• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

MormaPope

Banned
Watch Dogs previews.
this is a joke, not mean to be taken literally; the views expressed in this post do not necessarily represent the views of this user.

I saw the detail list and watched the gameplay video, felt overwhelmed and bored at the same time. Saints Row IV is looking more interesting than Watch Dogs at this point.

Muffdraul

No but saying shit on the internet that isn't transparent or even a joke, then do "thatsthejoke.jpg" is lame and annoying.

To bring this at least somewhat back to topic... This reminds me of when St. Michael was so clueless that he didn't realize it was intentional when Packie said to Derrick "guess I hit the needle on the head" instead of nail.

UrbanRats

I saw the detail list and watched the gameplay video, felt overwhelmed and bored at the same time. Saints Row IV is looking more interesting than Watch Dogs at this point.

Uhm, i kind of agree with that.
I'm still thinking of getting it D1 though (SR4, too).

Either way i'm waiting for more info on both, before pre-ordering or anything like that.

Fjordson

I don't really care about the map being locked or unlocked. Entering new areas does make for some cool moments (like Mexico in Red Dead) but it's not a huge deal to me. I usually play straight through the story first anyways so that progresses you through the different areas usually. And this way people who want to fool around right away can explore the entire map and really go buckwild.

SJRB

Gold Member
With the three different characters living in completely different parts of the city, it is pretty much impossible to section off certain parts untill a certain story percentage is reached like previous GTA games have done.

Opening up the entire map from the beginning is not a feature, it is inevitable.

Raptomex

Locked off areas or not I don't want Area 51 (69) to appear on the map just for immersion sake. It would be awesome if it's in the game and you just end up there on your own or through some crazy missions.

Fjordson

With the three different characters living in completely different parts of the city, it is pretty much impossible to section off certain parts untill a certain story percentage is reached like previous GTA games have done.

Opening up the entire map from the beginning is not a feature, it is inevitable.
Good point. And as far as I'm aware, there aren't any major bridges or bodies of water in between the different areas to serve as lines of separation, so it'd be awkward.

Persona86

Banned

What would be cool thou, is if the few final missions were big heists in Vegas or something random like that. Surprises are what make me tick.

Also, turns out the "exclusive" stuff that X360 magazine hinted at a few days ago, was just flatout bullshit.
Kind of expected anyway, still, don't waste your time and money on it.
The article is 1 page, no new screens nor infos.

It looks like there are 2 different XBox 360 magazines.

The one from today's preview - https://twitter.com/OXMUK

The one that claims they have something that will beat the other previews - https://twitter.com/X360_Magazine

Just beat GTA IV again.

Fabulous, amazingly immersive game but narratively unfocused as all hell.
The thematic core is interesting but the rest is hit or miss.

Hopefully V remedies this and Michael's family, both literal and extended, ain't just a throwaway prop this time around.

Dug

Banned
Here is the rumored list of the Voice Actors for the main three:

i1fEaEk.jpg

I've listened to Ned's and Stevens stuff and they sound spot on IMO.

UrbanRats

Guys you should remove (and don't quote) that video, really.
Gonna get you banned.

Here is the rumored list of the Voice Actors for the main three:

i1fEaEk.jpg

I've listened to Ned's and Stevens stuff and they sound spot on IMO.
I have to listen to Trevor's and Michael's is obvious enough, but Franklin's is also him 99%, the voice is just identical.

UrbanRats

wow I'm calling this legit. Seriously that shit checks out.

Ned Luke is a given at this point.
Shawn Fonteno sounds really identical.

Does anyone have an audio file of Ogg where he sounds like Trevor, though? I mean the face is spot on, and i'ts most likely him (given the infos) i would like to hear the voice though.

On his site he has voice over reels that do not really sound that much like Trevor.

Ned Luke is a given at this point.
Shawn Fonteno sounds really identical.

Does anyone have an audio file of Ogg where he sounds like Trevor, though? I mean the face is spot on, and i'ts most likely him (given the infos) i would like to hear the voice though.

On his site he has voice over reels that do not really sound that much like Trevor.

I haven't found a clip that sound identical to trevor, but he's a voice actor, he can do more than one voice.

Tr4nce

I just wanna say that I'm incredibly looking forward to this game. The screenshots, man... Wow. The color of the blue sky is just perfect. GTAV looks so much more more vibrant and colorful than GTAIV. The sunsets, the sunrises. The countryside. Don't care about the graphics that much, I hope this will finally be a full fledged GTA game again. And things are looking bright. It all looks like it's gonna be so much better than GTAIV. Awesome. My gaming passion is almost gone, but I can't wait to go ye olde game shoppe, and run home with this game.

:)

I just wanna say that I'm incredibly looking forward to this game. The screenshots, man... Wow. The color of the blue sky is just perfect. GTAV looks so much more more vibrant and colorful than GTAIV. :)
I find this kinda tragic tbh.

IV looked so beautiful with natural lighting. The sunsets in that game were to die for.
V looks pretty good too but I find the sugary over-saturation to be a bit of a turn off.

UrbanRats

IV looked so beautiful with natural lighting. The sunsets in that game were to die for.
V looks pretty good too but I find the sugary over-saturation to be a bit of a turn off.

I'm really of the opposite opinion.
GTAV looks very natural (except for some instagram bonanza in some sunset shots) whereas GTA IV was too monochromatic at all times.

Look how natural it looks in mid-day lighting:

Then you have more free artistic interpretations, too:
ix5H0b06pXWcx.gif

ib04fFoInRn0eh.gif

But in general i find it much more varied, natural and flat out beautiful.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

I think the more colourful look suits GTA more TBH, IV looked great but compared to Red Dead and this game it starts to look worse IMO.

IV definitely had more muted tones but monochromatic is a little silly unless blue color filter was on.

RDR was pretty much perfect, IMO, but I suppose they want the other the top thing.

UrbanRats

IV definitely had more muted tones but monochromatic is a little silly unless blue color filter was on.

RDR was pretty much perfect, IMO, but I suppose they want the other the top thing.
I just wish they would tone down the instagram colors in the countryside sunsets:

They look unnatural, i didn't like them in The Witcher 2 and i don't like them here.
I suspect they're mostly to try and hide the limited draw distance with something that look more like fog, but they could still use more natural hues.

I just wish they would tone down the instagram colors in the countryside sunsets:

*pics*

They look unnatural, i didn't like them in The Witcher 2 and i don't like them here.
I suspect they're mostly to try and hide the limited draw distance with something that look more like fog, but they could still use more natural hues.

Maybe those hues are natural, for San Andreas. The fictional game world. Also a place where rampaging criminals get into helicopter chases in the heart of the city. When have any of the previous GTA games had completely realistic hues, or realistic anything, for that matter?

Also, the effect is purely aesthetic, in my opinion. There is no evidence it exists to mask pop-in or, as you claim, a limited draw distance. On the contrary, Rockstar has gone on record stating that the draw distance is even further in this game that it was in GTA4, and correct me if I'm wrong, but RDR, too.

I love the way the game looks. It will be very easy to spend long stetchs of time in the game since it looks so comfortable and refreshing.

UrbanRats

Maybe those hues are natural, for San Andreas. The fictional game world. Also a place where rampaging criminals get into helicopter chases in the heart of the city. When have any of the previous GTA games had completely realistic hues, or realistic anything, for that matter?

Also, the effect is purely aesthetic, in my opinion. There is no evidence it exists to mask pop-in or, as you claim, a limited draw distance. On the contrary, Rockstar has gone on record stating that the draw distance is even further in this game that it was in GTA4, and correct me if I'm wrong, but RDR, too.

I have ZERO idea of what you're talking about.

What has the fact that it's a fictional gameworld have ANYTHING to do with what I would like them to do with the colors? It's not an alien planet, it's supposed to replicate Earth, and while they have the freedom to do whatever the fuck they want, i'm saying what i like and what i don't like, in the art direction.
What kind of a lazy argument is that? Might as well come up with "it's their game!!"

As for the draw distance, i actually think it's a clever way to mask it, but you ALWAYS have to deal with LoD and draw distance, especially when working with this little memory.
"draws farther than GTA4" =/= "draws to infinity".

Anyway, more natural or not, i would like them to tone down a bit the violet and blue haze.

Can't spend much time on it now, but something of the sort:

ib1LzTualSkogL.png

Which is also closer to the sunset gif i posted above (probably a different ToD).
And before someone else gets offended, it's just a personal preference of mine, i'm not saying R* artists are disgraceful hacks.

What has the fact that it's a fictional gameworld have ANYTHING to do with what I would like them to do with the colors? It's not an alien planet, it's supposed to replicate Earth, and while they have the freedom to do whatever the fuck they want, i'm saying what i like and what i don't like, in the art direction.
What kind of a lazy argument is that? Might as well come up with "it's their game!!"

As for the draw distance, i actually think it's a clever way to mask it, but you ALWAYS have to deal with LoD and draw distance, especially when working with this little memory.

I'm talking about your comment about the hues in the image, and the draw distance. That's why I quoted you.

You said the hues look unnatural. Then I said maybe they're natural for the world of San Andreas, which is a fictional game world. So yeah, it's their game, they can do what they want. That's correct.

I never said drawing further than GTA4 = drawing to infinity.

So, you dislike the hues. I like them. Cool. Moving on.

I love that Rockstar has opted to at least partially model Michael and Trevor, and to a lesser extent Franklin, on the supposed voice actors for the characters. It makes sense, and it adds to the immersion factor.

UrbanRats

You said the hues look unnatural. Then I said maybe they're natural for the world of San Andreas, which is a fictional game world. So yeah, it's their game, they can do what they want. That's correct.
Yes, compared to the rest of the time of day hues, which are very photo realistic.

So, you dislike the hues. I like them. Cool. Moving on.
For the record, i dislike that particular hue, not all of the ones shown.
But yeah, i'm cool with other people liking them, Bucket likes GTA IV's which i find horrible.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Anyway, more natural or not, i would like them to tone down a bit the violet and blue haze.

Can't spend much time on it now, but something of the sort:

ib1LzTualSkogL.png

Which is also closer to the sunset gif i posted above (probably a different ToD).
And before someone else gets offended, it's just a personal preference of mine, i'm not saying R* artists are disgraceful hacks.

I very much disagree with your style and art suggestions and hope they keep it exactly as they've shown it, I feel they've made a perfect choice on how to push colors and make the world look vivid.

UrbanRats

Well if anything they're showing a lot of variety in mood and palettes, which is good.
I'm liking most of them, too, so not too shabby. :p

What has the fact that it's a fictional gameworld have ANYTHING to do with what I would like them to do with the colors? It's not an alien planet, it's supposed to replicate Earth

Dunno when the last time you've been hiking in the mountains, but every time I'm up there on a sunny day there's a blue/foggy haze on the mountains in the distance. Their shots look very natural and realistic to me.

For instance, I took this in Yellowstone:

UrbanRats

GTAV's blue hour/blue filter, alone, puts the look of this game above GTAIV's IMO.

I mean c'mon...

...that's like the best hue in anything, ever. Love it. Saturated tones + improved lighting >>> GTAIV's "more muted than NYC's ever been" look.
Yes, i love that too.

Dunno when the last time you've been hiking in the mountains, but every time I'm up there on a sunny day there's a blue/foggy haze on the mountains in the distance. Their shots look very natural and realistic to me.

For instance, I took this in Yellowstone:
That's why i said i find it a clever way to mask draw distance problems.
It's still obvious that it's a way to mask that, though, since if you compare your Yellowstone shot to this one:

The distance at which the density of the atmosphere appear obvious, it's incredibly closer, making it look kind of weird.
On the distant montains it looks amazing, instead:

Another pics where it looks weird:

Anyway, i'd make a distinction here between what is more of a Draw Distance issue, and what is a HUE choice i simply don't like, like in this shot:
Which i find has a really offputting palette.

MormaPope

Banned
Just beat Vice City on a playthrough, beat it in like 7 hours. Something I never knew is you don't need to buy the Malibu Club or do the bank robbery mission to reach the end, which also means you don't need to do the Phil missions either.

Once you can buy the printing machine factory and do the three missions that come along with it the final mission is unlocked.

Top Bottom