• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
mmm interesting is this spread across multiple games?
My baseline 11TF prediction would be beast with these numbers 16TF

Next gen GPU jump might be bigger than last gen after all, didn't thought that was possible

That's worse lol
So with these rdna slides did you change ur tflop perdiction since 8tflop navi = 12 tflop vega?

TLZ

Banned
It’s dead jim.

Good. No need for that 4tf baseline crap crippling next gen from the start.

For what its worth here's May's NPD Results. No idea if legit. Keep in mind this is the month that the Discless Xbox came out. Dat xbox collapse. Ready to dominate next gen though because of cloud streaming or something.

Xbox: 86k
PS4: 137k
NSW: 216k
Xbox One so sade mane :messenger_crying:

vpance

small_rdna-die-size.jpg

Apparently according to AMD slides : 1 Tflop RDNA/Navi is more than 1.25x than 1 Tflop GCN/Vega.

We notice RX 5700 XT with 9.75 Tflops is 14% faster than Vega 64 with 12.6 Tflops, so 1 Tflop RDNA/Navi is 1.47x 1 Tflop GCN/Vega.

So if the PS5/Scarlett (Navi) have 9 Tflops for example it would give 13.2 Tflops in GCN/Vega, honestly i find it not bad and the difference is likely to be huge with
the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X which are based on GCN/Polaris (2016).

If this is true that's pretty comforting to know. But we can only know for sure after the cards are released.

Yeah a little for $500 my minimum prediction its 11TF instead of 12TF

I assume that navi 11TF = like 13.5 or something right. Why just be good for console gpu performance?

In regards to price i dont feel confident in 499, you say they have pc parts so they are scalable but sony didnt budge with ps4 pro price. Them shits are still like 399 or 349

I don't follow but im not set in a price point ananyways

I did, im talking about the 1.4x multiplier seen on benchmarks
In regards to price i was talking about how ps5 being 499 is kind of unlikely because they didnt budge in regards to ps4 pro. Ps4pro price hasnt dropped in a while. So if the ps5 will 499 it will take a long time for the price to drop which will mean low sales. I dont think sony wants to sell the console at loss for that long but i could be wrong

SonGoku

In regards to price i was talking about how ps5 being 499 is kind of unlikely because they didnt budge in regards to ps4 pro. Ps4pro price hasnt dropped in a while
The PS4Pro was designed to profit at $399
So if the ps5 will 499 it will take a long time for the price to drop which will mean low sales. I dont think sony wants to sell the console at loss for that long but i could be wrong
I think early adopters will buy it for $500 regardless, they can drop it to $400 in 1 year.

The PS4Pro was designed to profit at $399

I think early adopters will buy it for $500 regardless, they can drop it to $400 in 1 year.
Goddamn i hope your right, next gen has the opportunity to be something special. A generation with little to no bottlenecks. A 11tf machine and ryzen cpu could finally give us console pesants 120fps gaming lol.

I am really scared to think what sony devs can do with this shit.

Thats never gonna happen lol
Devs will still target 30fps to make the most out of the hw
I mean arent these specs 120fps capeable? I know that devs will target 30 fps like fucking idiots, but i hope that the specs are capable that way a dev that gives a shit can pull it off.

i can see the cod devs doing it since they were able to have 60fps accross all their games and are one of the few devs that value higher frame rates.

Maybe have pc like options. 1080 60fps/120 1440p 60 etc.

I'm guessing 16GB GDDR6 +4GB DDR4 for PS5. Don't know what's going on with that Xbox render and mixed chips...18-20GB??? Weird. In the PC space Nvidia is using GDDR6 for 1660 ti up I believe, and AMD is going with GDDR6 on Navi 10. Anaconda is GDDR6. Seems like the economy of scale long term would trend towards GDDR6.
Somone pointed out the difference but i am still confused. How will an hmb2 solution affect perferomance? will it worsen or better? I hear that gddr6 is much faster than hbm

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Somone pointed out the difference but i am still confused. How will an hmb2 solution affect perferomance? will it worsen or better? I hear that gddr6 is much faster than hbm
I'm not a big believer in the HBM2+DDR4 rumor. In fact, I still haven't found the rumor that tells the alleged speed this salvage/cheap HBM2 was supposed to run. These are 2 videos that contain a wealth of info concerning HBM2 vs GDDR6:

ethomaz

Banned
Oh btw can somone explain to me what is a CU in a gpu? how does it translate to the amount of tflops
CU is acronym of Compute Unit, in simple terms is the name that AMD give to the block of 64 Shaders processors and TMUs.

