• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Whitecrow

Banned
I tried that warm 50 for the series X after watching a few tips on Youtube, I found it too.. warm, I guess. I plonked it back up to 0, found it much clearer personally.
Once you get used to it, you'll start seeing everything else blue.

Cooler colors may pop a bit more but also makes the image look less natural.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I tried that warm 50 for the series X after watching a few tips on Youtube, I found it too.. warm, I guess. I plonked it back up to 0, found it much clearer personally.
I was a dirty Cool watcher for awhile but eventually I started sliding that color back to warm. I still cant do Warm 50 but I have moved away from Cool.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah I was the same but warm50 is great. Your eyes will thank you and it's more accurate

Killer8

I go for Warm 40 instead of 50. Warm 50 apparently adds too much green to the spectrum, which is much more noticeable than too much blue. Warm 50 is supposedly more 'accurate', but you end up with whites that look like ancient papyrus. I say to hell with the autistic obsession over accuracy and go with the setting that to my eyes actually makes whites look white.

dotnotbot

I'm sure there is some science behind why D65 is a widely accepted standard in movie industry. At the same time, most games aren't mastered as well as movies (to put it very lightly) so I'm not sure if D65 is "correct" for all of them. Seems like some of the game studios don't even bother to calibrate their displays.

Still, I'm keeping it on warm 2 always as that's the only setting that looks natural to me after I got used to it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm sure there is some science behind why D65 is a widely accepted standard in movie industry. At the same time, most games aren't mastered as well as movies (to put it very lightly) so I'm not sure if D65 is "correct" for all of them. Seems like some of the game studios don't even bother to calibrate their displays.
When you look at some behind the scenes for example of Death Stranding, You can see they are all working on Dell ultrasharp monitors (so not great) and there is a huge TV for Hideo to show/test stuff.
edit: for Hideo, that TV is Sony I noticed. So I bet some highest sony model... and I bet it all depends if it ships with d65 or something else by default :p Dell monitors can be as blue as a day sky by default lol

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

Still, I'm keeping it on warm 2 always as that's the only setting that looks natural to me after I got used to it.
D65 tries to match the displays pure white with the real white on sunlight. It's more of a thing for photography, to match what you see on screen with what will be printed.

Not really for me where there's a reality outside the screen where whites don't have a yellow tint.
First rule: do what looks good to you.

The blanket warm cranked to 11 suggestions are only good if your white balance isn’t fucked, which it is for TVs like the C1. When calibrators/reviewers recommend these settings, it's because it's closest to D65, not exact. Here's how (in)accurate a C1 can be with Expert Warm 50 (note color and white balance dE should be close to zero, or at least lower than 3 to not be noticeable without side by side comparisons):

ZzxcYOp.png

CyBDsps.png

Even my A90 (which is “master series” and calibrated to 6700k with a very low delta error on the white balance/colors out of the box) had a red push/tint in the brighter whites that I had to fix.

Try Warm 50 and drop the R/G-gain a couple clicks to balance out the yellow. It won’t be “reference accurate” but you should see a big improvement in greens/reds/skin tones w/ a warmer color temperature.

Or don't, it's your TV.

Last edited:
how does QD-OLED compare to MicroLED? Is there a comparison article/video? 2022 is going to be a fantastic year!
Micro LED will exclusively be for filthy rich people for a long time. As for performance, it gets insanely bright and maintains fantastic color volume at those extreme brightness levels. Fantastic motion handling too. Still struggling to make them smaller for regular sized living spaces. Have questions about its power consumption and heat output...

Interestingly the only reason why Samsung finally started showing off QD-OLED is because of their sister company Samsung Display. Samsung Electronics agreed to sell and advertise (barely) QD-OLED because Samsung Display agreed to manufacture some parts for micro LED. Micro LED is Samsung Electronics special project, while QD-OLED and QNED (quantum nano emitting diode) belong to Samsung Display. Samsung Display has been trying to sell QD-OLED to Samsung Electronics for a long time but Samsung Electronics were not happy with the brightness. Not to mention they've always bashed OLED and had their own pet project in micro LED.

Anyway, expect QD-OLED to be the next gold standard in display technology. I'm expecting Sony's QD-OLED to retail at $8k for the 65'. Hopefully prices will fall fast on QD-OLED. Economies of scale and all. All the benefits of traditional OLED but with potentially higher peak brightness, greater color volume, and significantly reduced chances of burn-in. I'm in. In the meantime, I will enjoy gaming on my LG C1.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Has anyone with a UK CX installed firmware 04.30.55? Mines popping up wanting to update but I haven't yet until I see some reviews or even a list of what it's done, I sure as shit don't want that new fullscreen OS layout and so far my TV is doing everything perfectly so I'd hate for it to break something

MadPanda

Banned
Has anyone with a UK CX installed firmware 04.30.55? Mines popping up wanting to update but I haven't yet until I see some reviews or even a list of what it's done, I sure as shit don't want that new fullscreen OS layout and so far my TV is doing everything perfectly so I'd hate for it to break something

You aren't getting that new UI with any of the firmware as LG doesn't update UI so you don't need to worry. I've installed it and as usual, I don't see any difference.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Not in the UK but I've installed it on two TVs without issue.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Micro LED will exclusively be for filthy rich people for a long time. As for performance, it gets insanely bright and maintains fantastic color volume at those extreme brightness levels. Fantastic motion handling too. Still struggling to make them smaller for regular sized living spaces. Have questions about its power consumption and heat output...

