• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGEO Battle Coliseum - New Scans - FREAKING HOT!!!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
nbc1b.jpg

nbc2b.jpg

nbc3b.jpg

Marco vs Washizuka is enough for me to want this. More precisely, any game with Metal Slug vs Shinsengumi mathups possible is a step towards my dream game.

Magician Lord would rule, but I don't think it was all that popular in Japan. Hopefully, they throw in some classics, not just relatively recent characters.

Kain from Mark of the Wolves and Terry don't hurt either. Some characters from Sengoku 3 would be cool. I can't quite picture Blazing Star ships in a fighter.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
atomsk said:
atomiswave huh?

chances of a ps2 port are?

Pretty damn good IMO, even in the US (since its high-res like Guilty Gear X). I want PS2 ports of this, Neowave, and Rumble Fish badly.

I am so tempted to buy an Atomiswave for this. Its a shame that everyone just sells the game/boards together. You can't purchase loose carts yet because the market penetration isn't that high but once you can I'm grabbing one ASAP.

mint

Banned
Heh, looks like Mai got a new sprite over..guessing it will be like Yuri in 03.

Some of the bgs are really nice. And theres Brian Battler lol.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Since the OG SNK died, I thought their output was pretty crappy... But I'm beginning to think otherwise. What post-OG SNK games are actually good? I have to play Chaos or any KOF beyond 2000. What have I missed.

Was Raging Bless a stinker too?

Renegade

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Since the OG SNK died, I thought their output was pretty crappy... But I'm beginning to think otherwise. What post-OG SNK games are actually good? I have to play Chaos or any KOF beyond 2000. What have I missed.

Was Raging Bless a stinker too?
SamSho 5, KOF 2002 and 2003 and Metal Slug 5 were all good. KOF2003 and SS5 are my personal faves in their respective series.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Looks awesome....and am I actually seeing NEW SPRITES in there (for Nakoruru and Mai, anyway...hard to tell with the others)?

I'm definitely much more excited for this than Capcom Fighting Jam. :)

A PS2 port is certain, and I bet Xbox later on as well. Atomiswave is the same hardware that Guilty Gear Isuka (already out for PS2 in Japan) and IIRC Guilty Gear XX#Reload run on.

JC, you want a Rumble Fish PS2 port? That game is...eh.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Oni Link 666 said:
It looks pretty sweet. Capcom should do something like this. :p

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up. Exactly what makes this game special, that Capcom hasn't done before?

Lyte Edge

DaCoco, Raging Bless is a 3D BEU for the PS2 from the company formerly known as Jaleco ^_^ Not too bad for what it is....

Vagabond said:
SamSho 5, KOF 2002 and 2003 and Metal Slug 5 were all good. KOF2003 and SS5 are my personal faves in their respective series.

The game that really gets the hate is SvC Chaos; everything else, Metal Slug 4 aside, has been pretty good. Playmore's home ports have gotten very good; KOF 2002 has 3D BGs, transparancy effects, etc., and Samurai Shodown 5 PS2 has arranged music. KOF 2003 will have all these features. :) KOF Maximum Impact is a well-done 3D version of the 2D series; I'm really loving that right now.

Despite the hate and its glaring flaws, I still enjoy SvC Chaos and look forward to playing it on Xbox Live, too.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Lyte Edge said:
JC, you want a Rumble Fish PS2 port? That game is...eh.

The game looked interesting in the videos that I've seen plus it uses a unique animation method that I thought looked kinda neat. I'm in the mood for something different.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
epmode said:
the sprites are not hi-res.

The backgrounds are and the sprites are a definite improvement over the NEO. Look at K' and Washizuka. The sprites themselves look smoother to me (moreso than say Neowave).

aerofx

JC10001 said:
The backgrounds are and the sprites are a definite improvement over the NEO. Look at K' and Washizuka. The sprites themselves look smoother to me (moreso than say Neowave).

What the hell you talking about? The sprites are low res like all the other neogames, therefore it will be just as pixelly. It only looks smoother here because the pics are so small..

ourumov

I think it looks enough good... I think that characters like Kyo or Iori will appear with new sprites...but I won't bet anything on the others.
Anyways I hope Kojiroh makes an appearance.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
aerofx said:
What the hell you talking about? The sprites are low res like all the other neogames, therefore it will be just as pixelly. It only looks smoother here because the pics are so small..

I have bigger scans than the ones that I posted but I didn't use them b/c I wanted to conserve bandwidth. The edges of the sprites look smoother to me. My guess is they applied some kind of a smoothing filter to them.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
It has fucking Marco and his tank, the rest of the characters could be clowns for all I care. Metal Slug FO' LIFE!!1!11

HAOHMARU

OMG ^_^ SNK ^_^ OMG ^_^ SNK ^_^ OMG ^_^ SNK

I had no idea this was being made. Are they making it for the Neo Geo home system too? (guess not)

Confirmed character list?

HAOHMARU

Drexon said:
Haoh> I like your tag. :lol <-- ahh

Well, that is what happens when you go months on end secluded from the outside world like I have. I'm always trying to catch up on yesterday's gaming news.

Thanks JC1001 for the screens:) Anyways, did Marky (the little boy who cheers on Kevin Rian) lose some pigmentation? I could had sworn he was darker in MOTW...

jarrod

Banned
Reminds me of SVC Chaos... I like the character selection more than CFE so far, though I've got a feeling CFE will be the better product overall.

the game looks damn nice. Especially the backgrounds. Hope they dont make the sprites look bad though, as it seems that they didnt upgrade them to hi-res.

Since they are using Marco from Metal Slug I also hope for the following characters:

Elta (Magician Lord)
Miss X (Gal Fighter's)
Akari
Cham Cham
Fio
Setsuna
Rock Howard
Jae Hoon
Okuni (Sengoku3)

Lyte Edge

Anyone who has seen/played Neowave knows that the old Neo-Geo sprites are sharper/smoother on the Atomiswave than they are on the Neo hardware. The sprites looked better in Neowave (against the high res BGs) compared to Capcom's use of its old CPS2 sprites in its Naomi-based 2D fighters. The Neowave sprites also looked more colorful compared to their Neo-Geo counterparts, so redrawn or not, you WILL see a difference.

ourumov said:
I think it looks enough good... I think that characters like Kyo or Iori will appear with new sprites...but I won't bet anything on the others.
Anyways I hope Kojiroh makes an appearance.

Unless it's only certain frames, as I already posted, that Mai sprite is new.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Lyte Edge said:
Anyone who has seen/played Neowave knows that the old Neo-Geo sprites are sharper/smoother on the Atomiswave than they are on the Neo hardware. The sprites looked better in Neowave (against the high res BGs) compared to Capcom's use of its old CPS2 sprites in its Naomi-based 2D fighters. The Neowave sprites also looked more colorful compared to their Neo-Geo counterparts, so redrawn or not, you WILL see a difference.

Thank you Lyte Edge!!!

Lyte Edge

jarrod said:
Reminds me of SVC Chaos....

No. :)

jarrod said:
I like the character selection more than CFE so far, though I've got a feeling CFE will be the better product overall.

CFE is a complete rehash. This game is at least offering some characters that have never been in a fighting game, actual NEW characters, and a battle system never before used in an SNK arcade fighting game. I want CFE as well, but seeing all the recycled crap in screenshots was a let down...only Ingrid from the cancelled Capcom Fighting All-Stars is "new." This game isn't giving me that impression. After three years of no new fighters, I expect more from Capcom.

Lyte Edge

JC10001 said:
Thank you Lyte Edge!!!

I can't let that accusation slide. :) If you want to see REALLY high-res, BTW, that's Runble Fish, but it looks a little weird with its multi-sprite style animation and plays strangely; it's like a 3D fighter trapped in a 2D fighting game system, and it feels very floaty and slow like something out of 1995. :\ It wasn't being played at all at the arcades I went to, even when games like Street Fighter EX2 were.

MoxManiac

I can't help but be excited; the game looks really, really awesome from these screenshots. But i'm not going to keep my expectations high. With Playmore behind this I'm not sure how much faith i'll have in the actual gameplay; I'd really like to see them suprise me and actually not mess everything up for a change.

As much as CFJ is a rehash, I know the gameplay will still be rock solid (balanced or unbalanced) as Capcom still seems capable in that respect, so at the moment my faith is a little higher in that game.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
MoxManiac said:
I can't help but be excited; the game looks really, really awesome from these screenshots. But i'm not going to keep my expectations high. With Playmore behind this I'm not sure how much faith i'll have in the actual gameplay; I'd really like to see them suprise me and actually not mess everything up for a change.

No offense MoxManiac, but I really hate when people say stuff like this. Playmore, for all intents and purposes, IS the old SNK. The same guy who started SNK started Playmore. A lot of the same employees who worked for SNK still work for SNK Playmore. SNk Playmore's 2001/2002 era games didn't suck because of a lack of talent, they sucked because they were licensed to third parties and because they were still in the midsts of a transition and their resources were being heavily stretched. When you use a statement such as "not mess everything up for a change" then you are essentially applying it to SNK as a whole. This simply isn't fair. Any company can go through a bad period. That shouldn't somehow negate everything good those folks have done.

Thankfully, SNK Playmore is making a comeback.

KOF2003 = Pretty good
SSV Special = Good
KOFMI = Good
KOFNW = Not what people were expecting, but still good.

Its time to stop rehashing 2-3 year old complaints.

MoxManiac

SSV is Yuki isn't it?

I've yet to play a KOF past 2000 that I liked. Metal Slug 4 and 5 were both pretty bad, SvC is an abomination that I still haven't gotten over, and i've yet to play MI (want to ttry that one). Can't really say much about NeoWave, haven't seen anything on that game.

I judge Playmore's ability by their catalog, most of which hasn't agreed with me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
MoxManiac said:
SSV is Yuki isn't it?

I've yet to play a KOF past 2000 that I liked. Metal Slug 4 and 5 were both pretty bad, SvC is an abomination that I still haven't gotten over, and i've yet to play MI (want to ttry that one). Can't really say much about NeoWave, haven't seen anything on that game.

I judge Playmore's ability by their catalog, most of which hasn't agreed with me.

To each his own.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought SS5Special was done by SNK Playmore and that Yuki salvaged the original SSV from development hell and released it.

Metal Slug 4 was done by Brezzasoft/Mega Enterprises and not by SNK Playmore.
Metal Slug 5, while not up to MS3 standards, was an improvement over 4. The new slide move was nice. Not a bad game, imo.

SvC, while not perfect, was still just a fun little game. The hit detection was a problem but to be honest I'm surprised it turned out as good as it did because it was in development hell for years.

NeoWave is supposed to be pretty fun. The BGs are great. It looks like its better than KOF2002 (Eolith) and some people say that it gives '98 a run for its money believe it or not.

jarrod

Banned
JC10001 said:
To each his own.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought SS5Special was done by SNK Playmore and that Yuki salvaged the original SSV from development hell and released it.

Metal Slug 4 was done by Brezzasoft/Mega Enterprises and not by SNK Playmore.
Metal Slug 5, while not up to MS3 standards, was an improvement over 4. The new slide move was nice. Not a bad game, imo.
Yuki was behind both SSV & SSVS. Noise Factory (not Brezza) helped Mega on MS4 and handled MS5 (and the upcoming GBA MS) themselves. Mega's doing the upcoming MS Online.

mint

Banned
NW..ha..that game..has some cool cancels.
Iori: C, hcb+k, grab, C, hcb+k, grab, C, hcb+k, grab, C, fwd+a, dm

And you're saying KOF2002 sucked? whatever

Lyte Edge

2002 ROCKED. I'll say it again: The only game that gets hate is SvC Chaos. Neowave is basically 2002, minus the Eolith-created characters (so no K9999 and Angel, which kind of sucks IMO), but with Jhun, Saishyu, and the AOF2 version of Geese as new additions. I don't remember if it's been confirmed that Geese is playable yet, but apparently some of the glaring omissions, like Kim, have been said to be due to them being unlockable characters. Neo Wave also has some SFA3-style ISM systems with different attributes, one of which lets you do Just Defend-parrying from Garou MOTW/CvS2.

I didn't play Neowave myself (the line was too long at the arcade I was at), but I didn't even feel that I needed to...it's very much like 2002, and while that's good, it's also bad as nothing is really new about the game.

And even though Neowave uses 2002 sprites (not the updated 2003 sprites for some characters), and the backgrounds have a very empty look to them, it's still the best-looking 2D KOF game to date, simply because of how sharp everything looked and how well the colors looked. I'm hoping that the PS2 version of KOF 2003 will surpass it with its enhancements.

As for Mox, I think he just thinks of SvC Chaos every time he sees "Playmore," and the hate automatically starts flowing. XD

Lastly, about KOF Maximum Impact...I actually got leguna to play the game for several hours last night. Amazing...I think it means the game has a good chance of doing well here in the States. He sucked hard though. ;)

Oh, and can someone PM about emu stuff...I had a HD crash and lost my recent games. ^_^;

jarrod

Banned
JC10001 said:
Brezza's logo appears on the flyer but nowhere in the copyrights (where it specifically credits development and manufacturing to Mega Enetrprise). Meanwhile Noise Factory has a product listing for MS4 on their homepage crediting them along with Mega and SNKP for the game. Brezza Soft's website has been down for over a year too I believe, I'm not sure they even exist anymore.

ourumov

2002 ROCKED. I'll say it again: The only game that gets hate is SvC Chaos. Neowave is basically 2002, minus the Eolith-created characters (so no K9999 and Angel, which kind of sucks IMO), but with Jhun, Saishyu, and the AOF2 version of Geese as new additions. I don't remember if it's been confirmed that Geese is playable yet, but apparently some of the glaring omissions, like Kim, have been said to be due to them being unlockable characters. Neo Wave also has some SFA3-style ISM systems with different attributes, one of which lets you do Just Defend-parrying from Garou MOTW/CvS2.

2002 was an awesome KOF after 2000/2001. I still consider 99 to be better in the NESTS saga but well it's a nice effort.

Newduck

Not the worlds biggest playmore fan, but this game does have potential, the problem is the closest game to it thats been made looks to be SvC. Which does get alot of hate, and quite rightfully so, potentially great game, that sucked quite powerfully. The game screens certainly do look nice though, good sprites, nice backgrounds, hope it animates well.

Not a big enough SS fan to judge on SSV, but KOF2k2-3 are both very good, the new characters in the playmore games are abit crap, but not horrid, still good games.

Maximum impact is good in the sense is does retain some KOF feel, but...its still a pretty poor fighter, presentation sucks, and the game does feel pretty broken and sloppy, i think its fun cause theres not much like it, and its just kinda cool playing KOF in 3d, but once its mainly novelty. Better then EX i think, but worse then Project Justice.

Where the HELL is Sammy vs Capcom then? I thought the three way vs series' were about to start soon.

coughSVC2cough
It just looks so much like SVC "look we'll add all these CRAZY characters and secret characters and it'll be aWeSome!" I'm skeptical of Playmore's ability. sure 2003/nw/mi were okay.. but nothing monumental with Capcom reduced to making mediocre stuff like CFJ, it would seem easy for snkp to take the throne away, but no.

I have to agree with Mox, although SSV/SSVS is pretty good.
I'm placing my hopes on 94rebout and 2004, its a travesty that they switched to Atomiswave and still use low res sprites. BTW so far we've only seen 1 new sprite. 2nd .. well.. SVC!

Top Bottom