• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Murrah

Banned
The challenges in this are super good; I think that they above all else shows that Nintendo really does listen, because this stuff feels like the true evolution of 2d Mario. If DKCR gets a sequel it needs similar bonuses and not just the lame mirror mode and gimped time trials

5 player looks great fun, from watching the Quick Look but the controller cost and logistics of having 4 other people to play with make it hard to get excited about.

No more screwing around. I am going to get all the Star Coins before going to the next level.

When playing games with collectibles like this, I actually feel like it's better to not go back in and get all the collectibles until post-game. A few reasons.

- You will see any false/bad endings for not getting 100%.
- You will get more variety from the game (not playing the same level over and over).
- You may get more longevity from the game (incentive to replay levels post-game)

When playing games with collectibles like this, I actually feel like it's better to not go back in and get all the collectibles until post-game. A few reasons.

- You will see any false/bad endings for not getting 100%.
- You will get more variety from the game (not playing the same level over and over).
- You may get more longevity from the game (incentive to replay levels post-game)

This is what I plan on doing - just play through story mode levels as quick as possible, then come back later and try to uncover the secrets and such.

MAtgS

Any footage of Miis in the main
"
story
"
mode? All info I've read seems to suggest they can only be used in the bonus modes.

watershed

Banned
I'm watching hd footage of this game online and it looks absolutely beautiful. Even though the graphics are simple it gives me hope about hd Nintendo games.

dan2026

I have to say for being on the most powerful current console, the graphics don't look so hot.
Does anyone know if its 1080p at least?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I like the Miiverse integration. It doesn't impact the actual gameplay at all but it makes the game feel slightly more alive. I got some yeahs off a dumb drawing, which I think is about the extent the system has to offer.

Ydahs

I have to say for being on the most powerful current console, the graphics don't look so hot.
Does anyone know if its 1080p at least?

Nope, 720p. The graphics in this game don't have anything to do with power. It's just the NSMB art style that doesn't look so hot.

Any footage of Miis in the main
"
story
"
mode?
All info I've read seems to suggest they can only be used in the bonus modes.

iseewhatyoudidthere_zps9342b791.gif

dan2026

Nope, 720p. The graphics in this game don't have anything to do with power. It's just the NSMB art style that doesn't look so hot.

Guess you're right. I'll be honest the gameplay doesn't look so hot either.
But people will still buy it in droves, I imagine.

Then Nintendo will make another one....

Platy

Question.

Do you guys think Nintendo should should make multiplayer mandatory in all 2D Mario games from now on?

I say yes.

It depends on what you say mandatory.

"Every game should have a multiplayer OPTION ?" Yes for console games.

"Every game must have at least 2 players to be able to finish" No way for any mario game except MAYBE mario party

kinggroin

Banned
I'll be honest. I spend today playing NSMB Wii because I'm kinda thinking about buying a Wii U this year. And when your video started I had to do a double take. It looks almost identical at first glance. It doesn't help that the music and environments are the same.

Awesome video! Gameplay looks solid for the most part, but that music, holy wow. It's bad enough that it almost feels like a troll.

A thousand times no.
This is what led to arbitrary crap multiplayer modes in games that didn't need them.
Such as Dead Space 2.

This among other things is also what led to Insomniac not making true Ratchet games anymore but focusing on social and multiplayer aspects in their games instead now :(

going OT though with that

Galang

Banned
There's a video of the final (epic) level. MASSIVE SPOILERS

http://alturl.com/9uo3q

Bowser's model looks really amazing, wow!

I'll be honest. I spend today playing NSMB Wii because I'm kinda thinking about buying a Wii U this year. And when your video started I had to do a double take. It looks almost identical at first glance. It doesn't help that the music and environments are the same.

A lot of the comments on youtube say the same thing, so I'm wondering how more casual players perceive it.

I can't believe how bland NSMB music is. Galaxys is like in the top 3 of the generation and great music has always been important for Mario. Fire the music dude and let the Galaxy guy do all the Mario games thanks!

Roo

I couldn't help it and watched 30 seconds of the final Bowser battle and I have to say I'm probably too easy to please, but Bowser does look damn good!!
I really like Bowser's model it looks so detailed. My God!! the lighting when he shoots his fireballs!!
can't wait to see the rest of Nintendo franchises in HD!!!!

the next Smash Bros is going to be an eyergasm :O

I couldn't help it and watched 30 seconds of the final Bowser battle and I have to say I'm probably too easy to please, but Bowser does look damn good!!
I really like Bowser's model it looks so detailed. My God!! the lighting when he shoots his fireballs!!
can't wait to see the rest of Nintendo franchises in HD!!!!

the next Smash Bros is going to be an eyergasm :O

Wow, just go ahead and spoil the final boss, for FUCKS sake you guys!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's a video of the final (epic) level. MASSIVE SPOILERS

http://alturl.com/9uo3q

Wasn't going to spoil, but
that's a pretty disappointing Bowser fight. I liked the trend of post-fight platforming runs that both NSMBW and NSMB2 had. This looked dull.

Top Bottom