• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't think Goku doing all the heavy lifting will change. Even in Dragon Ball all the side characters just existed to get beat by the main villain of the arc so Goku could step in and fight them.

That's not always true. Goku was out of the picture for much of the Saiyan, Namek and Cell sagas.

OnPoint

That's not always true. Goku was out of the picture for much of the Saiyan, Namek and Cell sagas.

Saiyan saga: Came in and swept up the pieces
Namek saga: Became Super Saiyan and beat Frieza
Cell saga: Gave way to Gohan

So, 1/3? He's the good guy equivalent of the Big Bad.

I always wondered what would happen if Piccolo went to hell to find and merge with Piccolo Daimaou. He gets radically stronger with every namekian he got, and merging with kami was such a huge boost because he was "finally united again." Except he's not - there's still a huge part of him left in hell.

Could this potentially push him toward evil again? That would be super cool if he did it to get strong to defeat a villain, but then ended up icing them to become the villain himself. It would also be interesting for his character. Let's face it, he's gotten kind of boring, even if some people like boring grandpa Piccolo.

Saiyan saga: Came in and swept up the pieces
Namek saga: Became Super Saiyan and beat Frieza
Cell saga: Gave way to Gohan

So, 1/3? He's the good guy equivalent of the Big Bad..

Even if he's the closer you had epic fights that didn't involve him at all until the very end.

TreIII

I always wondered what would happen if Piccolo went to hell to find and merge with Piccolo Daimaou. He gets radically stronger with every namekian he got, and merging with kami was such a huge boost because he was "finally united again." Except he's not - there's still a huge part of him left in hell.

Funny thing is, that was actually something explored in a number of games, such as Supersonic Warriors 2. Piccolo being reunited with his full power put him on par with SSJ3 Goku according to that what-if. Only Toriyama knows how much of that would be actually true.

But hey, "Super Demon King Piccolo" would be a nice thing to see happen legit.

Krejlooc

Banned
Could this potentially push him toward evil again? That would be super cool if he did it to get strong to defeat a villain, but then ended up icing them to become the villain himself. It would also be interesting for his character. Let's face it, he's gotten kind of boring, even if some people like boring grandpa Piccolo.

When he merged with Kami he became all good and saintly, so why not?

HardRojo

I wonder if they will go this route with exploring all of the other potential Gods that were mentioned.
Son Goku vs the character he's based on would be a nice watch.

I wonder if they will go this route with exploring all of the other potential Gods that were mentioned.

A lot of those designs are meh. The one on the bottom middle looks like a generic furry cosplay costume. I hope the designs are more original because I am sure the show will explore the alternate universes

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is great news. I have only one wish:

Make Goten and Trunks important!!! (And older)

trixx

My biggest problem with later DBZ was that, after a time, it became "the Saiyan Show." No one but the Saiyan's could do anything of use/value, even Piccolo. They'd make a big deal of them all showing up in their battle outfits and, then just standing around playing cheerleader.

And then after that, it became "the Goku show" because even the other Saiyans couldn't do anything. You spend all that time building Gohan up, teasing this great power that he has, killing off Goku in a "big damn hero moment," and then have Gohan epically kill Cell. And then you torpedo all of that development during the Buu Saga.

I'm intrigued about this, but also somewhat nervous based on these above factors. Also, Buu destroyed the world and killed off EVERYONE except for Goku and King Satan (Hercule), so how the Hell do they top THAT!

pretty much why I can't get excited for it. At least with dragon ball was an adventure and every member of the team felt necessary or at the very least interesting. I see this being rehashed plot lines; a new foe threatening earth etc..

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Really hoping so.

Goten at the end of Z had the best design in his family. Then GT fucked it all up.

screenshot_5.png
Fuck yes. These two have so much potential, especially with these designs.

Fun fact: According to the Xenoverse/DB Online story, which could be considered series canon until contradicted, the two of them eventually found a sword school based on Gohan's ki research. Turning them into ki-wielding swordsman would give them a unique flair compared to the other characters.

Vice

They had smarter ways of getting other characters involved in Dragon Ball, though. They often leaned on interesting technique or magic to counter goku's godly strength. My favorite part of the entire dragonball mythos is the parts from the 22nd budokai to the 23rd budokai. It's like 3 sagas at once, but they all flow into one giant overlapping story. I love how the Mafuba was a deadly technique during those times, and how Goku had to think on his feet to counter stuff like Tenshinhan's 4x4 eyes.

Goku vs Tenshinhan in the 23rd budokai is probably my single favorite fight in the entire series. Just technique after technique after technique.

The mafuba never worked and Tien got thrown into Yamcha territory right after that fight. It's the DB formula. Goku fights someone equally as strong as him. He beats them, or barely loses, and Goku's opponent gets taken out in two seconds by the next villain to show how strong they are. Krillin managed to stay somewhat relevant due to not doing much of anything in Dragon Ball so he never had that Goku's main opponent curse. The second-tier guys get a few moment to shine. But, the second tier is constantly pushing old characters down when people like Vegeta, Piccolo and the half-saiyans became second tier.

Outside of the Cell saga, they were mainly just stalling for Goku the entire time.

Fuck yes. These two have so much potential, especially with these designs.

Fun fact: According to the Xenoverse/DB Online story, which could be considered series canon until contradicted, the two of them eventually found a sword school based on Gohan's ki research. Turning them into ki-wielding swordsman would give them a unique flair compared to the other characters.

Ech, now I want to play Xenoverse again.

Chi Chi's got some explaining to do D:

Yamcha was the real winner of Dragon Ball.

Sure, but doesn't that constitute 'heavy lifting'? He came in and finished what the other chumps couldn't.

If you want to look at it that way, sure. Part of the appeal of the Saiyan Saga was the fact that you knew that they were just playing for time until Goku got back and yet there were times that you could legitimately have thought, "Oh shit, they're gonna beat Nappa!" Yeah, Vegeta still waited in the wings, but you could get fucking pumped that they were so close to scoring a win.

Instead of Super Saiyan God, Super Namekian Devil? Probably what they'd name it. It'd be pretty cool, imo.

OnPoint

If you want to look at it that way, sure. Part of the appeal of the Saiyan Saga was the fact that you knew that they were just playing for time until Goku got back and yet there were times that you could legitimately have thought, "Oh shit, they're gonna beat Nappa!" Yeah, Vegeta still waited in the wings, but you could get fucking pumped that they were so close to scoring a win.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't disagree at all. It just would be nice if he wasn't almost always the end game of the side of good, and someone else could finish a job.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's so unrealistic how there can be more enemies out there stronger than Buu.

I know its the only way for them to be relevant and not just get one shotted like "Oh lets see, your around the power level the androids were, I'll just backhand you into the sun" but still come on.

Meh, Master Roshi could destroy the moon (our moon is huge - 2% of the earth's volume), meaning that saiyan saga base goku (no kaioken) could blow up the earth (as could Vegeta).

The sun is 1,305,700 earth volumes, and 330,000 earth masses - in other words, when Frieza fought Goku (in the Frieza Saga), he would still have had to increase his power level by a factor of ~22 (going by mass) or ~87 (going by volume) to destroy the Sun.

He would then have to increase his power by a factor of ~10 trillion (going by volume) to destroy the solar system.

In other words, Frieza, circa Frieza Saga, times 870 trillion, equals solar system buster. Forget star clusters, galaxies, or universes.

There's plenty of room for power increases :p

Is it happening guys? GT buried and gone forever now!? I might cry...

GT was completely destroyed with the introduction of SSGSS.
Meh, Master Roshi could destroy the moon (our moon is huge - 2% of the earth's volume), meaning that saiyan saga base goku (no kaioken) could blow up the earth (as could Vegeta).

The sun is 1,305,700 earth volumes, and 330,000 earth masses - in other words, when Frieza fought Goku (in the Frieza Saga), he would still have had to increase his power level by a factor of ~22 (going by mass) or ~87 (going by volume) to destroy the Sun.

He would then have to increase his power by a factor of ~10 trillion (going by volume) to destroy the solar system.

In other words, Frieza, circa Frieza Saga, times 870 trillion, equals solar system buster. Forget star clusters, galaxies, or universes.

There's plenty of room for power increases :p
And don't forget that at the end of BoG Beerus said there are more Universes that have fighters even stronger than him.

Shauni

So, what's the general thought on Kai around here? I'm kind of wanting to watch DB and DBZ, but I don't think I could sit through the original DBZ. I just...couldn't do it, I don't think.

GT was completely destroyed with the introduction of SSGSS.

What is this? I would Super Saiyan God, but what's the other SS?

So, what's the general thought on Kai around here? I'm kind of wanting to watch DB and DBZ, but I don't think I could sit through the original DBZ. I just...couldn't do it, I don't think.

What is this? I would Super Saiyan God, but what's the other SS?

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
Just Google SSGSS Goku and SSGSS Vegeta.

I wonder what kind of strain Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 3 would put on the body.

Or Legendary Super Saiyan Legendary Super Saiyan God 3.

LSSLSSG3. Nice.

Servbot24

Banned
Funny thing is, that was actually something explored in a number of games, such as Supersonic Warriors 2. Piccolo being reunited with his full power put him on par with SSJ3 Goku according to that what-if. Only Toriyama knows how much of that would be actually true.

But hey, "Super Demon King Piccolo" would be a nice thing to see happen legit.

Uh, didn't Roshi go head to head with complete Piccolo? There's no way he was near SSJ3. Or even regular Saiyan for that matter.

Uh, didn't Roshi go head to head with complete Piccolo? There's no way he was near SSJ3. Or even regular Saiyan for that matter.

Piccolo after merging with Kami is stronger than Goku was as a Super Saiyan on Namek apparently.
I don't know I'm surprised really.
For some context, it is explained in the movie as just being what Super Saiyan becomes for someone who has mastered Super Saiyan God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom