• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new MGS3: Subsistence details

Wait that's the wrong one, the stuff that mckmas is fake. It was posted by a guy that's made up a bunch of MGS rumors. This is the one from the MGS.org mod

- MGS4 will be neither in space nor in VR
- there are indeed huge hints in the MGS3 engine E3 trailer
- Kojima and his team will go to this new place to gather material for the game probably next month
- The team working over MGS4 is bigger than before, it's multinational team
- MGS4 setting won't be neigher in America, nor in Europe.

This is all Kojima's said about Raiden in MGS4

7.) PSM2: How do you feel about the fans reaction to Raiden ?

HK: Next to Snake, he is our favorite character. We think fans will actually grow to like him in MGS4. That’s how we’re creating him this time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm getting a Middle East vibe. It's possible Kojima wants to say something about the whole terrorism shit. I mean, it's a hot international topic that has yet to be discussed in the series. Or not?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wario64 said:
sweet except the game is $50, wtf Konami :mad:
I'd rather pay 50 bucks for an expanded game, two more MGS games, online mode instead of getting hosed for a bullshit "Limited Edition" with some comics and behind-the-scenes footage like some publishers I could mention.

TTP said:
I'm getting a Middle East vibe. It's possible Kojima wants to say something about the whole terrorism shit. I mean, it's a hot international topic that has yet to be discussed in the series. Or not?

That's what i'm thinking also. Take these EGM quote into account too

EGM: For MGS2 you went to NYC, and for MGS3 you went to the jungle. Was there a physical location where you traveled to research MGS4?

HK: Not yet, actually. That’s a tricky question, because if I answer it, it’d give too much away. It’s very difficult to go there; that’s the only hint I can give you. And also, I’d like to say that for MGS4, it’s a combat game: weapon against weapon, or hand to hand with punching and kicking, but I think that a more important part of combat is the psychological aspect. Meaning, there is an intense mental fear when you point a gun at someone. I want to represent that in MGS4...a more psychological battle. That’s what real combat is all about. So, myself and my staff, we need to talk to a psychologist to better understand this concept. I want to absorb all the lessons from the shrink and control my staff with fear. [Laughs]

And while not about the location, this is soudns cool

EGM: What secret info can you tell us about Metal Gear Solid 4 that nobody knows…that your team won’t kill you for telling us?

HK: This is a Metal Gear Solid, yet the trilogy is now over, so we have to come up with a new story. There will be a strong story in the background, but what I can say is that we won’t create it in the same way: cinema, action sequence, cinema. I want the action to be less localized, for events to occur across large areas...I want to utilize the environment itself to tell the story line.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It’s very difficult to go there; that’s the only hint I can give you.

Well, that's quite revealing. It's either Middle East or some South African state.

we won’t create it in the same way: cinema, action sequence, cinema. I want the action to be less localized, for events to occur across large areas...I want to utilize the environment itself to tell the story line.

I'm so afraid to die of hype when the first trailer goes public. I'm almost scared to watch it :lol

Please Kojima give us just a little glimpse now to reduce the shock factor later :lol

SolidSnakex said:
That's what i'm thinking also. Take these EGM quote into account too

And while not about the location, this is soudns cool

SolidSnakex said:
Wait that's the wrong one, the stuff that mckmas is fake. It was posted by a guy that's made up a bunch of MGS rumors. This is the one from the MGS.org mod

This is all Kojima's said about Raiden in MGS4

Thanks for the correction. I am just dying to see MGS4! But the wait is going to suck :( First we will have to wait for the first trailer at E3 2006 then I guess playable demos at
TGS2006 and the game will probably be released in 2007 :(

that sucks >_<

TTP said:
Well, that's quite revealing. It's either Middle East or some South African state.
The game takes place in desert settings (according to the MGS.org admin)

EGM: What secret info can you tell us about Metal Gear Solid 4 that nobody knows…that your team won’t kill you for telling us?

HK: This is a Metal Gear Solid, yet the trilogy is now over, so we have to come up with a new story. There will be a strong story in the background, but what I can say is that we won’t create it in the same way: cinema, action sequence, cinema. I want the action to be less localized, for events to occur across large areas...I want to utilize the environment itself to tell the story line.

Sounds good! What does he mean when he says the action will be 'less localized'?

Doom_Bringer said:
Sounds good! What does he mean when he says the action will be 'less localized'?

I think he's referring to action in the series taking place in small locations. Even in MGS3 when you were outside the forest still made it feel closed. If it takes place in a desert everything going to be much more wide open. The action is going to be alot more hectic because it does seem to take place during a war (as you can tell in the trailer the soldiers are fighting against something in the background while Snake hides behind the wall). So its no longer going to feel like its on a samll scale.

MGS4 is confirmed for TGS, so we'll likely get a new teaser out of that atleast.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
MGS4 is confirmed for TGS, so we'll likely get a new teaser out of that atleast.

/Falls into cryogenic sleep with wake up timer set to the TGS2005 date.

SolidSnakex said:
I think he's referring to action in the series taking place in small locations. Even in MGS3 when you were outside the forest still made it feel closed. If it takes place in a desert everything going to be much more wide open. The action is going to be alot more hectic because it does seem to take place during a war (as you can tell in the trailer the soldiers are fighting against something in the background while Snake hides behind the wall). So its no longer going to feel like its on a samll scale.

Sounds awesome, I hope you are right. This time I hope they stream the entire game instead of breaking it off into smaller areas.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doom_Bringer said:
Sounds awesome if you are on the money. This time I hope they stream the entire game instead of breaking it off into smaller areas.
I was thinking of that, but I don't know...

One of the great things about the series is that each "map" is a carefully crafted scenario. You have an entry point and an exit point and are allowed to reach that point through a wide variety of actions.

I love streaming and what it brings to the table, but I am torn on whether this is good for MGS.

dark10x said:
I was thinking of that, but I don't know...

One of the great things about the series is that each "map" is a carefully crafted scenario. You have an entry point and an exit point and are allowed to reach that point through a wide variety of actions.

I love streaming and what it brings to the table, but I am torn on whether this is good for MGS.

No I think breaking the areas in to smaller portions is kind of lame. Getting treated by loading screens that tell you the name of area is worthless! I'd rather have a large tanker or forest with no loading screens at all.

GTA, Far Cry, Splinter Cell all do this really well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Have you guys noticed that every MGS trailer before the game is released gets super hyped (In a good way)? I've never seen a before the game is released trailer from Hideo that sucked. NEVER. My head will probably explode when I see MGS4.

dark10x

Doom_Bringer said:
No I think breaking the areas in to smaller portions is kind of lame. Getting treated by loading screens that tell you the name of area is worthless! I'd rather have a large tanker or forest with no loading screens at all.

GTA, Far Cry, Splinter Cell all do this really well.
Noooooooooooooo, Far Cry and Splinter Cell have terrible game design problems. Do you not understand the importance of really good scenario design? Scenery alone will not work and that is what those games often rely on.

I'm sure they could stream the world and maintain a focus on good design (Halo does, for example), but they need not take any notes from those games.

Doom_Bringer said:
Sounds awesome, I hope you are right. This time I hope they stream the entire game instead of breaking it off into smaller areas.

I'm thinking of it looking like this

war2sx.jpg

war18ss.jpg

A really epic game.

dark10x said:
Noooooooooooooo, Far Cry and Splinter Cell have terrible game design problems. Do you not understand the importance of really good scenario design? Scenery alone will not work.

I'm sure they could stream the world and maintain a focus on good design (Halo does, for example), but they need not take any notes from those games.

I am sure Kojima can implement good game design in large streaming environments. Kojima already said he was playing Halo 2 and Half Life 2 so I am sure he will take notes from those games.

Small areas with no streaming are a thing of the past, I hope they don't use it for MGS4.

SolidSnakex said:

war2sx.jpg

war18ss.jpg

A really epic game.

Yeah that would be awesome!

dark10x

Doom_Bringer said:
I am sure Kojima can implement good game design in large streaming environments. Kojima already said he was playing Halo 2 and Half Life 2 so I am sure he will take notes from those games.

Small areas with no streaming are a thing of the past, I hope they don't use it for MGS4.
Err, why would you mention Half Life 2 and then say...

Small areas with no streaming are a thing of the past
HL2 had far more problems with breaking up areas than MGS3 did. Halo 2 did it right, though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:

war2sx.jpg

war18ss.jpg

A really epic game.

Oh please yes make it happen god I feel so stupid getting wet so early knowing shit about the game but heck I'm a Kojima slut anyway

dark10x said:
Err, why would you mention Half Life 2 and then say...

HL2 had far more problems with breaking up areas than MGS3 did. Halo 2 did it right, though.

He likes the fact that HL2 has real physics. So when you throw a grenade at the enemy from different positions the body will land in different places. I wasn't talking about loading with HL2 comment.

and yes HL2 has many problems, it's the worse loading system ever!

dark10x

Those scenes that SSX posted would be perfect! Not only is it a good setting for a new MGS title, but it would be a good environment to show off a more powerful system. There is so much random "clutter" in those scenes (lots of small details would be present) and they provide a perfect chance for using HDR. They could also do some really nifty shadows with the day/night cycles.

Himuro said:
Holy shit, thinking of MGS4 like this...I need info on this game NOW. Seriously. Imagine having a sneaking mission through a war torn city with similar chaos to that of Mercenaries or the riots on GTASA.

:)

This is why I think that's going to happen

Is there anymore you can tell us about the storyline or the location for MGS4?

If you see the trailer for MGS4, you see we have the concept of "No place to hide". That's the kind of the message how MGS4 is going to be. That doesn't mean that Snake will no longer hide or the game is no longer a stealth game. It will be a stealth game, however the situation will change because in the past there was a concrete wall of a building or some jungle where Snake could hide. But in the event like in the trailer, when a bomb explodes in a building, he has no place to hide because the environment might move or might fade away getting destroyed. There might be situations where Snake cannot hide so that's why we say "No place to hide".

That's the biggest hint and I hope you understand that I cannot say anymore about it. Also, another hint is that you will probably get another feel of a stealth game. In the past MGS series it was very clear the good guys against the bad guys, Snake against someone so Snake had to sneak in some enemy's base. But this time it won't be simply A versus B, there will be more groups like A, B, C, D, there will be more complex situations where it's not your everyday hero versus the villain. That's another point of the theme "No place to hide". There might be a situation where according to your situation or who you stand for there might be no place to hide so you get a totally different feeling even though it's still a combat stealth game.

http://ps2.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=8293

That's what I think he's describing without coming out and just saying it.

mgs47sb.jpg

That gives the impression of a war going on in a small city. The gaurds don't even pay attention to Snake till the bomb drops onto the building he's hiding behind. They're busy fighting against something else till that happens.

Tee-hee. Someone jacked a Gear and is tearing that city to shreds. Hmm, whatever happened to the Ray that Liquidot took?

I keep forgetting that now that I'm on broadband, I'm permitted to play online games. ^_^ MGS3:S, here I come!

Ceb

If anyone else remembers what they had planned for the final showdown between Solid and Ocelot, that should also be a pretty big support for the middle east/african setting.

:D

Sneaking Mission
One player will take the part of Snake in this online mode. Snake will be the victor if that player manages to procure something that is guarded by the other players.
05.jpg

Team Death Match
Players are divided into teams to play a "vs." game within a set time limit. The team with the most remaining life tickets will be declared the victor.

Death Match
This is a Battle Royal type of match where it is a free-for-all. The rules can be set-up such that there is a time limit with the winner being the ones with the most kills.

Capture Mission
Players are divided into teams to capture a certain object and deliver it back to their base. Players will be able to re-spawn at the starting point.

Rescue Mission
Teams will be divided into 2 with one side being the defender of the certain object, while the other team will try to destroy it. The defenders will try to deliver the object to a certain location. The rules differ here in that the players that are killed cannot re-spawn and will turn into ghosts. :D
06.jpg

http://www.konami.co.jp/en/news/topics/050818/index.html

CosmicGroinPull said:
:D

Sneaking Mission
One player will take the part of Snake in this online mode. Snake will be the victor if that player manages to procure something that is guarded by the other players.
05.jpg

Team Death Match
Players are divided into teams to play a "vs." game within a set time limit. The team with the most remaining life tickets will be declared the victor.

Death Match
This is a Battle Royal type of match where it is a free-for-all. The rules can be set-up such that there is a time limit with the winner being the ones with the most kills.

Capture Mission
Players are divided into teams to capture a certain object and deliver it back to their base. Players will be able to re-spawn at the starting point.

Rescue Mission
Teams will be divided into 2 with one side being the defender of the certain object, while the other team will try to destroy it. The defenders will try to deliver the object to a certain location. The rules differ here in that the players that are killed cannot re-spawn and will turn into ghosts. :D
06.jpg

http://www.konami.co.jp/en/news/topics/050818/index.html

Oh snap, ps2 online, here I come

Making the most of my chance meeting with the team, I had a good chat with Metal Gear Solid 4's producer. He told me some obvious facts, such as the fact that the team's been working on the early PlayStation 3 dev kits for quite a few months (these being those monster size, early dev kits) and that work is proceeding. Also, something new about MGS4 will shown and revealed at the Games Convention, but also, something else new will be shown at Tokyo Game Show, as well. Getting more details was pretty much impossible, no matter how hard I tried.

http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142874

So we're going to see something new on MGS4 at this show afterall?

Top Bottom