• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Gaming Sound System Thread

I did a search and couldn't find a thread like this. If there is one then I suppose this will be the new one or the other will come back. Hopefully we can get an official thread like this stickied at some point in the future.

I've got several questions I would like answered, so I figured an official thread + GAF's thinking minds may help answer general and specific questions to next-gen sound system workabouts. I'll update this first post as the thread progresses and other questions arise, unless a mod wants to take it over --I'm just a casual member anyway. I'm not really sure where to begin or what to ask, so this is my best shot.

But I've been wondering...
-What are the best/most affordable surround sound options on the market?
Entirely depends on your budget. Anywhere from $300 worth of Kenwood to $50k of Martin Logan.

-Who is producing superb models?
#Pioneer is nice mid to high range stuff for receivers. Speakers are personal preference and again, budget.
#I'll toss in my own hat for Logitech
#and Klipsch
#Dolby seems to know what they're doing
#Stinkles and his Onkyo...
#Panasonic is well-known and reliable
#hey what the hell.. get in here, Sony!
#If your dad owns Coca~Cola Enterprisees or something, you may want to look into a shit-hot set of Martin Logans.
#For someone who wants to move beyond the typical CE audio products into something that is a bit more up-scale but still at a value price - consider Athena Speakers; subpoint --the Audition Series.
#Paradigm, haven't heard of these but they've been recommended!
#Sherwood should be mentioned
#how could I possibly forget Yamaha!
#Polk Audio speakers are superior
#along with Colt-Steel's Velodyne subwoofer, according to him

Which companies should I avoid?
None of note. Once again all based on personal preference... and not buying something that was popular for desktop PC speakers some 15 years ago. All I know is that I personally own a cheap 2.1 Altec Lansing set for PC gaming and they crapped out on me in like a month.

Oh yeah, and despite what the Apple stores would like you to believe, Bose sucks any donkey's balls. Not only will you get an awkward-sounding system, but it's going to cost you as much as that iPod Nano you just bought for your freakin' spoiled girlfriend/daughter/gay son in college. This isn't just heresay either, folks --Bose blows.

-Receivers? Equilizers? Amplifiers? What the hell? With nowhere to begin except the number of speakers, what other equipment will I [a home theatre n00b] need to complete a superior sound setup?
Stinkles - A receiver, five speakers and a sub woofer. At least. They often come bundled.

Animal - Go for a top of the line reciever with top of the line front speakers. try to get a sub to match. The rears dont really matter. The two front speakers will be doing most of the sound and the sub just fills the room. You want the best possible signal for the speakers, its very important. BREAKING NEWS, ANIMAL - center speakers FTW for nearly everything people from this board will be using any type of surround sound for!

-Is 7.1 as good as it gets? I've heard of 10.2 but that seems like overkill...
It's good, but not amazing leap over 5.1

Quick summary:
#5.1 is plenty.
#7.1 is good.
#10.2 is silly.

-What is optical out? When will/should I worry about it?
Simple - A kind of SPIDF connector - uses light to transmit a digital signal to your receiver from your device (360 for example).
Scientific - Optical out does the same thing as "coaxial" digital out. Don't sweat the difference. I prefer coaxial because of the actual physical connection, but they both pass a digital signal from your device to the receiver, which contains all the data the receiver needs to turn say, a Dolby 5.1 signal into separate channels which it then pipes to your speakers. The receiver also conditions and amplifies the sound. It's likely you'll enjoy greatly the quality of audio from a $500 home theater system.

Check out TOSLINK [optical fibre connection] cables as defined on Wikipedia!

-Dolby Digital? Prologic? What is the difference?
One is "true" clearly spearated and mixed surround - the other fakes it from a stereo signal.

-Wireless setup vs. cable; or, "My room is very wide, will standard issue cables be enough or will I need to buy extensions on average?"

Thanks to Stinkles for answering nearly all of these questions! Hopefully the thread opens up to a discussion and less of a faq... but maybe we have three more pages of setting up to go through.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I'm looking to find myself the best sound system for my price range, as I'm sure many on the board are --especially with the PS3 coming up and high-calibur games on the Xbox 360 rising from Microsoft's secret vault.

We've got a thread for the HD generation of TV sets, what about how they sound? Feel free to discuss your own setups and experience with premium sound equipment, what's on sale, systems to keep an eye out for, etc.

rs7k

Curious about this thread. I've never played my consoles thorugh anything but my TV speakers. I know I'm missing out on a lot, but I want something cheap, not necessarily something SUPER SURROUND FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE. Two speakers is fine.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Here's my basic advice.

Wait a bit. If you're going to spend a lot of money - let's say a grand on a receiver, at least - wait for a receiver with multiple HDMI 1.3s.

5.1 is plenty.
7.1 is good.
10.2 is silly.

What are the best/most affordable surround sound options on the market?

Entirely depends on your budget. Anywhere from $300 worth of Kenwood to $50k of Martin Logan.

-Who is producing superb models? Which companies should I avoid?

Pioneer is nice mid to high range stuff for receivers. Speakers are personal preference and again, budget.

-Receivers? Equilizers? Amplifiers? What the hell? With nowhere to begin except the number of speakers, what other equipment will I [a home theatre n00b] need to complete a superior sound setup?

A receiver, five speakers and a sub woofer. At least. They often come bundled.

It's good, but not amazing leap over 5.1

-What is optical out?

A kind of SPIDF connector - uses light to transmit a digital signal to your receiver from your device (360 for example).

One is "true" clearly spearated and mixed surround - the other fakes it from a stereo signal. That's a very simplistic explanation, however.

Stinkles said:
Here's my basic advice.

Wait a bit. If you're going to spend a lot of money - let's say a grand on a receiver, at least - wait for a receiver with multiple HDMI 1.3s.

5.1 is plenty.
7.1 is good.
10.2 is silly.
What?

You see how little I know. I don't plan on spending too much --just some decent 5.1 for more immersive gameplay. However, I know there are rich bastards on the forum who can buy my family's house on their way to lunch.. why not accommodate their needs also?

suaveric

if you can't spend a lot, go with a Onkyo home theater in a box. They make great stuff and you can usually find it sub $500.

5.1 is more than enough, but 6.1 or 7.1 isn't going to hurt.

Stinkles

Mr. Spinnington said:
Holy shit@review. Looks like they're also ~$400

Stinkles I'll be taking that for the original post. Thanks!

Those are a good value. But you might want to google or froogle an Onkyo Home Theater in a Box Bundle - since it'll give you FM radio and component switching too. Waaaaaay more flexible.

Raistlin

Mr. Spinnington said:
I did a search and couldn't find a thread like this. If there is one then I suppose this will be the new one or the other will come back. Hopefully we can get an official thread like this stickied at some point in the future.

I've got several questions I would like answered, so I figured an official thread + GAF's thinking minds may help answer general and specific questions to next-gen sound system workabouts. I'll update this first post as the thread progresses and other questions arise, unless a mod wants to take it over --I'm just a casual member anyway. I'm not really sure where to begin or what to ask, so this is my best shot.

But I've been wondering...

-What are the best/most affordable surround sound options on the market?

-Who is producing superb models? Which companies should I avoid?

-What is optical out?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I'm looking to find myself the best sound system for my price range, as I'm sure many on the board are --especially with the PS3 coming up and high-calibur games on the Xbox 360 rising from Microsoft's secret vault.

We've got a thread for the HD generation of TV sets, what about how they sound? Feel free to discuss your own setups and experience with premium sound equipment, what's on sale, systems to keep an eye out for, etc.

What is your price range?

At the moment, my low-end recommendation for a still serious system would be ...

Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FYZQSW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(also in black ... search around for best pricing).

av123 X-series Home Theater (5.1 + sub) http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=92.1

Stinkles said:
Those are a good value. But you might want to google or froogle an Onkyo Home Theater in a Box Bundle - since it'll give you FM radio and component switching too. Waaaaaay more flexible.
Good to know.
Onix said:
What is your price range?
No more than $500. And that's pushing it for me.

Flo_Evans

ONKYO recievers are awsome. Alot of people like Harman Kardon or Denon (both make quality stuff) but my 10+ year old onkyo stereo reciver I bought with my 1st paycheck still cranks to this day. (I use it for my PC room) but audio gear is kinda like cars :lol once you find a brand you like you defend it to the death.

Avoid anything that says 'bose' on it unless you like paying through the nose and then trying to convince yourself and other that it sounds good.

Stinkles said:
EDIT: Onix is here. His receiver recc. is good - and ask him about cheap speakers to stay near your budget.
Great! I'll get in touch with the fellow.
Flo_Evans said:
ONKYO recievers are awsome. Alot of people like Harman Kardon or Denon (both make quality stuff) but my 10+ year old onkyo stereo reciver I bought with my 1st paycheck still cranks to this day. (I use it for my PC room) but audio gear is kinda like cars :lol once you find a brand you like you defend it to the death.
Tell me about it. All I know is Klipsch, which is why I started a thread like this.

Flo_Evans

Klipsch sounds really 'harsh' to me but my brother has a set of their computer speakers with a sub and he loves them. They tend to sound louder than they really are and some people are into that. I prefer clean power :D

Raistlin

Mr. Spinnington said:
Good to know.

No more than $500. And that's pushing it for me.

To be honest (and I know you want somethign now) ... you may want to simply hold off until you can save up some more cash.

The problem is that $500 simply can't get all that much ... but there is a HUGE jump in quality when you hit $1000. We're talking the jump from HT-in-a-box, PC-type speakers ... to real audio components and speakers.

I know $1000 is a lot ... but look at it this way. What's the point in spending $500 if you will end up disappointed in what you get? If you can save up $500, then that means you can set that money aside ... and continue saving up. Some things are worth waiting for.

BTW - There are plenty of other options at the ~$1000 price-point. None of them are perfect obviously ... but they are a magnitude better than what you'd get at have the price.

A little thing to add to optical out....you'ill need it if you want Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound....that's why it's also important and not just a higher quality cable.

Onix said:
To be honest (and I know you want somethign now) ... you may want to simply hold off until you can save up some more cash.
rofl clear your PMs. I'm not buying anything within the month and maybe even next --this is the research period.

I'm sure when the time comes to finally make a purchase I'll have several choices for the board to evaluate and at least $1000.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
A little thing to add to optical out....you'ill need it if you want Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound....that's why it's also important and not just a higher quality cable.
Anything else you'd like to add to this would be great. Optical out seems like an unexplored technology to me, but I'm obviously out of the loop. Is it solid? What makes it so much better than a regular cable?

Flo_Evans

180pxtoslinklt0.jpg

the best place to buy cables is online, a fiber optic cable should be $10 or $15. I have seen them at best buy for $100+ :lol

edit:
Mr. Spinnington said:
Anything else you'd like to add to this would be great. Optical out seems like an unexplored technology to me, but I'm obviously out of the loop. Is it solid? What makes it so much better than a regular cable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Stinkles

Optical out does the same thing as "coaxial" digital out. Don't sweat the difference. I prefer coaxial because of the actual physical connection, but they both pass a digital signal from your device to the receiver, which contains all the data the receiver needs to turn say, a Dolby 5.1 signal into separate channels which it then pipes to your speakers.

The receiver also conditions and amplifies the sound. Onix is right of course - you'll get great equipment for lots of money - but he's a demanding audiophile and it's likely you'll enjoy greatly the quality of audio from a $500 home theater system.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
For someone who wants to move beyond the typical CE audio products into something that is a bit more up-scale but still at a value price - consider Athena Speakers. It comes from API (makers of Energy and Mirage), and the Audition Series stuff was extremely well reviewed "the best pair of speakers you can get under $3000" according to some reviewers.

Very nice natural speakers --- not quite as loud or bright as the Klipsch stuff, but very accurate.

Anyways, just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there :).

jstevenson said:
For someone who wants to move beyond the typical CE audio products into something that is a bit more up-scale but still at a value price - consider Athena Speakers. It comes from API (makers of Energy and Mirage), and the Audition Series stuff was extremely well reviewed "the best pair of speakers you can get under $3000" according to some reviewers.

Very nice natural speakers --- not quite as loud or bright as the Klipsch stuff, but very accurate.

Anyways, just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there :).
Thanks!

Flo_Evans

another good bang for the buck speaker is Paradigm (esp if you are a canuck!) I have always wanted a set of B&Ws but they ended up being out of my budget. someday. :p

Stinkles said:
Optical out does the same thing as "coaxial" digital out. Don't sweat the difference. I prefer coaxial because of the actual physical connection, but they both pass a digital signal from your device to the receiver, which contains all the data the receiver needs to turn say, a Dolby 5.1 signal into separate channels which it then pipes to your speakers.

asking for the FAQ and because I've always wondered: is it true that you need a special 'digital' coax cable? I have always used optical and forgot digital coax even exsisted until you mentioned it.

FightyF

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
another good bang for the buck speaker is Paradigm (esp if you are a canuck!) I have always wanted a set of B&Ws but they ended up being out of my budget. someday. :p

There's nothing better than drinking a can of pop and listening to tunes over your new Paradigm speakers on a snowy December day. You should try it Mr. Spinnington. Cold, refreshing, pop.

Anyways, good thread, there's been a lot of focus on displays and not much on the audio.

My suggestion is that if one plans to be a multiconsole owner, go with a reciever.

Raistlin

Okay ... you can PM me now :lol

I'll look up some other stuff to post here in the coming weeks ... there are plenty of candidates.

Drensch

Sherwood should be mentioned. Their cheap stuff is really good, as is their really expensive stuff.

Rd-7108 is real nice.

epik

Mr. Spinnington said:
Holy shit@review. Looks like they're also ~$400

Stinkles I'll be taking that for the original post. Thanks!

The ones you buy now, give you longer speaker wire, and allow you to use your own speaker wire! those are old pics in that review!

epik said:
The ones you buy now, give you longer speaker wire, and allow you to use your own speaker wire! those are old pics in that review!
Good! Great! I'll be adding this question to the OP now:

Wireless setup vs. cables/"My room is very wide, will standard issue cables be enough or will I need to buy extensions on average?"

Animal

Banned
In our house, we have a Yamaha reciever with an old pair of Pioneer front and rear speakers and a huge B&W sub. The Pioneers are some really crazy top of the line things that they dont make anymore. They have 1 low end speaker, 2 mids and 2 tweaters. These things are about 4ft tall and 1ft wide. The sound that comes out of these front speakers is honnestly the best i've ever heard.

Up in my cousins room, we have a Bose system of cube speakers and a bose sub (5.1) with a pioneer reciever which is somewhat lacking compared to the Yamaha we have downstairs.

I've played tons of games of both systems and i must say that if your gonna go for a system, just save till you have enough for what you want, orelse your waisting alot of money on something that isnt what you wanted in the first place. It's worth spending the extra cash on the soundsystem because you'l appreciate it everytime you use it.

Go for a top of the line reciever with top of the line front speakers. try to get a sub to match. The center and the rears dont really matter. The two front speakers will be doing most of the sound and the sub just fills the room. You want the best possible signal for the speakers, its very important.

Focus on the reciever and the two fronts.

I am a proud owner of Polk Audio speakers, Velodyne subwoofer and a Yamaha receiver.

All three are very superior brands. Very.

I think Pioneer is overrated, only their Elite models are worth looking at but you can find much better for far cheaper in a different brand. Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon come to mind here.

If I had the money, I'd splurge on a Harmon Kardon myself.

Animal said:
Go for a top of the line reciever with top of the line front speakers. try to get a sub to match. The center and the rears dont really matter. The two front speakers will be doing most of the sound and the sub just fills the room. You want the best possible signal for the speakers, its very important.

Focus on the reciever and the two fronts.
Not ever having properly experienced surround sound in a relaxed environment, I'm fascinated with rear speakers. I would almost believe the arguement to be opposite and contradictory to the idea of surrounding oneself with sound if you eliminate the rear.

The center speaker doesn't matter?

WTF - the center speaker in movies is used for dialogue and in games is used for positional-based sound.

I'll agree that rear speakers don't matter that much (% of movies that actually put rear speakers to use, not comedies that's for sure) but to say that the center channel doesn't matter is pretty silly.

Raistlin

For movies ... the quality of the center is quite possibly the most important in an HT setup.

Unfortunately, many of them fall short.

Chrono

Banned
10.2 sound setups.... !? o_O

anyway, cool thread, I've got a question... if I don't have many electronics in my setup - just a console and maybe a dvd player - then receivers with hdmi 1.3, and generally any ones with many input options, are useless to me right? I mean I would need switching if there isn't room to connect directly to the tv. I could just connect a PS3 with hdmi to the tv and use optical out to the receiver for sound... am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

Switching is generally used if you have multiple rooms (or zones) where you want to have sound.

For example, if you have speakers in your dining room where you want music for guests - you simply connect them to the B terminals.

Your A terminals are used primarily for your home theatre.

Turn on both A and B terminals if you want to have music throughout the dining room and your entertainment room.

Miroku

B&W speakers are quite nice. the lower priced ones can sound a little boxy, but the 703 on up to the 800 series are amazing speakers. So are Aerial Acoustics, if you can afford them.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Bose isn't that bad--they're just over priced (certainly better than most HTIAB setups).

I've got Boston Acoustics speakers that I purchased separately, one piece at a time over the past year. And I love it. Bookshelves for the fronts and rears, Boston center channel and Boston sub which I just added a couple months ago. It is magnificent.

Zaptruder

Banned
tahrikmili said:
Logitech Z-5500 is what I'll be getting.. That, or the Z-5450 because wireless rear speakers are a great idea, but I'm not sure I can find one where I live..

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10928

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486

The catch is that you need power plugs for the rear speakers anyway.

It's easier to just find very long cabling and route intelligently.

At least that's what I've done with my Z680s.

Zaptruder said:
The catch is that you need power plugs for the rear speakers anyway.

It's easier to just find very long cabling and route intelligently.

At least that's what I've done with my Z680s.

They don't work with batteries?..

Top Bottom