Interestingly the only reason why Samsung finally started showing off QD-OLED is because of their sister company Samsung Display. Samsung Electronics agreed to sell and advertise (barely) QD-OLED because Samsung Display agreed to manufacture some parts for micro LED. Micro LED is Samsung Electronics special project, while QD-OLED and QNED (quantum nano emitting diode) belong to Samsung Display. Samsung Display has been trying to sell QD-OLED to Samsung Electronics for a long time but Samsung Electronics were not happy with the brightness. Not to mention they've always bashed OLED and had their own pet project in micro LED.

Anyway, expect QD-OLED to be the next gold standard in display technology. I'm expecting Sony's QD-OLED to retail at $8k for the 65'. Hopefully prices will fall fast on QD-OLED. Economies of scale and all. All the benefits of traditional OLED but with potentially higher peak brightness, greater color volume, and significantly reduced chances of burn-in. I'm in. In the meantime, I will enjoy gaming on my LG C1.

My next tv has to be a 90+ inch 8K QD-OLED, but the most I'll pay for it is 6K. I'm hoping there will be 100+ inch models by then. I'm hoping within the next 4-5 years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Guys. Hgig vs DTM on God of War ?
Anyone had a chance already to compare PC to ps5 GOW hdr implementation ?

Sleepwalker

November last year I picked up an A1 55 inch panel (yes I know, but it was cheap, around 750 usd) and it instantly ruined my other tv so I sold it for pennies and just picked up a C1 55 inch panel for just under 1k usd, around 950 ish when converted.

Can't wait, gonna hook up this bad boy to the PC and the Series X, will keep the PS5 on the A1 in a different room most likely.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
November last year I picked up an A1 55 inch panel (yes I know, but it was cheap, around 750 usd) and it instantly ruined my other tv so I sold it for pennies and just picked up a C1 55 inch panel for just under 1k usd, around 950 ish when converted.

Can't wait, gonna hook up this bad boy to the PC and the Series X, will keep the PS5 on the A1 in a different room most likely.
You have it already ?! How do you find it compared to a1 ?
c1 is 120, have better speakers, stand and is a bit brighter.

btw - to other people here: What input label mode you are using for ps5 ? console or pc ? I've heard console mode is a bit brighter. I don't see 422 in any of the modes unless tv ad ps5 reports wrongly

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

btw - to other people here: What input label mode you are using for ps5 ? console or pc ? I've heard console mode is a bit brighter. I don't see 422 in any of the modes unless tv ad ps5 reports wrongly
I believe I just use hdmi input label for ps5 and use game mode for games. The reason for this is I still play the odd blu ray and 4k disc and it gives me more picture options because it auto-detects its not a game. I can't speak if it's brighter or not in games vs pc mode but I thought I saw on avsforums that the banding that could happen in game mode has been greatly reduced so pc mode was no longer necessary.

Last edited:
So Gran Turismo 7 is coming out soon, which is the reason I bought a PS5 a year ago. I’ve only got one TV, and I’ve been happily gaming on it since 2015 - a Panasonic 55” VT60 plasma. As far as picture goes, I think it’s still an amazing TV with plenty of life left in it.

I don’t like to be a massive consumerist (hypocritical of me sometimes though) and only upgrade when I really need to, but fuck me don’t OLEDs and their infinite blacks look good, and my current TV is still 1080p. I know OLEDs are superior for contrast to Plasma (which by the way is already very good and kills LED) but my real issue is how superior and worth forking out the cash and putting a perfectly good TV to pasture superior?

Has anyone here gone from plasma to OLED? What was the biggest noticeable difference? Also does 4K even matter? I sit about 2.5-3 meters from a 55” screen and 1080p looks damn crisp to me.

I know this question gets asked a million times too and I think it’s pretty rare on newer sets but should I worry about burn in? For the record my plasma has no burn on from doing a screen test after 6.5 years, but it does get image retention a bit from gaming that usually disappears after mixing up content. I live in Australia and not aware of any retailer that gives burn in warranty.

Sleepwalker

Arrives within the next couple days, can't wait! lol

Finally replaced my Samsung NU8005 for a LG 65” G1. Though I’m still impressed with this huuuge upgrade I’m really missing the Steam Link app from the old Samsung

Last edited:
Seems the A95k sony QDoled might only be 3 grand… it’s definitely on my radar now.

It just needs to A. get motion right and B. not be a uniformity shit show like LG oled and I will consider buying it.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
4 hdmi ports but only 2 are 2.1 ports.

Would work for me as I only have a ps5 and PC, no series x so I only need 2 ports.

2023 sony sets ought to have 4 2.1 ports when they start using the newer mediatek hdmi chip.
That’s a no go for me then

dotnotbot

That’s a no go for me then
This one works well apparently. Requirememt of 4x 2.1 ports limits you to LG and some higher-end Samsung models only.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Just bought a 65" C1. Any settings people recommend turning off/on Immediately?
Most definitely pixel shift on and the Logo Luminance inset to high, these are both to protect from burn in. Another thing I do, is turn the OLED light down to 50, and the brightness to around 52. Good luck with your new tv. I own a 77” GX, and it’s the best tv I’ve ever owned period.

Top Bottom