• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Did you go from an XL to a n3DS? Because I'm tempted to do that but I'm worried about size. The old 3DS was way too small for me.

I guess I could order one and find out... if I didn't like it it would probably still fetch a decent price on eBay. Hm.

Yeah that's what I did. It feels moderately larger than the old 3DS which I thought was terribly uncomfortable.

Fuck it, ordered a White n3DS. If I don't like it, I'm sure I'll be able to resell it for RRP.

Oh shit!

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with decision.

Vuze

Games look a lot crisper on the smaller screen. The smaller new 3ds fits in the hands a lot better too I think. The XL digs into the area beneath my thumbs.
Yeah, The only things I appreciated about the XL are the much better build quality and the larger screen in comparison to the original 3DS but the latter was maybe a bit too big for me especially the bottom screen. New 3DS (S) should solve both aspects so I'm excited to get my hands on it!

Should be delivered on Friday.

XaosWolf

I downgraded to from the XL, and it am having no trouble with the size. The OG 3DS was tiny and pointy, so was uncomfortable for almost everyone.

Everything is sharper and the 3D enhancement means you won't have to compensate for the sweet spot by holding it awkwardly.

Still need to test the battery life out. Will do that today.

For those on the edge: If you enjoy playing with the 3D, then upgrade.
People certainly aren't overselling the difference between the old 3D and the super stable 3D.
Its incredible.

Bababaloo

Neo Member
Now that the New 3DS is available on PAL territory, any idea when Nintendo will update Smash Bros 3DS in order to be able to use the game with Amiibo's ?
I would love to test my Amiboo on 3DS too ^^

Hasney

Now that the New 3DS is available on PAL territory, any idea when Nintendo will update Smash Bros 3DS in order to be able to use the game with Amiibo's ?
I would love to test my Amiboo on 3DS too ^^

They've not announced or hinted at any timescales yet.

I'm really worried about my NA blue smash bros edition N3DS XL.... Please tell me it's coming here.....

Smash will be old news by the time the N3DS comes out in NA, so I would guess at no.

So GAF,the New 3DS XL has the same screen as the original XL right? As in due to resolution the game looks a bit more washed out compared to a normal 3DS due to the size of the screen, right?

I'm trying to decide if I can go back to a smaller screen or just upgrade and go with New XL,tough decision ahead.

Also I heard the second half of Bravely Default is disappointing, what would Gaf say about Fantasy Life,the better game?

Thanks.

catmincer

So GAF,the New 3DS XL has the same screen as the original XL right? As in due to resolution the game looks a bit more washed out compared to a normal 3DS due to the size of the screen, right?

I'm trying to decide if I can go back to a smaller screen or just upgrade and go with New XL,tough decision ahead.

Also I heard the second half of Bravely Default is disappointing, what would Gaf say about Fantasy Life,the better game?

Thanks.

I went XL to N3DS and don't regret it. The screen is still bigger than the OG 3DS.

Fantasy Life > Bravely Default IMO.

Hasney

Fantasy Life is better if you have people to trade items with for me, but jump in the OT and you should have enough people to get by with. I found it frustrating trying to be totally solo.

I went XL to N3DS and don't regret it. The screen is still bigger than the OG 3DS.

Fantasy Life > Bravely Default IMO.

Thanks, I guess I will get the standard N3DS as XL while great always had ever so slightly lower image quality due to resolution.

Fantasy Life is better if you have people to trade items with for me, but jump in the OT and you should have enough people to get by with. I found it frustrating trying to be totally solo.

Oh man...don't say that please as I'm a solo player I hate the trend these days with everything being connected and having to find people online to get the full experience.

I know some might find it weird but for me I prefer a solo experience unless it is a Multi-Player exclusive title like Battlefield etc.

Melon Husk

I find myself pressing the abxy buttons with the joint of my thumb, the buttons are quite small. The bottom screen's got 3 (very) minor scratches already because there is no glass.

CLEEK

I've gone full circle.

3DS -> XL -> n3DS.

Hated the ergonomics if the original and found the XL an improvement in every way. Was going to go nXL, but had a good feel of a n3DS and its rounded off corners are infinitely more comfortable to the original. The SNES styling was too alluring, so I'm fine with 'downgrading' to a smaller screen.

Only bummer is its an Xmas present from my wife and I'm not allowed to have it until Xmas day. Only 22 more sleeps!

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Thanks.

I went from an original XL to the New 3DS XL and the screens, even if they have the same size, are better on the new : better contrasts and colors :)

It's clearly visible in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuWBMQSYQNc

Rich!

Yep. The top screen is far better, even in 2D.

Viewing angles and contrast are much improved. This is a photo I took of a snes emulator running on my New XL:

img_20141128_045341cpc5l.jpg

Looks amazing.

I went from an original XL to the New 3DS XL and the screens, even if they have the same size, are better on the new : better contrasts and colors :)

It's clearly visible in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuWBMQSYQNc

Wow, I don't know how I missed that video...yeah that does look good, thanks man I guess I'm actually going XL again.

EDIT:I just have one last question regarding SD, If I get the 64GB MicroSD SDXC and format it to FAT32, I know it will work however anyone think games will start being bigger then 4GB which will be a limit for FAT 32?(Like Xenoblade)

Tommy DJ

I agree, the New 3DS XL's screen is much, much better than the OG 3DS XL's screen. The viewing angles and saturation is obviously better.

Hasney

Wow, I don't know how I missed that video...yeah that does look good, thanks man I guess I'm actually going XL again.

EDIT:I just have one last question regarding SD, If I get the 64GB MicroSD SDXC and format it to FAT32, I know it will work however anyone think games will start being bigger then 4GB which will be a limit for FAT 32?(Like Xenoblade)

Even if they are, they will likely be split up over several files rather than have one giant file.

So I've just watched one of that NihongoGamer's videos comparing both new models and he's testing the download speed a little past the 13 minute mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlUnR8DfDU

Is it true that the XL downloads stuff significantly faster? If so, wtf? I really want the smaller model for the faceplates and I've heard the smaller screen makes the image a bit sharper, but if the download speed is that slow compared to the XL...

Could it be an error on his part or is it really that bad?

Mistle

^did you stop watching the video?

He does another test and the non XL wins. Whichever starts first hogs the bandwidth.

Silly test to begin with.

Even if they are, they will likely be split up over several files rather than have one giant file.

I never even thought about that, yeah that settles it I'm picking up a N3DSXL tomorrow with 64GB card.

I also got Cubic Ninja however I'm regretting it, emulators don't Interest me much, I got it for hopes of region-free gaming, however it seems that is a long way off.

Rich!

I got it for hopes of region-free gaming, however it seems that is a long way off.

actually, it's not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQ-0Jr9Qpc

The next gateway update works on all firmwares including the newest New 3DS firmware (9.2.0.20). Aside from the obvious ability to load backups, for better or worse, it also patches the OS to enable full region free. Update will be out by the end of the year.

Of course, it requires the £50 gateway flashcart (one thats available right now), but cubic ninja is currently £40 or so and sells for that much on ebay too. Well, the resell price is gonna crash soon because of this...but still.

If you want region free, sell your cubic ninja whilst you still can for £40 or so and buy a gateway before the demand hits.

actually, it's not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQ-0Jr9Qpc

The next gateway update works on all firmwares including the newest New 3DS firmware (9.2.0.20). Aside from the obvious ability to load backups, for better or worse, it also patches the OS to enable full region free. Update will be out by the end of the year.

Of course, it requires the £50 gateway flashcart (one thats available right now), but cubic ninja is currently £40 or so and sells for that much on ebay too. Well, the resell price is gonna crash soon because of this...but still.

If you want region free, sell your cubic ninja whilst you still can for £40 or so and buy a gateway before the demand hits.

Yeah, I'm cancelling my order for Cubic Ninja...I will look into the Gateway card hopefully we can put region-locking behind us.(I wish Nintendo removed this crap so we didn't have to use Homebrew)

caligula13

Gold Member
got my white new 3DS today. have to say it is ugly as hell (but i don't care, the 3D is great)

but, how do i turn off that automatic light thing?

MicH

I just picked up my new 3DS XL metallic blue from the post office, and after 15 or so minutes with it, I am in love. I absolutely LOVE the metallic blue color - it is absolutely gorgeous! Really, really happy I went with that color. The new power button is so much better than the old one - so much easier to press too! I really like that. However, there's a BIG thing that I absolutely cannot stand about this system: the new stylus. My god that thing is horrible to use. I already miss the one from the old XL systems

Also, what size screwdriver do you need to take off the back plate?

Rich!

I just picked up my new 3DS XL metallic blue from the post office, and after 15 or so minutes with it, I am in love. I absolutely LOVE the metallic blue color - it is absolutely gorgeous! Really, really happy I went with that color. The new power button is so much better than the old one - so much easier to press too! I really like that. However, there's a BIG thing that I absolutely cannot stand about this system: the new stylus. My god that thing is horrible to use. I already miss the one from the old XL systems

Also, what size screwdriver do you need to take off the back plate?

philips 00

and yes, the XL is glorious. Love mine:

inFZKoaEzt7Wq.JPG

ibxwXLlZCgts1k.JPG

that mirror like sheen on the top is sexy

Rich!

The only thing I don't like is the glossy underside. It's a pain during longer, potentially sweaty, gaming sessions.

But it's a removable plate! So as soon as a matte variation is produced, I can buy a replacement plate from ebay for cheap and swap it over. Matte black would be nice, but I guess I could use any!

XaosWolf

The only issue I have with the n3DS are silly aesthetic things:

- The top face plate has an edge on one side for some reason. (Thought it would sit flush)

- The stylus placement.

- The power button is kinda hard to press.

- The start and select buttons should have been either side of the home button. The big blank spaces on either side look strange.

Fun fact: I didnt wipe down the top at all. I just rubbed it quickly on my shirt before taking the photo.

People are overreacting, its not that bad.

Welp, I've got the blue one myself and it shows grease everywhere. Considering making the whole thing matte myself. (don't want to destroy the console though)

Top Bottom