• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NewEgg is in the Process of thrusting painfully into my dry starfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

Alright, whoever here kept saying NewEgg rocks: I have an anecdote to match you.

June 20
Recently, NewEgg was running a sale on a particular brand of 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) RAM. I ordered two sticks, in order to appease the monster within my MacBook.

June 23
What I received a few days later was one correct (DDR2 667Mhz) stick, and one stick that was correct except for being 533Mhz and not 667. I got on the phone, and was told that I would have to send back the incorrect stick.

They told me they'd charge $5 back on my card to ship it to them, even though the huge box had cost me $10 to have shipped in the first place, so I argued her into giving me $10 (which ended up being the cost of shipping it back to them).

I shipped it back less than an hour after receiving it.

June 30
They report that they've gotten back my item and that after 2-3 days of processing, they'd ship me back the correct one.

July 7 & 10
I called or e-mailed them each of these days to try to get more information on why it was still processing when the same stick of RAM was still in stock on their site. I got bullshit answers that things are going as quickly as possible, it'll ship soon, yadda.

Moments ago
I got an e-mail back from one of them, with this zinger:
NewEgg said:
In reviewing your account, we see that your returned item is still under inspection. After the inspection, we tested that the item we sent to you is correct. We will ship the item directly back to you in a timely manner.

I have no clue what this inspection really could have entailed, as I sent them back the thing still sealed, with a little note pointing out the part of the box that detailed exactly what was wrong with the one they'd sent me.

So I just sent them this back:
Me With My Angry Face said:
Do NOT send me back the item that I've already returned to you as
incorrect. If you've failed to detect that it doesn't match what was
ordered, you've failed to read the yellow italicized numbers in the
upper-right-hand corner of the front face of its still sealed
packaging.

The item you sent me was NOT correct. I ordered 2 667Mhz SODIMMs. One
of them was indeed 667Mhz, the other--which I returned--was 533Mhz.

You will send me a correctly specified 667Mhz SODIMM.

This is what I ordered, per my original invoice:

"Transcend JetRam 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook
Memory Model JM488Q643A-6 - Retail"

That "DDR2 667" makes all the difference in actual performance over
the incorrect "DDR2 533" that was sent to me. I refuse to pay for what
I did not order. You will send me the correct stick or you will give
me a full refund for BOTH sticks, because I will only run this machine
with properly same-manufacturer paired RAM.

This is wholly unacceptable. I have absolutely no qualms about
slandering NewEgg up and down message boards, blogs, and making direct
complaints to the BBB if you send me back the same incorrect item. Fix
this.

-Juice

**** that noise.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This is just a blip in the Universal Contruct juice. NewEgg is awesome. You must live in the Bizarro world!

Juice

BlueTsunami said:
This is just a blip in the Universal Contruct juice. NewEgg is awesome. You must live in the Bizarro world!

Take it back. NewEgg is obviously not awesome.

Crisis said:
Did you actually sign it "Juice"? If so, :lol

No, I just edited out my actual name.

Although I have actually gone by "Juice" among friends and through school for the past 10 years.

BlueTsunami

Juice said:
Take it back. NewEgg is obviously not awesome.

No, I just edited out my actual name.

Although I have actually gone by "Juice" among friends and through school for the past 10 years.

:(

Every purchase from NewEgg has been good to me. This has to be the workings of a vengefull God!

White Man

I had a ****ing awful experience with NewEgg. They double charged me on a 1200 dollar order, overdrafted my account by like 900 bucks, and didn't transfer the money back for like a week and a half.

The story gets more complicated: For whatever reason, they thought I was trying to swindle them out of 1200 bucks, when in actuality they had double charged me.

When everything finally got straightened out and they sent my shit, a bunch of the USB ports on the case they sent me were bunk. After dealing with the assholes on the phone for the better part of two weeks, I didn't even want to **** around with their return policy -- I just got a new case at Fry's.

F*CK NEWEGG. I'm never doing business with them again. I may have saved like 300 bucks vs Fry's, but it caused me 2 weeks of headaches, overdraft fees, accusations of trying to defraud them, and bad parts.

A shitty, shitty company.

They treated me like a criminal, and I was nothing but polite to them on the phone.

Kind of why I don't like buying computer parts over the internet. Always cheaper in person where you can touch and feel you're lovely little part.

Juice

White Man said:
I had a ****ing awful experience with NewEgg. They double charged me on a 1200 dollar order, overdrafted my account by like 900 bucks, and didn't transfer the money back for like a week and a half.

The story gets more complicated: For whatever reason, they thought I was trying to swindle them out of 1200 bucks, when in actuality they had double charged me.

When everything finally got straightened out and they sent my shit, a bunch of the USB ports on the case they sent me were bunk. After dealing with the assholes on the phone for the better part of two weeks, I didn't even want to **** around with their return policy -- I just got a new case at Fry's.

