• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Fbh

Finally got my C1.
Got home to set it up kinda late yesterday and I work on Saturdays so I didn't get to play around with it a whole lot but from what i did it was really impressed. Going from a 10 years old 1080p LCD to this really feels like a massive improvement, like to the point that the games I tried out almost looked like they got a generational leap.

With that said I did want to ask what settings other C1 owners are using for gaming. Didn't really like the game mode picture out of the box but after playing around with the settings a bit and following some recommendations I saw online I think I'm nearing my sweet spot, the one thing I'm still a bit confused about is that game mode seems slightly dimmer than the other modes? When switching from game mode to, say, standard I find the image to be a tad brighter even though the brightness setting is set to the same as game mode.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Finally got my C1.
Got home to set it up kinda late yesterday and I work on Saturdays so I didn't get to play around with it a whole lot but from what i did it was really impressed. Going from a 10 years old 1080p LCD to this really feels like a massive improvement, like to the point that the games I tried out almost looked like they got a generational leap.

With that said I did want to ask what settings other C1 owners are using for gaming. Didn't really like the game mode picture out of the box but after playing around with the settings a bit and following some recommendations I saw online I think I'm nearing my sweet spot, the one thing I'm still a bit confused about is that game mode seems slightly dimmer than the other modes? When switching from game mode to, say, standard I find the image to be a tad brighter even though the brightness setting is set to the same as game mode.
Game mode is a tad dimmer. Make sure your firmware is updated. It was improved but its always going to be a bit dimmer because of the lack of image processing in game mode.

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Game mode is a tad dimmer. Make sure your firmware is updated. It was improved but its always going to be a bit dimmer because of the lack of image processing in game mode.

Thx, I keep forgetting you can update these new TV's lol.

Do you also know if those "game genre" presets you get in the game optimizer just change those black and white levels you can also adjust manually? or is there more to it?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Do you also know if those "game genre" presets you get in the game optimizer just change those black and white levels you can also adjust manually? or is there more to it?
Leave those at default. Unless you're using vrr. If not they would only harm your picture. Either crush blacks or blowout whites.

Reactions: Fbh
have had a CX in my bedroom for over a year now but went and bought a C1 for the living room the other day :messenger_tears_of_joy: i can't tell the difference between them in terms of picture/sound quality or even design (at least from the front). the C1 has a different finish on the back of the panel. otherwise the biggest differences are that the C1 has a different version of webOS and a different remote.

i paid £1,600 for the CX in September 2020 and the C1 cost £1,300. got both covered with 5 year warranty which cost £140 and they were both delivered next day for £20 so total costs where £1,780 (CX) and £1,460 (C1). I'm in the UK and got both TVs from John Lewis who have a 5 year warranty but the optional 5 year warranty covers accidental damage and screen burn in. Also, with the C1 i'll be getting a £100 gift card sent to me so that's great. I'm sure i'll find something on John Lewis to buy :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

regarding burn in and having used the CX for 13 months....absolutely none. still looks just as good as it did out the box. these are the best TV's i've ever owned and would hate to go back to standard LED or even QLED. also, the most i ever paid for a TV was £580 back in 2009. so yeah, dropping £3,200 on 2 TVs in the space of 13 months...i think they are good :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited by a moderator:

tommib

I watch a lot of black and white blu-rays. Are OLED worst for those? I see everyone talking about how colours pop-up. Just wondering how OLED treats black and white.

I watch a lot of black and white blu-rays. Are OLED worst for those? I see everyone talking about how colours pop-up. Just wondering how OLED treats black and white.
You'll want lcd for that use case. Oled has issues with near black and also compressed blacks. With compressed blacks like in those movies, you will see flashing as the white sub pixel goes on and off not knowing quite what to do.

Or, depending on if you can wait, and your budget, samsung qd oled may not have this issue next year. But that is going to be pricy.

Not to mention, maybe just maybe, sony mini led next year.

bargeparty

What a weird thing, I checked this thread, watched that video someone posted above, then did my own little check, then decided to check my black (brightness) levels and found that my nvidia settings reset everything so my tv and pc hdmi video range setting didn't match (tv is auto, not sure why it wasn't matching to the pc out, but whatever).

Anyway, Sony A8H here, had about a year with about 5400 hours on it, gaming, desktop/browsing use, streaming movies/shows, no TV logo bullshit, zero burn-in that I can see. And I'm talking games with huds for hours and hours. Not like 800 hours in one particular game, but many hours with different games. Even leaving the desktop with chrome open, taskbar visible (though I use dark mode stuff where possible).

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

What test are you talking about? The system menu? I haven't installed the update yet and you're the first one I saw mention that.

Thanks.
Im using it as a PC monitor, i meant everywhere. In my browser all the lines are noticeably cleaner and sharper maybe mines was bugged before it looks so nice now.

bargeparty

Lol I have 2500 hours in 1 year

Why does everyone misunderstand what he's saying. He hasn't put 3000 hours on the tv over 3 years, that's just a timeframe he used as an example to show maybe, maybe, average use. His usage was "higher" reaching 3000 hours after a year.

Mine is only 5400 after a year because I leave it on while I sleep and it's almost never off during the weekends.

mitchman

Gold Member
Im using it as a PC monitor, i meant everywhere. In my browser all the lines are noticeably cleaner and sharper maybe mines was bugged before it looks so nice now.
Sounds like you've been using it as 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4, what you describe is typical for that. Just make sure you enable Ultra HD Deep Color for the input and set the input as a PC input. I use mine at 4k@120Hz connected to a RX 6900XT, never had an issue before or after the update.

Noxxera

Banned
I imagine like OLED would be really good for black/white stuff.. And the colors definitely doesn't pop as much on my C9 compared to the LED I have

dotnotbot

It's great as long as you get tint-free panel. Might be a challenge on 65" panels, especially Evo.

Arioco

Guys, do any of you know if it's possible to use the SONY Pulse 3D headset on a LG CX? With any adapter or something?

I'm looking for a headset than can be used for PS5 and the TV itself, but there has been no luck so far. I need your wisdom. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Amaranty

You'll want lcd for that use case. Oled has issues with near black and also compressed blacks. With compressed blacks like in those movies, you will see flashing as the white sub pixel goes on and off not knowing quite what to do.

Or, depending on if you can wait, and your budget, samsung qd oled may not have this issue next year. But that is going to be pricy.

Not to mention, maybe just maybe, sony mini led next year.
I finished watching The Lighthouse (4:3 format, black and white) on Netflix today. It was in regular HD quality (no HDR). I thought it looked great. I also watched Schindler's List on Netflix (also regular HD) and it was also fine.

I didn't notice any problems.

Last edited:

I'd like to add, if you're using the TV speakers, set the sound to cinema. I just find that it makes games sound so much more full. I have cinema on outside of game mode too. As for picture, I just leave it on ISF Bright.

I finished watching The Lighthouse (4:3 format, black and white) on Netflix today. It was in regular HD quality (no HDR). I thought it looked great. I also watched Schindler's List on Netflix (also regular HD) and it was also fine.

I didn't notice any problems.
Just because you didn’t notice doesn’t mean there wasn’t near black flashing that you don’t get on lcd. Look up near black flashing.

For the record I watched black and white films on oled too, (and notice near black flashing) and oled isn’t the best for that use case. If tommib tommib watches more black and white films than anything, no reason to choose oled, is all i’m saying.

Last edited:

Amaranty

Just because you didn’t notice doesn’t mean there wasn’t near black flashing that you don’t get on lcd. Look up near black flashing.

For the record I watched black and white films on oled too, (and notice near black flashing) and oled isn’t the best for that use case. If tommib tommib watches more black and white films than anything, no reason to choose oled, is all i’m saying.
I've only noticed near black flashing in one game, but never in movies or tv shows. Guess I've been lucky in that regard.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Anyone have a CX or C1 hooked up to a PC that is also running a monitor?

Whenever I switch displays from my 1440p monitor to the TV i have to restart my PC or else the colors are all washed out and dim looking. I assume it’s a windows issue going between the 2 resolutions but it’s kinda annoying.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just a little tip regarding gradient banding.
You might want to enable film grain in some games that show significant banding.
That's because proper film grain will act as dithering and smooth out the color transitions.

So far, I've noticed it works great in Demons Souls and Resident Evil 2 (at least as I tested on pc)

ElCasual ElCasual how do You like your new tv ?!

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
When you buy an LG keep in mind the service is pretty poor. I have 2 older LG OLEDs, both were ruined and customer service pretty much ignores you unless you constantly spam them.

mitchman

Gold Member
Provided QD-OLEDs are as good as they seem (reviews will tell), this technology will be my next TV. I can still hang in this thread, right? :)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My C1 65 inch comes on Monday. What does game mode actually do?
Minimizes input lag. Absolutely use it for games. Luckily the consoles know when you have a blu ray in or whatever and game mode won't be active then when you might want a bit more picture processing.

Last edited:

amigastar

So whats next in the monitor/tv development? What are the trends for the next years? Maybe OLED type displays which don't burn in somehow?

Last edited:

GasTheWeebs

Banned
IPS with 384 dimming zones peasant here.

Do you guy know if the Acer Predator CG48 will be better than de LG C1? I don't see much difference looking at the specs, LG C1 seems to have everything.
Even de LG has better HDR, the only advantage I see from the Acer is the GSYNC Ultimate..

Is Acer a scammer or LG just too generous?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
IPS with 384 dimming zones peasant here.

Do you guy know if the Acer Predator CG48 will be better than de LG C1? I don't see much difference looking at the specs, LG C1 seems to have everything.
Even de LG has better HDR, the only advantage I see from the Acer is the GSYNC Ultimate..

Is Acer a scammer or LG just too generous?
I don't know but I bet LG got better speakers, burn in handling and generally OSD software.
And the Acer is apparently.. matte ?! yuck.

The specs are wrong on that site. C1 got 2x28w speakers. not 2x10... so it's not trustworthy anyway

Top Bottom