• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

I was starting to doubt my head scout. He was Luhnow's boy anyway, so I shitcanned his ass and hired Josh Byrnes, just in time for the draft. And it turns out, Byrnes doesn't think I have as much elite talent as Elias did. Unsurprising.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I really wish i knew how the scouting system worked in this game. I doubt the designers understand it. I had my scout- who is rated *Outstanding* in scouting amateurs- fill out all rounds for me to see how it went. (It worked for me this year without freezing!) In the first round I have players rated as low as *23* potential on this list. WHYYYYYYYY wouldn't my scout follow his OWNNNNNN scouting ratings. He's also sprinkled in guys that are listed as *impossible* for me to sign as well as guys with a bonus demand greater than my total spending allotment for the entire draft. I said GOTDAM! There seems to be little rhyme or reason to any of it.

My scout is also Outstanding for amateurs, and he did a pretty good job filling out my draft list. First round mainly filled with guys in the 60s to 80s, lowest rating I saw was in the low 30s.

eznark

Banned
I think they fixed some of the scouting stuff in one of the various patches. At least for me, it now appeared to do it properly when I let my scout auto-fill. It had all the crazy ass "and"/"or" stuff appropriately filled out through the entire draft, That didn't happen last time. Hoping it goes better!

brentech

I think they fixed some of the scouting stuff in one of the various patches. At least for me, it now appeared to do it properly when I let my scout auto-fill. It had all the crazy ass "and"/"or" stuff appropriately filled out through the entire draft, That didn't happen last time. Hoping it goes better!

Remind me how you want the draft run.
Sim up to that day? 1 day sim thru the draft, then back to normal 7 day sims?

brentech

Simmed 7 days to June 5th.
League file will be available shortly.

This means the draft will happen tomorrow. I'll sim through the draft day for a short window so you can see who you got and make initial offers. Then we'll do 3 days sims for a couple days to ensure everyone has a chance to sign their guys.
--------------------------
IF YOU WANT ANY INPUT ON YOUR DRAFT - MAKE SURE IT GETS DONE TONIGHT OR TOMORROW MORNING
Also note that All-Star voting is now open.

Don't you still have then second most wins in the league? All the top teams have dropped some games.

He says that every advance

OOTP keeps telling me facts that haven't even happened yet! How does it know what will happen Sep 3 2015?! Lol

Oh those stats must be from the league cause I just checked and I don't think Verlander has 2000 strikeouts yet

NOOOOOOOO Shae Simmons blew a save ):

Don't you still have then second most wins in the league? All the top teams have dropped some games.

I think I've had my worst stretch in a week (2-4) since I got back

I'm probably overreacting, but at the same time, my rotation is a little shaky now that Cosart's out. I don't trust my 4 and 5 to not get shelled every time out

Also, I have so many guys in my lineup that are batting over .300 and a lot of guys having career years, it seems really weird. so I just feel like a bad stretch is a bad omen lol

Also, Washington Nationals, I saw that tanner roark is on the block? I may inquire about him

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hmmm...the game says I've downloaded the latest update, but the date still says May 29. Keeps saying there is no updated file on the server when I try to check again. Do I need to delete and redownload again?

Rommel

After his rating bump I expect .400 from Wong

WaoGb7d.png

wIRv6aL.png

Rommel

Just a tip. I was having issues with Chip Hale trying to make one of my 35 STA relievers into a starter. You can prevent that by forcing a role.

To get to that tab you go to Strategy -> Player Strategy and just drop a player down in the box to get the options. You can keep your basic team strategies while forcing a role which is nice.

GoUvE3f.png

After this last update my scout looked over my organization and I had 6 or 7 SPs in my system that were ranked in the 60-80 range in potential, and now they're ALL ranked 20. This seems absurd to me. How could a group of highly touted prospects all fall at once. This game has some real problems imo. One of the prospects is listed as the #1 overall prospect in all the minor leagues in the farm system report page. He was an 80 potential last update, now he's a 20 according to my scout. The nuts and bolts of this game just don't seem right to me.

Rommel

Did you change scouts? My scout pretty much hates all starters.

Only Kershaw has a even a potential of 80.

Highest potential in the draft was low 60's too. I think it was a product of coming from a guy who is pro what can you currently do as opposed to potential.

Did you change scouts? My scout pretty much hates all starters.

Only Kershaw has a even a potential of 80.

Highest potential in the draft was low 60's too. I think it was a product of coming from a guy who is pro what can you currently do as opposed to potential.

my scout hates all starters also. i think its because he favors ability over tools though

I did change scouts a while back, but their rating for scouting the minors are both on the high end of the scale. Regardless of the scout, I struggle to imagine that a player who is viewed by some as the top pitching prospect in all of baseball would be viewed as a scrub by ANY other scout worth his salt. That just doesn't compute to me.

I know some players play this game in a "stats-only" fashion, where scouting ratings aren't even visible, and I think there may be some merit to that approach. Even with the same scout, ratings seem to vary wildly from time to time. If scouts are that inconsistent, what purpose do they serve in the first place? Might as well throw a dart and write down the prospect rating.

I know evaluating players is an inexact science in any sport, but OOTP seems extreme in its variances IMO.

Rommel

I did change scouts a while back, but their rating for scouting the minors are both on the high end of the scale. Regardless of the scout, I struggle to imagine that a player who is viewed by some as the top pitching prospect in all of baseball would be viewed as a scrub by ANY other scout worth his salt. That just doesn't compute to me.

I know some players play this game in a "stats-only" fashion, where scouting ratings aren't even visible, and I think there may be some merit to that approach. Even with the same scout, ratings seem to vary wildly from time to time. If scouts are that inconsistent, what purpose do they serve in the first place? Might as well throw a dart and write down the prospect rating.

I know evaluating players is an inexact science in any sport, but OOTP seems extreme in its variances IMO.

That begs the question... Who you taking #1 ;)

That begs the question... Who you taking #1 ;)

Some guy who is an 80 to some and a 20 to others. ;)

Actually, it seems all my draft ratings changed after this last update too, so I think it took my new scout a while (I guess I've had him for a month or a little more of in-game time.) before he had done his work and established his player evaluations, so my draft board looked pretty bad according to this new info. So, I just did an auto-fill for all the rounds by my scout again, and I'll let the chips fall where they may.

my scout hates all starters also. i think its because he favors ability over tools though

In every other league I've made this year I've never seen starters ranked high. I think its a quirk of the game engine.

In last year's GOBL draft I got an 80 pot SS and an 75 pot 3B with my first two picks. After 1 year the third baseman is down to 74 pot. My top 3 draft picks from last year still all have the highest potential out of that class, but my fourth rounder (a guy who went in the first round in real life) is only 21 potential according to my scout and 55 potential according to GOBL. He pitched pretty well in Rookie Ball and even won ROTY award for that league, so who knows.

Potential isn't fixed anyhow, it can actually go UP. Even for older players. Logan Morrison had an awesome season last year and his potential and overall ratings increased.

brentech

That's the part that's both confusing, but I'm also okay with. I think we we just knew our scouts info was spot on all the time, there would be a lot less to any of this.

I have an active MLB pitcher rated overal 21scout/22osa....that's 6-1 right now. My scout gives him 29 potential, but OSA does say 50's potential.

Rommel

That's the part that's both confusing, but I'm also okay with. I think we we just knew our scouts info was spot on all the time, there would be a lot less to any of this.

I have an active MLB pitcher rated overal 21scout/22osa....that's 6-1 right now. My scout gives him 29 potential, but OSA does say 50's potential.

I have the same thing with Rubby De La Rosa. Some players you just have to go stat based on.

v3isbtO.png

brentech

Bout to run the draft. Want to make sure it actually uses people's data as it doesn't just sim through it like any other day.
Whoever has the first pick, could you please tell me who that pick should be so I can verify that it works and backup if not.

edit: nvm...I'm pretty damn certain it worked based on who you got and my own pick was one of my first option as well.

brentech

Simmed 2 days to June 6th.
League file will be available shortly.
THE DRAFT IS COMPLETE. Make offers on your draftees. We will be doing 3 days sims for a couple days to make sure people have a real chance to negotiate, but lets face it, make decent offers and it shouldn't be a problem unless the player has no desire to play for you.
Also note that All-Star voting is open.

Pyrogeek

I think I've had my worst stretch in a week (2-4) since I got back

I'm probably overreacting, but at the same time, my rotation is a little shaky now that Cosart's out. I don't trust my 4 and 5 to not get shelled every time out

Also, I have so many guys in my lineup that are batting over .300 and a lot of guys having career years, it seems really weird. so I just feel like a bad stretch is a bad omen lol

Also, Washington Nationals, I saw that tanner roark is on the block? I may inquire about him

He is. I am looking for a good bat in return, preferably Catcher, SS, or 2B. Let me know if you think there is an option. I am open to keeping Tanner and trading another pitching option if the deal is right, too.

Man it sucked losing my 1st round pick cause I signed Alex Gordon. I hope I at least got a couple of good players

Looks like I drafted a lot of pitchers 5 of my first 6 picks. Awesome...

I drafted a guy with 70 gap power potential, 65 power potential, 40 contact potential and 45 eye potential.

Mike Zunino 2.0

I wonder how many of the guys with 100 MPH fastballs I drafted. I put them all on my draft lists.

Top Bottom