• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

alatif113

GAF one day I will own this. It's beautiful.

41hj43xaKIL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Vulcain-Anniversary-Heart-Watch-280138-239LFBNC/dp/B00HMPME50

So GAF, thanks to this thread I bought my first timepiece last year:

1424365d1395157672-hamilton-open-heart-auto-orient-classic-automatic-open-heart-cdb08004b-1101-20-citytime86@3.jpg

I'm now looking for something of the opposite color, and something more casual to wear (I don't wear the Orient daily, as it's too pricey to risk wearing)

I'd love an everyday kind of watch, the NOMOS/Stowa designs are great, anything like that on the cheaper end of the scale?

StMeph

I'd love an everyday kind of watch, the NOMOS/Stowa designs are great, anything like that on the cheaper end of the scale?

Rodina is also a common homage alternative.

My personal preference for an everyday kind of watch is a non-white dial. White dials are too stark/contrasting, usually, for what I am wearing day-to-day/out-and-about. Same for polished metals. I'd prefer a matte case with a black/blue dial on a leather strap for a daily beater.

Kent Wang is a bit pricey. Any advantages over the Rodina?

Rodina is also a common homage alternative.

My personal preference for an everyday kind of watch is a non-white dial. White dials are too stark/contrasting, usually, for what I am wearing day-to-day/out-and-about. Same for polished metals. I'd prefer a matte case with a black/blue dial on a leather strap for a daily beater.

Yeah, this seems to be the go-to watch. Any downsides to it? Also, what is the difference between something like this alternative vs. the premium product?

Kent Wang is a bit pricey. Any advantages over the Rodina?

Yeah, this seems to be the go-to watch. Any downsides to it? Also, what is the difference between something like this alternative vs. the premium product?

Downsides is that you need to get it from a Chinese marketplace with probably a Chinese agent inbetween. I have no clue how the quality is. It seems a parnis type mushroom brand so quality control ccould be lacking. But that's for others to clear up.

So do we talk about it or not? :D

I am quite disappointed on my side, nothing revolutionary, a very bulky design with uninteresting lines (the edges are too 'roundish' for instance, and the overall balance is questionable on wrist), and a very limited base (iPhone users). On the plus side, I really like the customization possibilities, the 'lugged' versions, the design of the pushers, and the different price points.

Last, I personally think buying an18k gold watch with a programmed obsolescence in 2 years is a bit... Ridiculous? :D

Thoughts watch gaf?

pwack

Any recommendation for an everyday watch? Sub $350 for example.

There are tons of good watches out there at that price range. Any more specifics as to what you want?

A simple three-hand (hour, minute, second) watch? On bracelet or leather strap?

Something more complicated -- a dive watch, a chronograph (small dials to measure elapsed time like a stop watch), something plastic?

Otherwise, the answer is a Seiko.

pwack

I am quite disappointed on my side, nothing revolutionary, a very bulky design with uninteresting lines, and a very limited base (iPhone users). On the plus side, I really like the customization possibilities, the 'lugged' versions, and the different price points.

Last, I personally think buying an18k gold watch with a programmed obsolescence in 2 years is a bit... Ridiculous? :D

Thoughts watch gaf?

Agreed. I also just don't think it is that usable. Seeing all the tiny app icons on a 38/42mm screen makes it look impossible to read. Having to fidget with a crown to scroll will be awkward. And it doesn't yet do anything that interesting/not better done on my phone.

I liked this response:
So excited for the Apple Watch. For centuries, we’ve checked the time by looking at our phones. Having it on your wrist? Genius.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I am quite disappointed on my side, nothing revolutionary, a very bulky design with uninteresting lines (the edges are too 'roundish' for instance, and the overall balance is questionable on wrist), and a very limited base (iPhone users). On the plus side, I really like the customization possibilities, the 'lugged' versions, the design of the pushers, and the different price points.

Thoughts watch gaf?

Given the look, these types of watches would have to offer some pretty amazing utility for me to wear instead of one of my normal watches. It just looks so bad (but, I guess, good for the type of watch it is?). Too clunky.

All the guys in my engineering department were talking about it yesterday, and that's probably the target demographic. I can't imagine the masses buying in.

Agreed. I also just don't think it is that usable. Seeing all the tiny app icons on a 38/42mm screen makes it look impossible to read. Having to fidget with a crown to scroll will be awkward. And it doesn't yet do anything that interesting/not better done on my phone.

I liked this response:

The quote is priceless. Or timeless, I am not sure :)

I am a vivid believer in the 'internet of things' and 'wearable technologies' in general, but the smart watch concept was always questionable.

Given the look, these types of watches would have to offer some pretty amazing utility for me to wear instead of one of my normal watches. It just looks so bad (but, I guess, good for the type of watch it is?). Too clunky.

All the guys in my engineering department were talking about it yesterday, and that's probably the target demographic. I can't imagine the masses buying in.

Yes I imagine there is a target market for sure. But it is not 'aspirational' as we marketing people say. Who wants to be a boring engineer? :D (with all due respect to the engineers on this thread, I am sure you are great people :D).

pwack

I'd say no to dive watches, no plastic. I'm not set on the strap, but I guess it depends on the overall watch. The moment could be anything. Could be quartz or automatic. I just want something simple that is versatile and would look good with a t shirt, jeans and some vans on.

Also I don't want anything too big since I have thin wrists.

What do you think about this?

Simple auto, pretty versatile; less than 50% of your budget, not too big (although I wish it was 40mm rather than 42)

http://wornandwound.com/2012/09/26/seiko-5-snzg-review/

Also like this one -- better finished, slightly simpler dial. Price is closer to $400.

http://c-watch.co.jp/ww/sarg009.html

Also like this guy --
6144856de94a0f7a01fb568fd5f21198.jpg
-- or anything that comes up here would be decent quality, plus Citizen's treated tiatnium, which I am a fan of. http://www.dutyfreeislandshop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=157

hobart

I want to thank this thread for introducing me to Nomos. It is now the new obsession between my friend and I. Recently visited a Tourneau to see them first hand. Extremely impressed - especially at the price point.

Got my buddy re-thinking his next purchase from the classic Cartier Tank to a Nomos. I keep telling him that nothing beats a classic...... but the Nomos has put a chink in the armor.

Anywho........ not sure who did it. But it was this thread. Thanks!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I want to thank this thread for introducing me to Nomos. It is now the new obsession between my friend and I. Recently visited a Tourneau to see them first hand. Extremely impressed - especially at the price point.

Got my buddy re-thinking his next purchase from the classic Cartier Tank to a Nomos. I keep telling him that nothing beats a classic...... but the Nomos has put a chink in the armor.

This thread is the reason I have a Nomos on my wrist as I type.

pwack

Tell your buddy to call Timesless Luxury Watches outside Dallas, Texas. Sounds like you are someplace other than TX, so there will be no sales tax, and he will negotiate price, unlike other folks.

but the cartier tank is the perfect dress watch

Thoughts watch gaf?

I like watches/timepieces, but I am just a student/recent graduate and am not going into any 6 figure jobs.

I like the idea of a smartwatch, and expect it to be a common device. Personally, I hate pulling out my phone and having to hold it when I'm on a bus or in public, and a lot of people get all kinds of useless notifications that they have to check to make sure isn't important or not.

As a fan of watches though, customization (just think of all the awesome displays you can use and download) is fun and actually one of my biggest draws.

I don't expect to swipe like crazy or use it actively for social interaction, though I love the idea of the tap/gestures. The way I look at it is, there are a lot of watches in this thread that are luxurious, and I view the Apple Watch as no different. I like looking at my open heart watch, and expect all kinds of interfaces for the smartwatches.

I guess the bigger question is if it can catch on as a norm/trend, but wont this just result in just more general interest for smartwatches? A lot of companies can benefit, and I'm sure guys like Samsung arent far behind. Apple making it a thing certainly helps open the idea for the general public.

How's the Pebble by the way? I sort of want a Smartwatch sometime down the line

LProtag

Should I buy a pack of nato straps from cheapestnatostraps.com for my Seiko 5? I got a cheapo one from ebay but it would be nice to switch it up a bit.

I'm a teacher, so the most I do with dressing up is an oxford shirt with a tie.

Should I get the pack with a leather one, so I can dress it up a little in case?

Aurelius

Can I join? Since recently I'm the proud owner of a Omega Seamaster. I was also thinking about a Rolex, but the high service costs put me off. But someday...

NKRev11.jpg

hobart

Seriously tho - I didn't think anything would take me off my recent IWC kick. But the Nomos has. Hard to blame it. Quality all around at a much more attractive price point.

Look - I'll have my Portugese at some point... but I just can't tell you how much our mouths dropped when we went to go see the Nomos pieces at Tourneau. Wonderful.

Tell your buddy to call Timesless Luxury Watches outside Dallas, Texas. Sounds like you are someplace other than TX, so there will be no sales tax, and he will negotiate price, unlike other folks.

Yes. Northern NJ - so figure NYC. All for finding out of state options to save on tax. Every little bit counts. Maybe we'll see this piece of his wrist by Christmas.

But... yes... it's HARD to compare it to a Tank. This is what I keep telling him. It's easy for me because I already have one. I feel like there are certain pieces you NEED before others. And he has his Seamaster, Submariner, Carrera already. I just feel like its finally time for a Cartier for him. But the Nomos! What a pleasant surprise!

Should I buy a pack of nato straps from cheapestnatostraps.com for my Seiko 5? I got a cheapo one from ebay but it would be nice to switch it up a bit.

I'm a teacher, so the most I do with dressing up is an oxford shirt with a tie.

Should I get the pack with a leather one, so I can dress it up a little in case?
Depends on which colour your Seiko 5 is. I got myself a leather strap last week and it looks gorgeous in my opinion.

Ashhong

Hey guys, I really like the look of this Michael Kors watch, but dont like the silicone band. Anybody seen or know if it's possible to get this face/color with a black leather band?

81kd2ifZHML._UY500_.jpg

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Techne Goshawk.

I am thinking about getting some other straps for it. Do you guys have any goto sites you use? Not sure if I want something canvas or NATO or another colour of leather. I'll also need a spring bar tool.

pwack

Hey guys, I really like the look of this Michael Kors watch, but dont like the silicone band. Anybody seen or know if it's possible to get this face/color with a black leather band?

81kd2ifZHML._UY500_.jpg

Can I steer you to one of these instead? Better build quality/value for money.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MA36FK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQ2AJLW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BN8L6YC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you have your heart set on the MK, I would imagine you can change the strap out yourself. Post a model no. and we can try and tell you more.

Ashhong

Can I steer you to one of these instead? Better build quality/value for money.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MA36FK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQ2AJLW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BN8L6YC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you have your heart set on the MK, I would imagine you can change the strap out yourself. Post a model no. and we can try and tell you more.

I like the second one, though I do think I like the MK more. It is a MK8241. I found this one but its not the same color, MK8310

Definitely going to consider that Citizen though. Any other similar watches around 100$?

Fixed1979

It's been a long time since I posted in here. A little story, I had the new Nomos Metro on order with Watchbuys for quite awhile. It seems like it's a pretty divisive design for the watch, but I'm a fan. Either way, after a long online conversation with their customer service rep, which included me asking where I was on the wait list and answered with there is no list which then became that they can't share the list (I was told 4th a month ago), they've cancelled my order without me actually requesting cancellation.

After my experience with them today it's probably for the best. They seem to have a pretty good reputation, but this certainly soured it for me, I won't be going back.

Unfortunately, this leaves me still wanting a new Nomos, the search is on for a suitable replacement.

EDIT: Received a followup e-mail from Rob who wants to discuss what went down. Perhaps all is not lost yet.

pwack

I've always been interested in the Citizen Signature watches -- seem like a good mix of high execution with good value/price. I also have a weak spot for cushion case divers.

Last night, I stumbled upon an Amazon "sale" on the Citizen Signature Grand Touring Sport, the newish, 300m cushon diver in the Signature range. For some reason, Amazon temporarily dropped the price for this watch by a large amount. General street price for this watch on Amazon and elsewhere is $890, I ordered it last night for $600. As of this morning, it's back to $890 on Amazon.

Not sure if I'll keep it, but Amazon has a great return policy, or I can sell it and pass the saving along to someone else. Also, helpful that Amazon is a Citizen AD.

Pic, stolen from web:

Chromax

Just got around to posting my 3 newest watches.

L.U.Chopard Triple Certification Tourbillon

My first Tourbillon watch. This one normally is limited to 100 but this one is made just for the Dubaal shop in Paris. So it's a unique piece.

DSC00860.jpg

Jaquet Droz (too lazy to look up the model)

This one was well priced and I like the size of the watch. (it's huge!)

DSC00861.jpg

Corum Ti-Bridge Tourbillon

I actually like the rubber strip since I can wear it any time of the year. Also like the way the tourbillon moves since it's on top of the second indicator.
DSC00862.jpg

Just got around to posting my 3 newest watches.

L.U.Chopard Triple Certification Tourbillon

My first Tourbillon watch. This one normally is limited to 100 but this one is made just for the Dubaal shop in Paris. So it's a unique piece.

Jaquet Droz (too lazy to look up the model)

This one was well priced and I like the size of the watch. (it's huge)

Corum Ti-Bridge Tourbillon

I actually like the rubber strip since I can wear it any time of the year. Also like the way the tourbillon moves since it's on top of the second indicator.

Congrats on your quarter-of-a-million-dollars-3-new-watches :)

Really not my cup if tea, design and movement-wise, but still it's always enjoyable to see new and different pieces.

grkazan12

Thought this would be a great place to get some answers. I've been thinking about getting a watch with a brown leather strap, but I don't want to break the bank.

I have been eyeing this for the past couple of days
51oe6duzutL.jpg

I love the face and design. I have some quick questions, is Seiko a reliable company? would it possible to change the strap to a brown leather strap?

Any other watch recommendations to a newcomer would be greatly appreciated. Finally, although they are cool looking, I want no metal strap because I want to get something with a more subtle or low-key design.

Thought this would be a great place to get some answers. I've been thinking about getting a watch with a brown leather strap, but I don't want to break the bank.

I love the face and design. I have some quick questions, is Seiko a reliable company? would it possible to change the strap to a brown leather strap?

Yes! Seiko make great low-end automatic watches. And yes, it's possible to change it to a brown leather strap. That's exactly what I did here:

Top Bottom