• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is anyone trying to tweak ENB? I've not had much luck so far. My impression is that only the bloom effect works, and I wish I could make it wash out the picture less (keep most contrast) while still making highlights glow.

Under bloom section in enbseries.ini, only(?) BloomPowerDay and BloomConstantDay seem to have some effect so far. The defaults:
Code:
[BLOOM]
BloomPowerDay=10
BloomFadeTime=2000
BloomConstantDay=3
BloomQuality=0
BloomScreenLevelDay=100
BloomCurveDay=0
BloomPowerNight=18
BloomConstantNight=2
BloomCurveNight=0
BloomScreenLevelNight=20
BloomAdaptationScreenLevel=40
BloomAdaptationMultiplier=50
BloomAllowOversaturation=1
BloomMaxLimit=100
Ah, what I'd give for SweetFX or ReShade.

Is this a way to tweak graphics? I prefer the aged look - crazy nostalgia! :)

Kalentan

Hey guys, I'm about to start a lobby for the mines if anyone wishes to join. Got something special for those who join as well. :D
Those who played the original may be nostalgic. :D

...And up! Called "Mines."

Edit: 1 slots left.

JackelZXA

Depends which ones you mean. If you mean the principal's quests given out by the new girl then they're worth a fair bit of meseta but not much else. In the original BB you had to do them to unlock new zones which was a pain in the rear but in this version they're all unlocked from the get-go :D

If you mean the solo quests then certain weapons can only be gained via doing some of them, the most notable (to me at least) being the soul eater which is a crazy scythe that slowly eats your health bar and can do massively damaging attacks at the cost of even more health. This, along with soul banish, used to be one of the top weapons in the original PSO but later versions like v2, EpI & II and finally BB have added much more powerful stuff over the years, but it's still a nice thing to pick up until you hit ultimate difficulty at least :3

It was always bad, though as of Ep I & II the camera in the dragon boss fight somehow got worse.
This really isn't a game I'd recommend playing with a mouse and keyboard. It's built from the ground up for pad play i'm afraid :s If you can find any pad at all and plug it in you'll find it a lot more pleasant :3

The final quest for each of the government quest tiers gives a different item per difficulty upon completion. It's sometimes worth doing those since you can get something decent for your level early-ish.

Episode 4's government quests are actually all story quests with npc's and cutscenes. It's a step up. ep4 and ep2 have less singleplayer quests but the ones they did make for those are really detailed and have unique stuff going on.

It's worth playing all the story quests in the game at least once because the game's story is actually not so bad for what it was at the time.

I would say it's not badly written in the way that PSU was and actually is a decent story with some intrigue here and there, and the dark falz story is itself kind of an elder gods narrative that plays off in a subtle enough way with a weird payoff. The ep2 story is kind of melancholy too.

It's a less-is-more kind of narrative that you can sort of absorb just by reading the capsules as you go.

Seeing how much people in this thread are getting into the game...I always felt pso was still a great game, that it had strong combat fundamentals and a cool look. Everything about it, for the technology at the time, was well done. Talented people made the game and it shows.

I feel like a remake would only have to update the graphical fidelity (while not changing the art style) to modern 3D Standards and fix a few of the collision bugs and the game would still work today. Right stick camera control and maybe a soft-lockon being the only things I would say are worth adding to the formula.

Everything else is solid and the only thing I'd say it would have lacked at the time is "more of it".

Hopefully I get my account/download soon. I've never really played an MMO before. The closest thing was probably the 10 minutes I tried PlayStation Home :p

Maybesew

I'm on right now, and in a party, but i cant figure out how to type messages to them. I'm lost and all i can seem to do is fill in the pre-populated word sentences

Hey guys, I'm about to start a lobby for the mines if anyone wishes to join. Got something special for those who join as well. :D
Those who played the original may be nostalgic. :D

...And up! Called "Mines."

Edit: 1 slots left.

I'm here with you but cant figure out how to chat!?

PMed. I'd love to get back into PSO again like I used to, but I don't have the attention span anymore... but a little taste here and there sounds good :D

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm on right now, and in a party, but i cant figure out how to type messages to them. I'm lost and all i can seem to do is fill in the pre-populated word sentences

Hit spacebar, you should see a little translucent text cursor appear in the bottom left corner of the screen. That's how you know you're in 'type mode'.

Spacebar usually does it for me.

If that doesn't work for you check your input config.

Maybesew

ok, is this normal?
LbOMNDv.jpg

ok, is this normal?
No, something funky going on with the background.

Regarding my earlier concerns about ENBseries contrast, I just made a custom color profile at the driver level (I use the ancient ATI Tray Tools, Catalyst Control Center may have the same functionality). Much darker and richer now, but with glowy ENBness.

newman929

Neo Member
Was anyone here part of the old IGN Dreamcast/PSO boards? That place was my home as a young gamer and gives me waves of nostalgia when I think of it.

For some other memories, a guy dug up a tape of him playing V2 for the first time online. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEJjuT6P00

Cordelia 9 was the old IGN block.

I spent a ton of time there back in the day as well, from the beginning of the dreamcast era to near the end of the gamecube era. I didn't post a ton, but quite a bit for my standards; I'm usually mostly a lurker. Your name sounds familiar but then again that was over 10 years ago at this point haha.

With all this speak of ENBs and all, is there, like, maybe an HD texture pack somewhere around? Some of the textures, especially in the City are super blurry..

The server crash is clearly because Chucker didn't carry me on his shoulders so I could avoid dirtying my shoes in the caves :p

edit: Guess this is as good a time as any to say that I'm now playing a HUnewearl called Eclaire. Feel free to add me to the player list on that second post N.A. :D

I'm hotly anticipating playing again! It's been years and years. What, if any, modifications have been made server side to the game? Or is it pure to the original experience?

I'm hotly anticipating playing again! It's been years and years. What, if any, modifications have been made server side to the game? Or is it pure to the original experience?

Right now it's just 2x experience points and a shared bank between characters. Other than that, it sounds like our host will look into updating drop rates/changing drops down the line.

Depends when you last played, but as far as comparing it to Blue Burst it has double XP and a shared bank you can switch to with the /bank command which is super handy, but those are the only changes I know of :3

edit: dat fast posting by Twentytwo :p

Just sent a PM with registration details. Man, I've always wanted to play the PC version. I've tried several times to join one of the many private servers, but haven't had much luck. My brothers and I used to play the GCN version religiously. I still play it from time to time on the Wii. So many good memories.

i, for one, welcome a REDRIA that doesn't have slicer drop hell.

you know what? you don't even have to touch the drop tables, just NERF redria slicer drop rates.

I don't think NA got around to setting the server up to auto-restart so we won't be getting any more PSO action until they wake up :/

Windows whole update system is silly ¬.¬

BTW, as a tip to some of you who may not know: Some of the "quests" (really, most of them are just the same areas with more monsters) offer a lot more EXP than the vanilla areas.

Anything in Extermination is good.

Towards The Future is like a "boss tour" of the four episode one areas with some small fry in between.

I was just doing the AOL Mass Attack before the D/C which also seemed nice.

Use these to your advantage! They often pay out thousands of meseta, too.

SoulUnison

Banned
i, for one, welcome a REDRIA that doesn't have slicer drop hell.

you know what? you don't even have to touch the drop tables, just NERF redria slicer drop rates.

Isn't... ...Isn't that touching the drop tables?

I don't think NA got around to setting the server up to auto-restart so we won't be getting any more PSO action until they wake up :/

Windows whole update system is silly ¬.¬

Oh nooooooooooooooo~~~~~~~...! =(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Managed to squeeze in a good Forest run before the server went down. Will probably be soloing for a while til I'm closer to level 15-20.

If you see a RAcaseal named Oliveros, say hi!

Yeah, it was around 11PM Eastern yesterday as well.
Do we know what kind of time N.A. might be awake? :p
I really need to get my mag done and do the soul eater quests before i really settle into this character (once I have a partisan and Sato I'll be happy :3)

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
I'm sorta maybe tempted to jump in, so I might...

Another recommendation for those hitting weird glitches with antivirus false positives etc - I used to play on schtserv and I avoided that by running PSO through a VM'ed WinXP installation (there's a decent VM player that is free for private/personal use).

Chucker

Do we know what kind of time N.A. might be awake? :p
I really need to get my mag done and do the soul eater quests before i really settle into this character (once I have a partisan and Sato I'll be happy :3)

Looks like N.A. was up last time around an hour from now, but might not be the norm.

We were just getting into it, too!

Top Bottom