• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New iPods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sriram

I guess your right. I can also get student discount too so it would probably only save me around £40 max. Scratch that idea, ill just have to scrape together £275. Why does apple charge so much more everywhere than in america?

Don't let me dissuade you....

You'd have to have alot of faith that it doesn't stuff up. If you really want to buy it overseas I guess you'd wait a couple of weeks make sure Apple gets their shit straight and then buy it relatively bug free. Surely the Apple hardware can't change that much after 1 generation......:)

$150 is quite a bit of money after all

Also try bargaining at the store, say you can get it cheaper online and maybe they'll reduce their prices as well....

It's not just Apple it's everyone, atleast you don't get as jibbed there as in Australia.

I was going to get to get an iRiver hp-140 for about $650 (last display and online bargaining chip) until I realised was still getting jibbed for about AU$150.

Sriram

no, its a good thing you said about the warrantee. After student discount its 275 pounds so only £60 extra. Then theres shipping fees to think about. I'd rather pay the extra just incase it dies on me sometime.

nitewulf

i think i'll get a 4g ipod. too tempting w/ the student discount. tell me dudes, is there a third party FM radio device that will hook into the earphone port? what are my options. what about third party remotes w/ lcd display?

Fusebox

Banned
retropod_waist.jpg

http://www.retropod.com/

:p

Seriously I'm being swayed onto the dark side...for the price.

Do you know if there's any plans for Apple to release a 60Gig?
Also no remote...wtf?
Didn't the 3G 40Gig come with a remote and dock, I know they're trying to reduce the price but seriously I need a remote.......and still no lcd.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Fresh Prince said:
Seriously I'm being swayed onto the dark side...for the price.

Do you know if there's any plans for Apple to release a 60Gig?
Also no remote...wtf?
Didn't the 3G 40Gig come with a remote and dock, I know they're trying to reduce the price but seriously I need a remote.......and still no lcd.

Toshiba says that Apple ordered their tiny 60GB drives, Apple just as quickly said "No, no, we don't have any plans to announce a 60GB iPod." The simple truth is that the answer is "maybe."

The lack of a remote is odd, as even the 20GB 3G came with one. I'd say that of all of the axed included accessories, it's the only one you really NEED. The dock is pointless unless you plan on using the line-out circuitry, and the included starter holster is just that, free for a reason. You can get something leagues better from Belkin at any CompUSA or Apple Store.

Apparently at headfi, they said when they first came out with the deal, the remote and case came with the deal now later in the day it doesn't.
What is Apple up to?
link

xsarien

daedsiluap
Fresh Prince said:
Apparently at headfi, they said when they first came out with the deal, the remote and case came with the deal now later in the day it doesn't.
What is Apple up to?
link

Yeah, yeah, it's all over the Mac boards. I don't know the reason, and pulling it without explanation is a pretty shitty thing to do, I don't think anyone's really going to defend it. If I had to guess as to why, I'd suggest inventory problems with those items, and culling them from the list of freebies until they can get more is the only solution outside of pulling them down from the store all together.

:: shrug ::

One lesson you learn regarding Apple very quickly: Never buy their stuff as soon as it's announced. Give it a few weeks, maybe a month of breathing room.

fart

Savant
xsarien said:
Toshiba says that Apple ordered their tiny 60GB drives, Apple just as quickly said "No, no, we don't have any plans to announce a 60GB iPod." The simple truth is that the answer is "maybe."

The lack of a remote is odd, as even the 20GB 3G came with one. I'd say that of all of the axed included accessories, it's the only one you really NEED. The dock is pointless unless you plan on using the line-out circuitry, and the included starter holster is just that, free for a reason. You can get something leagues better from Belkin at any CompUSA or Apple Store.
that's it. 60gb = next refresh.

jobs: SIXTY GIGABYTES!! THAT'S LIKE A SUPERCOMPUTER, BUT IT'S IN YOUR POCKET!!!!

the apple remote sucks a big one anyways, and the iskin destroys the freebie one.

i think they pulled those offers because they're trying to lower the prices without cutting into their margins though. competition's heating up.

One lesson you learn regarding Apple very quickly: Never buy their stuff as soon as it's announced. Give it a few weeks, maybe a month of breathing room.
actually apple marketing has very concrete evidence that apple buyers _only_ tend to buy when something new is announced. that's why they space the announcements like they do.

after careful consideration, i don't think i'm gonna get one of these 4g ipods. i like my 3g ones...plus i like how the buttons light up. the click wheel is a nice addition, but i don't understand why apple is going back to moveable parts. i really really love the touch-sensitivity of mine.

there's comparison pictures here:
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,2393,l=&s=1489&a=131820&po=7,00.asp

anyway...if someone can propose a really good offer for my 3g 40 gb...then i might trade up. but if not, then i'm sticking with what i got....=P

bionic77

smirkrevenge said:
after careful consideration, i don't think i'm gonna get one of these 4g ipods. i like my 3g ones...plus i like how the buttons light up. the click wheel is a nice addition, but i don't understand why apple is going back to moveable parts. i really really love the touch-sensitivity of mine.

there's comparison pictures here:
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,2393,l=&s=1489&a=131820&po=7,00.asp

anyway...if someone can propose a really good offer for my 3g 40 gb...then i might trade up. but if not, then i'm sticking with what i got....=P

Yeah, I am totally happy with my 3G Ipod. The only thing I want from the new 4G is the 12 hour battery, but 99.9999% of the time the 6-8 hours is more then enough for my needs and when it isn't I have a DC adapter for my car (which is where I use my Ipod more often then not).

nitewulf said:
so basically all of us are gonna be ipod brothers?
ewwwwww.

Not yet.....

Does anyone know the plans of the retailers on the old 3G. Are they reducing them or what? I've heard 'jaded' reports that Apple is going to still sell them at the same price...

fart, where is this iSkin remote you speak of, all I see are cases....

Fresh Prince said:
Not yet.....

Does anyone know the plans of the retailers on the old 3G. Are they reducing them or what? I've heard 'jaded' reports that Apple is going to still sell them at the same price...

Futureshop.ca has 3G ipods on sale now :/

One question to people who own iPods: Does it take any time to go from the end of one track to the beginning of the next? I would think not, but someone told me it does. Also, when you select a different track manually in the same playlist, how long does it take to start playing?

I don't live in North America,Canada or Europe :(

All the online places seem to be sold out or rrp, guess I'll go shopping the old fashioned way.

Edit: Yep Kurichma(sp?) all players except the Rio Karma have some Gap inbetween tracks...I think

Kurashima said:
One question to people who own iPods: Does it take any time to go from the end of one track to the beginning of the next? I would think not, but someone told me it does. Also, when you select a different track manually in the same playlist, how long does it take to start playing?

Every few tracks takes a few seconds I guess, cause it has to access the hard drive

fart

Savant
Fresh Prince said:
Not yet.....

sorry that should say "the apple remote sucks and the apple case is grossly inferior to the iskin"

xsarien

daedsiluap
fart said:
sorry that should say "the apple remote sucks and the apple case is grossly inferior to the iskin"

Mediocre remote is better than no remote. And as far as raw functions go, it doesn't really "suck." Yeah, an LCD would be nice, but it's not like the thing is completely handicapped because it lacks one.

Agh, that sucks. But I guess if it's the case with all other players except the Karma (you're both talking about between consecutive tracks right? That's what I really care about) then the point is moot.

fart

Savant
xsarien said:
Mediocre remote is better than no remote. And as far as raw functions go, it doesn't really "suck." Yeah, an LCD would be nice, but it's not like the thing is completely handicapped because it lacks one.
to each his own i guess, but i mean come on, the thing doesn't even have a stop button.

i don't have an ipod so i don't have an iskin but the ones i've seen and fondled are pretty much the best player cases ever. it's pricey though, and you know they make them in china for like 20 cents each rolleyes rolleyes :/

for the record i use the iriver freebie, which is ugly but adequate

No stop button? I forgot about that.....

Tommorrow I'll see for myself and decide, they should have a demo at the store.

fart: was iRiver working on gapless for the next firmware release?

Maybe I was getting caught up in anti-Apple hype...back to sitting on the fence.

When do people start receiving their iPods, July 21st right?
Guess I'll have to wait for in-depth reviews then....

fart

Savant
Fresh Prince said:
No stop button? I forgot about that.....

Tommorrow I'll see for myself and decide, they should have a demo at the store.

fart: was iRiver working on gapless for the next firmware release?
this is the official word from iriver: http://www.iriver.us/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2972

i don't believe a word on that page, except the ones that say "i don't believe this". i mean, you can probably argue that since they have to have working H300 firmware out by fall they'll actually get this stuff released, but i really have trouble believing anything iriver says.

Apparently iRiver was fairely reputable with customer and tech support, now they've seemed to fallen off. Though I still hear good stories about replacing whole units and accessories.

iRiver is going to have another model a couple of months after the 320 (not the 40Gig version) that plays movies as well. They're probably try to flood the marketplace without the proper firmware for existing/older players.

Dammt everyone seems to be following Apple's method of success.

Com'mon Rio release here in Australia already, fix the harddrive and try not to rip us off.

fart

Savant
iriver has been faced with the problem of growing too quickly. meanwhile their technical staff is all korean, and their largest markets are europe and the americas. i have heard good things about warranty service - they will tend to replace your unit if it dies, but otherwise support is pretty much nonexistant.

nitewulf

Winged Creature said:
im still hung over getting a hi-MD or an HDD player, cause i want the thing to last and HDD's are known to crap out.

get with the program man. everything else is out, get an HDD player. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom