• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New StarWars: Battlefront video!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm hoping that the PC version will have some decent map-creation utilities. I'm worried that they might be more focused on the console versions and that the PC version will be more of an afterthought port, much like the Silent Hill games and the like. In other words, sure the games are nice, but don't take as much advantage of the PC format as would have been if they had been designed from the ground up. I also hope that the version they were playing is just a beta, because there were a few conspicuous bugs.

Falch

hehe, that stormtrooper floated out of his 'tank' and back. "Uh.....it's a beta". :)

Anyway, I'll look into the PC version, if I'm not too occupied with Half-Life 2/CS 2 by then.

aerofx

That looks like a lot of fun and the levels looks huge as well. Now I'm not a big fan of star wars but I may just pick this up for Live. Anybody know the max amount of players for Live?

DarthWoo

Did anyone else start getting annoyed when the guy kept trying to shoot the shield generators through the shield, and took forever to figure out that he couldn't?

Forsete

DarthWoo said:
Did anyone else start getting annoyed when the guy kept trying to shoot the shield generators through the shield, and took forever to figure out that he couldn't?

Yeah.. Poor player, like in all racing game videos.. They choose to videotape all the sucky players, going into walls etc.

I have played the PS2 demo. Great game.. Cant make up my mind if I should go for the PS2 version or PC.

I dunno, the concept looks good, but that looks like it'll get fairly tiring quickly. There just doesn't seem to be too much apparently strategy- particularly in the map design featured in the video and the lack of weapons.

LAMBO

aerofx said:
That looks like a lot of fun and the levels looks huge as well. Now I'm not a big fan of star wars but I may just pick this up for Live. Anybody know the max amount of players for Live?

In the video someone that works there said it was upped from 16 to 24 players for xbox live. I think he said 128 for the PC though and that's what i'll get, i could only imagine how cool that would be with 128 human players.

I would like to see a good player playing it cause that vid made the game look pretty repetative.

cja

Looks nice but some of the movement and vehicle combat don't seem quite right, poor animation in places and I'm worried how well balanced the game will be. 50/50 if I'll pick it up, planning to get on XBL in the next couple of weeks and this looks as good a n00b game as any :).

aerofx said:
Anybody know the max amount of players for Live?
The bloke who answered the queries said 24 for Xbox, 16 PS2 and 32 PC (about 12 minutes through the video). He seemed rather clued in for a demo guy, may have been from Pandemic Brisbane.

Just about ready to view this video full screen on my television set,5 more minutes for the encoding to finish. :D

So it got bumped from 16-24 players for Xbox Live,thats good to hear. I was afraid that there might not be enough players per team to justify a good mix of play balanace in a really huge stage. Because the last thing you want to be doing is looking for your team mates in really huge playing stages. With more players thrown in the mix now maybe that won't be a problem now.

Drey1082

cja said:
Looks nice but some of the movement and vehicle combat don't seem quite right, poor animation in places and I'm worried how well balanced the game will be. 50/50 if I'll pick it up, planning to get on XBL in the next couple of weeks and this looks as good a n00b game as any :).

The bloke who answered the queries said 24 for Xbox, 16 PS2 and 32 PC (about 12 minutes through the video). He seemed rather clued in for a demo guy, may have been from Pandemic Brisbane.

24 for live? Not too shabby. I'm definitely considering this now.

Blimblim said:
Anyone nice enough to be willing to upload the video to my site so I can mirror it ?

I guess i could do it for you. I can send it to you through Yahoo Instant Messenger.Sorry but I don't have any other means,nothing like an FTP anyway.

PM me if you still want the video.

pilonv1

Drey1082 said:
24 for live? Not too shabby. I'm definitely considering this now.

So it's confirmed 24? I'm much more interested in 24 players, 16 players doesn't seem very epic to me.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Pretty impressive. The first images i originally seen seemed like the poor mans Battlefield 1942.

Although Galatic Conquest is looking good for a mod.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Mike Works said:
I dunno, the concept looks good, but that looks like it'll get fairly tiring quickly. There just doesn't seem to be too much apparently strategy- particularly in the map design featured in the video and the lack of weapons.

Agreed. I was really excited about this, but the bland 4 class-character selection (Each with very limited weapons) and small variety of vehicles on each map makes me think this really isn't the huge sandbox the Battlefield games are.

jedimike

ravingloon said:
Agreed. I was really excited about this, but the bland 4 class-character selection (Each with very limited weapons) and small variety of vehicles on each map makes me think this really isn't the huge sandbox the Battlefield games are.

It was never intended to be... They still have to remain faithful to the storyline, so it makes sense that you can't drive an AT-AT on Naboo or fly a Snowspeeder on Yavin. The new 24 player limit on XBL is perfect. It allows for 3, 4-man assaults instead of just 2.

IJoel

This looks very good. This is one of those few games I'm really awaiting on reviews as it has a big potential.

DarthWoo

Now that I think about it, there does seem to be a bit too much potential for the bunny-hopping gameplay I dislike a bit. You could see on the Naboo level that the battle droids could jump nearly twice their height in the air, then do rolls on the ground in any which direction, with no apparent stamina meter or something similar. While the enemies were not doing such things, that's probably just a result of their being AI enemies. I'm going to hate seeing a heavily encumbered Stormtrooper hopping merrily around.

Oh well, I already preordered it, so I'll just hope for the best.

Alex

That looked pretty decent, so I went back and checked the GameSpot video preview, which made a lot of the map elements and classes sound a lot more interesting than what was shown.

I wasn't intending on buying it, not being a Star Wars fan, but I'm considering it now.

Check these out! Can't wait!
sw011.gif

Video1
Video2

Bog

Junior Ace
For those saying it looks repetitive/boring, remember this is single player. Try watching movies of Battlefield 1942 or Vietnam in single player. It's a joke.

DarthWoo

Hmm...none of the videos I've seen have a player driving the AT-ATs. I hope that's not a sign that they're for AI only. I also hope that you can kill by stepping on people with the larger vehicles. :D

Another thing I noticed in those two newer videos was the Republic clone troops hopping into unmanned droid vehicles... I guess for the sake of balanced gameplay some disbelief must be suspended.

Ramirez

Those 2 latest vids look awesome!

And the guy in the first vid told the guys they could drive AT-ATs,but they didn't try it...I've read it at multiple places as well,just haven't seen it.

Bog said:
For those saying it looks repetitive/boring, remember this is single player. Try watching movies of Battlefield 1942 or Vietnam in single player. It's a joke.
Yeah, but I'm not trashing it because of the AI or anything. It's the potential behind the mechanics featured in the video that sours the experience. 1 gun in SW:BF does not reach the potential of assault rifles/pistols/grenade launchers/rocket launchers + grenades/mines/tnt/booby traps + binoculars/throwing stars/pungi sticks/etc. It might not fit the Star Wars cannon, but it would make for a simply better game.

It's too bad, because there's a lot of potential thanks to the various vehicles and Star Wars environments.

Top Bottom