• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New iPods

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 hours as you say smirk is good but Apple could of done better. That is what I'm saying.

Maybe you didn't get my point. My point is the 4G doesn't give me enough reason to buy it over an old 3G. 4 hours more? On-the-fly playlisting? Click-Wheel? All good but it's a step rather than a leap.

You try and make the distinction between the hp-120 and hp-320, it's more of a choice. The 320 seems more 'next-gen'.

Maybe Steve Jobs(for xs especially) is right, maybe the Apple is just a music device. Just offering that little bit better by little bit better every new model.

I don't know when the iRiver hp-320 is coming out to America, but here (Australia) it's coming out August, so some time around then.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I want a wireless connection between the base unit and the headphones.

totally agree with you fresh prince. the new features...meh. of course, i'm still tempted to buy one because of the new-ness of it all. but that's just me. =) more likely, i'll probably wait until the next incarnation...i'm sure it will be more of a larger step forward than these new ones.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
...a holographic display would be nice too.

Jest all you will troll Gahiggidy.....this is what I want for the 5G Ipod:

-Size keep it
-Scrollwhell etc keep it
-Screen keep it (colour would be nice though)
-iTunes......I will learn to use it (although an option not to would be nice)
-Battery Life atleast 20-25hrs (depending on competiton at the time)
-Improved codec support (namely ogg and flac)
-Better Playlist options (similar to what Karma offers)
-Ability to delete tracks/move tracks
-No more fanboys that swear by anything Apple does
-Standard Lcd remote
-Increased Power Output comparbaly to the Zen (neutral is fine with me)
-Better Eq options
-Record and line out in-built, ie standard
-Sizes 30G,60G etc
-User replaceable battery, or a cheaper option to replace the battery ie around AU$40.
-Better battery durability

These features are available on current mp3 players, all I want is that they are on one device for the price Apple is asking for. I will gladly pay around AU$800 for a 40Gig 5G iPod.

That is all.

Timbuktu

The thing is, Fresh Prince, half the things you're asking for can probably be given to the 3G iPods through a firmware upgrade. I used to look for to getting new features through firmware upgrades from Apple, but they don't seem to be doing it anymore. The 4G is IMO what the 3G should have been. It doesn't bring anything new, just correct past mistakes. Having said that, it's nice to see the click wheel, longer battery life and lower prices when Apple could still be selling iPods as fast as they make them for another year without making any changes.

Gahiggidy

I'm being serious.

What percentage of the i-pod power consumption is used up by the headphones themselves?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Freestyler said:
I'd say 60-70% for sound output..

Hmm, so if the headphones use this much, does it vary with different makes of headphone? Probably a stupid question.. (i'm thinking 'no')

fart

Savant
uhmmm question to all those arguing about battery life:

when are you listening to mp3s for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT?!?!?!

please...gimme a break with this battery argument. if you're listening to music non-stop, maybe you should try conversation for a bit. there hasn't been longer than a 10 hour period (plane ride) when i've been without my AC adapter, and my 3rd gen ipod has lasted that long. and plus...there's a LOT of ways you can conserve on battery power (turning off the clicky noise, backlight timer, EQ mode). i've had both a 2nd gen and a 3rd gen ipod...and both of them are still running fantastic as far as battery life. if you do need to have music running constantly, just bring your dock with you or a charger with you. not that difficult.

i regularly bring my iriver from full charge to 1 bar/0 bars in a day. that's 8-12 hours folks, and i don't have a chance to charge in the meantime. if you can do with 5 hours battery, that's great, but the fact is not everyone's as sedentary as you are.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I refuse to buy one of these newfangled iPod devices until they are $100 or less.

*returns to waiting for an iPod in 2007*

And the fact is also that not everyone moves as much as you either.

Different needs, different products. It's the same as everything.

Now let's dance and sing for portable media fanboyism~!

human5892 said:
I refuse to buy one of these newfangled iPod devices until they are $100 or less.

*returns to waiting for an iPod in 2007*

Well you are going to be waiting forever. There will always be a premium model.

The 20 GB is $200 less though than when it was introduced. Maybe you should look at it that way.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Idle Will Kill said:
Well you are going to be waiting forever. There will always be a premium model.

The 20 GB is $200 less though than when it was introduced. Maybe you should look at it that way.
Yeah, there's always going to be one that costs $300 or $400, but eventually, the tech will advance to the point where I can get a base 20 or 40 gig model for $100.

Probably not, harddrives are somewhat like an inverted normal curve when it comes to pricing. The average size disks are the least expensive, while the biggest/smallest are typically the most expensive.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
6.8 said:
Probably not, harddrives are somewhat like an inverted normal curve when it comes to pricing. The average size disks are the least expensive, while the biggest/smallest are typically the most expensive.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_hdd.asp

The prices for hard drives increase on a generally steady arc as the capacity rises. An iPod is more or less a portable hard drive with some formatting done to it to enable it to operate as an MP3 player. Wouldn't it follow, therefore, that at some point in the future, technology -- if not for storage capacity than for song compression tech -- would advance to the point where purchasing an iPod would be cheaper than it is now?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
fart said:
i regularly bring my iriver from full charge to 1 bar/0 bars in a day. that's 8-12 hours folks, and i don't have a chance to charge in the meantime. if you can do with 5 hours battery, that's great, but the fact is not everyone's as sedentary as you are.