F*CK NEWEGG. I'm never doing business with them again. I may have saved like 300 bucks vs Fry's, but it caused me 2 weeks of headaches, overdraft fees, accusations of trying to defraud them, and bad parts.

A shitty, shitty company.

UGH! Where were you in the thread about me buying RAM!?

WalkMan

Banned
Juice said:
Alright, whoever here kept saying NewEgg rocks: I have an anecdote to match you.

June 20
Recently, NewEgg was running a sale on a particular brand of 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) RAM. I ordered two sticks, in order to appease the monster within my MacBook.
Hey how much did you buy the two sticks of ram for? I'm interested in upgrading my laptop as well. :)

Pellham

Banned
NewEgg is crap. I bought a bunch of stuff from them and had to return because they were defective out of the box. And unlike a cool company like Dell, you're forced to pay for shipping costs to RMA. **** NewEgg, **** them hard.

Juice

WalkMan said:
Hey how much did you buy the two sticks of ram for? I'm interested in upgrading my laptop as well. :)

$150 for the 2x1GB SODIMMs.

But I'm sure I'm going to end up paying a lot more in the end. Don't order from them.

Juice

BlueTsunami said:
Ok..how about TigerDirect.com?

>_>

I've ordered from them twice. Both times went pretty well. But this isn't about how awesome TigerDirect is, this is about how much NEWEGG SUCKS

MrDaravon

I've ordered tons of shit from newegg, never had any problems.

With ANY retailer or store, no matter how good it is, even if 99% of customers have a great experience, there's always that 1%. No one's perfect all the time. You got screwed no doubt, and I hardly blame you from not using them again, but I'd still reccommend them to people. I would say newegg is probably the only online retailer I would absolutely reccommend no matter what actually.

BlueTsunami

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
<3 Newegg

Dozens of orders over years, all of them perfect.

There you go. Liu Kang Baking A Pie, satisfied Newegg customer.

I just think this must be some elaborate punk session applied to Juice, WhiteMan and various other people.

I had a bad experience with NewEgg and I remember posting about it here and getting flamed. It's retarded how people just mindlessly defend a corporation like it was a family member.

For the most part though, I've had good experience with them which is why I still order from them.

Juice

BlueTsunami said:
There you go. Liu Kang Baking A Pie, satisfied Newegg customer.

I just think this must be some elaborate punk session applied to Juice, WhiteMan and various other people.

memory_ddr2_667.jpg

"What if we switched THIS RAM Module..."

KLB-DDR2_B.jpg

"With THIS one?!"

Ashton.jpg

"PUNK'D!" (am total)

teiresias

Yeah, been using NewEgg for years and have never had any issues. The only two times I had to deal with them past actually placing my order was pretty painless. The first time I had to RMA a stick of laptop RAM that died within a month. (Actually, I may have dealt with the manufacturer on that one, but I don't think so).

The other issue was just a few months ago, where my order was sitting at step 3 (or whatever) for like a week and wasn't getting processed at the warehouse. It took a few days for the support people to get in touch with the warehouse people and get it sorted out, but I got free next day shipping and a $25 coupon out of the deal so I won't complain too much.

I love NewEgg and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Rorschach

I used them for many orders and haven't had problems. I don't use them anymore since I found zipzoomfly to be cheaper for me half the time and they are always faster, but I've never had problems with them.

bluemax

Banned
I love NewEgg. With their relative proximity I can pick the cheapest shipping option and get all my stuff from them in so much less time.

I did read the review comments on the RAM you bought and there were a decent number of people mentioning that they did not get 667mhz but got 533 instead. Some said it was when they mixed the ram with other brands/models others did not specify.

I'd recommend Newegg over TigerDirect every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
I had an annoying experience with newegg which later turned out great. I ordered a video card from them which was DOA, after 2 weeks of phone calls, they finally game me an RMA number. Normally, they wait to get the product back before they send the new one. I guess they felt bad cause they overnighted a new one free of charge. Now here's the best part: I opened the box to find not one, not two, but THREE video cards! WOO HOO I said. They called a few days later all like, I think we made a mistake and sent you 2 instead of 1 by accident. I said nope, only got one. That was it, they never called me again. They didn't even know they send 2 additional cards, they thought they on;y sent one additional. True story.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is wholly unacceptable. I have absolutely no qualms about
slandering NewEgg up and down message boards, blogs, and making direct
complaints to the BBB if you send me back the same incorrect item. Fix
this.
The BBB takes money from the same companies they are supposed to be watching over. They're useless.

ChrisReid

bluemax said:
I love NewEgg. With their relative proximity I can pick the cheapest shipping option and get all my stuff from them in so much less time.

I did read the review comments on the RAM you bought and there were a decent number of people mentioning that they did not get 667mhz but got 533 instead. Some said it was when they mixed the ram with other brands/models others did not specify.

I'd recommend Newegg over TigerDirect every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Yeah, everything I get from Newegg comes super quick. They actually process your order within minutes/hours of you ordering it, so there's no processing day factored into your shipping time. Pretty good prices, pretty good selection too.

M3wThr33

Banned
One of my roommate had an order cancelled from NewEgg because they said that our address had been flagged as fradulent.
The other THREE of us all ordered from them before AND after her without issue.

She also has REALLY poor manners on the phone, so I'm sure she just pissed them off. She YELLS on the phone all the time. (Even with her parents)

i've ordered stuff from newegg literally about 50 times in the past 4-5 years...

and everything i ordered so far worked fine, except a Ridata 1GB MiniSD Card, which i RMA'd and received a replacement in about a week and a half...

i <3 newegg

h1nch

i havent ordered from newegg in almost a year, but honestly the last time I ordered from them they were steadily losing their quality. Way back in the day newegg was hands down the best place to order computer parts from, like it wasn't even close. but the bigger and more popular they got the shittier their policies became. they started nazifying their RMA policy. basically if u order a DOA motherboard, they won't help you out at all. you have to go thru the manufacturer. of course, every motherboard manufacturer on planet earth is based in taiwan, so they're pretty difficult to deal with, and their RMA process takes several weeks. then they started selling service plans, and so on. last time i checked they were basically turning into an online best buy, only with better prices.

Juice

Definitely sounds like public opinion on NewEgg has started to wane a bit. A year ago I'd never heard anyone complain about them. Are they the reincarnation of that one Egghead chain of computer stores I remember from a decade ago?

So guys, I'm probably going to call these guys on my lunch break tomorrow.

Any pointers on what I can say to get my way fastest? I currently just plan on hitting home that 533 != 667 and that if they send me the 533 back, that I'll tell Jesus on them.

Thoughts?

It seems like NewEgg is love and hate. Alot of people I know say NewEgg is God while alot of people here think NewEgg is balls. Well, I just made my first order with them...I hope it goes well. :(

h1nch

also, it always seemed like newegg would filter product reviews in such a way that most products had overwhelmingly positive scores. i of course have no actual proof to back up this claim, but i mean, no matter how much something rocks there are always going to be loads of people who hate it (just look at the differing opinions here at GAF), yet there are always products which receive poor reviews at professional sites that get nothing but praise from people, who obviously always remember to give props to newegg for shipping the item in 0 days instead of 5 or whatever.

h1nch said:
also, it always seemed like newegg would filter product reviews in such a way that most products had overwhelmingly positive scores. i of course have no actual proof to back up this claim, but i mean, no matter how much something rocks there are always going to be loads of people who hate it (just look at the differing opinions here at GAF), yet there are always products which receive poor reviews at professional sites that get nothing but praise from people, who obviously always remember to give props to newegg for shipping the item in 0 days instead of 5 or whatever.
I've never had a positive or negative comment placed on their site edited or removed. You're thinking too hard about this. A large percentage of the comments you see are just people being really happy the moment they get their new toy and letting everyone know.

Srider

Banned
Juice said:
Definitely sounds like public opinion on NewEgg has started to wane a bit. A year ago I'd never heard anyone complain about them. Are they the reincarnation of that one Egghead chain of computer stores I remember from a decade ago?

So guys, I'm probably going to call these guys on my lunch break tomorrow.

Any pointers on what I can say to get my way fastest? I currently just plan on hitting home that 533 != 667 and that if they send me the 533 back, that I'll tell Jesus on them.

Thoughts?

I understand your frustration but I don't think it was appropriate to be so harsh in your email. If I was on the phone, I would politely point out the multiple mistakes that newegg had made with the customer service person, and also express your frustration (make up some excuse like it's for work/client/emergency) and ask for some form of compensation. Be firm but not insulting, make them feel like they've created a difficult situation for you due to their mistake. If the customer service does not seem to help, ask to speak to the supervisor. Remember to keep a copy of all your transactions and offer to mail them copies if they do not believe you. If they accuse you of ANYTHING, be firm and tell them that you do not appreciate their attitude and make it clear that you have the proof to back up your claims (such as the shipping receipt). Tell them that you are entitled be compensated for the downtime caused by their mistake, if they refuse, simply demand a complete refund and credit any incurred charges and the shipping fees involved back to you.

Be firm and don't accept any BS from them, but that doesn't mean you should rude and over demanding. Making them sympathetic to your situation usually brings extra help/effort from the person handling your situation.

Tain

I'm not liking my perfect image of Newegg being touched on. **** that.

Just had a flawless complete system (well, a $200 Mame PC) purchase from them, and they were great in the past.

h1nch said:

Some guy was building a PC last night and selected a motherboard that had about 3 negative comments about it.

I'm sure they filter a lot of the GameFAQ type nonsense but they do have a few negatives here and there.

Juice

:lol at the new thread title.

Slight update, I got another e-mail saying that she's sending my e-mail to the RMA people--hopefully before they ship the thing back to me this morning.

To the above, yeah, I didn't mean to be overly rude or scathing, but I've noticed that being nice in the past, is usually just an invitation for the customer service rep to blow off your concern, because you are no longer a threat to their support track record. I was exceedingly nice in the previous e-mail, which is part of why I lashed out at the ridiculous reply.

I've learned in the past few years that the only way to get the most out of support, extended warranties, and the like, is to be unwaveringly persistent. Hell, I'm on maybe my 8th or 9th MP3 player from Best Buy, riding out the same $350 capital from years ago, just going from one extended warranty to the next. It certainly isn't possible being a nice guy who takes what the rep (or manager!) has to say at face value. I'd rather be a dick to some guy I'll never see again than get turned around at the door.

Fantasmo

As Newegg's size has gone up, their service quality has gone down.

Average prices up
Shipping prices up
Customer service wayyy down

I've been dicked around by their RMA's as well.

I think the most annoying thing about them is that they have a warehouse in my state now, so I have to pay tax, but it still takes 5 days for their products to reach me!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Wait so this is a pro tigerdirect.com thread and an anti newegg thread? Joke thread, right?
I do agree that newegg has gone downhill quite a bit over the years.

I've ordered a couple of times from newegg some small stuff and it's been OK.

What are some other places people would recommened online for buying computer-building parts (i.e. processors, motherboards). I've used outpost as well before, but their selection seems to be diminishing (maybe it's just me). Any other suggestions?

Meier

I bought some stuff from them oh 4-5 years ago when I built a PC and had a good experience, but they were much smaller at the time I'd imagine so they probably cared more about their customers then.

I've had good luck with mwave.com for another alternative.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I've spent about $3000 in the past 3 years at NewEgg, each experience being pleasant with rapid response and delivery. I could definitely see them starting to lick taint in the next couple years, though. Sure, you don't see as much "free FedEx Express Saver shipping" as there was 2 years ago, but it's still a shit ton cheaper than 7.75% tax in my hometown/billing address and the 9% tax in Chicago/local address. And the below retail prices still rock.

one of my friends has had a pretty rough time with them but still continues to order stuff. I think ive placed one or two orders there and had no problems (minor stuff). He ordered a whole computer worth of parts and there were some... issues. first of all they didnt send him his 2 gigs of ram. They fought this at first because it was on his shipping invoice but wasnt in the box. Took them about two weeks to figure out that yeah they hadnt sent it. The graphics card he bought had to go back too. Despite the spotless packaging, when he opened it several of the little soldered on bits had been sheared off somehow and were rattling around in the box.

Just a couple weeks ago he ordered a new Samsung LCD monitor, and upon opening it he noticed a large smudge on the screen. Not thinking much of it, he then hooked it up and when he powered it on there was a red stuck pixel right in the middle of the smudge. It was totally obvious that someone had used this monitor before him and tried to "rub out" the stuck pixel. So newegg agreed to take it back despite normally having a no refunds on monitors rule. only problem was it cost him $40 to send it :( he is still waiting for a replacement.

Juice

Lakedaimon said:
one of my friends has had a pretty rough time with them but still continues to order stuff. I think ive placed one or two orders there and had no problems (minor stuff). He ordered a whole computer worth of parts and there were some... issues. first of all they didnt send him his 2 gigs of ram. They fought this at first because it was on his shipping invoice but wasnt in the box. Took them about two weeks to figure out that yeah they hadnt sent it. The graphics card he bought had to go back too. Despite the spotless packaging, when he opened it several of the little soldered on bits had been sheared off somehow and were rattling around in the box.

Just a couple weeks ago he ordered a new Samsung LCD monitor, and upon opening it he noticed a large smudge on the screen. Not thinking much of it, he then hooked it up and when he powered it on there was a red stuck pixel right in the middle of the smudge. It was totally obvious that someone had used this monitor before him and tried to "rub out" the stuck pixel. So newegg agreed to take it back despite normally having a no refunds on monitors rule. only problem was it cost him $40 to send it :( he is still waiting for a replacement.

Yeah, I think I'm going to be done with them after this. I've bought dozens of RAM modules over the years and I've never had a problem anywhere (much less been told that after a ten day investigation, that they still can't tell the difference between the correct and incorrect sticks)

Diablos

I've never, ever had a problem with newegg and they're always willing to deal with any problem I may have, even if I brought it upon myself (e.g. trying to return something past the RMA period).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just checked my account history and I have placed 16 orders with them since 2001. not a single problem among them. and that even includes a thunderbird processor that was.... umm..... shipped defective.. yeah, it was shipped that way ;)

sorry to hear about your problems. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom