• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new MGS3: Subsistence details

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131333.html

Konami has released the full details on the expanded, repackaged version of Metal Gear Solid 3. Subtitled Subsistence, the game includes the full version of MGS3: Snake Eater, as well as new game features, the first two Metal Gear games, and, in a first for the series, several online modes. Subsistence will be released this holiday season for the PlayStation 2 for $49.99.

Perhaps the most hotly anticipated portion of the game will be the new online multiplayer modes. Eight players can participate in the game's five modes: deathmatch, team deathmatch, sneaking mission, capture mission, and rescue mission. Online play will take place in stages from Snake Eater and in new, original levels, such as "Small Forest," "Downtown," and "Abolition Factory."

In sneaking mission, one player (as Snake) will attempt to steal an object guarded by the others, while capture mission pits two even teams against each other to capture the object. Rescue mission adds a further twist by requiring one team to deliver the object to a certain location while the opposing team attempts to destroy it.

Subsistence will also expand the single-player portion of Snake Eater. Players can now use a "third person view camera" that offers a wider field of vision and freedom of movement. After completion of the game, players can also use the new duel mode to go toe-to-toe with any boss from the game, and they can view all in-game movies in the demo theater.

Razoric

Banned
Wario64 said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131333.html

Konami has released the full details on the expanded, repackaged version of Metal Gear Solid 3. Subtitled Subsistence, the game includes the full version of MGS3: Snake Eater, as well as new game features, the first two Metal Gear games, and, in a first for the series, several online modes. Subsistence will be released this holiday season for the PlayStation 2 for $49.99.

Perhaps the most hotly anticipated portion of the game will be the new online multiplayer modes. Eight players can participate in the game's five modes: deathmatch, team deathmatch, sneaking mission, capture mission, and rescue mission. Online play will take place in stages from Snake Eater and in new, original levels, such as "Small Forest," "Downtown," and "Abolition Factory."

In sneaking mission, one player (as Snake) will attempt to steal an object guarded by the others, while capture mission pits two even teams against each other to capture the object. Rescue mission adds a further twist by requiring one team to deliver the object to a certain location while the opposing team attempts to destroy it.

Subsistence will also expand the single-player portion of Snake Eater. Players can now use a "third person view camera" that offers a wider field of vision and freedom of movement. After completion of the game, players can also use the new duel mode to go toe-to-toe with any boss from the game, and they can view all in-game movies in the demo theater.

fucking sweet. :D :D :D :D

AssMan

Banned
I'm worried about the new camera. When you would go into first person in MGS3, the screen would tear when you look around sometimes. How are they going to pull the new camera off?

Daigoro

Bad Ass.

i havent been keeping up, 1 and 2 are included as well?

what about VR missions and Snake Tales, etc?

even is the online portion isnt so great, it'll still be a nice add on. im sold.

Flo_Evans

this may be the 1st 'substance' MGS I get. I usually scoff at re-buying the same game with extra VR missions... but online MGS sounds sweet!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Daigoro said:
Bad Ass.

i havent been keeping up, 1 and 2 are included as well?

what about VR missions and Snake Tales, etc?

even is the online portion isnt so great, it'll still be a nice add on. im sold.

Metal Gear 1 and 2. Not MGS1/2

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Anybody know if they plan on fixing the audio problems during codecs? Subsistence sounds sweet as fuck btw.

Daigoro

AssMan said:
I'm worried about the new camera. When you would go into first person in MGS3, the screen would tear when you look around sometimes. How are they going to pull the new camera off?

with tearing.

Wario64 said:
Metal Gear 1 and 2. Not MGS1/2

ack, that makes more sense. thanks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AssMan said:
When you would go into first person in any Splinter Cell game, the screen would tear when you look around sometimes.
I suppose the difference is that the SC games are all incredibly unpolished, while the MGS series is the exact opposite. Hopefully they can sort out some of those issues. The framerate was generally just fine, though. Only a few segments really had any slowdown problems (the swamps!!!).

new pics!

MGS Acid 2

7951.jpg

0130.jpg

MGS3 Subsistence
9294.jpg

6859.jpg

8522.jpg

Gribbix

First online PS2 game I care about. Speaking of which I can't recall the last time I've seen a BB adapter in stores. Does Sony still make them or will I have to buy a second-hand BB adapter?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
you sure that's metal gear acid 2? i thought it was being 'celshaded'....it looks exactly like the original

B E N K E

Official PR:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence sneaks online
Hideo Kojima reveals details of Snake's network adventures as jungle warfare goes online
August 17th, 2005

Hideo Kojima, director and creator of Konami of Europe's forthcoming Metal Gear Solid 3: SubsistenceTM, has announced details of the PlayStation 2 title's incredible online modes.

Kojima will use 2005's Games Convention event - Europe's largest digital entertainment expo in Leipzig, Germany - to outline his plans to take the jungle-based combat of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence online. For the PAL release, Kojima will offer a number of 'Versus' modes designed to allow gamers to compete against other fans via the PlayStation 2 network, marking the first time the best-selling series has entered the online area.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is a massively enhanced version of March's Snake Eater title. A new camera system has been incorporated allowing players to view the action from virtually any angle, and also features versions of the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 titles as originally created for the now defunct MSX2 format, chronicling the genesis of Metal Gear and available for the first time since their original release.

It is the new online modes that push Subsistence to its limits, however. Kojima has devised 'Sneaking Missions', 'Capture Missions', 'Rescue Missions', 'Death Matches' and 'Team Death Matches', which will allow up to eight players to battle against each other in real-time. These missions will be set within key locations from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and in new areas such as Small Forest, the Kill House and the Abolition Factory.

Each mode will feature up to five different mission styles settings to create varied parameters of play. For example in 'Death Matches' felled players are returned to play instantaneously after being killed, with the winner being the player with the most kills. Having selected which team to represents from Ocelot Unit, GRU or KGB, the action will offer the user full use of the control system seen in the main game, with he CQC (Close Quarters Combat) and weapons elements of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater all faithfully used. Similarly, players who accrue the best stats will be able to select major characters from the game to control, including Ocelot.

"Finally it is possible to battle with players from around the world online at Metal Gear Solid from the comfort of your own home," said Hideo Kojima. "For the online mode, the essence of Metal Gear Solid is retained, with additions of various online rules and original stages. With the continued growth of the culture of Metal Gear Solid, this new online addition, I believe will bring a new way to enjoy and experience the world. I hope fans will look forward to experiencing it."

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence will be released for PlayStation 2 in 2006.

Brofist

Gribbix said:
First online PS2 game I care about. Speaking of which I can't recall the last time I've seen a BB adapter in stores. Does Sony still make them or will I have to buy a second-hand BB adapter?

Unless you use the HDD you're probably almost better off just trading your PS2 for a slim one.

Flo_Evans

Gribbix said:

I'm wondering this too... GT4 was supposed to be the reason for me to get a PS2 BB adapter, and we all know how that turned out. If sony drops the PStwo to $99 to fight the x360 this fall I might just spring for that. :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
e3-2005-metal-gear-acid-2-screens-20050517062243428.jpg

7951.jpg

maybe im blind, but they look different. plus the bridge screenshot looks similiar to a level in the original

dark10x

More older Acid 2 pics...

I think those "new" pics are actually Acid 1. I mean, you've got regular Telico and Snake on the bridge there and everything. It's gotta be the original...

928434_20050519_screen007.jpg

928434_20050519_screen006.jpg

928434_20050519_screen002.jpg

928434_20050517_screen001.jpg

928434_20050517_screen007.jpg

928434_20050517_screen004.jpg

What I'm worried about is the camera giving a soldier the ability to be facing in one direction, but actually be viewing behind himself. I hope this issue is as obvious to the dev team as it is to me.

Also, one of the soldiers has the radio on his belt, what role do you think this plays in multi? Anyone know if VOIP is in the multi?

dark10x

Oh yeah, all of this new info is coming from a Euro conference. Those Acid 1 shots make more sense, then, as the original has yet to see release in Europe (obviously).

BigBoss

ArcadeStickMonk said:
What I'm worried about is the camera giving a soldier the ability to be facing in one direction, but actually be viewing behind himself. I hope this issue is as obvious to the dev team as it is to me.

Also, one of the soldiers has the radio on his belt, what role do you think this plays in multi? Anyone know if VOIP is in the multi?

If you shoot out the radio the player won't be able to communicate with his teammates if he has a headset.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ArcadeStickMonk said:

Splinter Cell worked fine with the very same type of camera tho.

Yes. And you can obviously shoot at the radio so that a given soldier cannot communicate with his fellas anymore. Very cool. :)

haha, you know what's going to suck, using a box cause everyone will just shoot or kick at it. BUT it would be cool if you could booby trap them so it would deter even the most paranoid players.

dark10x

Splinter Cell also had shit AI, linear ass gameplay, and ten tons of other problems. :p

I have a feeling the problem will not be addressed, unfortunately...

Solid

i'll get this when it drops. most of the features are already in the PAL version, and i dont care that much about online.

that aside, cant wait :D

TTP said:
I'm not sure you understood my concern.

Say you and I are playing some kinda 1v1 game, ok? I'm a soldier, you're the sneaky guy.
I move to to a path and position myself so that I am facing away from where I think you are. However, I rotate my camera so that I can view behind me, in an attempt to lay a trap.

You see my character facing away from you, and move in for the neck-snap, but I'm watching you the whole time, just waiting for you to get in range of my shotgun.

In Splinter Cell multi, they kept the camera of those who would be snuck up upon locked to the first-person viewpoint for this very reason.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i think the camera is only placed behind your shoulder or first person...so if you turn your camera around, you're turning the character as well. at least that's what i think will happen

EekTheKat

Subsistance seems to be the opposite of Splinter Cell's multiplayer though. Splinter Cell's MP the primary focus was stealth + sneaking, but this game looks to be something like a shooter/stealth socom like hybrid with MGS3's combat mechanics.

Judging by the trailers they're banking on the stealth to take place while the opposing team's players are actively engaged in combat (i.e. 1 person is shooting at your teammates, you sneak around behind him while he's actively firing at your squad and slam him down).

EekTheKat said:
Judging by the trailers they're banking on the stealth to take place while the opposing team's players are actively engaged in combat (i.e. 1 person is shooting at your teammates, you sneak around behind him while he's actively firing at your squad and slam him down).
Well fuck. That's no different then Halo.

EekTheKat

Well fuck. That's no different then Halo.

Another thing was unless they changed things, you have to pretty much manually aim in first person mode to hit anything worth a damn, which really opens up the door to be slammed faced first into the ground.

EekTheKat said:
Another thing was unless they changed things, you have to pretty much manually aim in first person mode to hit anything worth a damn, which really opens up the door to be slammed faced first into the ground.
I understand this sentence, but I don't get what you are implying.

Also, if the stealth is supposed to fit in as you say, that cardboard box seems mighty silly.

"The GRU troops have us pinned down, Sarge"

"Get in a cardboard box and flank 'em! We'll cover you!"

Furthermore:
In sneaking mission, one player (as Snake) will attempt to steal an object guarded by the others

I don't think you have the stealth pegged correctly.

Top Bottom