• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

M3d10n

I was trying to make sense of this bizarre super early AUS launch and a tinfoil hat grade thought came to me: maybe Nintendo did this so they could collect consumer behavior data in a "region free" environment?

It does sound like the perfect opportunity for testing waters: Australia and Europe are "region free" among themselves, but Australia has different price dynamics and is relatively as far away geographically as Japan (for example) is, so shipping isn't that cheap. Any N3DS that connects online for the first time from an European IP address is 99% certain to have been imported, so Nintendo can get some pretty reliable numbers which they can later compare to the numbers when they actually launch it in Europe.

So, what do you think?

Rich!

I was trying to make sense of this bizarre super early AUS launch and a tinfoil hat grade thought came to me: maybe Nintendo did this so they could collect consumer behavior data in a "region free" environment?

It does sound like the perfect opportunity for testing waters: Australia and Europe are "region free" among themselves, but Australia has different price dynamics and is relatively as far away geographically as Japan (for example) is, so shipping isn't that cheap. Any N3DS that connects online for the first time from an European IP address is 99% certain to have been imported, so Nintendo can get some pretty reliable numbers which they can later compare to the numbers when they actually launch it in Europe.

So, what do you think?

No, imo.

It's literally just because Australia's 3DS current stock levels and interest levels are absymal. They needed to generate interest for Christmas.

Every other region still has momentum with the OG model and bundles, not to mention ridiculous surplus of stock that needs to be shifted first before introducing any new models to those markets.

The importing situation with the AUS launch is simply an unavoidable side effect of them sharing the European firmware/software region.

ineji

Neo Member
You have to use system transfer in the settings menu. You can't just put the sd card in.

Yeah, I did that. Afterwards when I selected to copy via PC nothing showed up. I just started moving folder names about and it worked :/

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I like the auto brightness, when I don't look at the console, when it's on my desk next to me, it dims the screens a bit, then when I look at it it lightens the screens ^^

Rich!

so anyone played any older games on it, see any performance differences?

No point - there will be no difference. Other than the better 3D, of course.

Older games will play exactly as they did on the OG models, as they were coded without the New Nintendo 3DS in mind. Only games specifically designed for the hardware in the New Nintendo 3DS will see benefits (of which Smash Bros and MH seem to be the first).

It's like expecting the Expansion Pak for the N64 to improve the framerate in Goldeneye, or expecting the Wii U to play Wii titles with added graphical effects and resolution improvements. Not gonna happen.

No point - there will be no difference. Other than the better 3D, of course.

Older games will play exactly as they did on the OG models, as they were coded without the New Nintendo 3DS in mind. Only games specifically designed for the hardware in the New Nintendo 3DS will see benefits (of which Smash Bros and MH seem to be the first).

It's like expecting the Expansion Pak for the N64 to improve the framerate in Goldeneye, or expecting the Wii U to play Wii titles with added graphical effects and resolution improvements. Not gonna happen.

well I wsnt expecting anything just curious, like better load times on games or better fps on bad fps games

Rich!

well I wsnt expecting anything just curious, like better load times on games or better fps on bad fps games

nah, unfortunately. The original games still only reference the spec range of the original 3DS, not anything outside of that. It's not like a PC game where it's designed to be scalable - the titles on the 3DS are written strictly for that hardware. And the N3DS is only a recent development, of course.

MilkLizard

I finally got mine today. Unfortunately, I have to say that I will stay miles away from Mighty Ape and DHL in the future.

Sure, they shipped fast but that's what I expect for 61€ shipping cost. Then they don't tell you the tracking number and you have to ask them for it. Not a big problem, unless it takes them 4 days to answer my mail. Sorry but that's way too long.

By the point I got the tracking number my package was already in Germany so I was happy. For a short time. Suddenly my shipment was on hold and I didn't know why. I called DHL and apparently I refused to pay custom fees? But DHL never showed up at my place so I was a little confused. Turned out the delivery guy fucked up and tried to deliver the package to one of my neighbors who was not willing to pay anything. Apparently it is not possible to pay those custom fees online here, so today I just drove to them and picked it up before work.

Now work is almost finished and I will go home, make me a nice drink and start the transfer stuff. Because in the end, I finally have my New 3DS. I'm happy now and I'm really looking forward to play A Link Between Worlds for the first time.

Impressions and pics later tomorrow.

ZeroX03

Banned
I was in a really bad mood due to not getting Smash, but thankfully this baby arrived today to cheer me up. Took five days to arrive from Japan and I only paid for basic airmail! High quality video and photo a bit later.

nPwAwj6.jpg

I finally got mine today. Unfortunately, I have to say that I will stay miles away from Mighty Ape and DHL in the future.

Sure, they shipped fast but that's what I expect for 61€ shipping cost. Then they don't tell you the tracking number and you have to ask them for it. Not a big problem, unless it takes them 4 days to answer my mail. Sorry but that's way too long.

Mighty Ape is almost exclusively a New Zealand and Australian retailer, they very rarely have to do international deliveries. Also a lot of people were complaining about slow email response times when they actually tried to contact them on Friday night NZ time because we're so far ahead. Of course nobody was going to be in the office overnight. I warned people Mighty Ape might not be ready for internationals.

Mistle

I generally like auto brightness but I do admit it's not great on the New 3DS. Had it on for a couple days. When it worked, it was great, but more often than not it couldnt make up its mind and kept changing.

I was in a really bad mood due to not getting Smash, but thankfully this baby arrived today to cheer me up. Took five days to arrive from Japan and I only paid for basic airmail! High quality video and photo a bit later.

nPwAwj6.jpg

Mighty Ape is almost exclusively a New Zealand and Australian retailer, they very rarely have to do international deliveries. Also a lot of people were complaining about slow email response times when they actually tried to contact them on Friday night NZ time because we're so far ahead. Of course nobody was going to be in the office overnight. I warned people Mighty Ape might not be ready for internationals.
That cover plate looks really nice and the matching theme is available now too so bonus

ZeroX03

Banned
That cover plate looks really nice and the matching theme is available now too so bonus

Already have the matching theme! PokePimped!

I generally like auto brightness but I do admit it's not great on the New 3DS. Had it on for a couple days. When it worked, it was great, but more often than not it couldnt make up its mind and kept changing.

Yeah I turned it off. Even playing in pitch black the 3DS's own screen would mess with the auto brightness.

leng jai

I don't think I've ever used a device where the auto-brightness wasn't annoying as hell.

Pretty set on getting a blue one today. Tried the XL briefly and the 3D seems significantly better than on my old XL. Does anyone have Mario Tennis Open? How does it stack up against the 64 version?

MilkLizard

Sure, I'm aware how time zones work and I didn't expect them to answer my mail in a couple of minutes. But 4 work days? And giving your customer a tracking number with the shipment confirmation can't be that hard either. In the end though, they did their job and everything is fine but I won't order from them anytime soon again.

EDIT:

System transfer done without any troubles and it fits in my Waterfield case. Very nice system. It feels a lot better than the old XL and I can't wait to play some cool games on it, but that has to wait until tomorrow. Too tired now ;)

O4T0Nc3l.jpg

Picked up a new 3ds today along with Smash. Can't believe how tiny this thing looks compared to the XL. I did a double take looking at the two when I was prepping the transfer. Really like this smaller form factor. I loved the DSLite even though I have bigger hands. I can wrap my hands about it proper. The XL feels like a Wii U gamepad in comparison.

The pikmins are currently on the move. Couldn't find my card reader so I'm doing it over wifi. It's just transferring Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing as far as full games go. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Danny-Boy

Well I wasn't sure which to get but Nintendo made the decision easier for me in the end. I chose the XL for the size but I see Nintendo are still making these things with that fucking loose hinge which flops back and forth by a few millimetres. I can't stand it. The EB Games guy was nice enough to let me check a few and they all had the same issue. I don't understand how this is is still happening as my mate has a new XL with a perfectly good hinge that locks into place and doesn't move in the slightest.

Anyway opened a white n3DS and the hinge is perfect. Actually the whole build quality felt better than the XL. Bought the Luigi face plates and I'm good to go. A nice solid 3DS with no flopiness and no fingerprints. Just gotta get used to the smaller screen.

The face plates are genius and the 3D is so good now I've got it cranked up to the highest setting. The sound is pumping. Time to sell my Zelda gold 3DSXL. I can never go back.

XaosWolf

Well my n3DS is at my local Fedex facility.
But is there any reason the special handling instructions are just "Deliver Weekday"?

Seems like a waste of time, there.

Does anyone have Mario Tennis Open? How does it stack up against the 64 version?

Stay away! Mario Tennis Open is a remarkably bare bones game that sucked all of the fun out of Mario Tennis and replaced it with Simon Says buttons and gameplay.

sammex

Transferred my old XL across to my new one last night entirely by wifi. Not sure why it's so slow but after 4 hours it was getting late and still halfway between 50-75% so left it going over night. All is good this morning, even my streetpass hits which I was concerned about as it mentioned something about deleting the add on data during transfer.

leng jai

Well my n3DS is at my local Fedex facility.
But is there any reason the special handling instructions are just "Deliver Weekday"?

Seems like a waste of time, there.

Stay away! Mario Tennis Open is a remarkably bare bones game that sucked all of the fun out of Mario Tennis and replaced it with Simon Says buttons and gameplay.

That's disappointing. Surely the core gameplay is still decent right?

Any of you have problems with the c stick? When pushing up or left it works really smooth. But when pushing to the right or downwards it registers as one press and then just stops. Kinda annoying in monster hunter and smash. My smashes keep cancelling on less powerful settings now :(

And in monster hunter the camera just stops rotating. Beyond annoying. I hope it's just because it's new or something. Not really in the position to send it back to Australia :p

XaosWolf

That's disappointing. Surely the core gameplay is still decent right?

Unfortunately not. I wasn't kidding when I said they changed it to Simon. Even 4 coloured buttons on the touchscreen and the overabundance of Special moves just turns each match into a game of chance.

Its just really watered down gameplay and bare bones content on top of that. =(

Mario Golf did things better as a revamp.

Hasney

Still don't really want Mario Golf for more than £20 without an RPG mode though. And I bought Toadstool Tour on Gamecube full price purely because it linked to my RPG character on GBA.

leng jai

Unfortunately not. I wasn't kidding when I said they changed it to Simon. Even 4 coloured buttons on the touchscreen and the overabundance of Special moves just turns each match into a game of chance.

Its just really watered down gameplay and bare bones content on top of that. =(

Mario Golf did things better as a revamp.

Guess you saved me some money then. Looking at getting Bravely Default, Zelda ALBW and Luigi's Mansion to get me started. Already played 3D Land and Mario Kart back when I had an XL.

Rich!

Zelda is the best out of that list. Luigi is also damn good.

Bravely Default is OK for the first half then turns to total shit.

Hasney

I'd probably swap Bravely Default and Luigi, and that's not a knock on Luigi because it's a great game. Even with the weird last acts, I adore that game so much.

Sillverrr

£180 after currency conversion from PlayAsia, for the XL model. No customs fees, etc. (but I live in the Channel Islands). No faults with mine so far, touch wood.

Bought it now because I was worried that the trade in value for the current model would drop next year. That was the major factor for me. Otherwise I'd have waited till it comes out here officially (probably only saving a few quid this way anyway). The C stick is pretty cool for Smash, but in all honesty I'm gonna be playing the Wii U version (when it arrives; f*cking Royal Mail).

Top Bottom