• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf's first NeoCosplay Thread. Muahahaha

Gvaz

Banned
Well some people who want to cosplay really don't have the body to cosplay since cosplaying is basically going "I like this character, look at me and get your jollies but don't touch! Silly boys~"

Then someone who isn't generally attractive comes by doing the same thing and people get all upset.

It's why I'd never cosplay until I was Mr. Swole and Thin, not Mr. Getting Swole but kind of Pudgy as I am now :{

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's a weird mentality of cosplay ah..."fans". Like the comments for this video, of an admittedly superhot Dante:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrq7DSifnsE

"Why does this Dante have 2 big melons on the chest? "
"DANTE HAS LADYPARTS NOW...WHAT KIND OF WORLD IS THIS!?"
"dante has titties"

and other gems. It's pretty ridiculous.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
My wife and my friend Kit did some cosplay at Dragon Con this weekend

312851_262563740431814_181144498573739_958108_1220785313_n.jpg

320690_262567683764753_181144498573739_958136_1728295928_n.jpg

DNF said:
I seriously don't understand all these negative comments about cosplayers not "looking" like the original.

i always assumed cosplay is about the costumes (the handcraft, the time these people spent, the passion these people use for their hobby)

But according to most of the comments in the last pages all these cosplays are fail because the cosplayers nose is wrong, their figure is wrong, their race is wrong (!!), their cup-size is wrong...

Is this an expansion to the "look at how sharp her knees are"-meme ?
I would expect that even if a picture with a perfect look-a-like of a character was posted some of you would still complain that he/she isn't 400 years old like the original character and therefore shouldn't even think about cosplaying this specific character.

i really envy those cosplayers to have a hobby where they spent so many hours to make these costumes and have the courage to walk around in these costumes.
and yet, even if the costume itself looks really close to the original there are so many negative comments about the person who cosplays. [/rant]
I literally imagined you typing this entire post sitting at your computer in a Mickey Mouse as Wolverine costume.

Honestly the thing that irritates me the most are the people cosplaying zombie versions of everything now, unaware of the irony of thinking it's cruise control to creative.

Insaniac

can i ask the cosplayers here a question? How do you get away with carrying swords and realistic toy guns around and stuff? I assume some swords are fake but some seem very real

bengraven

French cosplay = nice.

More non-Japanese/America/Brazilian cosplay.

Edit: holy shit, Tifa and Aya Brea are the same chick, aren't they?

Gvaz

Banned
I'm jealous of your wives/girlfriends. My GF isn't into cosplaying (grew out of anime and only plays stuff like civ 4). :(

Unfortunately it seems like I don't know any hot girls who'd cosplay who also aren't a little cooky

Insaniac said:
can i ask the cosplayers here a question? How do you get away with carrying swords and realistic toy guns around and stuff? I assume some swords are fake but some seem very real

Most conventions make you "peace bond" weapons to prove they are fake. Whether or not people do that is a different question. I know I carry a real knife on my ODST because I like having it available to fix costume malfunctions. You can see it on my shoulder here.

6111952017_2e1c33db84_b.jpg

As far as guns go it seems like everyone becomes so used to costumers having them at conventions that people just ignore them. A lot of people never bother to repaint airsoft guns so they have the orange tips, but those of us who try to make things as accurate as possible will often repaint/modify the weapons to the point that they really do look real. It seems to mostly be the honor system in those cases since I have never seen security bug someone about a realistic looking gun. For instance the Call of Duty guys in the Dragon*Con parade this weekend.

6110840590_894b39cb3d_b.jpg

Olorin

Insaniac said:
It kind of depends on the convention. Some of them only allow weapons / large props during cosplay competitions or photo-shoots, at others they'll have gophers checking the more realistic looking ones and sometimes marking weapons with an 'approved' ribbon or sticker.
There are usually also rules about not swinging swords around (except outside) and they're more strict about actual metal weapons.
I prefer larp swords myself, because they're completely harmless and still look good enough.

DTJAAAAM

Here's my first set of Dragon*Con photos covering Saturday, which has a little over 400 pics. Definitely one of the wilder, but more entertaining cons I've been to:

Dragon*Con 2011 - Saturday

Had to leave earlier than I wanted since my hotel was kind of far, so didn't get to see some of the good nighttime cosplayers like BelleChere outside of the costume contests. Some highlights:

6122614953_ae19288754_z.jpg
6123111976_207d197028_z.jpg

6123097894_1f84e09769_z.jpg
6122560809_836295bac1_z.jpg

6122560435_ec7b0e53b3_z.jpg

6122609589_fbc9fd84b2_z.jpg

6122561839_c7b0eb2c7a_z.jpg

6122589391_a9af5c6a0b_z.jpg

SaitoH

DTJAAAAM said:
Here's my first set of Dragon*Con photos covering Saturday, which has a little over 400 pics. Definitely one of the wilder, but more entertaining cons I've been to:

Dragon*Con 2011 - Saturday

Had to leave earlier than I wanted since my hotel was kind of far, so didn't get to see some of the good nighttime cosplayers like BelleChere outside of the costume contests. Some highlights:

6122589391_a9af5c6a0b_z.jpg

That is awesome.

Great set of pictures, thanks for the link.

DTJAAAAM said:

However can I just say how much this girl in the rescue suit was pissing me off when I wanted to get a picture of Iron Man and War Machine together. She kept dancing around in front of them in her poorly made costume doing stupid poses which pretty much blocked getting a decent photo.

Some protips for her 1) Lighting is horrible in the Marriott which means needing a long exposure and your dancing does not help. 2) If you want to be in a group shot do not block the good costumes by always standing in front.

We have some teaser shots back from the photographer for our Harry Potter photo shoot. Should have more to share soon. I am dressed as Lucius and my wife as Bellatrix in the one shot.

6122273388_93d2531d29_b.jpg

6120230132_42732080ea_b.jpg

Zing

Banned
dragonlife said:
And goddamn, that guy is HNNNNG.

I don't usually take issue with comments directed at men, but for some reason, this "hnnng" thing in combination with a man actually made me feel a little nauseated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Zing said:
I don't usually take issue with comments directed at men, but for some reason, this "hnnng" thing in combination with a man actually made me feel a little nauseated.

What? Why?

Dyno

Wow it's happened! I've been so spoiled by hot girls doing cosplay that when the average ones do it I break out my 'meh' face. It's kind of unfair given all of their effort.

Zing said:
I remember when she was just a regular cosplayer with a good website. The good old days of innocently jerking off to a normal girl dressed as Felicia.

I have actually hung out with her at a bar through friends that know her. She is actually pretty damn annoying and cannot hold her liquor at all. The bouncer ended up tossing her and a friend for being too drunk.

jcm

Evil Benius said:
I have actually hung out with her at a bar through friends that know her. She is actually pretty damn annoying and cannot hold her liquor at all. The bouncer ended up tossing her and a friend for being too drunk.

Is she soneone famous? Doesn't look familiar.

Insaniac

Evil Benius said:
We have some teaser shots back from the photographer for our Harry Potter photo shoot. Should have more to share soon. I am dressed as Lucius and my wife as Bellatrix in the one shot.

6120230132_42732080ea_b.jpg

Can't unsee Voldemorts mohawk

Top Bottom