• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Woo that brings back memories, gonna have to get off for a while, was only on to test everything out.

I had forgotten how timing dependent everything was.

I'm Dr Drill in game by the way, hit level 2 and now I'm off.

The package provided by the OP doesn't even require installation, it won't have anything to do with any other clients that may be installed on your machine.

FWIW it does seem to create / use the registry keys under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SonicTeam\PSOBB]. Otherwise seems totally portable.

any idea how to fix this?

nooopsow7pbs.jpg

Jabba

Banned
Got my character made and controls all set up.

Character Name: Twventy1 (FOnewearl - Greenill)

The bit I played made me painfully realize that starting out as a FO is financial suicide. But I just had an encounter with a very nice player who was a real gentleman and didn't rush for anything that dropped, but shared equally ^_^

Yeah, FO's can be stressfull in the beginning, with keeping enough fluids to be effective in a party and feeding the right stuff for your mag when possible. Iirc it gets a little easier once hard mode is open to you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A conservative approach might be to take the monster with the lowest drop rate for any exclusive rare, divide the rate by two, then add it to any IDs that were excluded before. That would mostly preserve the spirit of the old system while at least giving the "wrong" section IDs a chance to get each rare.

This isn't the worst idea. SUPER rare/exclusive drops like Handgun Milla, Iritista, SJS, Yas 9000...Already hard as balls to get, but being able to even get them at all would be nice. The only reason I have a Whitil is for Guld Milla, and the only reasons I have a Redria are for Iritista and God/Battle.

I think adjusting drops to be available on all IDs would be cool, but keep the cards exclusive to IDs (Redria Card, Grenill Card, etc). It would be fun to make an item where you could trade all the ID cards in for some super rare item, ha.

Got my character made and controls all set up.

Character Name: Twventy1 (FOnewearl - Greenill)

The bit I played made me painfully realize that starting out as a FO is financial suicide. But I just had an encounter with a very nice player who was a real gentleman and didn't rush for anything that dropped, but shared equally ^_^

Since shared bank is a thing (type /bank to switch between them according to N.A.), you are better off starting a RA or a HU to get money, tech dics and a mind mag started. FO is really grindy and slow early on (FOnewearl being arguably the worst, FOmar being the best to start with due to his high ATP).

JackelZXA

I cannot for the life of my wrap my head around this character name and section ID stuff, as a HUmar should I be going for the Oran section ID?

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=452 This explains what each section id is good for. Additionally, Yellowboze is good for maseta drops, Redria is good for armor and slots (higher frequency), and Pinkall is great for high level technique disks. I believe it's the only ID that can find level 30 spells. Every other id is just about finding certain weapons at greater frequencies. Some super high level weapons only show up for certain ID's.

PSO World has a GREAT section on pso eps 1, 2, & 4 that should help you solve any question you have about the game from MAGs to sidequests. Really great resource!

Foxix Von

Crap. The game loads up to the point after character creation where it says "connecting.." Then the screen just goes black and stays that way.

N.A

Banned
OK i'm off for the night. I'll process new account PMs in the morning.

Sorry if the server goes down at all. I'll try to check it at least once during the night. (i'll configure auto server restarts sometime soon).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=452 This explains what each section id is good for. Additionally, Yellowboze is good for maseta drops, Redria is good for armor and slots (higher frequency), and Pinkall is great for high level technique disks. I believe it's the only ID that can find level 30 spells. Every other id is just about finding certain weapons at greater frequencies. Some super high level weapons only show up for certain ID's.

PSO World has a GREAT section on pso eps 1, 2, & 4 that should help you solve any question you have about the game from MAGs to sidequests. Really great resource!

Was the meseta and tech discs thing ever explicitly stated, or just assumed?

Also, when it comes to ID's, if N.A. merges drop tables, it won't mater. But if he doesn't, it's all personal preference on what types of weapons you like to use. And if you've never played PSO before, it won't mater. Just pick whatever looks coolest (although I always tell people to avoid Yelowbooze because the exclusive drops are not great).

My suggestions are typically:

HU - Skyly
RA - Purplenum
FO - Pinkall

If you don't care about drops, the above will yield nice drops for your class and also higher frequency of useful mats for that class.

New player note! Materials have a cap. You can't use infinite Attack, HP, Defense, etc. mats. If you are a min/max player, you need to do some research. However, Luck can only be permanently raised by LUK Mats.

New player note! Materials have a cap. You can't use infinite Attack, HP, Defense, etc. mats. If you are a min/max player, you need to do some research. However, Luck can only be permanently raised by LUK Mats.

Actually, HP mats have a separate cap, so you should be able to wolf those down without worrying about messing up your build.

xBladeM6x

How exactly would I use a Photon Charge once it's ready? Also, if I'm a purely Hunter character, isn't the best thing to level my MAG up with Mono, Di, Trimates? :eek:

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How exactly would I use a Photon Charge once it's ready? Also, if I'm a purely Hunter character, isn't the best thing to level my MAG up with Mono, Di, Trimates? :eek:

Hit the button which switches to your secondary action palette. It gets replaced by your Mag's Photon Blast selection automatically.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Which is why you'll often see people use them randomly by accident :p

Let me just cast Rest-FUCK

Also, Photon Blasts can be chained together in a party to allow for stronger effects. You can even "Donate" some of your PB meter to another player if they're the only one casting.

PB Chain
Multiple PBs can be generated into a chain of up to four PBs. Each PB must be cast within seconds of each other (the length of the grinding charge-up noise) and two successive PBs cannot be identical. Chains effectively boost damage done to enemies and increase Resta and Shifta & Deband effects exponentially. All enemy kills will be counted for all characters who took part in the PB chain. Also, all effects of Resta and Shifta & Deband will be cast upon all characters who took part in the PB chain. You CANNOT chain from a different room, unlike donating.

PB Donations
When a character unleashes a PB the other members of the party can opt to donate PB by pressing the Y button before the PB animations begin (the length of the grinding charge-up noise). Each donation costs 10% photon energy. By donating to another character's PB one can receive experience from enemies killed as well as gain the benefits of Resta and Shifta & Deband. Donating isn't as effective as chaining PBs. You can donate from a different room than the PB is in and still receive the benefits. Also, if you donate to a PB that has Leilla or Mylla and Youlla in it while dead, you will be revived at the end of the PB.

This game seems pretty great, I don't know if it will completely get it's hooks in me but it definitely would have if I played it back in it's prime.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Which is why you'll often see people use them randomly by accident :p
This is why I loved the SEGA Console Mag Line since I didn't have to worry about PB. So with that said I hope N.A activates the X mas Event in December because I need my Kit of Mark 3.

I'm not sure what to try next? The game just black screens and locks up when it should show the server list :/
Are you sure you added Launcher.exe,PSOBB.exe,online.exe and options.exe to your anti virus exception list? And not just scan exception list but also processing exception list if your Antivirus has such a category.

Kalor

I just played 50 minutes of it for the first time and really enjoyed it. I got through the first two missions in Episode 1 and have a good idea how the combat works, at least at the fundamental level. I'm looking forward to playing it more tomorrow.

ilium

Honestly, i wouldn't worry too much about min/maxing. (This is something I have to tell myself as well, been thinking about Class/ID/build constantly since NA announced this, which is kinda stressfull)
Besides, reaching Lv 200 takes freaking ages even with 2x exp rates. And as much as I support this project I can't image many people stick around that long.. :)

Just get an ID which is Tier 1 or 2 for your class and you'll be fine. And if you realize you messed up your Mats at some distant point in the future, maybe NA might be willing to reset that if asked nicely.. (If that's possible)

Crytis

Neo Member
Honestly, i wouldn't worry too much about min/maxing. (This is something I have to tell myself as well, been thinking about Class/ID/build constantly since NA announced this, which is kinda stressfull)
Besides, reaching Lv 200 takes freaking ages even with 2x exp rates. And as much as I support this project I can't image many people stick around that long.. :)

Just get an ID which is Tier 1 or 2 for your class and you'll be fine. And if you realize you messed up your Mats at some distant point in the future, maybe NA might be willing to reset that if asked nicely.. (If that's possible)

To add to this, MAGs will drop so don't be too concerned about min maxing your mag stats.

Foxix Von

This is why I loved the SEGA Console Mag Line since I didn't have to worry about PB. So with that said I hope N.A activates the X mas Event in December because I need my Kit of Mark 3.

Are you sure you added Launcher.exe,PSOBB.exe,online.exe and options.exe to your anti virus exception list? And not just scan exception list but also processing exception list if your Antivirus has such a category.

I don't use anti virus. I've tried disabling windows defender but that doesn't do anything.

It can get past the connection screen and play normally but ONLY if I play windowed. I don't want to play in windowed mode =/ I wonder what could be causing problems with fullscreen?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

It's only stressful if you don't know what your doing but if you do it's easy as a Rappy Cake.

