• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

Kyle Seager torn ACL. FUCK.

To make myself feel better I looked at the Goldschmidt trade:

STL
Goldschmidt 3.6 WAR
Ziegler -0.5 WAR
Hill 0.0 WAR
Total: 3.1 WAR

ARI
Wong 1.6 WAR
Adams 2.4 WAR
Gonzales 0.1 WAR
Sierra (1.3 WAR in A ball)
Bryan (1.1 WAR between A/AA in Ari organization)
Total: 4.1 WAR

STL
Goldschmidt 0.7 (projected for 10.1!!!)
Ziegler FA
Hill with Mil

Wong 0.8 (projected for 10.8)
Adams 0.6 (7.4)
Gonzales -0.1 (-1.2)

I guess it is working out okay for Rommel after all. And St Louis is 10-1 right now so they can't complain too much.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Brandon Morrow already out for 6 months lol. Dodged a bullet there.

Somehow 5-6 so far even though 6 of my guys are hitting under .200 to start the season.

How long do you have to wait to sign some of these current FAs till you dont owe draft pick compensation?

Kyle Seager torn ACL. FUCK.

To make myself feel better I looked at the Goldschmidt trade:

STL
Goldschmidt 3.6 WAR
Ziegler -0.5 WAR
Hill 0.0 WAR
Total: 3.1 WAR

ARI
Wong 1.6 WAR
Adams 2.4 WAR
Gonzales 0.1 WAR
Sierra (1.3 WAR in A ball)
Bryan (1.1 WAR between A/AA in Ari organization)
Total: 4.1 WAR

STL
Goldschmidt 0.7 (projected for 10.1!!!)
Ziegler FA
Hill with Mil

Wong 0.8 (projected for 10.8)
Adams 0.6 (7.4)
Gonzales -0.1 (-1.2)

I guess it is working out okay for Rommel after all. And St Louis is 10-1 right now so they can't complain too much.
The only major 'steal' is that Goldschmidt has a solid contract. I thought people overreacted a bit earlier on. I've solidified my 1B position for a while with a great player while Ari gets a 2B who projects to be a great player and has been trending that way.

That trade wouldn't have even happened if my owner didn't tell me to upgrade at 1B. Probably would have platooned at 1B and thrown money at Davis this off-season otherwise.

eznark

Banned
The reaction was always about the Goldy contract, it's huge to have such cost effective production at an expensive position.

brentech

8-3. Best record in AL. Best pitching in AL. Kluber and Bauer are 5-0 with 5 CGs (36 Ks, 6 BBs and 3 earned runs in 42 innings.)
Thanks!
Defensive team doing work! Glad Kluber is off to a better start the season. Bauer was a monster last year winning his first 17 starts.

Rommel

Patrick Corbin through his first 3 starts

2-0

23.2 IP
9 HA
0 ER
7 BB
27 K's

So this is what I was missing last year.

My young stud pitcher has eyes that will give you nightmare for years.

Conley.png

Untitled.png

Phenomenal leader and worker, very smart, gives 0 fucks about winning!

ryseing

Brandon Morrow already out for 6 months lol. Dodged a bullet there.

You're joking. You're fucking joking.

FUCK

According to positional rankings, you have the 8th best 3B, and the 2nd best 3B prospect, and they're the same guy.

There's one bright side. Fuck it, Gallo's starting full time.

I now need starting pitching help because my $7 million starter got injured. Profar is available- dude is 77 potential with a minimum contract.

I should have dropped Rosenthal as my closer earlier, looks like I'm back on track. Also in the battle of Wong v Goldy: Wong drops a 3 HR game and Goldschmidt gets player of the week.

e: And they're like right next to each other in a bunch of stats.

Alright Coco Crisp, I'm going to pay you to not play for me.

It ain't presonal, it's business.

Welcome to the Oakland Athletics, Ryan Howard.

I wish OOTP didn't dick me on Frazier's ratings. Rated only 29.

I feel that way about a couple of my players too. Dozier, in particular, is really underrated IMO.

If there's one thing this game is teaching me about being a GM, especially in a smaller market, is that you have to be extra smart with contracts (and get lucky) or you'll find yourself with no budget and paying scrubs good money, patiently waiting and hoping for some young guys to develop until you have any flexibility when the bad money drops off your books.

Granted, I didn't put myself into this mess, but it's easy to see how it could happen. Write a couple of big checks to guys who start declining rapidly or who were never that good to being with and you can really be painted into a pretty tight corner, unless you're able to dump salary on someone.

Edit: But I'm a patient GM, and I'm content to play the long game. Although it's easy to say when it's the game I'm forced to play. ;)

eznark

Banned
He was the 14th best third basemen by WAR last year and he is on the wrong side of 30. Owner probably wants to replace him because $3m per win is kind of high...I think.

So many high ceiling catchers in the draft pool.

I feel that way about a couple of my players too. Dozier, in particular, is really underrated IMO.

If there's one thing this game is teaching me about being a GM, especially in a smaller market, is that you have to be extra smart with contracts (and get lucky) or you'll find yourself with no budget and paying scrubs good money, patiently waiting and hoping for some young guys to develop until you have any flexibility when the bad money drops off your books.

Granted, I didn't put myself into this mess, but it's easy to see how it could happen. Write a couple of big checks to guys who start declining rapidly or who were never that good to being with and you can really be painted into a pretty tight corner, unless you're able to dump salary on someone.

Edit: But I'm a patient GM, and I'm content to play the long game. Although it's easy to say when it's the game I'm forced to play. ;)
I'm quickly learning about the importance of managing that 25 man roster. I've signed too many guys who can refuse a demotion to the minors so I'm stuck not being able to have a couple of guys I want without risking losing some other players.

I've only really got one albatross of a contract, looking at you Holliday, but I can get out of it at the end of this season which is nice. It will open up space for a young guy that I would otherwise like to have on the team. Guess he gets stuck in the minors for the majority of the season, or until Heyward gets injured again.

Yeah, Shalashaska, it's definitely a juggling act with the 25/40 man rosters, and you've got to be careful.

One funny thing I was able to do was demote Ervin Santana to AAA because I had an option year left on him. So I'm paying him $13.5 M to play in the minors until I have to eat the last couple years of this putrid contract on this putrid player.

I'm going to do the same thing with Nolasco next year, in the final year of his deal. Paying players to go away isn't always pleasant, but sometimes it's a bitter pill you have to swallow.

Or MAYBE I should pick up the team option I've got on both those guys, hrmm. :p (
And extend Mauer! Yeah!
)

eznark

Banned
Surprised Santana didn't refuse the assignment.

The beauty of building for 2020 is that I don't give a fuck if I dump bad contracts with years left!

Surprised Santana didn't refuse the assignment.

The beauty of building for 2020 is that I don't give a fuck if I dump bad contracts with years left!

Santana knows he's trash! ;) And I think we may be on the same team trajectory. I may be able to win a bit sooner than that. Buxton has started to blossom and Sano will hopefully follow soon, but I'm still short of big-league starting pitching, so I'll likely find myself coming together as a complete team around the same time.

Although by that time I will probably be hamstrung by having extended a long-term injured Buxton and a few others to ridiculous contracts. Maybe everything will come together for a 2077 Series run! :p

Rommel

Looks like everyone from the Goldy trade is tearing the cover off the ball. Yeash

Adams got a ratings bump. Even a sloth has his day it seems. Mr Low personality

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Alex Cobb out for 4 months. Thank god I stacked up on some SP depth in the offseason.

My offense is a trainwreck. Typical Rays. My OF saving my season so far, Mikie Mahtook channeling his inner Trout to start the season. And Kiermaeir on pace for like a 11 WAR season.

Alex Cobb out for 4 months. Thank god I stacked up on some SP depth in the offseason.

My offense is a trainwreck. Typical Rays. My OF saving my season so far, Mikie Mahtook channeling his inner Trout to start the season. And Kiermaeir on pace for like a 11 WAR season.

Your offense is a wreck? I think I'm like #2 in dingers and #10 or so in runs scored. My team hits solo homers and nothing else. I'm towards the bottom of the league in average.

Pyrogeek

Start building your draft lists kids. 4 sims til the draft.

Since I did not take over the Nationals until after the last draft, can you give a quick recap over how we handle it? Do we just submit our prioritized draft lists to you and you sort it out based on draft order?

BigAT

Since I did not take over the Nationals until after the last draft, can you give a quick recap over how we handle it? Do we just submit our prioritized draft lists to you and you sort it out based on draft order?

You set your draft list in game and the computer sorts it out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
At least my draft this season can't go as bad as the last season... gave Brady Aiken like 8 million and he never threw a single pitch for me before he retired. Fucking bum.

eznark

Banned
Brent,

I'll be out of town from Friday to Friday. I'll have my laptop to check updates, but I'll be on a mifi so I won't be able to upload.

Also, podcast Thursday night?

Top Bottom