bad burn-in and are shit out of luck.

Again, if you're thinking of buying OLED, get it from Best Buy and bite the bullet on the extra cost for the warranty. They're the only ones that will cover burn-in. You either get a new panel or your money back (not including cost of warranty).
Gonna be picking up the 65 lg c1 from Best Buy in a few weeks will also be getting the warranty

MadPanda

Banned
Interesting, aren't many high end phone screens oled? I've never had an issue on my phone while playing videos.
Most of the time yes they are. I've never had issues on YouTube either. As I said, the only time I had issue with that was in planet earth 2, but other people apparently have more frequent issues with that or they're simply more sensitive to it. The problem is how modern TVs work and how fast oled is. LCDs are prone to the same issue but due to their slower response time they get blur and you don't suffer from stutter like you do on oled.

Welcome to the club, defo recommend you check out the 4K rip of Blade, its absolutely incredible looking on my CX, still cant get over how fucking good a 20y.o. movie looks, especially the blood and HDR highlights
Looking back on the Samsung QN90A, it had amazing bright performance, but ultimately, to me at least, came off as a one trick pony. Not to mention all the vertical banding and DSE plaguing Samsung sets. Two main reasons why I tried two of them and decided not to play panel lottery anymore and go OLED. I'm still glad I went with the Samsung first though. Now I know for sure it's not for me. The C1 has a depth in dark, and more mixed content, that the Samsung can't touch. Movies look far better to my eyes on the C1 too. In many scenes with the QN90A the local dimming would lag. Annoying stuff. The QN90A is still solid overall but C1 looks next level.

This guy's videos demonstrates well what I'm talking about. Samsung's got the nice bright punch when you need it but OLED takes the crown everywhere else.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Has anyone here order a tv from best to be delivered to their house if so how was the experience?

Has anyone here order a tv from best to be delivered to their house if so how was the experience?
Geek squad delivered the ones I’ve ordered, always got good looking boxes. But I’m 3 minutes away from my local BB, not sure if geek squad delivers if you’re far away.

Most of the time yes they are. I've never had issues on YouTube either. As I said, the only time I had issue with that was in planet earth 2, but other people apparently have more frequent issues with that or they're simply more sensitive to it. The problem is how modern TVs work and how fast oled is. LCDs are prone to the same issue but due to their slower response time they get blur and you don't suffer from stutter like you do on oled.
That’s why you should use motion interpolation on oled. For the record, a fast lcd screen will stutter as well, just not quite as much.

Top Bottom