These Shaders Units are in simple terms what execute the operations/instructions inside the GPU and each Shader Unit can execute 2 FP32 instructions per cycle of clock per second.

FLOPS is a unit of how many FP32 instructions a processor can execute in one second.

In case of AMD: number of CUs x 64 (number of Shader Units per CU) x 2 (FP32 instructions per cycle of clock) x clock

TBiddy

Spinning Bird Kick, I just want to say, I often lurk on the shithole SJW hellscape that is resetera and would agree with the points you made about next gen in the next gen thread over there. I noticed any critism or realistic prognastic on xbox's position in the market is strictly forbidden over there. Shame they banned you but i think you will add alot here on neogaf. Assuming your the same poster lol.

You won't get banned at Resetera for being critical of Microsoft. What's with the whole "i'm a victim" card?

• MS is far removed from Navi (either very early foundation or next-next-gen?)
    • Too much attention paid to every Navi info drop or spec leak - why the intense interest if you're using it too?
    • Lockhart is still a thing and it will be discless
    • probably have something in the works to beat the 12.9 TF PS dev summit leak but not by a significant amount

Basically, and based on my knowledge on technical stuff like this (which is zero), it appears that Ms will once again resort to increasing clock speeds in hopes of closing the gap as much as possible, right?

pawel86ck

Banned
Consoles are cheap anyway but of course it depends where you live. There are countries where people earn 2500 euro on average, and there are also poor countries with 400 euro salaries. I will gladly pay additional 100$ because if PS5 hardware will be much faster games will look better for the next 7 years. If there are people who consider 100$ a big difference then how they are planning to buy 50$ games? People like that obviously cant afford gaming on new platform and shouldnt buy any next gen console even at 399$.

Last edited:
CU is acronym of Compute Unit, in simple terms is the name that AMD give to the block of 64 Shaders processors and TMUs.

These Shaders Units are in simple terms what execute the operations/instructions inside the GPU and each Shader Unit can execute 2 FP32 instructions per cycle of clock per second.

FLOPS is a unit of how many FP32 instructions a processor can execute in one second.

In case of AMD: number of CUs x 64 (number of Shader Units per CU) x 2 (FP32 instructions per cycle of clock) x clock
Thanks broski

Basically, and based on my knowledge on technical stuff like this (which is zero), it appears that Ms will once again resort to increasing clock speeds in hopes of closing the gap as much as possible, right?

From E3 we know Halo is launching in Fall 2020. It's difficult to imagine a new hardware launch with anything else. No other first party title cross gen would generate that amount of buzz.

That far distant launch date, the under performance of the dev units in the wild and a very real no show of anything of substance shown at E3 points to MS waiting on something technical not being delivered or available.

AMD's Renoir project is a contender. An APU supposedly containing Navi+Zen2.They're already likely waiting on AMD's RT implementation anyway rather than hand rolling their own like Sony.

It goes some way in explaining the intense interest in standalone Navi which I don't believe they have hands on experience of.

If not waiting on Renoir delivery, it seems there's still a puzzle piece missing to get them over the performance hump. A bigger chip in combination with a node shrink perhaps?

All this scrutinizing the Scarlett board in the E3 video feels like total horseshit. It's a marketing video showing a render. Worthless.

TBiddy

From E3 we know Halo is launching in Fall 2020. It's difficult to imagine a new hardware launch with anything else. No other first party title cross gen would generate that amount of buzz.
That far distant launch date, the under performance of the dev units in the wild and a very real no show of anything of substance shown at E3 points to MS waiting on something technical not being delivered or available.
AMD's Renoir project is a contender. An APU supposedly containing Navi+Zen2.They're already likely waiting on AMD's RT implementation anyway rather than hand rolling their own like Sony.
It goes some way in explaining the intense interest in standalone Navi which I don't believe they have hands on experience of.
If not waiting on Renoir delivery, it seems there's still a puzzle piece missing to get them over the performance hump. A bigger chip in combination with a node shrink perhaps?
All this scrutinizing the Scarlett board in the E3 video feels like total horseshit. It's a marketing video showing a render. Worthless.

That's a lot of guesswork in one post. The Nextbox follows the same schedule as the X1X. Shown at E3 and released in November the following year - you are aware of that, right? If memory serves, Microsoft didn't show much of Scorpio either at E3 (when Scorpio was revealed) and yet it it's still the best performing console out there, with the best looking games on it.

You honestly think that the Nextbox is waiting for a new APU from AMD? Why do you think they have no experience with Navi? Why do you think they are waiting on "something technical not available"? What do you base your wild conclusions that "the dev kits are under performing" on? Do you know if they are performing worse than expected or if they are performing as expected?

I get that we're all invested in this race, one way or another, but let's keep it real, yeah?

That's a lot of guesswork in one post. The Nextbox follows the same schedule as the X1X. Shown at E3 and released in November the following year - you are aware of that, right? If memory serves, Microsoft didn't show much of Scorpio either at E3 (when Scorpio was revealed) and yet it it's still the best performing console out there, with the best looking games on it.

You honestly think that the Nextbox is waiting for a new APU from AMD? Why do you think they have no experience with Navi? Why do you think they are waiting on "something technical not available"? What do you base your wild conclusions that "the dev kits are under performing" on? Do you know if they are performing worse than expected or if they are performing as expected?

I get that we're all invested in this race, one way or another, but let's keep it real, yeah?

Of course it's all guesswork, we're all speculating. Unless some people are not.

I prefer to watch actions rather than words for indications of intent.

No need to get hot under the collar. You're allowed to disagree and I imagine many will.

Last edited:

TBiddy

If course it's all guesswork, we're all speculating. Unless some people are not.

I prefer to watch actions rather than words for indications of intent.

No need to get hot under the collar. You're allowed to disagree and I imagine many will.

You didn't answer any of my questions.

Wrong. You should be asking how many gamecubes duct taped together are these new gpu's.
This meme has become very annoying and ignorant I must say.

GameCube didn't even support programmable shaders... any sort of comparison is disingenuous to say the least.

Consoles are cheap anyway but of course it depends where you live. There are countries where people earn 2500 euro on average, and there are also poor countries with 400 euro salaries. I will gladly pay additional 100$ because if PS5 hardware will be much faster games will look better for the next 7 years. If there are people who consider 100$ a big difference then how they are planning to buy 50$ games? People like that obviously cant afford gaming on new platform and shouldnt buy any next gen console even at 399$.
That's why PS4 7nm will be a hit in developing countries. PS5 price is irrelevant.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Yeah let's keep it real "best looking games on it" right and if only. Best performing wow what a feat coming out a year later and more expensive par the course huh?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This gave me a good chuckle. Of course you would say that.:messenger_winking:

The Project Scorpio 2016 render was to scale compared to final Xbox One X APU and showed the same APU die, RAM layout, etc. They even put the borderline corny "4K" logo in the corner of the die on their final retail version.

There's still discussion regarding the actual RAM config, but it's feasible based on the render that Scarlett/Anaconda's APU is 370-390mm² with 24GB Samsung -HC14 GDDR6 on 384-bit bus.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gotta go with enigma here. We are getting a slow turn around now ever since the PS5 being more powerful statement hit mainstream

Even Phil used specific language, and not his "open for a million meanings to be debated by fanboys in all camps" he usually goes with.

Aceofspades

Banned
So power doesn't matter now according to MS insiders?!

Yeah sure 🤣

Just bear with me for a second, lets get back to the moment Sony decided to reveal PS5 what happened the next day?

• We had all MS insiders on twitter and Reeee downplaying PS5 despite Cerny not givong a single number.
  • "Xbox is more advanced" articles started popping up.
  • DF video analysis for PS5 and their famous I don't think Sony want to talk about TFs knowing what we know...Im paraphrasing here.
  • Reeeee is infested with MS so called " insiders" who kept pushing the narrative of MS having two models "Lockhart" the cheap model and an all out powerhouse of "Anaconda" which will blow anything Sony does out of the water. One user started creating a power table that always shows Ana as the most powerful machine. You doubt that you will get mocked and banned.
  • Narrative was Sony was scared of MS E3 so they had to say something 🤣...MS will show the most powerful machine to grace this earth.
  • Notice how the conversation is still about power from all those "insiders" ... Here come E3, snd MS has started to backtrack on power talk...then we had GI tweet about PS5 being more powerful.
  • All MS shills went silent for a while....then after long silence we started having "power doesn't matter" talk from them.
  • Now the narrative is "Game pass" and ecosystems 🤣
DeJafuckingVu to 2013 🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom