• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Newsweek): Fall of the (Japanese) Video Kings

Rhindle

Fall of the Video King

Japan's game publishers used to be on top of the world. Now they're losing out to U.S. and European rivals. What happened?

By N'Gai Croal

NewsweekOct. 18 issue - Nintendo's press conferences at the Los Angeles Electronic Entertainment Expo have always been more raucous than those of its competitors. But recently the company seems to be trying a bit too hard. Earlier this year, for instance, Reginald Fils-Aime, the new executive vice president for North America, stood before journalists and declared, "My name is Reggie and I'm about kicking ass." Then he showed footage from souped-up new versions of classic Nintendo heroes, like the gold-armor-clad heroine of Metroid Prime: Echoes and the daring fur ball Fox McCloud from Star Fox 2. The wildest applause of all was reserved for a trailer for the company's new Legend of Zelda game, which reduced some of the seemingly grown men in attendance to tears at the sight of their hero, Link, all grown up and rendered in stunningly believable 3-D. Was Nintendo trying to recapture the glory days, back in 1998, when it owned a quarter of the U.S. market and sold five of the top 10 videogame-console games?

What's clear is that those glory days are gone—not only for Nintendo, but for all Japanese game publishers. The North American videogame market—the world's largest—has been taking off in recent years, but Japanese publishers aren't reaping the rewards—their share of the U.S. market has plunged to 29 percent in 2004, from 49 percent in 1998, according to John Taylor of Arcadia Investment Corp. While the market share of the Japanese game makers tumbled, Western publishers took up the slack. The U.S. firm Electronic Arts now has nine of the top 20 best-selling games, and other American and European firms like Activision and Take-Two grabbed another six. The Christmas season, usually boom time for game makers, looks bleak for Japanese firms. Meanwhile the Japanese firms can no longer rely on their home market to quickly recoup their investments in new games: console-software sales have shrunk from $3.4 billion in 1998 to $2.2 billion last year, a 35 percent drop. "We need the U.S. in order to be profitable," says Namco vice president Yoichi Haraguchi.

How did Japanese game publishers, who dominated the video- game industry in the 1990s, lose their edge so quickly? Some trends have conspired to put them at a disadvantage. Better visual realism, for instance, has made cultural specificity of paramount importance—Mario, Nintendo's four-foot plumber that starred in many of the company's most popular games, doesn't have the universal appeal he once had. But the Japanese firms have also failed to stay relevant to Western consumers, either through their own design prowess or by courting partnerships. "There are three things that make a hit in the current market," says Simon Cox, editor in chief of the magazine Xbox Nation. "It's either culturally relevant, superrealistic or tied to a strong license. Japan currently scores zero on all three of those with their games."
[SNIP]

Rest of article here: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6199779/site/newsweek/

explodet

I think we're way past dominance here.

Let's see... Nintendo's d00med, the Capcom 5, Sega on the Xbox, the my-way-or-the-highway school of game design....

Pretty thorough.

Sports videogames soared in popularity, but the lion's share of that market went to U.S.-based Electronic Arts, as Sony's and Sega's games suffered from poor quality and marketing, respectively.
Madden will crush you.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Western publishers have not picked up the slack... EA has. That's the only real difference between then and now.

ge-man

JJConrad said:
Western publishers have not picked up the slack... EA has. That's the only real difference between then and now.

That's a very good point. I'm surprised that connection isn't made regularly.

Culex

Banned
If not for the money EA brings in, the US market would be a different picture without them. The Japanese market may be a far cry from what it was in 1998, but the rampant studio closing in the US are testament that things are tough around the world, too.

"There are three things that make a hit in the current market," says Simon Cox, editor in chief of the magazine Xbox Nation. "It's either culturally relevant, superrealistic or tied to a strong license. Japan currently scores zero on all three of those with their games."

While I agree with the general point, it's worth noting that none of those applied to Halo when it came out.

explodet

It's not ALL EA - Midway's turning things around - slowly, but surely. And investors and analysts keep complaining about Take Two, but when you've got a multi-million unit selling franchise, the complaining stops there.

Sure, it's not all sunshine and lollipops on the Western side - Acclaim's self-destruction, UK studios closing left and right - but Japan has certainly more to worry about right now.

snapty00

Banned
ge-man said:
That's a very good point. I'm surprised that connection isn't made regularly.
Probably has something to do with the fact that some of the market's biggest games, like Halo and Grand Theft Auto, are not EA games.

SantaC

CrimsonSkies said:
I think gaming is getting better with less Japanese dominance in the industry.

Yeah that would be super. Without the Japanese industry we would never need to play anything other than fps games.

[/endofobviousarcasm]

"There are three things that make a hit in the current market," says Simon Cox, editor in chief of the magazine Xbox Nation. "It's either culturally relevant, superrealistic or tied to a strong license. Japan currently scores zero on all three of those with their games."
Katamari Damacy says STFU

ge-man

explodet said:
Sure, it's not all sunshine and lollipops on the Western side - Acclaim's self-destruction, UK studios closing left and right - but Japan has certainly more to worry about right now.

Well, I'm not trying to spin things into a defense of Japan--Japanese developers themselves have acknowleged their weakness within their own country's market, let alone the rest of the world. It just seems to me that some people are overstating the health of western markets mostly because Japan no longer has a stranglehold on all fronts.

doncale

Banned
Revolution and Playstation3, combined with DS and PSP, should hopefully turn things around for the Japanese videogame industry over the next 5,6,7 years or so.

Deku Tree

MSNBC said:
The wildest applause of all was reserved for a trailer for the company's new Legend of Zelda game, which reduced some of the seemingly grown men in attendance to tears at the sight of their hero

Was the use of the word "seemingly" really necessary here?

snapty00

Banned
Lately, Japan has had this obsession with "style." Wind Waker, Killer 7, Gun Grave, etc. I mean, Japan is the first one to talk about Westerners' love for good graphics but then turn around and make a shitty game with an elitist style of graphics.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away

Man, is that disturbing....

jett

D-Member
JJConrad said:

Indeed...and I don't like it one bit. There's not one EA game I give a shit about. :p Many, many games other than Madden/NBA/NCAA/Paralympics20XX are more deserving of those sales.

SantaC

snapty00 said:
Lately, Japan has had this obsession with "style." Wind Waker, Killer 7, Gun Grave, etc. I mean, Japan is the first one to talk about Westerners' love for good graphics but then turn around and make a shitty game with an elitist style of graphics.

I like that Japan tries to vary different visual styles in their games. They don't have the obvious plastic look like some of the western games have. *cough* Doom3 and Quake 4. I don't dare to mention more games.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Doom and gloom article.

It's making the problem out in Japan to be more than what it really is. They should have focused on the worldwide problems video games are having. Japanese publishers/developers aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. Sony and Nintendo will make sure of that.

Solid

doncale said:
Revolution and Playstation3, combined with DS and PSP, should hopefully turn things around for the Japanese videogame industry over the next 5,6,7 years or so.
Yeah. I can't wait to see the battle between PSP and DS. Should be interesting and GOOD for us customers.

cvxfreak

Japanese publishers know how to make console games look great. biohazard 4, Silent Hill 3 and Ninja Gaiden are at the top of their game; better than most things western devs achieve.

snapty00

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I like that Japan tries to vary different visual styles their games. They don't have the obvious plastic look like some of the western games have. *cough* Doom3 and Quake 4. I don't dare to mention more games.
I understand that, but my point is that, it seems, many Japanese developers go on and on about how Western developers have an obsession with graphics, when Japanese developers are often the ones making shallow games with an overabundance of style.

guess

snapty00 said:
I understand that, but my point is that, it seems, many Japanese developers go on and on about how Western developers have an obsession with graphics, when Japanese developers are often the ones making shallow games with an overabundance of style.

What are these shallow games?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Rhindle said:
Fall of the Video King

Japan's game publishers used to be on top of the world. Now they're losing out to U.S. and European rivals. What happened?

By N'Gai Croal

NewsweekOct. 18 issue - Nintendo's press conferences at the Los Angeles Electronic Entertainment Expo have always been more raucous than those of its competitors. But recently the company seems to be trying a bit too hard. Earlier this year, for instance, Reginald Fils-Aime, the new executive vice president for North America, stood before journalists and declared, "My name is Reggie and I'm about kicking ass." Then he showed footage from souped-up new versions of classic Nintendo heroes, like the gold-armor-clad heroine of Metroid Prime: Echoes and the daring fur ball Fox McCloud from Star Fox 2. The wildest applause of all was reserved for a trailer for the company's new Legend of Zelda game, which reduced some of the seemingly grown men in attendance to tears at the sight of their hero, Link, all grown up and rendered in stunningly believable 3-D. Was Nintendo trying to recapture the glory days, back in 1998, when it owned a quarter of the U.S. market and sold five of the top 10 videogame-console games?

What's clear is that those glory days are gone—not only for Nintendo, but for all Japanese game publishers. The North American videogame market—the world's largest—has been taking off in recent years, but Japanese publishers aren't reaping the rewards—their share of the U.S. market has plunged to 29 percent in 2004, from 49 percent in 1998, according to John Taylor of Arcadia Investment Corp. While the market share of the Japanese game makers tumbled, Western publishers took up the slack. The U.S. firm Electronic Arts now has nine of the top 20 best-selling games, and other American and European firms like Activision and Take-Two grabbed another six. The Christmas season, usually boom time for game makers, looks bleak for Japanese firms. Meanwhile the Japanese firms can no longer rely on their home market to quickly recoup their investments in new games: console-software sales have shrunk from $3.4 billion in 1998 to $2.2 billion last year, a 35 percent drop. "We need the U.S. in order to be profitable," says Namco vice president Yoichi Haraguchi.

How did Japanese game publishers, who dominated the video- game industry in the 1990s, lose their edge so quickly? Some trends have conspired to put them at a disadvantage. Better visual realism, for instance, has made cultural specificity of paramount importance—Mario, Nintendo's four-foot plumber that starred in many of the company's most popular games, doesn't have the universal appeal he once had. But the Japanese firms have also failed to stay relevant to Western consumers, either through their own design prowess or by courting partnerships. "There are three things that make a hit in the current market," says Simon Cox, editor in chief of the magazine Xbox Nation. "It's either culturally relevant, superrealistic or tied to a strong license. Japan currently scores zero on all three of those with their games."
[SNIP]

Rest of article here: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6199779/site/newsweek/

That first paragraph sounds just a LITTLE biased against nintendo. :p

Not like I'm unbiased, but jeez: that was ridiculous.

SantaC

Nintendo is atleast trying to change things around, but latley they haven't been going anywhere. Let's hope that the DS is succesful. And the Revolution.

jarrod

Banned
The article also fails to make any mention of handheld gaming, where Japanese publishers still rule the roost... and handheld gaming looks ready for some rapid expansion very soon (arguably more than any other market). Funny it's also the one market EA's sorta failed to get a strong foothold in (outside Harry Potter) while Nintendo, Namco, Sega, Capcom, Konami and Square Enix can all claim various million sellers (sometimes multimillion sellers).

Kon Tiki

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
I think gaming is getting better with less Japanese dominance in the industry.
I agree. Games like Fable shown that western devs know more than Japanese when it comes to polish and balance.

etiolate

Banned
Captain%20Corker-O.jpg

"Why, when it came time for a console, we made sure to buy American! "

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It does seem like there are fewer -good- western developers, but that their titles DO sell well compared to the rest of the western developers.

Question -- if we recalculate the 1998 figures to include Rare's Nintendo-published games as WESTERN titles, what are the figures? Nintendo sold a LOT of Goldeneye, Banjo, and the rest... if we're talking western versus eastern titles, I'm not sure the totals given are correct.

doncale

Banned
Japan videogame industry (Nintendo, Sega, Namco, Taito, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix etc) needs to develop stunning new games with standard CGI style graphics. some are already doing this but others (Nintendo, Sega) have been falling behind somewhat, with their 'style' in games. although now, Nintendo has started to go back down this CGI style path with the next Gamecube Zelda and will hopefully continue closer towards it with Revolution, while coupling that with new forms of gameplay/control/interaction.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Reading the rest of the article, it makes a lot of claims but never really backs any of it up.

- Statements like, "Cute and cuddly cartoons like Mario and Zelda were the dominant figures of the '90s, but the icons of the new millennium are gun-toting tough guys like Grand Theft Auto Vice City's Tommy Vercetti—invented outside of Japan," are rather stupid considering the success of Mario (17+ million in the US this gen) and Pokemon.

- It criticizes Sega and Namco for still supporting the arcade saying, "Both firms stubbornly continue to release some of their most popular franchises in arcades first and only later on consoles, which works in Japan, where arcades are still popular. But in the United States, prior success in arcades adds zero promotional value." But gives no examples of a game being hurt be this decesion... infact, there is no example that rightfully applies to this criticism.

- It almost has a point about western publisher picking up more licenses, if it didn't imply that eastern developers are only now starting to do this. The only publisher to really push licenses ahead have been EA; everybody else has been flat.

- It goes on to use THQ, Eidos, and Atari as examples of aligning themselve and getting a "leg up." If the article had tried to paint a more realistic portrait of the market, I might take it more seriously. At least it didn't toss Midway or Acclaim out there as examples.

Brofist

JJConrad said:
It almost has a point about western publisher picking up more licenses, if it didn't imply that eastern developers are only now starting to do this. The only publisher to really push licenses ahead have been EA; everybody else has been flat.

That's really not true, it's just that most of the Japanese games based of licenses never make it outside of the Japanese market.

etiolate

Banned
The sad thing is when you see financial reports, they do concentrate a lot on THQ and Atari. If in the 90s you told me THQ would be alive and well, while Midway suffered to near extinction I would imagine the videogame industry was doomed.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rhindle said:
This quote is all kinds of retarded.

Top Bottom