• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

KAP151

tumblr_m5mfa6OocG1qb05kio1_500.jpg

Sounds like everything I ever wanted. Straight into my veins.

The Jason

wow I'm overwhelmed by info/joy right now. I love that they are making it more like SA.

I just hope it holds up graphically, I worry about the frame rate and draw distance. A next gen version would be incredible.

Regen health -10000. Put difficulty levels: For example, Baby difficulty gets regen health, noraml and over gets a health system.

Any videos featuring gameplay?

Lakitu

st5fu
I really hope they give us another ambient station like the Journey. Driving through the night in Liberty City with that on is one of the most atmospheric things you can do in a game.

Ziek

Hype is reaching critical levels.

I may even preorder this. Probably after the first gameplay videos are released.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Cheats better be in this via cellphone. They make the sandbox game for me a million times more fun at times. Don't skimp on this R*!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Where does it say that the soundtrack is original?

Destructoid:

I have to mention the music. No, not the radio stuff. There's an actual original score now that you'll hear in missions and other activities that immerse you into the experience like never before. There was an absolutely peaceful musical score playing while flying through the sky in the parachute, and then a different one while we were underwater.

Missions like Blitz Play also offer a dynamic score that changes to match with whatever is happening on the screen, like in Max Payne 3. I'm sure the radio stations will be filled with amazing things like before, but I'm actually more excited for these original scores that adds so much more to what you're doing.

Seperate from the radio, obviously.

Gorillaz

There's a reason Saint's Row 4 is coming out a month early.
That said, man it's going to make their expansion pack turned 'sequel' look all the worse. I REALLY think SR4 is going to permanently damage the brand. I could see Sleeping Dogs taking 'second best' title from SR in that department, but I'd have to see Sleeping Dogs 2 under a publisher that could turn it into something. And the way games are now, that pretty much leaves ... 2K, publishers of GTA.

A month early, Deep Silver putting out, from what I have seen, a half ass sequel to SR3 will also feel the wrath of GTA V.

SR4 is fucked, and I personally think they needed another year.

Everything will be eaten alive this fall. Got damn the NPD will be interesting.

Regen health -10000. Put difficulty levels: For example, Baby difficulty gets regen health, noraml and over gets a health system.

It only regenerates up to 50% of your health, or something like that. In an open world game, I think having it can be forgiven, because it cuts down on frustration from trying to find a food place or a stray health kit lying around. But I would like it if they don't have that annoying red screen of death like in Red Dead. That shit pisses me off, and it's in almost every game these days.

Bullshit.
Halo 3 Legendary & COD4 Veteran difficulty showed how balls to the wall difficult games can be while still having health regen.

I HATED the health meter in previous GTA games. Get hit & start backtracking, searching every inch to find any remaining health packs halfway through a mission.
I'm GLAD this archaic method of play is dead & buried!

Bullshit.
Halo 3 Legendary & COD4 Veteran difficulty showed how balls to the wall difficult games can be while still having health regen.

I HATED the health meter in previous GTA games. Get hit & start backtracking, searching every inch to find any remaining health packs halfway through a mission.
I'm GLAD this archaic method of play is dead & buried!

The main reason they're hard is because of the level design. Because you can regenerate health, the devs can throw more bullshit at you, making it impossible to avoid getting hit, and having to soak up the damage then hide and wait for the jelly on the screen to fade away.

Marleyman

Banned
Bullshit.

I'm GLAD this archaic method of play is dead & buried
!

I feel that to an extent. I wasn't a big fan of having to find a hotdog stand to get health back, which made it more difficult in the middle of a fight/shootout and the damn guy giving out the hotdog is killed.

UrbanRats

This has to be nerve racking for the competition.

I know Acti and EA have to be a little nervous that the returning sales king is back this year. GTA's Mass appeal is legendary, and the fact it isn't a military shooter makes it more "open" for people.

I see people having a soft spot for Watch Dogs, plu Ubi can muscle a good deal of marketing.
In general though i see a lot of games getting slaughtered this Fall, simply because there is too much stuff.

In the span of like 4 months:

Saint's Row 4
GTA V
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Call of Duty Ghosts
Battlefield 4
Killzone ShadowFall
Batman Arkham Origins
the new Avalanche open world game on Mad Max.

bolded ones being open world games.

Plus whatever Nintendo has in mind, PLUS the launch of TWO new major consoles.

erm, someone is going to be disappointed here, i doubt it'll be Activision or R*, though.

You mean after the game is released?

I remember Rockstar releasing gameplay videos for GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas before they released. Even RDR, LA Noire, and Max Payne 3 had gameplay video series.

So weird they're only secretive about GTA V and GTA IV before it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After Vice City, did anyone ever even use prostitutes? All that controversy for something that was completely replaced. Maybe it's because I was older, but I'm gonna go for the food because it heals me quicker in SA and 4. Hookers, I gotta pull over and honk and they have to actually BE a hooker then I gotta wait some more. It was usually quicker in 3 to just whip by the hospital
I see people having a soft spot for Watch Dogs, plu Ubi can muscle a good deal of marketing.
In general though i see a lot of games getting slaughtered this Fall, simply because there is too much stuff.

Saint's Row 4
GTA V
Watch Dogs

Call of Duty Ghosts
Battlefield 4
Killzone ShadowFall
Batman Arkham Origins

erm, someone is going to be disappointed here, i doubt it'll be Activision or R*, though.

Splinter Cell is in August as well. Infamous Second Son is also rumored to be launch so that's another open world game. The Bureau is also probably going to get killed by this.

Bring on the open world games though. I'll buy them all.

UrbanRats

After Vice City, did anyone ever even use prostitutes? All that controversy for something that was completely replaced. Maybe it's because I was older, but I'm gonna go for the food because it heals me quicker in SA and 4. Hookers, I gotta pull over and honk and they have to actually BE a hooker then I gotta wait some more. It was usually quicker in 3 to just whip by the hospital

Hookers recharged your health? I had even forgotten that.
I must've gone with hookers like 4 times in GTA IV, in like 100 hours of play time.

Raptomex

I remember Rockstar releasing gameplay videos for GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas before they released. Even the RDR, LA Noire, and Max Payne 3 had gameplay video series.

So weird they're only secretive about GTA V and GTA IV before it.
Was it gameplay from the player's perspective or gameplay in cinematic fashion? RDR and MP3 are not GTA. I don't remember ever seeing a non-cinematic video for any of the Houser GTA games before release.

Also, this regenerating health, is this all speculation or confirmed?

Fjordson

Wow. Just woke up and after reading a few paragraphs from the OP I'm already a little shocked at some of this.

As for health regen, bring it on. I really hated having to manage my health out in the world. Especially if I'm just fooling around in a cop chase or something and then "uh oh, need to scour the sidewalks for a hot dog vendors I I can get out and buy a hot dog for health". Health regen makes way more sense to me.

Was it gameplay from the player's perspective or gameplay in cinematic fashion? RDR and MP3 are not GTA. I don't remember ever seeing a non-cinematic video for any of the Houser GTA games before release.

Also, this regenerating health, is this all speculation or confirmed?

Definitely gameplay perspective. I remember coming home from high school when Vice City was yet to be released and eagerly anticipating the next videos. I specifically remember seeing Tommy Vercetti getting into the Comet and showing the driving mechanics.

UrbanRats

Wow. Just woke up and after reading a few paragraphs from the OP I'm already a little shocked at some of this.

As for health regen, bring it on. I really hated having to manage my health out in the world. Especially if I'm just fooling around in a cop chase or something and then "uh oh, need to scour the sidewalks for a hot dog vendors I I can get out and buy a hot dog for health". Health regen makes way more sense to me.

"Oops, fell off a slightly too high slope, need to detour to find a hot dog vendor!".
Fuck.That.

I really hope they give us another ambient station like the Journey. Driving through the night in Liberty City with that on is one of the most atmospheric things you can do in a game.

God yes. Vice City sound track in general was as masterpiece.

Definitely gameplay perspective. I remember coming home from high school when Vice City was yet to be released and eagerly anticipating the next videos. I specifically remember seeing Tommy Vercetti getting into the Comet and showing the driving mechanics.

I don't remember this at all Can you find videos of the gameplay that was shown?

Raptomex

I don't remember this at all Can you find videos of the gameplay that was shown?
Maybe it was a leak? Are you sure it was official?

"Oops, fell off a slightly too high slope, need to detour to find a hot dog vendor!".
Fuck.That.

"Oops, fell off a 5 foot concrete barrier, ugh, my health is so low, let me cross the street, OH GOD A CAR TAPPED ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING EUPHORIA PHYSICS STOP STUMBLING OH GOD MY CONTROLLER'S RUMBLING THE CAR'S STILL DAMAGING ME I'M DEAD"

Thanks GTAIV.

Fjordson

Fuck.That.
Totally. "Oh no, I accidentally ran into the vendor and he's running away. No more health regen here!" It could be pretty annoying at times and really felt outdated in IV.

Anyways, this all sounds way more ambitious than even I thought it was be. All of the RPG stats, the breadth of radom events, the big list of characters you can recruit, buying properties, car customization, deeper character customization. Didn't expect any of this. Crazy.

cackhyena

Saint's Row 4
GTA V
Watch Dogs

Call of Duty Ghosts
Battlefield 4
Killzone ShadowFall
Batman Arkham Origins

Ground Zeroes is out this year?

Marleyman

Banned
Anyways, this all sounds way more ambitious than even I thought it was be. All of the RPG stats, the breadth of radom events, the big list of characters you can recruit, buying properties, car customization, deeper character customization. Didn't expect any of this. Crazy.

This is why there was a delay; none of this was talked about in the GI cover story months ago.

Meh. Sounds like there's a fuckton of micro management. Don't like the sound of that

If there's one thing GTAIV was desperately missing, it was management of any kind. There was so little to do that game. I truly hope the heist panning + economy + gameplay character switching + character/weapon customization + activities are as intricate as these previews would have you believe. Sure roaming the world is cool, but I still want to be kept busy in meaningful ways.

bengraven

Love the RDR touches (ambient soundtrack when not in a car, dynamic mini-missions).

I'm looking forward to this, but my hype isn't nearly as strong as it was post-SA for GTAIV.

And it still breaks my heart we're getting this instead of RDR2 for the time being.

Fjordson

This is why there was a delay; none of this was talked about in the GI cover story months ago.
Yeah, that could be it.

I love it man. Sounds like a much larger than experience than I've been thinking of while waiting for this game. R* is really going all out. I need to read these previews individuall, I've only just scanned the OP and I'm already excited by a lot of this info.

Top Bottom