Why? I mean do you need headphones stuck in your ears all the time? I don't see why people need to listen to so much music in one day, or how they have the time. Why the fuck do you listen continuously to music for 8-12 hrs/day? I mean, excuse my bluntness, but I dont get it.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Are iPod batteries affected by different encodings? Say on my iRiver, the advertised 16hours is for mp3s encoded at 128kbps, so it's less for higher encodings.

Is this the same for the iPod? I know I go through my battery ever 2 days, but most of my music is encoded at 192kbps.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Winged Creature said:
Just a question, how long do these HD players last before the HD fucks up??

In most cases, you'll be voluntarily replacing the unit before the hard drive even thinks about failing. Although there are certain cases to the contrary, as with anything. BuddyC had a nasty run in with one or two bad Karmas, IIRC.

Great King Bowser said:
Are iPod batteries affected by different encodings? Say on my iRiver, the advertised 16hours is for mp3s encoded at 128kbps, so it's less for higher encodings.

Is this the same for the iPod? I know I go through my battery ever 2 days, but most of my music is encoded at 192kbps.

Yeah. When the encoding is higher, the file sizes are bigger, and it has to access the HD more often, hence burning more battery.

How long before most people replace thier HDD players? I am just curious what the average life is of an iPod, and why most people (ie: the people on here) replace them (need more gigs, better features, ect?)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Quadrophenic said:
How long before most people replace thier HDD players? I am just curious what the average life is of an iPod, and why most people (ie: the people on here) replace them (need more gigs, better features, ect?)

The average life of an iPod specifically? Well, I know people still going with their 1G iPods, so that puts at about three years and counting. Odds are that the #1 reason for ultimately replacing an HDD-based player is either the Li-Ion battery's life degrading (as they all do), or new features.

Fresh Prince said:
12 hours as you say smirk is good but Apple could of done better. That is what I'm saying.

I dunno, I'd say a 50% battery life increase without changing the actual physical battery is really impressive.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
human5892 said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_hdd.asp

The prices for hard drives increase on a generally steady arc as the capacity rises. An iPod is more or less a portable hard drive with some formatting done to it to enable it to operate as an MP3 player. Wouldn't it follow, therefore, that at some point in the future, technology -- if not for storage capacity than for song compression tech -- would advance to the point where purchasing an iPod would be cheaper than it is now?

iPods have always been $299, $399, and $499, depending on capacity. When size bumps come along, the prices remain the same. Before this announcement, a 40GB iPod would have sold for $499. Now it sells for $399. The only difference now is that Apple did not add a $499 model.

So yes, buying an iPod has been getting cheaper all along in terms of price/capacity.

Hooker

Someone in this thread said that the 12 hours of the new iPod should be enough, even for flights is just plain wrong.

My parents live in teh Caribbean, I live in Holland (on vacation now though :D) that's a 9 hours flight (minimum, also depends on the type of plane) Checking in takes at least 4 hours, there's usually a 1/2 hours delay, getting my bags and going through customs takes another hour. That's already 15+ hours without any chance to charge it. (and listening to 128 Kbit encoded MP3's, not the 256/320 I only use.)

This is the only thing I hate about the iPod, I've fallen in love with it's design ever since it's first incarnation but the battery life is just too short. The sound quality is not as good as it should be, especially considering the price (way more expensive to comparable products from other companies)

So far, I've been able to hold off buying one, also due to Europe's inflated prices, 20% higher than US prices. But with Creative's new offering it seems I won't ever buy one. That new Zen Touch is everything I look for in a HDD-based DAP. Just needs a bigger HD and an apple logo IMO :(

Dez

Another question about the warrantee swap thing.. I have a 3G 20 gig ipod - came with the dock, remote, and case.. Now the new 20 gig model doesn't come with that stuff and is $100 cheaper. Should I therefore be getting the 40 gig one in exchange? Or will that not work? ...

bionic77

Hooker said:
Someone in this thread said that the 12 hours of the new iPod should be enough, even for flights is just plain wrong.

My parents live in teh Caribbean, I live in Holland (on vacation now though :D) that's a 9 hours flight (minimum, also depends on the type of plane) Checking in takes at least 4 hours, there's usually a 1/2 hours delay, getting my bags and going through customs takes another hour. That's already 15+ hours without any chance to charge it. (and listening to 128 Kbit encoded MP3's, not the 256/320 I only use.)

This is the only thing I hate about the iPod, I've fallen in love with it's design ever since it's first incarnation but the battery life is just too short. The sound quality is not as good as it should be, especially considering the price (way more expensive to comparable products from other companies)

So far, I've been able to hold off buying one, also due to Europe's inflated prices, 20% higher than US prices. But with Creative's new offering it seems I won't ever buy one. That new Zen Touch is everything I look for in a HDD-based DAP. Just needs a bigger HD and an apple logo IMO :(

How often do you take that flight? And a lot of planes are starting to have DC terminals for you to recharge your electronics for long flights, usually business class only but it is starting to spread to economy. Honestly, not many products can go 15+ hours without a charge or change of batteries, even the GBA SP which is the most perfect invention of all time can't go more then 11-12 hours without the light. I don't know if that is a good reason not to buy the Ipod, but then again it is your money.

The sound issue, I don't know. To be the Ipod sounds awesome, but maybe I am not as much of an audiophile as you and that is a pretty legit complaint if it bothers you.

On the plus side, you get a dock and iTunes for the easiest and most enjoyable experience for listening to your mp3s. You can even make a sex playlist like P. Diddy, can an Zen Touch do that?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'll stick with my MP3/CD player. I can't be walking around with a hard drive in my hand.

When does that Zen Touch actually come out anyways? Also...I wonder if they'll drop the price some more to try and undercut the iPod (I can hope =) )

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Just a quick mention on the whole flight conundrum. When I'll be flying around 14 hrs to Vietnam (with a stopover so more waiting around) I'll be taking a battery pack I bought from an electronics store (Maplins here in the UK) which can charge/power my iRiver a good 2 times on 4 AA batteries. Which is pretty convenient for when you haven't got a power supply around.

They probably support iPods too, and they're only around a fiver, so those having problems should take a look around for something similar.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Great King Bowser said:
Just a quick mention on the whole flight conundrum. When I'll be flying around 14 hrs to Vietnam (with a stopover so more waiting around) I'll be taking a battery pack I bought from an electronics store (Maplins here in the UK) which can charge/power my iRiver a good 2 times on 4 AA batteries. Which is pretty convenient for when you haven't got a power supply around.

They probably support iPods too, and they're only around a fiver, so those having problems should take a look around for something similar.

Tres cool, this is good to know. Thanks.

I have to add, if you have a 14 hour flight, are you really going to be listening to music for ALL 14 hours? I think you're going to have some pretty sore ears.

fart

Savant
Slurpy said:
Why? I mean do you need headphones stuck in your ears all the time? I don't see why people need to listen to so much music in one day, or how they have the time. Why the fuck do you listen continuously to music for 8-12 hrs/day? I mean, excuse my bluntness, but I dont get it.
i'm a student, and i don't get much sleep. add it up.

i would offer back that i don't understand why someone would spend hundreds of dollars on what's basically a high capacity walkman if they only listened to music a few hours a day or they weren't on the go all the time.

but it's your money, and it's my time, see?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Idle Will Kill said:
I have to add, if you have a 14 hour flight, are you really going to be listening to music for ALL 14 hours? I think you're going to have some pretty sore ears.

Just trying to offer some advice is all. :p

But I'll be on the road a lot in VN, so it'll come in handy. And I'm flying with Uzbekistan airlines, I'm doubting they'll have the best in-flight entertainment. So I'll probably walk out of there with bleeding ears and a strange ringing sound. Thank you iRiver!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
For anyone who wants the Version 3's still they are being sold at best buys for 20 dollars less than the 4th gen so u can get a 20 gig for 279, with dock and all.... I am just going to get the 4th gen when I take back my 20 gig Karma

bionic77

Great King Bowser said:

There are three battery backs for the Ipod that I know of. Two are battery operated and one is Lithium pack that is a little bigger then the Ipod that is $99 and is good for 80 hours (not including the Ipod's time of 6-8 hours).

Sriram

Does anyone know of a website (american) that will ship ipods to the uk at fair shipping rate? The price is about £75 ($150) cheaper, maybe someone here could send me one (id be willing to pay a little extra for the trouble too).

Sriram

i guess that would be a problem, but is it likely that anything will happen apart from the battery breaking, and isnt it possible to replace one of those yourself?

nitewulf

fart said:
i'm a student, and i don't get much sleep. add it up.

i would offer back that i don't understand why someone would spend hundreds of dollars on what's basically a high capacity walkman if they only listened to music a few hours a day or they weren't on the go all the time.

but it's your money, and it's my time, see?

im with this guy. i graduated, but even when i was going to school...i'd listen to music 8-12 hours a day. it would ALWAYS be on. and students dont get sleep, thats guranteed. my mp3 player basically has about 10 hour capacity, and i'd drain it 75% daily during commute and in breaks between classes, and the rest of the time i'd play music from my laptop (hooked to klipsh gmx pro media) at home while getting myhomeworks/labs/projects/reports done.

what else do you think keeps us sane?

Yeah I suppose, but any new product (seemingly in alot of mp3 players) alot can go wrong. Hardrive failures are an occurrence as well.
I think the iPod mini had a problem when it came out too.

smirkrevenge had an older 3G but you sound like you want a 4G. Do sites offer an 'extended' warranty if they ship overseas?

The let someone buy it here and then ship it overseas is a good idea but who are you going to trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom