• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

UrbanRats

Is it normal that the last letter of my character's name always gets eaten up?

When i create it it's 10 characters, but then when i enter ingame, the last one is missing.

EDIT: And i get the ID of the complete name, too.

Think it's really cool what you're doing man! Fog completely revived the Resident Evil Outbreak scene with their online servers, and it's great to see you doing it for another great game.

Hope it stays populated!

Kalentan

I am going to go and run the forest again, cost me 10 monomates to clear the first room of the caves.

Or better yet, time to do some quests!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am going to go and run the forest again, cost me 10 monomates to clear the first room of the caves.

Are you playing solo? Like, if you run solo, are you setting the game to single player? Makes the enemies have less HP and easier in genereal.

JackelZXA

Was the meseta and tech discs thing ever explicitly stated, or just assumed?

Also, when it comes to ID's, if N.A. merges drop tables, it won't mater. But if he doesn't, it's all personal preference on what types of weapons you like to use. And if you've never played PSO before, it won't mater. Just pick whatever looks coolest (although I always tell people to avoid Yelowbooze because the exclusive drops are not great).

My suggestions are typically:

HU - Skyly
RA - Purplenum
FO - Pinkall

If you don't care about drops, the above will yield nice drops for your class and also higher frequency of useful mats for that class.

New player note! Materials have a cap. You can't use infinite Attack, HP, Defense, etc. mats. If you are a min/max player, you need to do some research. However, Luck can only be permanently raised by LUK Mats.

I believe most of that is the result of datamining. PSO-World has always had a pretty devoted community for that stuff. I've also always seen it to reaffirm those in my playthroughs. It's very noticeable if you play lots of singleplayer because your id is always in charge of drops.

I think I posted in the other thread but what would be the main difference in the FOmarl and FOnewearl?

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=124

Each of the 4 force classes buffs a different grade of spell.

FOmar has 1.3x damage on Gi spells and increased range on Shifta and Deband. They also have a really fast, unique to this class, casting animation when unarmed, which makes them great for spamming Gifoie. Their HP is awful though.

FOmarl has 1.5x damage on Grants and Shifta, Deband, Resta, and Anti get a range increase.

FOnewearl gets 1.3x damage on the basic spells: Foie, Zonde, and Barta. Megid penetrates targets (but it's really not useful until you start hitting the high 20's in spell level), and her Resta and Anti have a bigger range. She also has the highest TP in the game and auto regenerates TP (slowly).

FOnewms have 1.3x damage on Gi and Ra spells, as well as TP recovery.

Kalentan

Are you playing solo? Like, if you run solo, are you setting the game to single player? Makes the enemies have less HP and easier in genereal.

I am, at least now that I'm doing quests.

Also guys, I forgot. Is there a way to bring up that quick menu like on the gamecube version? I'm using a controller.

Also... Anyone else remember a song... burning rangers? ;)

kamakazi5

Thanks, everyone. I decided on FOmarl. Lol, I spent like 15 minutes trying to get a name that was pinkal since I heard that's best for force classes and it ended up that my normal username works perfectly.

Some Quick Cave tips:
* Take Anti-paralysis, antidotes and sol atomisers with you or you'll hate yourself later :p

* Caves is the first time you'll come across traps so don't be afraid to take some 'trap vision' items with you (or an android friend as they can passively see traps) and pop it when you find suspicious rooms with no enemies in them.

* Evil sharks recover from hits more quickly so if you're meleeing them don't go for the 3 hit combo or you'll get smacked as you go for the 3rd hit or just after it. Instead just do a normal->heavy.
Elemental weaknesses for Evil sharks are...
- green evil shark = foie/gifoie/rafoie
- pink evil shark = barta/gibarta/rabarta
- yellow evil shark = zonde/gizonde/razonde

* Slimes divide if you hit them with techs (aka magic) or the 3rd hit of a combo. They also divide if hit by an attack from another slime XD You want to smack them with a heavy attack if you can because they become un-hittable after being struck. Alternatively if you can freeze or paralyse them then you can go to town, just be aware that they will split if they survive. If you can kill the original one all the copies it spawned die instantly.

* Nanodragons actually get stronger if they kill other creatures so watch out for that :p Luckily you can zap them while they're flying with zonde easily or catch them as they take off / land with a gun. Be aware that they have two ranged attacks as well. The long-range laser is easy to dodge by strafing but at mid to close range they can shoot a seeking shot that's incredibly hard to avoid.

* Lillies suck. Everyone hates the lillies. Take them out from as far away as possible as they have a nasty paralysis attack they like to randomly throw out if you get too close and their melee attack, while short-ranged, is surprisingly fast. If you get paralysed you can't wait it out, it lasts forever until you die, go to hospital or take something that cures it like anti-paralysis or a sol atomiser.

* When Pan arms are joined together you'll need to use techs to hurt them as they take very, very little physical damage. Note that you can actually kill them with a death weapon however (I KOed one with my dim saber like this, much to my amusement :p) Once they seperate though you can take them on as normal.

ace3093

Neo Member
PM sent for account setup. I can't wait to play! Never could beat episode 4 when I played on official servers. Last boss is so hard.

Gloam

To whomever I was playing with just now, not sure if usernames match up! Sorry for bailing. Dinner was a-callin'! Love that dragon. Oh, the memories!

Fugu

I think I posted in the other thread but what would be the main difference in the FOmarl and FOnewearl?
FOmarl has more balanced stats, whereas the FOnewearl has the highest MST and one of the highest EVPs out of all classes in conjunction with the lowest attack stats and health total of all classes. FOmarl gets a bonus to support techs, whereas FOnewearl gets a bonus to single target attack spells.

FOnewearls are glass cannons. They're very fun to play but it takes a lot of work to get them to be able to solo and they're a real pain in the ass to play without any money -- you will go through fluids at an alarming rate. FOmarls are one of the strongest solo classes in the game but aren't too useful in a party or at really high levels.

Some Quick Cave tips:
* Caves is the first time you'll come across traps so don't be afraid to take some 'trap vision' items with you (or an android friend as they can passively see traps) and pop it when you find suspicious rooms with no enemies in them.
Traps can also be avoided entirely by running around with the menu open. You'll run right past them. In fact, you have enough time that if you notice you've sprung a trap, you can open the menu and run away.

Beat the first area boss. The dragon is hell with the camera.
Heh, yeah it's not the best. The camera is even worse if you play split screen on the GC :3
One tip that helps is when the dragon is doing the whole underground digging thing, it shows up on the map as a huge dot, so you can use that to see where it's coming from and avoid it instead of wrestling with the camera :p

Kalentan

Some Quick Cave tips:
* Take Anti-paralysis, antidotes and sol atomisers with you or you'll hate yourself later :p

* Evil sharks recover from hits more quickly so if you're meleeing them don't go for the 3 hit combo or you'll get smacked as you go for the 3rd hit or just after it. Instead just do a normal->heavy.
Elemental weaknesses for Evil sharks are...
- green evil shark = foie/gifoie/rafoie
- pink evil shark = barta/gibarta/rabarta
- yellow evil shark = zonde/gizonde/razonde

* Slimes divide if you hit them with techs (aka magic) or the 3rd hit of a combo. They also divide if hit by an attack from another slime XD You want to smack them with a heavy attack if you can because they become un-hittable after being struck. Alternatively if you can freeze or paralyse them then you can go to town, just be aware that they will split if they survive. If you can kill the original one all the copies it spawned die instantly.

* Nanodragons actually get stronger if they kill other creatures so watch out for that :p Luckily you can zap them while they're flying with zonde easily or catch them as they take off / land with a gun. Be aware that they have two ranged attacks as well. The long-range laser is easy to dodge by strafing but at mid to close range they can shoot a seeking shot that's incredibly hard to avoid.

* Lillies suck. Everyone hates the lillies. Take them out from as far away as possible as they have a nasty paralysis attack they like to randomly throw out if you get too close and their melee attack, while short-ranged, is surprisingly fast. If you get paralysed you can't wait it out, it lasts forever until you die, go to hospital or take something that cures it like anti-paralysis or a sol atomiser.

* When Pan arms are joined together you'll need to use techs to hurt them as they take very, very little physical damage. Note that you can actually kill them with a death weapon however (I KOed one with my dim saber like this, much to my amusement :p) Once they seperate though you can take them on as normal.

Thanks for the tips, but I remember the cave from the gamecube version.

Crytis

Neo Member
TIP for the traps, if you have the menu open when running around the traps wont slow your movement. This is good for running through long hallways with traps in them.

Thanks for the tips, but I remember the cave from the gamecube version.
Ah, no worries XD

...FOmarl gets a bonus to support techs, whereas FOnewearl gets a bonus to single target attack spells.

Traps can also be avoided entirely by running around with the menu open. You'll run right past them. In fact, you have enough time that if you notice you've sprung a trap, you can open the menu and run away.
Probably worth note that the FOnewearl also gets a bonus to anti and resta (double range, same as the FOmarl), not just the single target spells :3

I think I mentioned it earlier but as long as you don't have any active attacks on your current palette and number hotbar then, much like the pause trick, you won't go into a combat stance around mines or enemies. I keep my second palette attack free so I can just hold down the switch palette button and run around enemies or mines without slowing down much like this menu trick :3

If you use windowed mode (recommended for proper 4:3 ratio) you can use the app Ghoster to darken the desktop and non-active windows and Windowed Borderless Gaming to eliminate PSO's window border. It can look like this:
Untitled_2.png
Here's my PSO entry from WBG's config file, assuming 1080p desktop and 1280x960 PSO:
Code:
[Title:PHANTASY STAR ONLINE Blue Burst;Class:PHANTASY STAR ONLINE Blue Burst]
Process=PsoBB.exe
Style=348389376
PosX=320
PosY=56
And a batch file to run the apps, play PSO, then kill the apps. Change paths as appropriate.
Code:
@echo off
cd "D:\Games\~Window Border Removers\~WindowedBorderlessGaming"
start WindowedBorderlessGaming.exe
cd "D:\PortableApps\Gadgets\Ghoster"
start Ghoster.exe
cd "D:\Games\NeoPSO"
"D:\Games\NeoPSO\online.exe"
pause
taskkill /F /IM WindowedBorderlessGaming.exe
taskkill /F /IM Ghoster.exe
exit
The last time I played Blue Burst there was also a version of ENBSeries that worked with it. Caused graphical errors on some character costume transparencies though. Rad, there's a new and improved ENB mod that seems to work well so far.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I was messing around with it yesterday in Forest 1 and had a hard time killing like anything in Forest 1; am I doing it wrong? First I tried force which fared sorta well with the fireball until I ran out of TP, then tried a Ranger which got obliterated...

Fugu

I wonder what the highest level is. Also, I'm still the only force I've seen so far. How is this possible?

Probably worth note that the FOnewearl also gets a bonus to anti and resta (double range, same as the FOmarl), not just the single target spells :3

I think I mentioned it earlier but as long as you don't have any active attacks on your current palette and number hotbar then, much like the pause trick, you won't go into a combat stance around mines or enemies. I keep my second palette attack free so I can just hold down the switch palette button and run around enemies or mines without slowing down much like this menu trick :3
I didn't know they got an anti bonus. I've been playing FOnewearl for so long that I never noticed. They also get the megid pierce.

Having your second palate free of attacks is all well and good if you're a hunter!

So I was messing around with it yesterday in Forest 1 and had a hard time killing like anything in Forest 1; am I doing it wrong? First I tried force which fared sorta well with the fireball until I ran out of TP, then tried a Ranger which got obliterated...
It's tough going at first for rangers and especially forces. Both classes require a lot of running away -- there's no other way around it -- and forces additionally require you to spend basically all of the money you get on monofluids, which will restore your TP.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

The first hour or two of the game is absolutely the worst part. Hell, I was considering quitting just a few hours ago and now I'm at Lv. 14 with a pretty solid character. Just find a party, gain a few levels, get some better equipment, and everything will smooth out soon enough.

ace3093

Neo Member

Just take your time and keep playing forest over a few time. Soon you will be flying thru it. You should play single player quest at first it will be easier. Plus you will need to complete them for future animal parts you will get.

Ranger shouldn't be too bad. Just keep your distance and keep doing the 3-hit attack combos. Weak, weak, strong will keep early enemies away well enough.

When they get too close run away, flick back toward them, and hit the camera button to swing them back into view.

Kalentan

Honestly my only issue with the game is that it kicks you back into the lobby after each quest. You can't just accept the next one.

UrbanRats

Tested a little bit, it crashes every time i attack with the handgun (normal OR charged, but apparently the punch attack (normal OR charged) is fine.
Didn't do extensive testing, but i wonder if it has to do with some particle effect causing problems.

EDIT: Never mind, i just get random crashes all over the place. :\

Can't say for sure without seeing you play to be honest ^.^;

One thing I've noticed is a lot of players coming into this with an MMO mindset that getting hit is just something that happens. PSO isn't that kind of game. Hits here HURT and at the highest difficulty the HUcast (which has the highest combined HP and defence the in game) will die in 8 hits maximum, quite often less. You'll need to herd the creatures to optimise your position and find space to get attacks off. This becomes hugely important above normal difficulty as you'll quickly get swarmed by the faster monsters there and you'll be using weapons that hit multiple enemies instead of the single target stuff at the start of the game)

Some general tips for forest are:
* boomas have a simple ai that makes them walk towards you unless they bump into each other. If they do bump into each other they'll start walking in a circle until they face you again. At first this doesn't look like much but in certain situations it can lead to hilariously evil outcomes like you being fully circled and flinch-locked to death. More positively you can use this behaviour to purposefully steer some into each other to give you some breathing room. Element vulnerabillities are...
Booma = foie spells
Yellow Booma = zonde spells
Big Booma with mohawk = barta spells

* wolves are pain and will circle you. Fun tip is that they only attack when your back is to them. Also note that one of them is coloured differently and that's the leader. If you kill the leader the others will debuff themselves with a howl making them easier to take down. Their hitboxes can be a bit janky at times and good luck hitting them with foie (which is what they're weak to, except the leader which is vulnerable to zonde)

* rappies are cute but surprisingly nasty as their attack speed will beat you if you let them get too close. They play dead rather than dropping an item and when you're a certain distance away or a certain amount of time has passed they'll get up and leg it. While running in this state they turn into a pinata and will drop stuff when you hit them :3 Shooting them from too far away will result in them running early. They're vulnerable to barta spells.

* Hildebears are great fun to fight but hit like a truck. Fun tip for these is that if you run past their right hand side (your left) it triggers their punch which if you do this correctly will go over your head and miss, leaving them open for you to start burrowing into their side with your melee weapon :p At range watch out for their leap and fireball. I always forget what they're vulnerable to but I'm pretty sure it's barta.

I wonder what the highest level is. Also, I'm still the only force I've seen so far. How is this possible?

I didn't know they got an anti bonus. I've been playing FOnewearl for so long that I never noticed. They also get the megid pierce.

Having your second palate free of attacks is all well and good if you're a hunter!
Highest Level for classes is 200, highest level spell is 30 :p
I'm actually a force and I use the quick access menu for a lot of spells. Watching me play is like watching someone play streetfighter ;D

Fugu

Highest Level for classes is 200, highest level spell is 30 :p
I'm actually a force and I use the quick access menu for a lot of spells. Watching me play is like watching someone play streetfighter ;D
No no no haha, the highest on the server right now. I played this game for many, many years.

No no no haha, the highest on the server right now. I played this game for many, many years.
Ah, fair enough XD

Surprised you've not seen a force as I've seen quite a few. MAGIC for one, me for another and someone was running around with a particularly ronald-mcdonald-looking FOnewearl :3
That said, I'm somewhat tempted to try a HUnewearl for a change of pace, but I don't know if I can really let go of being able to learn the rez spell, the telepipe spell and having ridiculous range on my resta :p

xBladeM6x

My dumb ass didn't realize that you could break these walls. So I went around Temple Beta for 30 mins wondering why a door wasn't opening. Turns out the switch was behind one of these. Lol

Jackano

Thanks god for the x2 XP, though.

Between this, the fact I remember having hard time in the game on Gamecube when I first played it, not only on GC but often alone or with a friend whose character was naturally behind me, and everything offline...
The progression is now much faster and far less tidious than 10-12 years ago.
3 dragons today, lv.12, I think I can go seriously to the caves.

Kadin

What are you guys choosing to run the game at (resolution, etc.)? I'm running windowed at the recommendation of N.A and no matter which resolutions I choose, the game chugs a bit here an there. My specs should be more than sufficient (i5 4690/8gb/HD6770/SSD).

It's nothing really bad and perfectly playable but maybe there are some tweaks or improvement I can make. My desktop is cable of 1680x1050 so that's what I was running but I've dropped it down to 1280x960 and not much of a difference.

Sojiro

What are you guys choosing to run the game at (resolution, etc.)? I'm running windowed at the recommendation of N.A and no matter which resolutions I choose, the game chugs a bit here an there. My specs should be more than sufficient (i5 4690/8gb/HD6770/SSD).

It's nothing really bad and perfectly playable but maybe there are some tweaks or improvement I can make. My desktop is cable of 1680x1050 so that's what I was running but I've dropped it down to 1280x960 and not much of a difference.

I'm running 1920 x 1080 I think (at work atm) and haven't had any sort of slowdown that i've seen. Some pop in from the far away backgrounds, but I somewhat recall the game being like that anyway.

kamakazi5

Sorry for anyone in my party earlier. Should have done a little soloing first before going into a party. I was having a hell of a time remembering what to do.

It just occurred to me now but newer players might not know about the percentage system :eek:

If you're new to PSO, there's an important but simple thing to know about weapons and that is that when you're viewing them in the menu there's usually 3 pages of info. The 1st is the page you'll look at by default and has the attack power (atp) and whatnot listed, but the 2nd page is where you'll find the percentages and you should always check this when comparing weapons.

Percentages break down into 5 categories and they're relatively simple (at least in episode I): The first 4 types are damage modifiers against different categories of monsters and are as follows:
Native: All monsters in Forest are native.
A. Beast: All creatures in caves are of this type.
Machine: This covers all enemies in mines
Dark: this covers all enemies in the final level of Episode I.

The types get mixed up more in episode II and IV so it's not as clear cut in those, but you should have a better grasp of the game by then :3

The fifth type is 'hit' which is interesting because unlike the others this doesn't change damage and isn't a real percentage either. Instead this basically boosts your ATA (accuracy) by 1 point for every % (so 3% = +3 ATA) which can very handy if you plan on using the special attack on the weapon in question. For normal weapons, which have no special attack, it's a nice bonus to have but not amazing :p

okno

Holy shmooples! Is this Windows only or is there a Mac client/work around? I will absolutely reinstall Windows for this, but I'd prefer not to do so.

Top Bottom