• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Zave

In flower-1, near the end, there are two blocks floating together. When you hit the second, it flies away. Hit it from above instead of below, and you will ride the block. Keep on riding it, and it will fly into the sky and to the secret exit.

Great! Thanks!

RagnarokX

Beat
Bowser
last night, and I have to say that while I really enjoyed it, and the levels were well designed and a ton of fun, I'm not completely satisfied. The game did a lot right, and the handful of additions were fun, but
I wish there had been a few surprises along the way, and perhaps there will be in the star world, but I was hoping for a new power up, or a new boss somewhere. I hate that the recent games have kept the old style of always having the same minibosses like the boom booms in Mario 3 and again in 3d land then the reznors in Mario world and agan in NSMB2, or Bowser Junior in NSMBwii. The Bowser fight wasn't really all that much fun, either. It wasn't that hard, but it was annoying.

Still a fantastic game in the whole, and I have a lot of levels left to find and a hell of a lot of coins to get, so it's not all bad. A lot of the levels seem really well suited to speedrunning, so it's too bad the time score isn't back.

SM3DL was a bit repetitive with boom boom, but then they threw in pom pom. You only fight Bowser Jr like 3 times in NSMBW, and each fight is different and awesome, especially the second one.

SM3DL was a bit repetitive with boom boom, but then they threw in pom pom. You only fight Bowser Jr like 3 times in NSMBW, and each fight is different and awesome, especially the second one.

Yeah, I meant the DS game for Bowser Jr. I liked the bowser Jr fights in Wii.

Boom Boom and Pom pom mixed it up a little, it was far better than Mario 3 with it's swarms of boom booms with only speedy and winged variants, but a third miniboss would have been nice considering how many times the two were fought. Regardless, as far as the minibosses in NSMB2 are concerned, it
made its Reznor fights increasingly more difficult, but even the last ones were only slightly more challenging than Super Mario World. I was really hoping for a fight against the giant wheel that was completely full or maybe three or four small wheels, but they all went down within seconds

So I'm at the beginning of world 5 right now. I've 100%ed world 1-3
and mushroom world
with all star coins and all secret exits. Beside that I started to play around a bit with coin rush mode and here is my mushroom level pack record so far:

bbubx.png

I'm sure that score is nothing Top-100 worth but I wonder how good it is.. Post your scores, guys!

As somebody who 100%ed both NSMB and NSMB Wii, I have to say this is quite different. To me it feels a bit more difficult than the other two games, as far as I can say that. Also I was never somebody who actually tried to collect as many coins as possible in a level but also I never rushed through the level (at least for the first playthrough). This game kinda changed my playing behaviour which isn't a bad thing. I just noticed it the other day how I started paying attention to all these coins but at the same time I wanted to keep my speed up while rocking the gold block on my head. Other people may not care about this, but for me that was really surprising. I'm playing Super Mario Bros. since the late 80's, so that's kinda interesting how a game can change and change you at the same time.

As for the level design itself, I'm really loving it. Who says "this game is rehashing from the other two" clearly didn't play the game long enough. Sure, the worlds and themes are mostly the same, but the level design is really different. I said it the other day to somebody that the game feels somehow different than the other ones before and he pointed out the game was made by new talents at Nintendo. I didn't know that at that point but I wasn't surprised at all. To me it's a really fresh experience. I love this game!

zroid

Banned
I don't know why reviewers insist on mentioning the usual Peach-gets-kidnapped story in every Mario game review. It's more of a cliche than what it's describing, at this point.

Just let it go. That's not the point of Mario games. Nobody cares.

RagnarokX

I don't know why reviewers insist on mentioning the usual Peach-gets-kidnapped story in every Mario game review. It's more of a cliche than what it's describing, at this point.

Well, you see, Peach getting kidnapped and the focus on coins is actually a very deep and complex commentary on the economy and...

:p

Is that really the story in this game again? Seriously? Ugh, I'll pass.

Not that I was expecting much of anything from collecting 1 million coins, it's still kind of silly to have the marketing be "What happens after you collect 1 million coins?" While I was expecting something as meaningless as a star, it would've been nice had they at least given you one extra level unlock for collecting that many. Or allowing you to spend coins for power-ups or secret levels/paths. I was hardly expecting much so the reward was about what I was expecting but it's still annoying regardless.

Celine

It's been a long time since New Super Mario Brothers, for me, so since NSMBWii was more recent, I can only fully compare it to the new game.

The levels are smaller than NSMBW, probably on par with NSMB, but they are creative, with a lot of variety from level to level. The cannon levels are fantastic, and I wish there were more of them. They feel fresh and new, which is the one thing this game really doesn't have much of. It feels like most of the levels are parts from other mario games, mostly 3, world, and the other NSMB games, just mixed in clever, interesting ways.

The ghost houses are excellent, and there are a few surprises there, but there are very few other surprises in the game.

Still, it's really solid, no levels struck me as boring, most of the boss fights are decent, although after you get your first hit on most bosses, you shouldn't get hit again. Not crazy about the last boss, definitely not on par with NSMBwii or Super Mario 3Dland's final bosses.

I prefer NSMB Wii and 3Dland overall, both are more challenging and longer lasting, but it's still much better than the DS game. The (mostly) short stages are really tightly designed and easy to dash through for a replay. I had fun pretty much the whole time, and I have a few stages to unlock and star coins to get still.
Thank you.

explodet

Well, you see, Peach getting kidnapped and the focus on coins is actually a very deep and complex commentary on the economy and...

I rather enjoyed Zero Punctuation's ridiculous over-analysis of the Super Mario Bros. setting:
Here we have two warring kingdoms, each a mirror of the other. On one side, a nation of decadent bourgeoisie toadstool people ruled by an aloof aristocrat whose original function has become buried beneath luxurious ceremony, while the other kingdom is populated by a downtrodden working class led by a charismatic union leader - a sort of Jimmy Hoffa if he were a fire-breathing turtle lizard thing, a tragic figure who evokes the paradox of the lower-middle class as he loudly trumpets his opposition to those of higher status even while desperately seeking their approval. To this everlasting stalemate comes an anarchistic revolutionary who seeks to bring chaos to the two warring faces of order, symbolizing the inevitable entropy and decay that comes with political stagnation.

I considered downloading the JP version to my 3DS but decided to wait for the NA retail release because I'm only paying $30 for it, thanks NewEgg :)

Man you guys are tetchy, he gives the game a fairly glowing review considering how phoned in the game appears to be. If you want to pick fight, go after the right people- like mentioned Yahtzee, or Edge who once wrote an analysis of how significant Super Mario Sunshine was. because in the hotel level he was cleaning up and fixing toilets, he was finally a plumber!

I wouldn't even call what he said a joke, that's what I like to call writing.

Drago

I considered downloading the JP version to my 3DS but decided to wait for the NA retail release because I'm only paying $30 for it, thanks NewEgg :)
Yup

Probably the only thing keeping me from going digital seeing as by going digital I get more CN coins, NOA doesn't give two fucks about the box, and I do like the idea of having all games at all times, especially for games like Mario that I can play in quick bursts. I'll be going mostly physical, but there are a few games I'd rather have digitally. NSMB would be one of those few games

Did I read correctly that SM3DL can also download scores from spot pass? Never saw any other run times other than my Streetpass tags. Do you need to turn Invite Mii on? (cuz I ain't doin' that for obvious reasons)

Anyways, online leaderboards for NSMB2 would be nice but I loved competing against Streetpass times in SM3DL, it's like having downloadable arcade rivals around you wherever you go. I still enjoy getting the gifts and mystery boxes too.

edit: Animal Crossing will be downloadable? Heck yes!

Chunky

I kind of like this recent trend of Nintendo games seemingly saving all their hype for the penultimate month. Given me quite a few nice surprises :D

StayDead

Did I read correctly that SM3DL can also download scores from spot pass? Never saw any other run times other than my Streetpass tags. Do you need to turn Invite Mii on? (cuz I ain't doin' that for obvious reasons)

Anyways, online leaderboards for NSMB2 would be nice but I loved competing against Streetpass times in SM3DL, it's like having downloadable arcade rivals around you wherever you go. I still enjoy getting the gifts and mystery boxes too.

edit: Animal Crossing will be downloadable? Heck yes!

If you're going off of what I said before then I don't know if it's entirely confirmed but Nintendo said all their games would be downloadable after NSMB2 and Oni Training so there's a massive chance it will be.

NSMB2 and MST3K volume 24 are both gonna eat my entertainment budget for the next thirty days and I'm OK with that.

If you're going off of what I said before then I don't know if it's entirely confirmed but Nintendo said all their games would be downloadable after NSMB2 and Oni Training so there's a massive chance it will be.

Cool, grain of salt then but I don't see why it won't happen.

Again though, can anyone confirm if/how SM3DL downloads rival times via Spotpass?

zroid

Banned
Man you guys are tetchy, he gives the game a fairly glowing review considering how phoned in the game appears to be. If you want to pick fight, go after the right people- like mentioned Yahtzee, or Edge who once wrote an analysis of how significant Super Mario Sunshine was. because in the hotel level he was cleaning up and fixing toilets, he was finally a plumber!

I wouldn't even call what he said a joke, that's what I like to call writing.

What exactly are you talking about ^_~

I'd be a little more concerned about the Jim Sterling Destructoid review if it weren't for his oddly fawning admiration for the first game;

New Super Mario Bros. released for the Nintendo DS in 2006. The "new" in the title was a somewhat ironic reference to the fact that Mario had returned to his 2D platforming roots, a return that many gamers welcomed with open arms. It helped that the game was brilliant fun, of course. 

Unfortunately, while NSMB2's lust for coinage gives it an addictive quality, it doesn't give it the same sense of replay value the original had. I played the original New Super Mario Bros. over and over again because it was just that damn splendid, and I wanted to explore every nook and cranny.

To each their own and NSMB 2006 was fun...but c'mon. "Brilliant"? He thinks the coin quest in this game is boring yet praises NSMB for its "Sense of replay value" (when the coins in that game gave you NOTHING) and "damn splendid"? No. I'm floored someone would give the original such glowing praise as one of the key reasons to dismiss a sequel especially after NSMB Wii decisively showed everything that was wrong with the first (no rewards for collecting the star coins, incredibly easy, boring level design). This review seems really contradictory.

Is this the first Nintendo game with completely rehashed music? I kind of want to see the staff roll on this to see how many people actually worked on it.

Drago

Hmm... I'm flip-flopping on this issue

I'm thinking I'm just gonna go digital for this game... if I go digital then I have it with me at all times, I can play in short bursts which will help more towards 1 million coins, I get 100 freaking CN coins, and I'll be supporting a program I'd like to see succeed on consoles (digital distribution). I also get it first thing in the morning instead of waiting a few days for shipping. I never resell any of my games so that isn't an issue ;P

If I go physical I'm saving $10 from NewEgg (which really isn't much and is more than made up for with the insane CN coin bonus) and get a shitty white boring box that I can put in a physical collection, with no worries about the game incase something goes wrong with the 3DS. I expect an account system soon after the release though for WiiU/3DS compatibility so that won't be an issue for long, plus club Nintendo proof of purchase just incase.

I seriously don't know... if America gets those nice gift cards that Japan gets then I'll probably go digital... any opinions? :/

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It has been up 'till now, I'll admit. We've never had as much Mario as we have in recent years, and it's all been good. But two sidescrollers in the space of a few months?

NMSBU looks like its trying to refresh this meta-genre with aggressive level design and truly original backgrounds....plus, being in HD and with already gorgeous graphics doesn't hurt, either

If anything, NSMB2 will make me crave a completely new New experience, which I'm convinced NSMBU will deliver big time

Peff

Wow...
I thought it'd be a cool model you could rotate or something. They reeaally should have said nothing and let it be an "oh, neat" easter egg.

watershed

Banned
Lol, that's hilarious.

Outside of the Dash Mario stages does this game bring anything new to the "New" series? Maybe even new in feel? With a new team working on this game I'm curious how much freedom they felt to switch things up versus how much they felt they had to adhere to the "New" series formula/conventions.

Here's the 1 Million Coin reward.

It's as underwhelming as you probably imagined

They really put no effort into this game, holy shit. New title screen, really? The whole coin system already is a wasted opportunity in this and then they don't even come up with something substantial for the goal they've been hyping up? The statue could have at least been integrated into the home menu, friendlist, etc somehow

Lol, that's hilarious.

Outside of the Dash Mario stages does this game bring anything new to the "New" series? Maybe even new in feel? With a new team working on this game I'm curious how much freedom they felt to switch things up versus how much they felt they had to adhere to the "New" series formula/conventions.

It's a really good game overall, but no, there's not much really new here. It's basically some sharply designed levels filled with enemies, items, and blocks taken from older Mario games. The coin related things and the cannon levels are the only new parts. After rewatching some NSMBWii footage, there's less new than I thought.

It really is the Mario game with the least new material of all. It makes NSMBWii and 3DLand feel shocking and revolutionary by comparison. There are no surprises, except
that there are no surprises.

But it sure as hell is polished.

Top Bottom