• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

Marvie_3 said:
Found this video which should help us on defense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06bgUd-Zmqg

that's not the best advice for all situations...

if you back off and play the pass too much if they are experienced cheesers they will just fire a wrist shot over the goalie's shoulders even from bad angles and and it goes in 90% of the time

you have to kind go towards them enough to make them think their wrist shot isn't the best option. Then you can back off a bit into the passing lane.

My method is I like crowding them and bothering them with the poke check early then kind of timing it to block their pass right as it leaves their stick.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are there any good videos for deking? I still can't do them.

I couldn't find any good teaching videos online, this is the best one i guess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-76JuAtgKGA

all you really need to know is there are 5 starting positions to hold you stick

1) neutral
2) backhand
3) forehand
4) forehand curled
5) backhand one handed

once you are holding your stick at any one of these positions using the RS, press and hold LB then flick the right stick in any direction (left, right, up or down)

that does about 95% of them

you don't even need to try the other 5% ever if you need to ask for a video on how to deke at this point...

TheVisualizer said:
I couldn't find any good teaching videos online, this is the best one i guess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-76JuAtgKGA

all you really need to know is there are 5 starting positions to hold you stick

1) neutral
2) backhand
3) forehand
4) forehand curled
5) backhand one handed

once you are holding your stick at any one of these positions using the RS, press and hold LB then flick the right stick in any direction (left, right, up or down)

that does about 95% of them

you don't even need to try the other 5% ever if you need to ask for a video on how to deke at this point...

I know you deke a lot but do others? It feels like it never works out in my favor. They just seem so worthless usually.

I almost fail every 1 on 1 dekes with the LB button. I find the best time to do it is when you're on the rush and do it at the Blue Line when you see a Defenseman trying to go for the hit or poke check. It seems to force an animation lock up on the Defenseman. I've never seen the hop-flip deke work in any situation. I'll sometimes use the Bure twinkle toes deke in shootouts.

I have more success doing the toe drag deke to the inside with just the RS. Viz style of deke is entirely on a different level and for show only :p

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I know you deke a lot but do others? It feels like it never works out in my favor. They just seem so worthless usually.

you gotta recognize when to use each of them, start out working with the neutral grip deke to your backhand, you can use that to get you around people when they come to body check you hard especially when entering the O zone.

its all experience and experimenting to find good places to use them, the timing is so tough tho, and this year I seem to get some button lag when i do them most times where it takes an extra second for the deke to start which usually gets me annihilated

btw me noz and swim just saw some new EA garbage. We had a game go to OT, there was a scramble in front of our net and our goalie covered the puck completely for about 2 secs waiting for a freeze then one of their guys does a diving poke check and knocks the puck loose somehow and it goes in the net for a loss... sad stuff

TheVisualizer said:
you gotta recognize when to use each of them, start out working with the neutral grip deke to your backhand, you can use that to get you around people when they come to body check you hard especially when entering the O zone.

its all experience and experimenting to find good places to use them, the timing is so tough tho, and this year I seem to get some button lag when i do them most times where it takes an extra second for the deke to start which usually gets me annihilated

btw me noz and swim just saw some new EA garbage. We had a game go to OT, there was a scramble in front of our net and our goalie covered the puck completely for about 2 secs waiting for a freeze then one of their guys does a diving poke check and knocks the puck loose somehow and it goes in the net for a loss... sad stuff
Do you just mean, "moving the right stick to your backhand"? Just curious, because I have a tough time getting out of those situations where I'm about to get wrecked.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Do you just mean, "moving the right stick to your backhand"? Just curious, because I have a tough time getting out of those situations where I'm about to get wrecked.

just hold LB then flick the RS towards your backhand

its one of the 4 quick dekes they added last year, your guy will do a quick hop to his backhand side which can get around around people trying to bodycheck or hipcheck and it's simple to do

theres a more pronounced version too, you gotta be holding the puck out towards your forehand then hold LB and flick the stick to your backhand. That one is more risk reward, it makes you jump further to the side but it's not always easy to get the puck back as it might go off in a random direction

edit: I'll be back on in about an hour

Got the Shakes said:
I was thinking of maybe hopping online in a little bit if anyone else was going to play.

its been a ghost town online for clubs, me and noz have been on all day but no one wanted to play besides swim

TheVisualizer said:
its been a ghost town online for clubs, me and noz have been on all day but no one wanted to play besides swim

Ok. I have a little work I have to get done, but if it's a ghost town then I may not jump on until tomorrow.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nice 7-1-0 run tonight.

I was a +2 tonight. Slowly working my way back up to even. :D

Plus I got some more points so now my center is an 86 overall before boosts. :D

Marvie_3

Banned
Playoffs start tonight so the tentative roster is:

C - Noz
RW - Milly
LW - Me
LD - Viz
RD - Revenant

Next 3 in line are:
Dok
Blinding
Swim

What days/times work for everybody? I know Viz can only play earlier in the day and that would work fine for me too.

Milly79

Since I don't have a life, whenever. Are we going to do it in one sitting? I'd imagine we would have to start early because of Viz's schedule.

Revenant

I'm free in an hour for a little bit, i'm on eastern time by the way.

tuesday Im either done at 5:20 PM, but might be out by like 3:20 PM, depends if i just do my lab at home

wednesday i'm done at 12:20 PM

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly79 said:
Since I don't have a life, whenever. Are we going to do it in one sitting? I'd imagine we would have to start early because of Viz's schedule.
Yeah, we usually do our 2 games in one sitting.

i dont think it starts until 7pm

just count me out for Sept, Dok can have my spot

my schedule should be changing in a month or two, there will be plenty of other playoff games I can play in

RS4-

I can play whenever. But I don't mind sitting out as well if someone else would like to give the playoffs a shot

Marvie_3

Banned
Milly79 said:
How the hell am I a +48 and the next highest is +15.
cheese-871.gif

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Blinding said:
But I'm so inconsistent with faceoffs. D:
you'll do fine, whenever we play your % is higher than mine usually is. Also a brutal humiliating playoff loss is totally a rite of passage.

Marvie_3

Banned
Blinding said:
I'm on right now, but it's saying playoffs don't begin for another hour, and I'm pretty sure I'll be eating dinner by then so maybe around 9?
That's gonna be pushing it for me. I have to head out around 10.

Tomorrow night?

Top Bottom