Thankfully that homework has been done for me years ago and I will be using Grifter's Guide To Stat-Maxing Characters to max out my HUcast:
http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=272

IF your new to PSO I STRONGLY recommend ignoring Min/Max Building a Character!Just play the game for now and enjoy the game for what it is and if you feel like taking the game more seriously than do so on a second character.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What I learned today by soloing De Rol Lie at Lv. 14 after I was the only one of my party left standing like two minutes into the fight:

hqdefault.jpg

Gifoie works for poverty forces.
Funny thing is that Gifoie is the only multi-hitting attack in the game with no effective target limit. It can literally hit everything in its radius :eek:
Problem is the casting animation is waaaay too long and the fact it only hits things once per cast is counter-intuitive considering how it spirals out leading to you sometimes getting hit by something you think will flinch but doesn't get smacked because it already got caught by an earlier swirl :p

That said, I can't really see anyone managing to hit 13 things with a single rafoie blast anyhoo so its limit is somewhat moot :3

You can even just create a new character, throw the mag into the shared bank, and delete the character.
Yeah, I've seen people do that just to get a mag in a colour they like (your mag's colour is based on your initial outfit colour, for those who didn't know :3 )

I'm in the middle of playing PSO by myself on GameCube so I'm pretty tempted to start over on this. Does this work well on Mac or Linux? Does Blue Burst include all of the normal single player quests?

I think I posted in the other thread but what would be the main difference in the FOmarl and FOnewearl?

FOmarl is more all around whereas FOnewearl has the highest MST so is a better nuker.

ilium

I think I posted in the other thread but what would be the main difference in the FOmarl and FOnewearl?

The biggest difference would be TP (mana) regen for FOnewearl. Not sure on the exact differences for tech boni and stats, but PSO-world.com should have the answer somewhere.

Par Score

Hey, I'm starting Episode 1 right now at level 1 if anyone wants to join! Look for Kalentan. :)

First dragon down on this char thanks to Kalen (Luna and Gloam helped too, a bit).

It's good to be back!

EDIT: Also, might have a bug, my "Pad Button Config" is getting reset every time I start the game, not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
2x exp? You people have it easy! I played back in the day when exp was normal!

Some Tips!

One Player: this mode is like offline PSO of old. Fewer baddies that give somewhat less exp, but they're also much weaker. plenty of quests are only accessible through this mode to.

Menu: when you're locked on to a target you kinda lose the ability to run. if ya bring up the menu you won't target anything and can move freely. this is useful for running from baddies that are up close and for trivializing the floating traps.

Armor/Shields: don't be so quick ta toss out that Frame or Barrier you picked up just cause ya already got one. the stats on them could be slightly higher or lower! in addition for armor having ones with Slots is important cause ya can attach stat boosting an other useful things to 'em.

Shops: check 'em frequently. their stock changes on each visit back to the ship either from a lobby or an area.

Kalentan

Just beat Forest with a couple of others. :) So many memories, I'm falling back into my old grove already. I still remember the layouts and everything, even when enemies spawn.

First dragon down on this char thanks to Kalen (Luna and Gloam helped too, a bit).

It's good to be back!

Hey! :) We should play more when you get the chance, was fun. My only regret was not having the sound on... I regreted it half way through. xD

FOmarl is more all around whereas FOnewearl has the highest MST so is a better nuker.

FOmarl:
gets the following passive spell modifiers:
* Grants 1.5 x damage
* Shifta Deband Resta & Anti 2x range
Stats wise she's somewhat well-rounded for a force but the lack of a passive damage buff to any attack spell of note (grants isn't really that great an attack spell) kind of makes her fall behind the others in terms of magical death dealing.
If for some reason you want to melee, however, she will be able to use things that FOnewearls can't even dream of holding, like the S-rank scythe for example.

FOnewearl:
gets the following passive spell modifiers:
* Foie Zonde Barta & Megid 1.3 x damage
* Megid penetrates (normally this spell stops when it hits something, but for FOnewearls it just keeeeps oooooon roooollliiiiiing :3 )
* Resta & Anti 2x range
As a newman she also has passive TP regen.
Lowest HP and attack power in the game balanced against the second highest evade stat (aka what makes you block and take no damage sometimes when you get hit) and the highest magic stat in the game by a ridiculous amount.
The fact that megid doesn't stop on the first target is pretty interesting and as such seeing a FOnewearl spam megid isn't unheard of (it does no damage but has a random chance of instantly killing anything it hits)

Top Bottom