• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

I think the progression/reward dynamic is a legitimate concern moving forward though.
When you start the game parachuting out of a helicopter, one wonders if they're peaking too early.

However everything in the game sounds like a load of fun and if it plays as well as reported, they don't really need to have a progression system at all.

For IV they were teaching me things on late missions I had already done/sought out hours earlier, so it probably is a good change.

Raptomex

I wonder if you can hire people to help you rob the liquor marts and other minor shops? I also wonder if after one of the big heists, can you still go back and rob that place again afterwards with your crew. That would be pretty cool.

On the topic of the map being available from the start, I can understand why people preferred the previous games' way of doing it, but I'm glad it's unlocked now. Locking certain parts of the map was more frustrating than anything else.

each time I see this picture a Kamikaze idea comes up in my mind !

cuban-gi.jpg

I didn't notice the police car in the field to the right until now. Seems to be driving across to cut the player off.

Muffdraul

Sounds dumb to me.
Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Your inability to understand a very simple concept has been duly noted.

I think the progression/reward dynamic is a legitimate concern moving forward though.
When you start the game parachuting out of a helicopter, one wonders if they're peaking too early.

I really think that's just the beginning of the demo they showed, not the game. I remember the description of the first GTA IV demo shown to the media was Niko calling Jacob and then meeting up to buy some weapons.

I always assumed most people keep a "Story Complete" file around for that. That's what I do.
I do too but Red Dead Redemption fucks you over in this regard as well...

Just boot up the multiplayer. In both RDR and GTA IV, the entire map in fully open from the start.
It's not really the same.

Anyway I'm surprised to see so many people want games to be even more segmented and blocked off.

BigDug13

You guys don't get it. You can't block off areas of a town that don't have bridges across bodies of water as segregation.

GTA3: 3 islands
VC: 2 islands
SA: 3 landmasses separated by rivers with bridges able to be blocked
GTAIV: Islands
RDR: Landmasses separated by water

GTA V, not a set of landmasses separated by bodies of water. Impossible to segregate without it being completely immersion breaking. It's Los Angeles. How do you put up enough roadblocks to prevent someone from getting from one side of town to the other?

Put me down in the "happy it's open from the start" camp. One of my favorite thing to do in open world games is become familiar with the world as much as possible before tackling story missions that could otherwise become confusing if you don't know the world map. Having the islands blocked in past GTAs was more of an annoyance to me. You can still have that sense of progression without forcibly blocking off parts of the world by moving the narrative to different spots as the game progresses.

Aguirre

You guys don't get it. You can't block off areas of a town that doesn't have bridges across bodies of water as segregation.

GTA V, not a set of landmasses separated by bodies of water. Impossible to segregate without it being completely immersion breaking.

unless they implement a system which requires you to have some item (id? passport? idk) that allows you to cross into different county's. without said item, you're wanted by the police so your time in these new areas cant be slowly and thoroughly enjoyed.

BigDug13

unless they implement a system which requires you to have some item (id? passport? idk) that allows you to cross into different county's. without said item, you're wanted by the police so your time in these new areas cant be slowly and thoroughly enjoyed.

Yeah, but it's clear that they designed this city layout to be open from the start as it's the first 3D GTA without clear separate landmasses to block off.

Muffdraul

I understood it, just sounds dumb.

So you're just a cock, then. Someone who goes around telling people their personal preferences and opinions are dumb because you don't happen to share them. No law against that, carry on.

You guys don't get it. You can't block off areas of a town that don't have bridges across bodies of water as segregation.

GTA V, not a set of landmasses separated by bodies of water. Impossible to segregate without it being completely immersion breaking. It's Los Angeles. How do you put up enough roadblocks to prevent someone from getting from one side of town to the other?

I always assumed it was going to be road closures due to bad earthquake damage. It's the state of San Andreas, after all.

MormaPope

Banned
Technically, Liberty City was completely open from the start for both expansions. Didn't hurt mission pacing or exploration at all.

BigDug13

Yes, people "get it" - No need to be Einstein to "Get it" - That doesn't mean people can't prefer the other method.

Actually no, some people don't "get it" as they're trying to argue that it should still have been implemented even though clearly the city design doesn't support it.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
So you're just a cock, then. Someone who goes around telling people their personal preferences and opinions are dumb because you don't happen to share them. No law against that, carry on.

No I just said it sounds dumb to me I'm not saying anything against you liking, stop putting words in my mouth.

Muffdraul

Technically, Liberty City was completely open from the start for both expansions. Didn't hurt mission pacing or exploration at all.

I wouldn't expect them to re-close the bridges in the DLC. They're aimed at players who've already unlocked the map in IV vanilla.

Muffdraul

No I just said it sounds dumb to me I'm not saying anything against you liking, stop putting words in my mouth.

Oh awesome, let's argue the precise semantics of what you said. This is always so much fun. "I didn't say YOU are dumb to prefer unlocking the map. I said unlocking the map is dumb... and you just happen to prefer it." OK, makes perfect sense.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think that the whole map being explorable from the very beginning was one of the best things when I heard about this initially.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Oh awesome, let's argue the precise semantics of what you said. This is always so much fun. "I didn't say YOU are dumb to prefer unlocking the map. I said unlocking the map is dumb... and you just happen to prefer it." OK, makes perfect sense.

Jeez what got your panties in a twist?

From the guy that constantly call other people's opinion "dumb" because he disagrees.

I've never done that.

UrbanRats

However everything in the game sounds like a load of fun and if it plays as well as reported, they don't really need to have a progression system at all.

For IV they were teaching me things on late missions I had already done/sought out hours earlier, so it probably is a good change.

Yeah but let's be honest, that mechanic always backfired on them, at least in the latest entries.

A huge chunk (i don't remember the percentage, but it was something between 60 and 80%) of people who played RDR did not even get to see Mexico.
And in general, pacing was the HUGE problem with R* games, something they can very well fix with a less linear narrative, a tighter story (thanks to the three characters, now you don't need one to hop from quest giver to quest giver, like a compulsive backstabber) and every time you replay the game, you don't need to get through the chores, if you just want to look at something in the desert.

Simply keeping a post game save is also a different thing, since the state of the world (or the character) usually changes throughout the game, and some activities may not be available later on.

The first time around, unlocking the new island is an event, all the subsequent playthroughs, it's just a liberation.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah but let's be honest, that mechanic always backfired on them, at least in the latest entries.
I think there are times when it works.

For example in RDR: Mexico seemed alright, distance wise. They can keep that sectioned off for a bit.
But the river at Thieves' Landing was 20% the distance of the distance of the Mexico river.

If I gave a my horse a steroid-laden apple I could have jumped it. ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad about them not sectioning off big landmasses in this game. But I also think the idea of the 3 protagonists and the radius they act in mission wise (at the start at least) will give the game good variety.

Tr4nce

Let's not become like the folks over at the GTA forums with all the name calling and everything, gentlemen.

Anyway, when I first heard about the map fully being open right from the start I also thought that was a bit of a letdown. But later I thought it is better this way. I always found myself not really enjoying the game because I was constantly thinking about 'whoa I can't wait to see the other areas of the map' and rushing through the game because of this which is a shame of course. That's not how you enjoy a game. And with the new multiple protagonists approach, it would be silly to not have the map open right away fully from the start. Besides, that the map is fully explorable from the get go doesn't have to mean that you can indeed go everywhere right away IMO. Maybe certain little areas, roads or other things are still closed off for some time in the beginning. Who know.

All I know is I can't wait for this game. Finally the country side is back and it it's going te be huge if all the stories are to be believed. Awesome. The colors look very good as well. Not as grey and boring as GTAIV anyway. Can't wait to go exploring. In some of the previews I read that while Franklin was parachuting, you could see people fishing, people racing against each other on ATV's or bikes and even a park ranger driving somewhere in the mountains. Woohoo.

MormaPope

Banned
What I'm glad about is Trevor being in the country/desert would make traversal really slow, if not for the planes he can fly. Sure, doing a long road trip on the highway will be awesome, but the ability to explore the entire game essentially in a plane early on is great.

Sethos

Banned
I still can't wait to drive around the countryside, just taking in that ( hopefully ) RDR atmosphere, enjoying the music ... I want this game so bad. I haven't been this hyped about a game since GTA 4.

I loved taking the planes in that abandoned airfield in the desert and just fly around around the map above the waters. Seeing time change was a bonus feature.

God I love SA, and it's the only PS2 game next to ICO, SotC, and God of War 2 that I've kepted.

UrbanRats

I think there are times when it works.

For example in RDR: Mexico seemed alright, distance wise. They can keep that sectioned off for a bit.
But the river at Thieves' Landing was 20% the distance of the distance of the Mexico river.

If I gave a my horse a steroid-laden apple I could have jumped it. ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad about them not sectioning off big landmasses in this game. But I also think the idea of the 3 protagonists and the radius they act in mission wise (at the start at least) will give the game good variety.

More than geography, i'm talking about time and pacing, though.

Aguirre

Let's not become like the folks over at the GTA forums with all the name calling and everything, gentlemen.

Anyway, when I first heard about the map fully being open right from the start I also thought that was a bit of a letdown. But later I thought it is better this way. I always found myself not really enjoying the game because I was constantly thinking about 'whoa I can't wait to see the other areas of the map' and rushing through the game because of this which is a shame of course. That's not how you enjoy a game. And with the new multiple protagonists approach, it would be silly to not have the map open right away fully from the start. Besides, that the map is fully explorable from the get go doesn't have to mean that you can indeed go everywhere right away IMO. Maybe certain little areas, roads or other things are still closed off for some time in the beginning. Who know.

All I know is I can't wait for this game. Finally the country side is back and it it's going te be huge if all the stories are to be believed. Awesome. The colors look very good as well. Not as grey and boring as GTAIV anyway. Can't wait to go exploring. In some of the previews I read that while Franklin was parachuting, you could see people fishing, people racing against each other on ATV's or bikes and even a park ranger driving somewhere in the mountains. Woohoo.

in SA, there is obviously areas closed. before you are allowed into a new area, you build up a familiarity with the areas youre allowed to roam due to missions and just messing about. when you unlock a new area, you're very excited and raring to go and explore. then you build up a familiarity with that area via missions and again, messing about.

by the end game, there really isnt all that much left to explore. except the odd nook and cranny.

but i think by allowing the area to be completely explorable from the start, it will make you feel overwhelmed and will very much make you become lost and disorientated. imagine... just using the local landmarks to pinpoint where you are and to get your bearings. i cant wait.

Raptomex

I really hope the wanted system gets an overhaul. I know it's 5 stars instead of 6. And I'm happy about the AI overhaul from what I've heard. They should bring back spike strips.

UrbanRats

but i think by allowing the area to be completely explorable from the start, it will make you feel overwhelmed and will very much make you become lost and disorientated. imagine... just using the local landmarks to pinpoint where you are and to get your bearings. i cant wait.
Yes, that sounds awesome.

Raptomex

in SA, there is obviously areas closed. before you are allowed into a new area, you build up a familiarity with the areas youre allowed to roam due to missions and just messing about. when you unlock a new area, you're very excited and raring to go and explore. then you build up a familiarity with that area via missions and again, messing about.

by the end game, there really isnt all that much left to explore. except the odd nook and cranny.

Yes. I love it. I still don't know the countryside or desert by heart in San Andreas. The cities I have down, though.

MormaPope

Banned
I really hope the wanted system gets an overhaul. I know it's 5 stars instead of 6. And I'm happy about the AI overhaul from what I've heard. They should bring back spike strips.

I thought about it and it makes perfect sense that the wanted system in Red Dead will be in GTA V.

By that I mean doing a lot of heinous and reckless stuff in free roam will raise a stat bar that pertains to how much police notice you. Wearing the same clothes after a killing spree and getting away? The police might notice that/you if you've caused destruction in the past. Which in turn starts a one star chase.

Having to actually change your appearance and mix up heist outfits to keep police off of you would be refreshing.

Top Bottom