• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Can I join? Since recently I'm the proud owner of a Omega Seamaster. I was also thinking about a Rolex, but the high service costs put me off. But someday...

NKRev11.jpg

Nice, I just picked up a blue wavey dial version to complement my Breitling Super Ocean Abyss. I love this hobby and it will prove more expensive than my electronics/game hobbies.

Damn, i've got again this absurd envy of that Hublot watch.

Actually, i think it's more i'm in a damned Street/cyberpunk mood since i'm back from Denmark: i bought fingerless gloves and i'm wondering each day if i should buy an ACRONYM technical jacket or W-taps pants.

Damn, i've got again this absurd envy of that Hublot watch.

Actually, i think it's more i'm in a damned Street/cyberpunk mood since i'm back from Denmark: i bought fingerless gloves and i'm wondering each day if i should buy an ACRONYM technical jacket or W-taps pants.

If I think cyberpunk, I don't think Hublot first, but more HYT/MB&F/Urwerk/Devon or even Romain Jerome. (just to try and give more perspective...).

...When I think street, APROO rules :)

HYT/MB&F/Urwerk/Devon
Over Budget (unfortunately)
If i bumped into it, i might go for a speedmaster X33 or a breitling B1, they might be quartz but they will have any function i might ever need (especially the X33 if one day i need to do a countdown for a spacecraft launch)

Over Budget (unfortunately)
If i bumped into it, i might go for a speedmaster X33 or a breitling B1, they might be quartz but they will have any function i might ever need (especially the X33 if one day i need to do a countdown for a spacecraft launch)

Or to calculate the angle to penetrate the atmosphere on your trip back to earth. With space tourism exploding in the next few years, it may prove more real than expected :)

Let me think about that steampunk style and get back to you with more suggestions. Max budget?

Or to calculate the angle to penetrate the atmosphere on your trip back to earth. With space tourism exploding in the next few years, it may prove more real than expected :)

Let me think about that steampunk style and get back to you with more suggestions. Max budget?
Cyberpunk not steampunk; Akira rather Bioshock ;)

Used<5K EUR ideally,

I really want an Air King. I know it is considered the budget low class Roley, but I like it versus all their other options.

there's hardly anything low class about an air-king. it's one of rolex's oldest continuous production models and is a bona fide classic

just because it's their entry level model i think some elitists may look down upon it

at least it's not on every other wrist in some variation like the submariner or datejust

it's 34mm, which is kinda on the small side (but traditionally accepted gentleman's size). rolex also sells an oyster perpetual (no date, so a DJ without a cyclops) (36mm) that's very handsome:

hFhxBDx.jpg

---

zFybkdk.jpg

it's pretty much perfect imo, much like the explorer 36mm

Can I try to unconvince you? :D (and FYI, I am pretty sure this is a Sub in the pic, not an Air King).
not a fan of the air-king?

not a fan of the air-king?

Short answer: Nope :)

Long (and very subjective/snobby/elitist :p) answer:

Ok, let's be honest, there are two reasons to own an Air-King: the good one, because it's an Air-King, the bad one, because it's a Rolex. As you never know which one it is, people usually suspect it's the bad one, basically: not a DJ nor a Sub not because it's rarer, but because it's cheaper :)

The Air-King, as much as I love small watches since I have small wrists, is really too small IMHO. I do happen to have a sweet spot between 36 and 41mm, 34 is perfect... for my gf :)
Yes, I know it's perfectly ok from a historic standpoint, but still, I tried one on, and tried many other watches of all size :), and it's just too small for me, the Explorer - which I love - is my limit.

I love Rolex. And I think I do because of one thing in particular, they do tool watches that made/make sense: from the Sub, the Explorer, the DSSD, the Milgauss, they basically responded to an historical need and did so perfectly. And they have a theme, 'human pushing their limits': go higher with the explorer, go deeper with the DSSD, provide the CERN a way to keep time while pushing science forward for the Milgauss. The Air-King was really introduced in 1945 as a homage to the British Air Force - which Rolex provided watches to with a very different look from the AK. This is not really something as appealing as the rest of the Rolex line up for that matter, as the other models are not homages to history, but history itself :)

In short, probably my least favorite Rolex :)

Edit: hey Mobius, what about an 'Alien movie' Seiko? It's as cyberpunk-ish as it gets, a bit original, and very affordable - so in case your cyberpunk phase ends brutally you will not regret anything :D.

A few pics:

Not that big of a watch person, but my friend has me interested in some. Been a big fan of the few Sinn's I've seen in person. Mainly the 556 and 756 UTC with the tagmented bracelet. Though I have to say the one I would probably buy first if I could is an Omega Chronostop with the blue face and orange second hand. No idea why but the first time I saw it I just thought it was beautiful.

pgp9psG.jpg

Not that big of a watch person, but my friend has me interested in some. Been a big fan of the few Sinn's I've seen in person. Mainly the 556 and 756 UTC with the tagmented bracelet. Though I have to say the one I would probably buy first if I could is an Omega Chronostop with the blue face and orange second hand. No idea why but the first time I saw it I just thought it was beautiful.

It IS an exquisite watch indeed, from the discreet mono-pusher, to the cool cushion case, to the great color combination. Bonus point, what's inside (as usual for vintage pieces) is actually much more interesting than 90% of today's generic calibers... The tegimented Sinn are also very interesting in their own rights, great taste sir!

Giving this watch as a gift to my soon to be brother in law.

Where's the cheapest and safest way to buy this online?

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T-Complication-Squelette-Skeleton-T0704051641100/dp/B00FE6D7AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413235648&sr=8-1&keywords=tissot+skeleton

or

http://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watch-t0704051641100.html

Which retailer is more trustworthy? I know that the Amazon one is being sold by a third party.

Jomashop is 100% trustworthy, I ordered from them multiple times. Beware on the fragility of the skeletonized Tissot though, those things are 10 times easier to break than non-skeletonized watches.

Ok, what justify Hublot price?
Even used, you can buy a brand new rolex...

They tend to go for the "new alloys" / ceramic / kevlar bullshit to justify their prices these days (but if that's your thing, look at Ulysse Nardin, they just do it better). And I am sure in the next few years they will come up with an un-authentic in-house caliber made of silicon and other horrible so-called innovations...

Anyone got any comments about AVI-8 watches? I have the stupidest grin on my face because I'm loving so many designs on their site. They're really affordable as well.

They seem like a neat upgrade from my Seiko 5.

Blu10

Anyone got any comments about AVI-8 watches? I have the stupidest grin on my face because I'm loving so many designs on their site. They're really affordable as well.

They seem like a neat upgrade from my Seiko 5.

It doesn't tell you what kind of movement it has. When I brought up the manual it mentioned both quartz, hand wound and numerous automatic movements. Anytime they hide that kind of stuff it makes me nervous.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It doesn't tell you what kind of movement it has. When I brought up the manual it mentioned both quartz, hand wound and numerous automatic movements. Anytime they hide that kind of stuff it makes me nervous.

It does mention Movement, but not specific models, just the type. Looks like all of them either have Japanese solar, auto, or quartz.
The automatics look like your standard Miyota movements.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Wife and I got each other watches for our anniversary.

_DSC1542_zpsb416cb61.jpg
_DSC1544_zps8f7432d4.jpg

Hamilton Jazzmaster viewmatic and Omega Deville

I was at mayors today, and between Rolex, Tudor, panerai, tag, Cartier, and iwc, Rolex and Tudor I liked. The blue bay and explorer 1 are watches I really liked. The new Tudor ranger wasn't bad either.

Slizz

I want a solid automatic Diver watch that I can use as an every day kinda watch.

Looking at this for $178:

o3j2OLk.jpg

Doesn't have to be a pepsi bezel. Willing to spend as much as about $300, suggestions?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I got a little scratch on one of my watches, on the side. Those sad feels. :(

Also, I feel like there needs to be a primer for men everywhere on watch sizes. I've been seeing watches that are way (way) too small and way (wayyyy) too big. I'm a big fan of wearing whatever you feel comfortable with and like, but some of these watches just look so out of place.

Pbae

I want a solid automatic Diver watch that I can use as an every day kinda watch.

o3j2OLk.jpg

Doesn't have to be a pepsi bezel. Willing to spend as much as about $300, suggestions?

You should also look into the Orient Mako

mako-08.jpg

Pbae

I got a little scratch on one of my watches, on the side. Those sad feels. :(

Also, I feel like there needs to be a primer for men everywhere on watch sizes. I've been seeing watches that are way (way) too small and way (wayyyy) too big. I'm a big fan of wearing whatever you feel comfortable with and like, but some of these watches just look so out of place.

There's a lot of people around me that wear Invicta's oversized watches as well as Diesel watches.

DZ7261_00QQQ_01_F.jpg

Though I would probably wear that Diesel watch if I ever came across a time machine.

http://i.imgur.com/o3j2OLk.jpg[/MG]

Doesn't have to be a pepsi bezel. Willing to spend as much as about $300, suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Just pick that one (or the 007) but replace the band with a nice oyster band. A Monster would also be a good pick.

elfinke

I was looking at the Oris BC3 recently, I like the day/date at the 6 o'clock position as something different. What other watches are out there with a similar setup?

There's a lot of people around me that wear Invicta's oversized watches as well as Diesel watches.

This sounds like some kind of 'WIS hell' or something :D

^ but the jubilee is so comfortable on the wrist!

probably the best bracelet outside of the president and royal oak

I really love the Seiko Jubilee. So confy, and definitely the best of its price range by a large margin.
And yeah, it does look a bit dated vs an oyster, but I actually do love it :) The feel is great, and I would add that 'in context' (I mean when looking at a person, not specifically at his watch/bracelet) it does look super cool as it pops a bit, but it's not too shiny, and feels 'different' from the classic oysters.

But please, the best bracelet outside the president and RO? Really mate? :) Did you try any IWC pilot/Aquatimer on bracelet? A VC Overseas? Some Ulysse Nardin divers? A Patek 5960/1A? (just tried it, maybe the best watch I ever had the chance to try...) Or even a (absolutely fantastic) very similar Heuer 'Beads of rice' from the 70s with its crazy finish and deliciously vintage and authentic look?
I respect your opinion, but honestly I could name a LOT of much more confy and good looking bracelet (IMHO).

I was looking at the Oris BC3 recently, I like the day/date at the 6 o'clock position as something different. What other watches are out there with a similar setup?

Nothing in the price range. But just for fun, for much more, you could have something fantastic in the Bremont BC line.

home_image.1646841.jpg

torontoml

My brother is looking for a watch, and I'm kinda at a loss to help him. He is a new phys-ed teacher, wants something professional looking but sporty/fitness oriented. Looking at an approximate max of $300 Canadian.

Any suggestions?

Pbae

My brother is looking for a watch, and I'm kinda at a loss to help him. He is a new phys-ed teacher, wants something professional looking but sporty/fitness oriented. Looking at an approximate max of $300 Canadian.

Any suggestions?

I would seriously look into the Seiko Prospex series.

Does it matter if it's quartz or automatic?

KidJr

rolex-cosmograph-daytona-gold-steel-white-index-116523-never-worn-5.jpg

I dont wear it that often as I think it is a bit toooo showy but it's my first high end watch, toying with the of idea it?

Didnt know we had a thread for this, will post up a picture of my collection tonight.

Just bought and received an Orient Ray (interesting coincidence to see the talk just a few posts above)!

Love it so far. I have an Invicta 8926OBv2 which has a Seiko automatic movement, but that is really the only good thing to say about that watch. The Orient feels so much better and is far more comfortable to wear (the band and case on the Invicta are rough and bad). I suppose Invicta quality isn't exactly a surprise though, despite the decent movement for the price.

Anyway, back to the Orient Ray. Sorry for crappy pic (low light). I'm going to adjust the time in the morning so I can track the accuracy throughout the day:

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I see a lot of similar styles in here, just wondering what peoples' thoughts are one something like this:

(Quoted for size, click for link)

I really like this nice, plain as all hell, style. I wear something fairly plain but a bit more budget at the moment (not that this is exactly expensive). Been looking at this and a couple from T Sovet.

Thoughts? Or other watches of this kinda nice simple style that can be recommended?

Enron

Banned
i swear, those Orient divers would be SO much better if they would get rid of the goddamned useless gimmicky pushbutton for the date function. It's the only thing that has stopped me from buying one.

Pbae

i swear, those Orient divers would be SO much better if they would get rid of the goddamned useless gimmicky pushbutton for the date function. It's the only thing that has stopped me from buying one.

Just pretend it's an helium escape valve!

Orient is an easy non-buy for me as I don't like the logo. Same goes for TAG.

I really want a Railmaster now:

Such a nice piece, with a great and relevant history. The only problem I would have wearing this is that each time I'd glance at it, I'll be reminded that it's a re-issue :( (I have this problem with ALL re-issue, they make me want the original more :D)

And with a nice patina, it becomes an exquisite piece:

I dont wear it that often as I think it is a bit toooo showy but it's my first high end watch, toying with the of idea it?

Didnt know we had a thread for this, will post up a picture of my collection tonight.

That's strange to choose a piece you consider "a bit too showy" as as first "high end" is it not? (no, I promise I will refrain from starting the "is Rolex high end?" debate).

I love the Daytona in general - such a great story and such fantastic people who loved it through the years - but I have to admit I would not go for a two tone - just a matter of taste I guess. (I am still dreaming about finding a Paul Newman for an acceptable price one day... One can dream right? :D).

Please post the rest of your collection!

What's GAF's opinion on this watch?

Can you recommend anything else that looks similar?

It's a perfect watch, and you would be hard pressed finding something more respectable in the same price range, go for it! (and post pics after! :D)

Also, just for fun, a friend of mine tried a PAM 341 (60mm, worn by Shwarzy and Sly in an Expandable movie), here it is with his Seadweller as a comparison on his respectable 7'' wrist :D

(the shopkeeper knew we were just taking the picture to make fun of the ridiculous size of the PAM, but yet he let us... And admitted it IS a ridiculous size :D)

Top Bottom